Home The Bridge

So how come we don't have any super high proficiency ENG people yet?

Any gauntlet I get where ENG is the star skill, I've noticed I don't have any super strong powerhouse proficient Engineers. What I mean by powerhouse is someone with a proficiency of 600 or above (naturally, not by starbase).

We have powerhouses in COM, DIP, SCI, MED, and SEC, every other skill but ENG. But I keep wondering why.
Why don't we have anyone like that in ENG?

Here are the top 5 proficiencies in each skill (based on highest end cap)
0ozopgg6razj.png

Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.

Comments

• DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess strong med isn't an issue anymore.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that not all categories have super high prof. people. I get tired of the mirror picard walls.
    Let’s fly!
  • Dralix wrote: »

meh, strong med was never an issue for Gauntlet/proficiency roll. It's an issue for base stats.

But back to ENG rolls - not only do they have the lowest max ro.., they are also among the lowest for min-roll. Every other stat has at least 1 300+ min roll, and all but 5 (across all 5 stats) are 250+. ENG only has 1 min roll that's 250+
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's hard to fix things that the command staff keep breaking.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

meh, strong med was never an issue for Gauntlet/proficiency roll. It's an issue for base stats.

Right, and now that we've been given Cornwell, there's a new pet project.
  • Dralix wrote: »

Base rolls are a different issue affecting shuttles rather than the gauntlet.

To make the gauntlet more interesting there should be some variation over skills available. That there aren't really any for Eng shows a deep imbalance in this part of the game.

Strong Eng is poorly represented in the game, a little like Med but slightly less problematic for Voyages owing to it being used commonly as a secondary stat, unlike Med.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that not all categories have super high prof. people. I get tired of the mirror picard walls.

Just wait a couple months and that will change. With power creep, in a few months Mirror Picard will only be average and be replaced by newer crew.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, you should be showing average roll. A high maximum isn't that great when your minimum is poor (I'm looking at you Tucker).

SEC, SCI and ENG aren't great. SEC got a few good ones recently but they're not top notch gauntlet characters. Its pretty much Spock or nothing. SCI is a little better but its a few isolated legendaries or nothing.

The ENG thing is also a problem in that it potentially hurts your Voyages. Its usually my weakest Voyage stat and I wouldn't be surprised its the same for a lot of people.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    ENG is a tough nut to crack in the gauntlet both when it’s a primary skill and especially when it isn’t. When other skills are featured, my sole source of ENG is usually Gangster Spock, with EV Suit Tucker, Dr. Soong, Mirror Bashir, Grand Nagus Rom, and Mirror Geordi helping on occasion. It means I get an almost guaranteed loss when an ENG skill check comes up unless I can overpower an opponent with the other skill.
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    The ENG thing is also a problem in that it potentially hurts your Voyages. Its usually my weakest Voyage stat and I wouldn't be surprised its the same for a lot of people.

MED and ENG have been my worst two so far. I’m happy with my MED primary crew but few people outside of Arik Soong, Gillian Taylor, and Vedek Bareil have MED as a secondary or tertiary skill. ENG is a little better but overall I think there needs to be a focus on better proficiencies to help with both the gauntlet and voyages.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tempted Data is my gauntlet engineer. He’s in every one. There are plenty of top notch engineering Voyage crew. Spider Broccoli, Degra, both 5* Geordi’s, Tilly, all very well over 1000
    Tempted Data is my gauntlet engineer. He’s in every one. There are plenty of top notch engineering Voyage crew. Spider Broccoli, Degra, both 5* Geordi’s, Tilly, all very well over 1000

All largely inaccessible to most people. I whip out Captain Scott and Mirror Geordi when there is an ENG primary gauntlet and it gets pretty thin after that.
    whvubi6yvkgc.png

I imagine many are in a similar boat.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I have really noticed. I usually pop in borg laforge and gangster spock and probably 7 of 9. After all it's a combination of skills rather than just eng.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    c9vy1dhwdusk.png
    DB: Do Better
  • All in all we are all on the same boat! I really prefer more ENG/SCI, ENG/MED, MED/SCI third skill would not matter but should exist!
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    quote="Jim Steele;c-46136"]c9vy1dhwdusk.png
    [/quote]

God, that Mirror Data art still looks so bad. Ugh whyyy DB whyyy?

Coincidentally I'll share, here's the best I can do:
    n1if1vod8jpl.jpg
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    I can't say I have really noticed. I usually pop in borg laforge and gangster spock and probably 7 of 9. After all it's a combination of skills rather than just eng.

Jim

The best way to describe the problem is if ENG is the Gauntlet primary skill and you end up with a MED-ENG stand off. Even the best ENG character will more than likely lose even with a crit advantage.

Single skill match-ups are part of the Gauntlet. Some skills have good depth. Players with deeper rosters get a choice, smaller rosters might at least randomly have 1 or 2 good characters.

And using you're examples:
    Borg LaForge is probably the single best ENG crew available. Good ENG, good CMD and some SCI for extras. Readily available Guinan and Kahless also laugh at his puny two skill roll.
    Gangster Spock and 7of9 are not primary ENG characters. Its sometimes sensible to use them as such sometimes but mostly not.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Sometimes, excluding ENG primary gauntlets, it is best to not have any ENG crew and be sure to have very strong in the other 5 skills so they have some value when ENG does come up.

If DB is going to introduce a super ENG for gauntlet (250-650+) it better be thru an event and not any pack only irritation. Defensive Phlox broke the MED gauntlet, was pack only and there is no similar crew to offset him.
    siqj8j5ce466.png
    I'm less bothered by there not being an ENG Locutus or Kahless or Phlox than I am that there are so very few crew with even decently balanced ENG skills. Just offhand, consider:

Prisoner O'Brien
    DIP (11-21)
    ENG (244-503)
    SEC (83-187)

The ENG is good, but even the SEC is too weak to justify using him. That DIP is just insulting.

Lt Commander La Forge*
    CMD (40-86)
    ENG (185-367)
    SCI (155-323)

If the CMD was comparable to his ENG and SCI, he'd still be mediocre, but at least he wouldn't be imbalanced and mediocre. That CMD isn't quite as insulting as O'Brien's DIP, but it's still forgettable for the purpose of the Gauntlet.

Drone Seven of Nine is a good example of mediocre, but at least balanced:

ENG (142-339)
    SEC (150-308)
    SCI (165-349)

*It still bugs me that Lt Commander La Forge, clearly based on his 21st century garb in First Contact, isn't clean shaven. This is entirely unimportant to the topic at hand, but I was just reminded of it.

I do like those who are evenly balanced with three skills versus overwhelming in one or maybe two

• Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put a LOT of value on "unbalanced" characters.

My standard 5:
    • Kahless
    • Locutus
    • Gangster Spock
    • Assimilated La Forge
    • Mirror Phlox

Unbalanced characters give you the power of having a "Good" roll even when only one stat is selected while on D.

For this setup, my two worst combinations (in a trait-less gauntlet) are DIP/MED and SCI/MED, losing hard to Bartender Guinan and Defensive Phlox. Slightly better, but still bad, is ENG/SCI (Borgi cannot hope to compete with Seven of Nine there).

The other "mediocre" combinations are CMD/SCI (Behind Yarnek), CMD/MED (Behind Sulan), and DIP/ENG (Behind Emotion Chip Data).

The other 9 2-stat combinations are at least 90% of the power of the best-in-slot for that stat combination (with 6 of them actually BEING best-in-slot).

