Home The Bridge
Options

New Cornwell clearly shows graphics quality degradation

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that "Zit" a BRUISE?!?!? Since she is a prisoner of a rather violent race of captors?
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no dog in this fight other than to say -
    A pox upon the House of Q
    Thanks to showing the enlarged head of the good Admiral
    I can now only see the HUGE zit on her chin.

Poor girl can't catch a break.

We need to call Dr David Marcus the Pimple popper 🤣
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    yvdhd5dmfeo5.jpg
  • Options
    Isn't that "Zit" a BRUISE?!?!? Since she is a prisoner of a rather violent race of captors?

I agree with you, but it's pointless to question the quality of this criticism.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    ba973pf8sodm.png

DB needs to check the artwork on Star Trek Adversaries it's A+ and you get 50 packs for $59.99 I think I know where my money is going

http://www.startrek.com/article/adversaries-online-collectible-card-game-available-now
  • Options
    It isn’t as good as the art the game launched with. But it’s light years ahead of the crap we’ve gotten lately.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    ba973pf8sodm.png

DB needs to check the artwork on Star Trek Adversaries it's A+ and you get 50 packs for $59.99 I think I know where my money is going

http://www.startrek.com/article/adversaries-online-collectible-card-game-available-now

This sort of competition can only be good for us. Cause the art looks awesome for sure. With likely competition around maybe and hopefully DB will put more focus on the artwork again.

As far as I know Star Trek Adversaries is still in some kind of beta mode though and so far the only gamemode is space battles. So gameplay wise STT has a huge advantage for the moment.

They just need to put more efforts and money into the art side of things again.
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    ba973pf8sodm.png

This sort of competition can only be good for us. Cause the art looks awesome for sure. With likely competition around maybe and hopefully DB will put more focus on the artwork again.

As far as I know Star Trek Adversaries is still in some kind of beta mode though and so far the only gamemode is space battles. So gameplay wise STT has a huge advantage for the moment.

Played it earlier it's not a bad game just imagine arena on steroids with great character art cards you use in turns. RNG has been kind too from packs. The advantage Stt has is multi platform as of now pc is the only way to play Adversaries but I imagine it won't be long before it's on IOS and Android.
  • Options
    Played it earlier it's not a bad game just imagine arena on steroids with great character art cards you use in turns. RNG has been kind too from packs. The advantage Stt has is multi platform as of now pc is the only way to play Adversaries but I imagine it won't be long before it's on IOS and Android.

Briefly looked into it earlier 2. As you said: Very great artwork, not much more I can say about it that apart. Yeah, PC or MAC only so far. So mobile gives STT a further advantage for the moment. And competition is always healthy and can only benefit us users. I really enjoy STT . With this enjoyment lately lessened by the decline in the graphics...

• Options
    Guest  wrote: »
    koba wrote: »
    ...but that does not mean I wont buy the fifth star of her :)
    Ha! Same here. Lousy artwork but still like the show character so I’ll drop the $25 to get her FF

and as long as mediocre is acceptable to the player base, then mediocre is what we will get ....

This guest gets it. Your pitchforks are barely tickling DB because you're wrapping them with dollar bills.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    The art on the initial 150ish crew at launch was amazing.

Really? O_o

Look at Ensign Crusher and tell me he's amazing.

Oh, I do understand the desire to say that the initial art was consistently amazing and now it's a mixed bag. If we can agree on that we can say that there has been degradation.

But if there were horrible characters at day one, this is nothing new.

Not sure what you have against the art for Ensign Crusher. Is it my favourite art? No, but it is much, much better than anything that has come out in the last six months. Every single day 1 character art has been better than every single character art in the last six months. No exceptions.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ba973pf8sodm.png

I installed the Adversaries game yesterday and tried it out. It's a mess. Extremely non-intuitive. I get that it's in its early stages, but I think it needs a major rehaul. The artwork is fantastic, though, I'll give them that. The majority of the characters look far better than almost anything DB has produced.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they've decided to put 4 crappy artwork card per week instead of a one really good artwork because it brings them more money in the short term.

But in the long term they are heading for troubles, people aren't idiots.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p377y7h33f wrote: »
    Ha! Same here. Lousy artwork but still like the show character so I’ll drop the $25 to get her FF

and as long as mediocre is acceptable to the player base, then mediocre is what we will get ....

This guest gets it. Your pitchforks are barely tickling DB because you're wrapping them with dollar bills.

Again, what do you suggest petty thief? They’ve acknowledged our frustration and have chose to not act. What would you like us to do?

• Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I installed the Adversaries game yesterday and tried it out. It's a mess. Extremely non-intuitive. I get that it's in its early stages, but I think it needs a major rehaul. The artwork is fantastic, though, I'll give them that. The majority of the characters look far better than almost anything DB has produced.

Yeah, it´s early access or how they call it. Same as you I am fond of this game - and also same as you I simply want more effort in the graphical side of things again here. Gosh, talented comic book artists can deliver over 20 pages filled with many characters, backgrounds etc. in a month. It cannot be that tuff hence to deliver some good motives here. Saving on the art is saving at the wrong end here imho and for sure...

• Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How artwork was done before
    326px-Ushaan_Archer.png

How artwork is done today

195px-Celebratory_Ash_Tyler_Full.png
  • Options
    Again, what do you suggest petty thief? They’ve acknowledged our frustration and have chose to not act. What would you like us to do?

We have to vote with our wallet. It's the only thing left.

The root of the problem is not that that they give us bad artwork. It's that some of us reward this bad artwork with buckets of money, incentivizing DB to do it again and again.

At the end of the day DB gives us the sort of stuff that we're willing to buy. And if we are willing to buy this sort of stuff...
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    How artwork was done before
    326px-Ushaan_Archer.png

How artwork is done today

195px-Celebratory_Ash_Tyler_Full.png

I can't decide if I think Tyler is shrugging or trying to grope someone as they go by....
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have to vote with our wallet. It's the only thing left.

