"Doctor" David Marcus

13»

Comments

• Happyface wrote: »
    :-(

When Happyface posts a sad face:

lr5gh07i1m6r.png
  • As if it couldn't get any worse...

the sheer plethora of SCI nodes in missions makes this "enhancement" even more diabolical.

i get that events should be challenging, but to change this after people spent merits/chronitons/inventory to unvault or level him is just outright deceitful
  • ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Despite really liking this event when I see the SCI/ENG-s now I :unamused:
  • I must say I'm rather enjoying having an abundance of Bonus Crew so far. It really makes all the work i put into my crew feel more worth it.
  • From now on, before I click on any link that DB may have posted an update, I'm going to play the theme from the Benny Hill Show in the background.

• J.D. "Doctorate of Jurisprudence": Attorney - not medical, but still referred to as "Doctor"

I have a JD and actively practice law- I am not ever referred to as Doctor, nor is any other attorney I know. Any attorney who asks you to call them "Doctor" is likely a bad person and a bad attorney.

I've always found this interesting about law professionals. I'm a psychologist and a lot of my colleagues get hung up on the "doctor" title, either because they work in integrated care (and want the respect afforded to the doctor rank), in academia (because they have become addicted to the praise and adoration of fresh young minds), or like me they work in the criminal justice system and have to do whatever they can to leverage authority.

Fun fact, Nichelle Nichols is technically a "doctor," although we'll never hear her referred to as that. She was the commencement speaker at the university my dad worked security at when I was a kid (one of two Trek autographs I have), and commencement speakers receive a doctoral letter (albeit honorary, thus we don't typically refer to them as doctor post-commencement).

There's been enough canon evidence for me to believe that Deanna Troi would actually be Dr. Deanna Troi if not in Starfleet (versus Ezri Dax who is more likely to be a clinical social worker or some similar sub-doctoral profession). "Counselor" appears to be more of a position rather than being reflective of training, as both Troi and Ezri are referred to as counselors but their training appears to be grossly different. Having a position title different from one's training degree and level is industry standard for public sector mental health today; some of my job titles over the years have ranged from therapist to "psychological services associate" depending on what state and agency I've worked for.

I don't get my boxers in a twist over Troi not being called a doctor, though, half because most people wouldn't have the insight into her likely training (and given that she's never called "doctor" on screen), half because she does have the counselor trait, and 0.4% because there are several psychologists (like me) who don't get hung up on being called doctor. But so as far as the issue at hand, changing the trait to "physician" makes good sense.

My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the change to "physician" is finally happening. Thanks to all who participated in this thread.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could just add the Scientist trait, which I don't think exists IIRC.

Many of the game's scientists are identified by their discipline. Ex Astrophysicist, Exobiologist, etc.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Davey1983Davey1983 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    academia (because they have become addicted to the praise and adoration of fresh young minds),

As someone who works in academia, I can tell you have no experience working with 'fresh young minds'. Being called Doctor in academia has nothing to do with getting praise from our students. Wonder down to your local university- I can guarentee you that you will not find any students singing our praises because we are called doctor, much less any professor who is addicted to such praise (because we don't get much, if any, praise from our students).

It is mostly a respect thing-- very hard to teach a class of a few hundred students if they don't respect you the moment you walk through those doors. The seniors and grad students all call me by my first name, and I have no issue with that.
  • I can explain the attorney issue better--Attorneys have historically (at least in the English/American common law system) been given the honorific "Esquire"--the highest rank of nobility that could be achieved in feudal England simply by one's effort and study, rather than heredity. In mid-20th C. America, the University of California tried to use that to pay law school professors less than other "Doctors" with PhDs, because the law school degree was not technically a Doctorate. So law schools across America changed the degree to Juris Doctor, so that their graduates would be treated with the same respect in Academia as other professionals who had attained the highest degree in their field. But in terms of the honorific, Esq. is still the convention (or informally, Counselor (Colonel in the American South) between members of the Bar).
  • RogueAngyl wrote: »

There's been enough canon evidence for me to believe that Deanna Troi would actually be Dr. Deanna Troi if not in Starfleet (versus Ezri Dax who is more likely to be a clinical social worker or some similar sub-doctoral profession). "Counselor" appears to be more of a position rather than being reflective of training, as both Troi and Ezri are referred to as counselors but their training appears to be grossly different.
    I seem to recall that Ezri consistently referred to herself as an Assistant Councelor (emphasis mine), and frequently stressed that her training was incomplete. It seemed like she was in something akin to Residency when suddenly becoming Dax sidetracked her, and became DS9's "Councelor" in the absence of anyone more qualified (how did that happen?).

But it was your first comment that surprised me.
    There doesn't seem to be any evidence that Troi held an MD, and I'm not sure she'd have had the time.
    Unless there is no such thing as a Masters in Psychology? Because she definitely studied something at the University of Betazed, and that was probably after Starfleet Academy not before (because who sends Freshmen out to deal with patients).

And while Troi was more expert on Romulan technology than either Geordi or Data (somehow), I can't recall any evidence that she'd even had a first aid class, or would be particularly useful if your injuries were physical.

I am genuinely curious here: what did you see that I missed? Because filling in the characters' background is kinda how I have my fun.
    edited March 2018
    SpyOne wrote: »

There's been enough canon evidence for me to believe that Deanna Troi would actually be Dr. Deanna Troi if not in Starfleet (versus Ezri Dax who is more likely to be a clinical social worker or some similar sub-doctoral profession). "Counselor" appears to be more of a position rather than being reflective of training, as both Troi and Ezri are referred to as counselors but their training appears to be grossly different.
    . . .
    There doesn't seem to be any evidence that Troi held an MD, and I'm not sure she'd have had the time.
    Unless there is no such thing as a Masters in Psychology? Because she definitely studied something at the University of Betazed, and that was probably after Starfleet Academy not before (because who sends Freshmen out to deal with patients).
    . . .

If I understand it right, a doctor of psychology or psychiatry would have a PhD in our current educational systems, not an MD. Any psychologists or psychiatrists care to comment? I find it entirely realistic to think Deanna earned a PhD or the Betazoid equivalent.
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭

. . .
    . . .

If I understand it right, a doctor of psychology or psychiatry would have a PhD in our current educational systems, not an MD. Any psychologists or psychiatrists care to comment? I find it entirely realistic to think Deanna earned a PhD or the Betazoid equivalent.
    Psychiatrists are absolutely MD's, they do their Psych residency after four years of medical school. (At least in the US.) Psychologists are not MD's.
    edited March 2018
    Magisse wrote: »

. . .
    . . .

Psychiatrists are absolutely MD's, they do their Psych residency after four years of medical school. (At least in the US.) Psychologists are not MD's.

I stand corrected! Your response prompted me to research the difference between the two. Based on what I uncovered, I'm thinking Deanna was a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. So she probably had a PhD, not an MD.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭

. . .
    . . .

I stand corrected! Your response prompted me to research the difference between the two. Based on what I uncovered, I'm thinking Deanna was a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. So she probably had a PhD, not an MD.
    Seems reasonable. Hard to know what the nebulous "Counselor" title includes for education way out in the Trek future.
  • WundigoreWundigore ✭✭✭
    Come to think of it, why is Gillian Taylor a "doctor"? She's not an MD either. She is, as noted in her other trait, a biologist.

She is a doctor, just for whales 😀
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wundigore wrote: »
    Come to think of it, why is Gillian Taylor a "doctor"? She's not an MD either. She is, as noted in her other trait, a biologist.

Maritime Doctor?
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wundigore wrote: »

Maritime Doctor?

She is a Wet Vet