Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Which Star Trek TV series is your favourite?

Comments

• Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    Xanathar wrote: »
    Clanof wrote: »
    And the peak of DS9 is season 7. I will accept arguments in favour of season 6, but not season 5.

I disagree. The last half of season 7 (when the final arc starts in full) is good, but the first half of the season is weak. Some of this is due to the introduction of Ezri who pales in comparison to Jadzia and forces episodes like Afterimage which is just one big yawn. But you've also got clunkers like Take Me out to the Holosuite, Covenant and Badda-Bing Badda-Bang which are all rather tedious and don't feel sufficiently "Star Trek" to me. Even some of the better episodes like Treachery, Faith and the Great River have silly B-plots to pad it out.

I'm also not a fan of the whole Sarah Sisko/Prophet thing which was not a good direction I thought.
    Another thing I really didn't like was Vic Fontaine popping up everywhere. I don't watch sci-fi to hear that kind of singing on a regular basis. Far too many epsiodes were spoilt by this.

And this brings me to Season 6, the last half of which was rather weak too for similar reasons. Episodes like Valiant and Time's Oprhan must rank as some of the worst episodes ever. The season isn't bad on the whole though, and there are some gems in there.

Season 5 though is the best for me. Call to Arms is probably my favourite episode of all time. For the Uniform, Things Past and Trials and Tribble-ations are all similarly excellent.

In many ways though, it feels a bit like they had 6 years worth of ideas, but when they heard they had a seventh season, they didn't know what to do with it, so everything was padded out excessively (B5 suffered a similar problem but managed to deal with it better IMO). I think it would have been tighter to have only the 6 years, with the last half of season 7 replacing the last half of season 6. The series as whole would be much better off that way.

*laughs* I agree with Kaitee, you just cited a whole bunch of my favourite episodes as reasons you don't like season 7. Covenant in particular is one of my favourite episodes of the series. I also loved Take Me Out to the Holosuite, Badda Bing Badda Bang and Afterimage. I also loved the B plot on Treachery, Faith and the Great River. It's Only a Paper Moon is probably my favourite episode in the whole series.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    I am currently watching the episode where they go back to Kirk’s Enterprise. Wow! They did a PHDNOMENAL job with this episode. It’s awesome!
  • Options
    The Original Series
    One of the guys that wrote some of those episodes, Christopher L. Bennett, has written several officially licensed books that pick up right where the last episode left off and carry it years into the future. It’s a really well done extrapolation that’s pretty enjoyable. Rise of the Federation is the series for those of you interested.

Christopher L. Bennett has never written any episode for any Star Trek series.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Enterprise
    About a week ago I watched the one where they erased Kurn’s memory. I liked that one. Pretty powerful. I see DS9 is more in your face and doesn’t play it soft. I must say that does appeal to me. This is what I liked about Enterprise. They didn’t always save the day. People died. Desperation was felt in many situations. We didn’t get this with TOS or TNG. I am now almost done with season 5. I see what everyone means. The first four seasons are kinda meh but season 5, especially towards the middle-end, has really picked up and caught my attention
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Deep Space Nine
    You're really powering through them. I like your style.

And for the record Enterprise was probably my second favourite series. There are some very favourable similarities between the two.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    Clanof wrote: »
    You're really powering through them. I like your style.

And for the record Enterprise was probably my second favourite series. There are some very favourable similarities between the two.

Yeah I get through a few episodes per day. Work overnight and don’t sleep much.

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    You're not quote there yet, but I am very curious as to what you think of Call to Arms (5th season finale) through S6E06 the Sacrifice of Angels. It a bit of a mini-arc. (See did it without spoilers!) :)

As an aside, part of the "You are cordially invited" script made it into my wedding vows (with the blessing and joyful reception of my spouse)

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Enterprise
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    You're not quote there yet, but I am very curious as to what you think of Call to Arms (5th season finale) through S6E06 the Sacrifice of Angels. It a bit of a mini-arc. (See did it without spoilers!) :)

As an aside, part of the "You are cordially invited" script made it into my wedding vows (with the blessing and joyful reception of my spouse)

I will certainly let you know. I’m very close to the end of season 5. I’m on the one where Sisko takes Eddington because there are missles headed for Cardassia

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    And thank you for not giving anything away
  • Options
    The Original Series
    Old enough to have seen TOS when it was first broadcast. Watching it now we cringe at the wobbly sets and bizarre costumes, but it was the 60s. This series was truly groundbreaking (and let's not forget, award-winning). A lot of the story lines stand up well and IMHO some even surpass anything around today.
    Having said that I like all the other series too, but for me this poll was a no-brainer.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise

I just finished that mini arc you were talking about. Yes, that whole story line was very good. In fact that whole period there changed my thoughts from this is a kind of boring show to this is a good show. I’m pretty gripped now.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    Just saw episode 12. I dig the whole Morn thing.
  • Options
    Deep Space Nine
    For me DS9 is not only the best Star Trek series, but also one of the best series I've ever seen. Character development is absolutely sublime, and that was accomplished without compromising the story. On the contrary, the story has so many layers... family, friendship, duty, exploration, religion, war, spirituality and also a great development of different races. I could lose the episodes with Julian's genetically engineered patients, but other than that I loved every second of DS9. "Far across the stars" and "In the Pale moonlight" are my favorite episodes.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    I always wondered why the Bashir’s were augments. Now I know. Just saw the episode where Jadzia died. I’m on season 7 now
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine

I just finished that mini arc you were talking about. Yes, that whole story line was very good. In fact that whole period there changed my thoughts from this is a kind of boring show to this is a good show. I’m pretty gripped now.

I think that's why many folks look back at DS9 fondly... there are the payoffs to the character building.

But then again I go back and watch early eps knowing what will happen to some of them or due to interesting supporting cast. (Way of the Warrior is one I keep going back to... the dialogue between Worf and Gowron stirs something for me.)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    As a relatively newly minted Dad, DS9 has a whole new dimension for me now.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise

What a coincidence. My first child was born this past Saturday. I just saw season 7 episode 8 about the Dominion communications array. That was a great episode.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    Data1001 wrote: »

What a coincidence. My first child was born this past Saturday. I just saw season 7 episode 8 about the Dominion communications array. That was a great episode.

Hey, congrats and Mazel Tov, EWB!

May I suggest this Trek-themed onesie for your little one? ;)

k8xkc41shu2z.jpg

OMG that’s hilarious!!! I see a captains log joke somewhere too

• Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine

Congrats on the little one! Should do wonders for your Faction Event rankings too, since you'll easily be awake every three hours! ;)
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    Magisse wrote: »

Congrats on the little one! Should do wonders for your Faction Event rankings too, since you'll easily be awake every three hours! ;)

Ha! Thanks man! I kinda already am so this should be a piece of cake. Right!

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine

Awesome and congratulations!

Gives a whole new perspective on Sisko, huh?

mmm you're about to see some interesting eps too. Last Mirror Ep is coming.. Curious to see your thoughts on It Only a Paper Moon.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise

Awesome and congratulations!

Gives a whole new perspective on Sisko, huh?

mmm you're about to see some interesting eps too. Last Mirror Ep is coming.. Curious to see your thoughts on It Only a Paper Moon.

I thought the episode where Nog came home minus one leg was awesome. I dig the human interest stories. Even if they are Ferengi.

Thank you for the congrats and congrats to you too! It’s been a rough road for us and my little girl these few weeks so yes, all of life has been put into a different perspective.

• Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    Nerfball6 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the age range of DS9 fans probably correlates to the age range of the majority of gamers here.

Don't forget the other spin-offs: TNG, VOY, ENT and DSC.

So, how does his statement forget them. He's stating that the reason that DS9 keeps topping the polls is that the age range of average DS9 viewers correlates to the average age range of the playerbase...

Not a bad thought, it would be interesting to explore the data. Especially since I know at least one person who Enterprise is their favorite who is the same age as me (Sisko all the way...) (not Cisco, not Sisqo, Sisko)

But he could be an outlier, or hell, I might be one age wise.

There’s currently an annonymous poll regarding age of players running in The Ready Room. By far, 30-39 is dominating.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise
    I am 43. I was around to watch them all as they came out except for TOS which now is so cheesy that it’s unwatchable. I absolutely loved TNG. It skewed me to not watch DS9 when it came out cuz I was in that it can’t compare mindset. I tried to watch Voyager but found it very boring and I just couldn’t get into the characters. Enterprise came out at a great time. Enough time went by from the other shows where I was ready and willing for a new Star Trek and it really connected with me. A theme song isn’t going to ruin a show for me and I actually kinda like the song anyway. I feel the same with Discovery. Enough time has gone by to avoid the comparisons with the other shows and I was ready for a new Trek. It has kept me gripped to it and I like it alot. It’s a great show and Jason Isaacs is awesome as Lorca.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Deep Space Nine
    I am 43. I was around to watch them all as they came out except for TOS which now is so cheesy that it’s unwatchable. I absolutely loved TNG. It skewed me to not watch DS9 when it came out cuz I was in that it can’t compare mindset. I tried to watch Voyager but found it very boring and I just couldn’t get into the characters. Enterprise came out at a great time. Enough time went by from the other shows where I was ready and willing for a new Star Trek and it really connected with me. A theme song isn’t going to ruin a show for me and I actually kinda like the song anyway. I feel the same with Discovery. Enough time has gone by to avoid the comparisons with the other shows and I was ready for a new Trek. It has kept me gripped to it and I like it alot. It’s a great show and Jason Isaacs is awesome as Lorca.

Doesn't it bother you that a lead in Starfleet is so, well, unethical?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enterprise

I believe he has been Mirror Lorca all along
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine

That's the thing, yeah he's Mirror, but he should not have been able to hide with that behavior for so dang long.

And frankly having him main cast is like getting rid of a lot of subplots of DS9 and putting Eddington in charge of things.

It's too 'juicy' for me I guess.

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Next Generation

That's the thing, yeah he's Mirror, but he should not have been able to hide with that behavior for so dang long.

Not all Mirror Terrans are alike. Smiley is probably much less cut-throat than many other Terrans for example.

And then there's Mirror Brunt. He's just so swell. Makes me want to give those ears a pinch.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Deep Space Nine
    Smiley is also the product of decades of Terran subjugation and slavery. Most of the mirror humans in DS9 are decent people... at least compared to the humans in Kirk's day. Being on the other side of the oppression seems to have fundamentally altered humanity in general, as one would expect that it would.