The root of the problem is not that that they give us bad artwork. It's that some of us reward this bad artwork with buckets of money, incentivizing DB to do it again and again.

At the end of the day DB gives us the sort of stuff that we're willing to buy. And if we are willing to buy this sort of stuff...

It’s not a who goes first thing. It’s a we all have to turn our keys at the same time thing. Are we all going to do that?

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    they've decided to put 4 crappy artwork card per week instead of a one really good artwork because it brings them more money in the short term.

But in the long term they are heading for troubles, people aren't idiots.

Except people have been saying that for over a year. We still get posts about people throwing money at worst chance packs and vowing never to do it again. Until people stop spending money DB won't change. Good art costs more than bad art, if the packs sell either way because of stat creep why would DB spend more money for no more return?
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think the artwork is bad. DB is making lots of new crew and for the most part it is pretty good. Certainly better than the vast majority of us could do. Is it perfect? No. But you can easily recognize the people. If you want to still be critical of db at least do it with cinstructive criticism that they can use to improve. Say the parts you like, the parts you dont, and rate it compared to other recent artwork instead of just general criticism about every single drawn character.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think the artwork is bad. DB is making lots of new crew and for the most part it is pretty good. Certainly better than the vast majority of us could do. Is it perfect? No. But you can easily recognize the people. If you want to still be critical of db at least do it with cinstructive criticism that they can use to improve. Say the parts you like, the parts you dont, and rate it compared to other recent artwork instead of just general criticism about every single drawn character.

I certainly could not do better but I also don’t claim to be a computer artist nor do I try to sell my computer art. Yes we buy the crew but it’s because it’s Star Trek. There’s your answer. Even if we don’t like the art, yes we buy it because it’s Star Trek but I will say that also yes, I have turned down crew because of the art. I was totally geeked about Mirror Reed and would have bought the $50 or $100 offer but he looked like a messed up Picasso so I passed
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, yes, I still spend dilithium on packs for "okay" art. (On the other hand, if it's terrible, like Mirror Data, I want no part of it.) So, in the short term, DB may not see a huge drop in revenue from players like me. But it also has a cumulative effect, in that with every substandard piece of art that comes out, I become a little less and less interested in the game and in collecting crew. I've invested a lot of money into STT up until this point, but it's beginning to lose its luster. Better overall quality of artwork would go a long way to keep me interested — and keep me spending.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Okay, yes, I still spend dilithium on packs for "okay" art. (On the other hand, if it's terrible, like Mirror Data, I want no part of it.) So, in the short term, DB may not see a huge drop in revenue from players like me. But it also has a cumulative effect, in that with every substandard piece of art that comes out, I become a little less and less interested in the game and in collecting crew. I've invested a lot of money into STT up until this point, but it's beginning to lose its luster. Better overall quality of artwork would go a long way to keep me interested — and keep me spending.

Very well said. The bad art is causing boredom and disinterest. So the Mirror Reed event I spoke of. If I was down with the art I would have bought the offer AND played the event hard. As it was I took the weekend off. Boredom. Disinterest.

• Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭

The problem is every single drawn character over the past year or so is worse than every single character when the game first came out. DB quite obviously made a significant change in how they commission the art, and they know what that change is. There is no point in picking apart every piece of art with constructive criticism because they are all bad, and the company already knows whatever it is they did to change the quality. Really, we're asking them to reverse the decision they made to change the art and go back to what they were doing for the first year of the game.
  • Options
    I'm guessing to save $ - the "art department" just got a $49 Photoshop filter that does comic filters from photos automatically. Dab a little yellow & cyan highlights, and viola! instant crapola.

And see if that's the case, I can help them because they clearly are just missing one important step series to making it actually look decent..

Near the end of your project once you've cut away that pesky background from the original image, Duplicate this layer and apply the comic filter to the duplicate only.

Once the comic filter is complete> layer Duplicate for a 3rd layer>
    Lower opacity to 50% on comic layer 1 (directly above the original layer) on "Screen" mode>
    Lower Opacity to 25% on comic layer 2 on "overlay" mode.

Merge Visible.
    +8 contrast -5% brightness
    Save file as : C:\Sttl\Event Characters\I just got schooled by a customer.png

(Remember, PNG because if you set it as a jpeg it won't raster correctly without the transparent background in the game layering and everything will look all weird when someone Immortalizes the character.)

Again, will work for Dilithium.

The funny/sad thing is there are more than a few of us on the forums that could do a better job as far as communications, design, writing, coding, etc, etc,.

Hey DB, I won't work for dil but I will telecommute which means I'll just charge you a "consulting fee".
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Cornwell is so much better than Scotty and Tyler in this event that I can't complain about her. Yes, she's clearly lower quality, but she's not bad like the others.

Lowering the bar so that we're more accepting of inferior quality. That's how they getcha!
    looks less like what I would call artwork and more like a photoshop filter on an image, modified cutout or paint daubs. They probably want to spend their budget on people to crush bugs etc over an actual artist.

Making many thousands per day, they can easily afford both.
    arjuna wrote: »
    It appears to me that they have gone to a new style (all chars in 2018 and the last quarter of 2017) for the art work that lacks detail and can be churned out quicker as they have to churn out 3-5 new pieces a week.

DB are not suffering from a lack of time for the "art". They have access to a wide range of excellent artists who would do great work for pay at a fraction of DB's profit from the cards - especially what that profit could be if they weren't sabotaging themselves. It's a deliberate choice to lower quality under the pretence that it's a "style".

Ridiculous really, being pennywise at the loss of no one knows how many dollars.

Not acceptable to this player.