Home The Bridge

Something Needs to Change for Rewards

2»

Comments

• kapukapu ✭✭✭
    theres tons of people sitting at 130-135k, taptap it up to 140k and you'll shave off thousands of spots...

currently the 1500th place is at 260k with 2 hours to go. just fyi.
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    357,465 VP gets you rank 431 currently
  • Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    Xoiiku...

I like your proposal somewhat because it gives a top threshold reward as a legendary. It gives people the option of whether to use the honor gained on another super-rare or to save it. I don't think DB will ever give out a legendary as a threshold reward though but to be honest it would make me contribute to Galaxy Events more.

If DB doesn't offer a legendary as a threshold reward then this setup becomes problematic because people lose out on the chance to get the new legendary crew member unless they lucky with the packs.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    kapu wrote: »
    theres tons of people sitting at 130-135k, taptap it up to 140k and you'll shave off thousands of spots...

currently the 1500th place is at 260k with 2 hours to go. just fyi.

Whilst that's true, there's still an opportunity cost to doing that. For some it still takes away from leveling. For myself and others, it cuts into your stash for the next Galaxy. Which is this week. Did you know that Quark is cool and should be in my roster??!?!?

Unless he's one of those stinky 2 skill 1/5's. Blargh. I'd be saddened if he ended up like Bid Eared Jazz Odo's kid brother.

Personally, I vaulted Pulaski as soon as I hit 130K. Which didn't happen till Saturday because I was lazy. I didn't feel like putting in extra effort for a few hundred honour. I had to get 5* Jessica Jones in Marvel Puzzle Quest anyways. Oh and try to get some work done.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The only way to go for rank in a Galaxy Event these days is to dedicate all four days to playing. Between Voyages and all the players who are sitting on piles of in-game emails, the event format is no longer remotely managed by the bottleneck of chroniton availability. It's a four-day free-for-all, and it is impossible to put that genie back in its bottle.

This is why I'm strictly a Thresholds-and-Out player, and even that depends on my interest in the threshold 4*.

I don't think the bold is really very accurate. I saved up chrons for about 4-5 days prior to the event, playing as close to the minimum each day to clear the daily rewards, making good use of ad-warp. I was also able to level up several crew in that time, or right after the start of the event: 4* Noah (0 to FE), 5* 1701 Sisko (L30 to FE), 4* Pulaski (0 to FE), 2* Neelix (0 to FE).

By the start of the event I had about 4,000 chrons saved up. I dropped a supply kit and burned through about 3,000 of those chrons, as well as all the reward chrons I got. I played hardcore for about 3 hours, and didn't put another chron into the event until this morning, so I could ensure I finished in the top-2500 (about 600 chrons).

I think the key for galaxy events, in addition to stockpiling chrons leading up to it, is having solid event crew to greatly increase your accumulation of rare rewards. In the 3 hours I played at the start of the event, I was able to generate about 225 rare rewards, thanks to having FE Pulaski (eventually immortalized) and a FE 2/4 Noah. I immediately crafted a single item to be 'in the event', but didn't start actually playing until I had received and FE the community Pulaski. I then played and quickly added additional stars to her as I went.

I have used this approach a lot lately, and have been able to come away with 2 FF 4* crew. Since I already had a 1/4 Noah from a past voyage or pull, and got another copy as a community award, I had the luxury of only needing a top-2500 finish this time. Even if I needed top-2000 for the final copy, I certainly wouldn't need to be playing for 4 solid days, thanks to a little planning and an effective strategy.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finishing 2500 != ranking. When people are talking about ranking they mean top 1k. There is a wide gap between 2500 and 1k. Especially since very few people care about top 2500. You have some people watching for top 2k to FF Noah, but once you're under that you have mostly people who did threshold and then stopped.
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think having a legendary / the legendary in the threshold would take away from completive play.. for me it would escalate it because ok I got this one, but now I need to rank as high as I can for more honor to add more stars.

To be, 2*s on a legendary is way better then 1.
    And if I've managed to fight my way to that second star, we allllll know that the 3rd is where the juice starts to drip so gonna pull me a pack or two and hopefully get that extra star.. but if I don't.. that's cool because those those 4 stars from the event will need a bit of love anyways
    Cause I'm saving the honor from ranking for my 5*s
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    The only way to go for rank in a Galaxy Event these days is to dedicate all four days to playing. Between Voyages and all the players who are sitting on piles of in-game emails, the event format is no longer remotely managed by the bottleneck of chroniton availability. It's a four-day free-for-all, and it is impossible to put that genie back in its bottle.

This is why I'm strictly a Thresholds-and-Out player, and even that depends on my interest in the threshold 4*.

I don't think the bold is really very accurate. I saved up chrons for about 4-5 days prior to the event, playing as close to the minimum each day to clear the daily rewards, making good use of ad-warp. I was also able to level up several crew in that time, or right after the start of the event: 4* Noah (0 to FE), 5* 1701 Sisko (L30 to FE), 4* Pulaski (0 to FE), 2* Neelix (0 to FE).

By the start of the event I had about 4,000 chrons saved up. I dropped a supply kit and burned through about 3,000 of those chrons, as well as all the reward chrons I got. I played hardcore for about 3 hours, and didn't put another chron into the event until this morning, so I could ensure I finished in the top-2500 (about 600 chrons).

I think the key for galaxy events, in addition to stockpiling chrons leading up to it, is having solid event crew to greatly increase your accumulation of rare rewards. In the 3 hours I played at the start of the event, I was able to generate about 225 rare rewards, thanks to having FE Pulaski (eventually immortalized) and a FE 2/4 Noah. I immediately crafted a single item to be 'in the event', but didn't start actually playing until I had received and FE the community Pulaski. I then played and quickly added additional stars to her as I went.

I have used this approach a lot lately, and have been able to come away with 2 FF 4* crew. Since I already had a 1/4 Noah from a past voyage or pull, and got another copy as a community award, I had the luxury of only needing a top-2500 finish this time. Even if I needed top-2000 for the final copy, I certainly wouldn't need to be playing for 4 solid days, thanks to a little planning and an effective strategy.

Two quick things:

Firstly, your bar for what constitutes being competitive in this event was set as low as a top 2500 finish. It's generally been considered that a top 1000 finish--to earn a 5*--is the default objective in events.

Secondly, you shaved off time spent playing the event by sacrificing a good deal of the preceding days. It may have freed you up to bail early on the event and coast to your lower rank goal, but it came at the expense of committing those 4-5 days before the event started. Your opportunity cost for not spending all four days in the event was to not spend four or five non-event days using only the bare minimum of your resources.

Hardly a compelling counterargument that the only way to compete in a Galaxy Event is to commit yourself fully to it.
  • Rewards need revamp. Its is pretty hard even to get top 3k in order to get a copy of ranked 4 star.

Maybe percentage base rewards?

I do not even understand the babying of the 5 star. 1/5 is not a game breaker and would likely **tsk tsk** people into the double up offer.

a bunch of 1/5 is quite painful.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pepex82 wrote: »
    Rewards need revamp. Its is pretty hard even to get top 3k in order to get a copy of ranked 4 star.

Maybe percentage base rewards?

Many of us have been pleading for percentile based rank rewards a la the Arena for ages now. I wholly agree it's increasingly clear how practical this would be.
    I do not even understand the babying of the 5 star. 1/5 is not a game breaker and would likely *chocolate cronut* people into the double up offer.

a bunch of 1/5 is quite painful.

The babying of 5*s is a little bit tricky. The economics of the game are based on perceived value, and nothing is as highly valued as a 5/5. I can understand trying to protect that perceived value.

That said, as our crew quarters become increasingly occupied by incompletely fused crew, we're often having to reevaluate whether to keep one more 1/5. Surely that is detrimental to the perceived value of the 5*. Personally, I feel that it's fine to preserve the perceived value of a 1/5 by keeping those difficult to acquire, but that lowering the exchange rate of Honor for a Citation would make acquiring a 1/5 more desirable than it presently is.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Webberoni wrote: »

Two quick things:

Firstly, your bar for what constitutes being competitive in this event was set as low as a top 2500 finish. It's generally been considered that a top 1000 finish--to earn a 5*--is the default objective in events.

Secondly, you shaved off time spent playing the event by sacrificing a good deal of the preceding days. It may have freed you up to bail early on the event and coast to your lower rank goal, but it came at the expense of committing those 4-5 days before the event started. Your opportunity cost for not spending all four days in the event was to not spend four or five non-event days using only the bare minimum of your resources.

Hardly a compelling counterargument that the only way to compete in a Galaxy Event is to commit yourself fully to it.

Actually I did something similar with hoarded chrons from Voyages and just played for 2 days.
    Helps with some extra VIP to Warp 10.

I played Thurs and Sunday mostly. Occasional ad warp the other days. Meant I only used 2 supply kits but missed some chron earnings.