Home The Bridge
Options

Do you care which Faction wins a Faction Event?

SMMSMM ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in The Bridge

Do you care which Faction wins a Faction Event? 221 votes

I always pick my personal favourite from the selection.
6% 14 votes
I tend to support a faction for gameplay reasons.
68% 151 votes
Inadvertantly only because I have leftover missions that I want to use up.
5% 12 votes
No. I try to send equal numbers of missions for each Faction.
5% 12 votes
My allegence changes during the game.
4% 11 votes
Other.
9% 20 votes
I avoid playing Faction Events.
0% 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think that the issuing of free and compensatory faction mission tokens spoils the event for some players.

For example I think that the lead faction sometimes tends to have the easiest missions. I support them for the tactical advantage. This is spoiled by free and compensatory tokens issued.

Sometimes however I support a Faction for the components and equipment. This is not spoiled by free and compensatory tokens issued.

I just want people's thoughts on the matter.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gameplay, I guess. If there's a faction I haven't yet completed I'll go them just to get a bit further along towards the gold star, but last week put the star on the Hirogen, so there's only Ferengi Traditionalists and Dominion left for me. If neither of them are up, it'll just be whoever I need for parts. If we're being honest, I don't have the patience to work out which faction has missions my crew are more suited to anyway on any given week, so they just go wherever they're sent and like it.
  • Options
    I pick the ones that drop faction only items that I might need. I lieu of that, I'll choose the ones I might need for a future character.
    They say time is the fire in which we burn.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick the ones that drop faction only items that I might need. I lieu of that, I'll choose the ones I might need for a future character.
    This. And if there's two I need, I'll usually run the one that isn't winning the event since I'll likely run the winner during the post event bonus period.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to disagree with OP, but we've repeatedly proven that the free faction tokens have absolutely no effect on the outcome.

Right now I tend to support the faction that I need items from, because they will ALSO get a bonus after the event. The most important part of that is the 1/2 hour speedup, the extra credits and the 5 chronitons.

I'm 95% confident Section 31 will win this event.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    I read the fluff and support whichever faction I want to win for the storyline. Even though this will have no future impact on the story whatsoever, which is unfortunate. I really wish that it made a long-term difference to the story which faction won.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be sure, I pick faction for items I currently need. This can change during event.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hate to disagree with OP, but we've repeatedly proven that the free faction tokens have absolutely no effect on the outcome.

Interesting. The last Event was won by the Maquis and Maquis tokens were provided just before the event.

I have been running Section 31 missions this week for the parts and will continue to favour them in this event. This despite the Maquis bonus.

There has however been a lot of Federation mission freebies and compensation passed out this week. It will be close I think. Fed missions are good for parts too.

You can't as it were 'prove' anything as you suggest because there is no control event with which to compare. All that can be gleaned is an association or correlation. The last event would indicate (or support) .such a hypothesis but the numbers involved are to few from which to draw a valid conclusion. It is a fact that issuing freebies affects the 'score' however the real question is whether that effect is significant to alter the final win/loose result. I believe it depends on the factions that are involved as to whether freebies affects the result.

That being said, moving away from the statistical analysis, for some people the event may be spoiled because of the appearance of a possibility of an effect. I created the poll to explore this.

Either way, to eliminate the possibility of freebies affecting the result, the best thing would be to avoid presenting event faction tokens after the event has been announced.
  • Options

Dilly, Dilly....Tilly, Tilly?

Anyway...yes. I pick the Faction based on what faction-only items I need to farm. With this upcoming event, I'll likely go heavy on Section 31 - I need some 0* Holoprograms, and 1* Security Codes. However, I may run a few Federation missions...I need some "Ancient Films" and "Orchids" too.
  • Options
    Whichever one is dropping faction only items that I need, otherwise it's not important.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a certain pecking order to factions and the top one available will almost always win. I don't have this perfect, but close.

Section31>>>>> Augment> KCA> Federation> Klingon> the rest
  • Options
    I pick and choose which factions I have better luck at. Gut feelings. Not very scientific.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually run missions for whichever faction is not winning that I need to improve my standing. Then when the event is over, i get to run a bunch of missions for the winner and improve my standing there, too.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    As long as it's mostly same with difference in flavor - better loot or easier missions are 99% of reasoning. But there are times when I say "I'm not supporting this s***" and move to other faction despite all the advantages.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always go for whichever faction I need the most faction-only items from.
    Last event was Maquis for 2* Encoded Communiques.
    This week will be Section 31 for 0* Holoprograms, 0*, 1*, and 2* Security Codes.

If Federation is available often times I'll do them for 0* Ancient Films or Orchids if I happen to need them.
    If Augments are in an event I do them for the 0* Medical Experiments and 2* Science Experiments.
    If KCA then 0* Gagh and 2* Bloodwine.
    If Terran Empire then 1* Terran Slave Emblems.

I rarely need anything from other factions.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gameplay reasons - nothing to do with the lame story ideas, usually Its because I need basic holograms (Section 31 anybody) and they don't frikin' drop from normal gameplay!!

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    it's always for the faction items.. SEC31, Augment, Fed, Maquis, KCA and Klingon being the most important to me.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMM wrote: »

Interesting. The last Event was won by the Maquis and Maquis tokens were provided just before the event.

I have been running Section 31 missions this week for the parts and will continue to favour them in this event. This despite the Maquis bonus.

There has however been a lot of Federation mission freebies and compensation passed out this week. It will be close I think. Fed missions are good for parts too.

You can't as it were 'prove' anything as you suggest because there is no control event with which to compare. All that can be gleaned is an association or correlation. The last event would indicate (or support) .such a hypothesis but the numbers involved are to few from which to draw a valid conclusion. It is a fact that issuing freebies affects the 'score' however the real question is whether that effect is significant to alter the final win/loose result. I believe it depends on the factions that are involved as to whether freebies affects the result.

That being said, moving away from the statistical analysis, for some people the event may be spoiled because of the appearance of a possibility of an effect. I created the poll to explore this.

Either way, to eliminate the possibility of freebies affecting the result, the best thing would be to avoid presenting event faction tokens after the event has been announced.

This isn't your first post on the matter:
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/18044#Comment_18044

What happened that event? Augments won.

Federation will probably win this event, but it won't be because of the 10 transmissions. It'll be because Federation tend to win every faction event they are a part of simply because they are the Federation and they are usually first in the list.

The value of 10 transmissions is about 100 merits. That is really nothing in comparison to anything else people could use to decide which shuttles to run.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to care about which faction won, in part due to the new crew that would result but mostly based on what the story was and which faction’s goals I supported the most.

Then I realized I'd rather farm hard-to-get items instead. I predict Section 31 will win in a runaway victory over the Federation.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Care?
    No, I couldn't care less which faction wins an event ... I hardly ever run winning faction shuttles after an event either:

- I've probably obtained all the components I need during the event anyway.
    - I try not to level e.g. SCI after SCI after SCI crew so am usually levelling someone for the next event during a Faction event ... this means that right after an event ends I immediately switch to faction shuttles that have items I need because often crew will be stuck at a certain level needing faction specific items ... e.g. this past week it was Section 31/Augment and KCA (ran all three factions during the event during the event).

- I'd much rather have these types of shuttle boosts right after Galaxy events to be honest ... for the winning faction in a galaxy event ... I find that choosing factions in such an event is even more worthless.

Free tokens spoiling an event?
    Nah, not even close ... you can buy up a ton for very little Merits ... I usually start a faction event with easily 30+ per faction ... at 1000VP you can already but 16 of choice with the Merits you gained during the threshold rewards

One Faction being easier?
    Nope ... depends on your crew, what is easy for you could be difficult for me because we have a different selection of crew going into the event. Do I have event crew because I purchased an event pack (I never do, but many people I know do)? How many bonus crew do I have etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since last week we got two new characters that need something from the Section 31 Faction, I will be doing Section 31 this week.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    ]

There is zero statistical analysis in this post, so there's nothing to move away from.

It is very easy ... Section 31 has prize drop items ... Federation has many, many, many crew who need their stuff (Vulcans, all Fed. crew etc. etc.) ... Bajorans have, well ... https://stt.wiki/wiki/Bajoran_Faction_Center

I'll be running Section 31 and Federation shuttles all weekend.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    by gameplay reasons i meant the story. but it never matters because the one closest always wins or fed.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes however I support a Faction for the components and equipment.

For multi-faction shuttle events, I do this 100% of the time. The faction that drops the most useful, in demand items is the faction I use. I couldn't care less about storyline reasons for selecting a faction.

If they wanted to truly make the game so people selected factions based on favorites or for storyline purposes, they would have to eliminate the concept of faction exclusive loot.

• Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    V. wrote: »
    by gameplay reasons i meant the story. but it never matters because the one closest always wins or fed.

Snort. Story. That's a good one.

And does anyone actually run the winning faction "bonus" shuttles after running them all weekend?

• Options
    I personally vote other, because while I like to read the flavour text for all the factions, and read the premise of the faction event, in the end, it always boils down to required items. For me, this faction event will be 75% Section 31 and 25% Federation simply because that seems like a good ratio that will bring me the items I need to keep working on my crew.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    And does anyone actually run the winning faction "bonus" shuttles after running them all weekend?
    Depends on winning faction. I just finished my last Maquis run because, well, all those Communiques deplete pretty fast.

Well, also I needed chrons for leveling more than KCA and 31 stuff.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some faction items although 3/4* Components are usually a consideration as well.

4* Casings/Clothing Patterns I'm often short on. Neither are easy to farm with Chrons.

Most 3* Components I'm short on. Polyalloys, Alcohol and Clothing Patterns being the most frequent offenders. Some 3* components have pretty poor drop rates.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals