Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Which Star Trek TV series is your favourite?

Comments

• Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyager
    One of the guys that wrote some of those episodes, Christopher L. Bennett, has written several officially licensed books that pick up right where the last episode left off and carry it years into the future. It’s a really well done extrapolation that’s pretty enjoyable. Rise of the Federation is the series for those of you interested.

You didn't quote me or @ me so, was this in response to my message about Terra Prime, etc?
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    The Next Generation
    TNG > DS9 for being more diverse and getting things to the point...

also, I hate those bajorans with their damn stupid religion, which they keep believing in even when it is revealed that there are no gods, only transdimensional aliens...
    "we got the warpdrive and replicators but still pray to some "gods""....oh ffs!
    as Picard stated once, there´s no point in letting them go back to the dark ages ("who watches the watchers")...Sisko plays right along being that "emissary" and knowing it is all rubbish
    Bajorans....grade AAA+ victims (sounds familiar with something in RL?)...no wonder the cardassians had their ways with them...

the show also takes ages to get interesting imho...it has its moments but overall, I skip more episodes on DS9 then TNG
  • Options
    The Animated Series
    Animated for me, watched it first run as a kid when it premiered and have read all the novelizations more times than I can count since I got them in the 1970's.
    Captain 58, VIP 9, 164 Immortals, 135 active slots, 4 shuttles
  • Options
    Deep Space Nine
    One of the guys that wrote some of those episodes, Christopher L. Bennett, has written several officially licensed books that pick up right where the last episode left off and carry it years into the future. It’s a really well done extrapolation that’s pretty enjoyable. Rise of the Federation is the series for those of you interested.

You didn't quote me or @ me so, was this in response to my message about Terra Prime, etc?

Partially. What you said made me think about the books so I wrote it down but I didn’t feel the need to use a quote, especially since my message ended up being right after yours anyhow.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    When this was on the other forum so many people voted DS9 that I said I would binge it on Netflix. I’m halfway through the 3rd season. I will stick it out to the end but I gotta say so far I don’t get the hype. There’s only one episode I thought was really good so far. That was the one where the Cardassian guard was trying to get himself executed out of guilt. I thought that was pretty powerful. I must say though. Odo is a bad **tsk tsk**!!
  • Options
    Deep Space Nine
    When this was on the other forum so many people voted DS9 that I said I would binge it on Netflix. I’m halfway through the 3rd season. I will stick it out to the end but I gotta say so far I don’t get the hype. There’s only one episode I thought was really good so far. That was the one where the Cardassian guard was trying to get himself executed out of guilt. I thought that was pretty powerful. I must say though. Odo is a bad ****!!

The first three seasons are a bit mediocre at times, though there are some really fun ones in there and a lot of character development. The 4th season starts their trend of having a continuous overarching storyline. Also, if you thought that episode was powerful, wait till you meet Benny Russell. And yes, Odo is a bad *** but so is Kira,...and O’Brien, too.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    One of the Arcs starts in the Pilot (Sisko and the Prophets), the other arc (the Dominion) starts in the last ep of season 2. (That ep when it first ran struck me as odd -- its the one with Eris and you meet the Jem Hadar for the first time) but it's the Aaaaah moment afterwards that makes it an enjoyable one to re-watch.

The fourth season brings forth a familiar face back into the cast which seems to press the accelerator on the second arc with the Dominion. And well, usually (and I say usually) you can't go wrong injecting a bunch of Klingons into a war arc........That dialogue at the end of 4x01/beginning of 4x02 still feels like some of the more memorable lines.

Third season has some slow eps but are ones that really set up the other seasons, like the Abandoned, like the Search, like the Jem Hadar, as you get a real solid foundation of the Dominion. I can tell you based on the fact he's been in two packs already and the hype of a lot of folks trying to get him, that the Gabriel Bell two-parter is a fan favorite of a lot of folks.

Didn't the smaller arc of the Mirror Universe start early as well? I remember when I originally saw the first one with Bashir and Kira and thought, well, ok, that was meh, and then they did another with Sisko... and then they did another and I remember saying to myself "Wow, that was a well thought out long game move..." It was interesting to me how even some of the Mirror characters had some level of development.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    I’m now 5 episodes into season 4 of DS9. I am still kinda bored with it but am committed to seeing it through. I did however see another powerful episode. The one where Sisko is lost in a Temporal thing and he keeps appearing to Jake at various points in his life. That episode was flat out fantastic.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Next Generation
    DS9 had me when Sisko used Baseball to explain linear time to aliens who exist outside of linear time and do not understand the concept.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    I’m now 5 episodes into season 4 of DS9. I am still kinda bored with it but am committed to seeing it through. I did however see another powerful episode. The one where Sisko is lost in a Temporal thing and he keeps appearing to Jake at various points in his life. That episode was flat out fantastic.

While I do think DS9 got better after every passing season, if you aren't totally hooked after 3 seasons I'm a bit worried. Even though they are the 3 weakest seasons I was still definitely hooked by then. Also the two episodes you said you liked are by FAR the consensus choice for best DS9 episodes up until that point in the series (Duet in particular, the first one you mentioned, is quite often held up as the second best episode in the series).
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    DS9 had me when Sisko used Baseball to explain linear time to aliens who exist outside of linear time and do not understand the concept.

That was amazing, I agree completely. Emissary was probably my favourite pilot.. although I'm partial to Caretaker as well.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    Clanof wrote: »

While I do think DS9 got better after every passing season, if you aren't totally hooked after 3 seasons I'm a bit worried. Even though they are the 3 weakest seasons I was still definitely hooked by then. Also the two episodes you said you liked are by FAR the consensus choice for best DS9 episodes up until that point in the series (Duet in particular, the first one you mentioned, is quite often held up as the second best episode in the series).

I believe there are two things that are holding me up. One is that I believe the actress who plays Kira is a horrible actress. The other is that I can’t stand Bashir. He seems to be a very weak doctor and he’s only interested in getting laid. He’s actually kind of embarrassing about it at times
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Deep Space Nine

I believe there are two things that are holding me up. One is that I believe the actress who plays Kira is a horrible actress. The other is that I can’t stand Bashir. He seems to be a very weak doctor and he’s only interested in getting laid. He’s actually kind of embarrassing about it at times

Bashir develops. And has been subtly developing over even the first few seasons. The changes do get somewhat pronounced at different points.

If that's all that's holding you back I'm surprised actually.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    One of my all time favorite Trek concepts. For some reason his quote about
    (Spoiler for those still watching and care)
    "The game wouldn't be worth playing, if we knew the outcome"
    really resonated with me in a profound way. Just one of those things that's stuck with me.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine

Bashir gets a lot better, it takes a long time for the writers to have him find his footing. Dax, Rom and Nog started out terrible too but they all got retooled and became excellent characters. With Kira, you have to bear in mind the part was originally written for Ro Laren but the actress turned the part down. It makes a lot more sense that way, you can see how Ro would have pulled that writing off a lot better than a new character; unfortunately unlike Bashir, Kira doesn't really get better, she is what she is.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Bashir develops. And has been subtly developing over even the first few seasons. The changes do get somewhat pronounced at different points.

Keep in mind though that Kira does have alot of screen time. To me her bad acting can ruin a scene and she’s in so many scenes it’s hard to stay gripped. Perhaps part of what I liked so much about the Temporal Sisko episode was that Kira and Bashir weren’t in it very much. The other episode I really like was very focused on the Cardassian. I will say I do like Sisko, Odo, and O’Brien as characters. Dax and Quark I am neither here nor there on. And now Worf is in it who is a tie in to the past great TNG, but I kinda balked on it when it seemed Sisko just made up a position for him to have. In my mind that sort of belittled his reputation a bit.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Deep Space Nine
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Keep in mind though that Kira does have alot of screen time. To me her bad acting can ruin a scene and she’s in so many scenes it’s hard to stay gripped. Perhaps part of what I liked so much about the Temporal Sisko episode was that Kira and Bashir weren’t in it very much. The other episode I really like was very focused on the Cardassian. I will say I do like Sisko, Odo, and O’Brien as characters. Dax and Quark I am neither here nor there on. And now Worf is in it who is a tie in to the past great TNG, but I kinda balked on it when it seemed Sisko just made up a position for him to have. In my mind that sort of belittled his reputation a bit.

Though it was a stretch plotline wise, adding Worf in opens the door to the whole Klingon mini-arc--- which puts some gas in the tank.

Funny I thought the same thing about Sato that you think about Kira. Must be some subjective analysis going on there.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    If I had to choose a bad actor from Enterprise I would go with Admiral Forest but I get what you’re saying. I think she explained the whole “conjugation” thing every three or four episodes. Got a little redundant
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    I am finding it very interesting how many actors were on both DS9 and Enterprise. Nearly every episode I’m seeing a cross over of an actor that’s played roles in both
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Next Generation
    If I had to choose a bad actor from Enterprise I would go with Admiral Forest but I get what you’re saying. I think she explained the whole “conjugation” thing every three or four episodes. Got a little redundant

If I had to choose a bad actor from Enterprise, I would choose most of them. Some of them grew into their parts but it did take some time. Even then, they were mostly only ok. Avery Brooks on the other hand hit the ground running and ran all the way to the final episode.

DS9 did enjoy the luxury of being able to learn from TNG's mistakes. Its opening seasons were better and it did get to take actors playing established characters and people who were experienced at doing Trek. Armin Shimerman was great from the start but it probably helped he already knew how to act in heavy make-up for example.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    Avery Brooks on the other hand hit the ground running and ran all the way to the final episode.

I disagree. I think there's a very noticeable difference in his performances pre and post head shave.

He's said that he feels more comfortable with his head shaved, and thinks he's a better actor - search his Memory Alpha page for bald.

• Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    I like all the series, but I love DS9 - I had an inkling from 'Past Prologue' that it was going to be something I could really attach to in a way TNG, for all I enjoyed it, wasn't, but 'Duet' really sealed the deal (and confirmed me a Kira fangirl for life, got the earring and everything). Even to this day it's still my favourite TV show of all time (though Farscape got really close, and if they'd been able to tie a proper bow in it rather than being forced to rush through the planned final year in Peacekeeper Wars, that could've been a contender).
  • Options
    Deep Space Nine
    I find all the actors on Enterprise incredibly wooden, especially Bakula and Blalock. It's one of the reasons I just can't watch it now. It comes across like they'd rather be doing anything else other than what they're doing.

I'm not sure how anyone can say Nanna Visitor (Kira) was bad though; she was strong, with a wide range, and did the job without being just a sex object like other Trek females (they sexed her up a bit in season 4, but nowhere near to the levels of Seven or T'Pol).

It is true though that DS9 takes a while to get going. The first two seasons are fairly dull. I think it starts getting noticeably better in Season 3, gets stronger still in Season 4, and reaching its peak in Season 5.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    Xanathar wrote: »
    I find all the actors on Enterprise incredibly wooden, especially Bakula and Blalock. It's one of the reasons I just can't watch it now. It comes across like they'd rather be doing anything else other than what they're doing.

I'm not sure how anyone can say Nanna Visitor (Kira) was bad though; she was strong, with a wide range, and did the job without being just a sex object like other Trek females (they sexed her up a bit in season 4, but nowhere near to the levels of Seven or T'Pol).

It is true though that DS9 takes a while to get going. The first two seasons are fairly dull. I think it starts getting noticeably better in Season 3, gets stronger still in Season 4, and reaching its peak in Season 5.

I don`t think Visitor was bad, but compared to the rest of the cast she was the weak link, Forbes would have knocked it out of the park if she had agreed to come back as Ro.

And the peak of DS9 is season 7. I will accept arguments in favour of season 6, but not season 5.
  • Options
    Deep Space Nine
    And the peak of DS9 is season 7. I will accept arguments in favour of season 6, but not season 5.

I disagree. The last half of season 7 (when the final arc starts in full) is good, but the first half of the season is weak. Some of this is due to the introduction of Ezri who pales in comparison to Jadzia and forces episodes like Afterimage which is just one big yawn. But you've also got clunkers like Take Me out to the Holosuite, Covenant and Badda-Bing Badda-Bang which are all rather tedious and don't feel sufficiently "Star Trek" to me. Even some of the better episodes like Treachery, Faith and the Great River have silly B-plots to pad it out.

I'm also not a fan of the whole Sarah Sisko/Prophet thing which was not a good direction I thought.
    Another thing I really didn't like was Vic Fontaine popping up everywhere. I don't watch sci-fi to hear that kind of singing on a regular basis. Far too many epsiodes were spoilt by this.

And this brings me to Season 6, the last half of which was rather weak too for similar reasons. Episodes like Valiant and Time's Oprhan must rank as some of the worst episodes ever. The season isn't bad on the whole though, and there are some gems in there.

Season 5 though is the best for me. Call to Arms is probably my favourite episode of all time. For the Uniform, Things Past and Trials and Tribble-ations are all similarly excellent.

In many ways though, it feels a bit like they had 6 years worth of ideas, but when they heard they had a seventh season, they didn't know what to do with it, so everything was padded out excessively (B5 suffered a similar problem but managed to deal with it better IMO). I think it would have been tighter to have only the 6 years, with the last half of season 7 replacing the last half of season 6. The series as whole would be much better off that way.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    I have to chuckle, you just listed a whole bunch of things I really liked - Take Me Out, Badda-Bing, Nog's B-story in Great River, Covenant (even if later episodes failed to really follow up on it on more than a superficial level), and Ezri. TBH I always felt Jadzia was the weak link in the cast, not bad but she never impressed me with her spotlight episodes the way everyone else did (my favourite moments of her are actually all when she's tagging along in episodes focusing on somebody else, or ensemble episodes) - Ezri never really had the opportunity to grow into her role, but she had the spark that Jadzia lacked for me. And I freakin' love Vic.

Sarah, though, we're in agreement - the whole nature of her ran contrary to how they'd portrayed the Prophets up until then, which I enjoyed, and her role in Sisko's conception was just so troubling. And totally unnecessary - if they need a justification for why Sisko's The Sisko, why he's special, maybe because after season seven he's in the Temple with the rest of them, and because they're non-linear he has been all along? Like, he's actually one of them in the wormhole the entire time, he's there while his corporeal self is trying to explain baseball to them in 'Emissary' - maybe he's the one who appears as Jennifer then, to help his corporeal self get his life back on track. I love how mind-screwy the Prophets are.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    AHEM!!! Still haven’t seen it. Midway through season 4 here.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    ...sorry :(
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Deep Space Nine
    DS9 is the best...by far!

I think having it take place on a space station helped a lot. It was the most story-arc like series...on an exploration/getting home starship you might encounter interesting anomalies and aliens, but it's hard to write in something of consequence that will stick with the series for a long time, especially minor cast members...DS9 had a ton of them and almost all of them were awesome. Also, they were not those noble kind of guys who do everything right all the time and most were not super villains either. It just seemed a lot more realistic.

But still...Picard > Sisko

ENT was the exact opposite: Archer, Tucker, and T'Pol sitting down for dinner (nobody else was ever invited) and talking about the same damn thing over and over again, one of them being more dull than the next. There was other cast (Reed, Hoshi, Mayweather) to fill up the bridge but apparently for no other reason.

It's diversity that makes a good series. TOS and ENT can **tsk tsk** it.
  • Options
    Deep Space Nine
    I love TOS for when it's late at night and I have nothing better to do.
    TNG gets the love for being my first sci fi.
    As soon as I saw DS9 though, I knew I'd found my comfort zone :)

Voyager was fun, I'll rewatch it someday.
    Enterprise.. well, I'm watching it now for the first time and it's great if you skip the theme and remember that they're pre-federation starfleet, a little bit racist, and kinda stupid.
    Discovery. Hey, that last couple of eps weren't that bad, right? Totally S.31.