Home The Bridge
Options

New Cornwell clearly shows graphics quality degradation

voz1ujray36p.png

I remember someone did more comparsions and show differences between good and poor graphics.
And I remember they said they listened.
And nothing has changed.
Leader of the Czechoslovak Fleet (Starbase level 134). We are recruiting!

My Cryostasis Vault

Comments

• Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    They said they listened, not that they agreed or would change anything. ;)

I'd guess Cornwell and much of the crew we'll see for a while has been in the pipeline for a while so even if they are changing anything...
  • Options
    arjunaarjuna ✭✭✭
    While I agree the new Cornwell isn't the same quality as Bev I am happy she also isn't mirror data. It appears to me that they have gone to a new style (all chars in 2018 and the last quarter of 2017) for the art work that lacks detail and can be churned out quicker as they have to churn out 3-5 new pieces a week. I would like to see them go back to the detailed style they had before but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornwell is so much better than Scotty and Tyler in this event that I can't complain about her. Yes, she's clearly lower quality, but she's not bad like the others.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys complain too much. I think the artwork is pretty good. Seems like no matter how good the artwork is a group of people complain about it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys complain too much. I think the artwork is pretty good. Seems like no matter how good the artwork is a group of people complain about it.

Look at the hair in the original post again.
  • Options
    looks less like what I would call artwork and more like a photoshop filter on an image, modified cutout or paint daubs. They probably want to spend their budget on people to crush bugs etc over an actual artist.
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornwell looks like she's wearing a folded, soggy paper grocery bag on her head.
  • Options
    kobakoba ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

This is not true. Im not complaining. I simply compared two images and conclude that quality degradation is obvious.
    I also didnt wrote that someone promised any improvement.

What do you want? That I say that image quality is perfect, when a crewmember does not even look like him (like Mirror Vic Fontaine)? Or when image is clearly wrong (like Klingon O'Brien's moustache)? Or when detail quality is clearly decreased (like new Cornwell)?

...but that does not mean I wont buy the fifth star of her :)
    Leader of the Czechoslovak Fleet (Starbase level 134). We are recruiting!

My Cryostasis Vault
  • Options
    The hair is definitely rushed and lacks detail. However, this is far from being one of the worst character art out there. The likeness is unmistakeable, the uniform patterning is clear and faithful, the pose is appropriate.

It's serviceable and probably mid-way: we can all name dozens of characters that have worse art than this. She also doesn't suffer from the laziness of the recycled Mayweather and Archer artworks, which is also a plus.

And I'd rank her higher than some day-1 crew such as Ensign Crusher (incoherent light, dumb expression, unnatural pose). Is it degradation if the problem was already present on day one?

Meh. I've always found that the art has always been a mixed bag - good on average, sometimes rushed, sometimes just bad. This a bit rushed.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    koba wrote: »

This is not true. Im not complaining. I simply compared two images and conclude that quality degradation is obvious.
    I also didnt wrote that someone promised any improvement.

What do you want? That I say that image quality is perfect, when a crewmember does not even look like him (like Mirror Vic Fontaine)? Or when image is clearly wrong (like Klingon O'Brien's moustache)? Or when detail quality is clearly decreased (like new Cornwell)?

Ha! Same here. Lousy artwork but still like the show character so I’ll drop the $25 to get her FF

• Options
    Grant77 wrote: »

Look at the hair in the original post again.

Maybe as a prisoner of the Klingons The Admiral didn’t have access to a sonic shower.
  • Options
    The art on the initial 150ish crew at launch was amazing.

Really? O_o

Look at Ensign Crusher and tell me he's amazing.

Oh, I do understand the desire to say that the initial art was consistently amazing and now it's a mixed bag. If we can agree on that we can say that there has been degradation.

But if there were horrible characters at day one, this is nothing new.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nevermind.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I guess I could get used to the zombified look with 8 bit coloring, lol
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Why even bother with color? Just go full Captain Proton.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭
    you know different people could be doing different character art and it looks to me that this might be just a variant between 2 styles of art
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neos472 wrote: »
    you know different people could be doing different character art and it looks to me that this might be just a variant between 2 styles of art

Yes, I agree that could be the issue, different people, HOWEVER, style vs proper use of tools may just be something we have to disagree with.

Why? New Admiral looks like you took a pic on your monitor and changed the color depth to 256 colors (8-bit) getting rid of most gradiations.

That in an art class doesn't get you 'hey you've got a different style' points, it gets you a lower letter grade.
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Why even bother with color? Just go full Captain Proton.

Capt. Proton is a much more black and white issue...

DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Guest  wrote: »
    koba wrote: »
    Ha! Same here. Lousy artwork but still like the show character so I’ll drop the $25 to get her FF

and as long as mediocre is acceptable to the player base, then mediocre is what we will get ....

Then what would you suggest? Even Black Pebble has come on here and acknowledged our dissatisfaction by telling us to please go back to insulting the art versus insulting each other. They have never expressed any intentions to address it
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭

e5z4mqjx1943.png
    44v8z98tbiox.png
  • Options
    They must be tight for money. Tarah's uniform is a white box on a black background... or maybe that's ceremonial uniform.
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no dog in this fight other than to say -
    A pox upon the House of Q
    Thanks to showing the enlarged head of the good Admiral
    I can now only see the HUGE zit on her chin.

Poor girl can't catch a break.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    The Awkward moment when you realise the the 10-12yr old category in the 63rd credit union children's art calendar is better than a professional artist
    m7y4x8f83gs9.png
    9falotstz5s3.jpg

Hey... who’s smoking a pipe to pose for 10 year olds... someone call child services !!!