I don't have anyone with ENG/MED, but Mirror Phlox has an average MED roll of 601, which puts him at 93% of da Vinci who is at 648.
  • I'm of the strong belief that it isn't about how a crew member fares in that singular skill, it's what the other skills help cover alongside the featured skill... Example, Tempted Data rarely ever makes it into a Gauntlet because unless it's ENG-featured AND he's getting some kind of bonus, that ENG can be covered by a Seven (w/ her huge SCI #) or Gangster Spock & his huge SEC #... Anyways, food for thought. Then again, my fleet uses a Bot command feature that recommends optimal Gauntlet crew, so it's removed a lot of the thinking in that regard...
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer
  • The Great GornholioThe Great Gornholio ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I really wish they would give us more high-ENG characters for gauntlet that balance out. Right now the only people with ENG that regularly see play in my standard 5 are Gangster Spock/Assimilated La Forge/Mademoiselle De Neuf/Seven of Nine they are good, but their ENG is rarely relevant and more of a bonus for either having 1 other really high roll or 2 other good rolls. I've tried Tempted Data and North Star Tucker a few times, but they always fall short for me. After one round their other stats are so low it's laughable. I would love to see a Kahless/Guinan/Locutus level characer with ENG. Maybe a ENG/CMD/MED? That would be sweet! (And yes, I mean like Delta Flyer Paris, but better :))
    I really wish they would give us more high-ENG characters for gauntlet that balance out. Right now the only people with ENG that regularly see play in my standard 5 are Gangster Spock/Assimilated La Forge/Mademoiselle De Neuf/Seven of Nine they are good, but their ENG is rarely relevant and more of a bonus for either having 1 other really high roll or 2 other good rolls. I've tried Tempted Data and North Star Tucker a few times, but they always fall short for me. After one round their other stats are so low it's laughable. I would love to see a Kahless/Guinan/Locutus level characer with ENG. Maybe a ENG/CMD/MED? That would be sweet! (And yes, I mean like Delta Flyer Paris, but better :))

I'll use DFP and NST when they are 45%+. They can create some big mismatches.

The best ENG mismatch I get with my regular crew is Borgi vs Kahless/Picard/etc in ENG/CMD. However, Borgi's value goes way down when one of the "common" high-CMD cards has a crit advantage on him. I can't even bring him to the table if the are 45% and I'm starting to feel 25% is pushing it, too.
  • I really wish they would give us more high-ENG characters for gauntlet that balance out. Right now the only people with ENG that regularly see play in my standard 5 are Gangster Spock/Assimilated La Forge/Mademoiselle De Neuf/Seven of Nine they are good, but their ENG is rarely relevant and more of a bonus for either having 1 other really high roll or 2 other good rolls. I've tried Tempted Data and North Star Tucker a few times, but they always fall short for me. After one round their other stats are so low it's laughable. I would love to see a Kahless/Guinan/Locutus level characer with ENG. Maybe a ENG/CMD/MED? That would be sweet! (And yes, I mean like Delta Flyer Paris, but better :))

I'll use DFP and NST when they are 45%+. They can create some big mismatches.

The best ENG mismatch I get with my regular crew is Borgi vs Kahless/Picard/etc in ENG/CMD. However, Borgi's value goes way down when one of the "common" high-CMD cards has a crit advantage on him. I can't even bring him to the table if the are 45% and I'm starting to feel 25% is pushing it, too.

I'm with you on Borgi! He's been whippin up on Mirror Picard and Kahless all day for me (all are at 5% crit). I don't think I've ever had NST or DFP above 25%, but if they ever hit 45% i'll give them another try.

I'm kinda wondering/hoping that if Surak is indeed the next Honor Hall crew he will be SCI/ENG/DIP or SCI/ENG/CMD. Maybe that would round things out?
    DFP gets 45% from two of Romantic/Gambler/Pilot/Maverick. It's not super common, but I've seen it several times.

NST seems to be a bit more rare and needs Jury Rigger/Marksman/Romantic/Gambler

I want to say I got a Romantic/Gambler gauntlet a month or so ago, but I don't remember at all who I brought.
  • To sort-of go off topic, you are missing The Keeper in there with his SCI proficiency at 357–755 base.

On topic: Who knows why DB has not released an ENG proficiency powerhouse yet. Normally I go with either Tempted Data, or someone like Delta Flyer Paris if he gets an increased CRIT percentage for that Gauntlet round. It is about time we get a few competitive Gauntlet ENG crew.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
    To sort-of go off topic, you are missing The Keeper in there with his SCI proficiency at 357–755 base.

On topic: Who knows why DB has not released an ENG proficiency powerhouse yet. Normally I go with either Tempted Data, or someone like Delta Flyer Paris if he gets an increased CRIT percentage for that Gauntlet round. It is about time we get a few competitive Gauntlet ENG crew.

I'm not missing him, I simply don't have him (or Seven of Nine, or Defensive Phlox) in my crew.
  • To sort-of go off topic, you are missing The Keeper in there with his SCI proficiency at 357–755 base.

I'm not missing him, I simply don't have him (or Seven of Nine, or Defensive Phlox) in my crew.

I was replying to the OP where the "Top 5 SCI" list excludes him.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista