Home The Bridge

New "Legend": I'm thinking Surak

Comments

• S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shoulder pads were a thing only on TNG.

DS9/ENT - there are no shoulder pads for Romulans.

I beg to differ they were definitely in DS9
    https://goo.gl/images/vjSLn1

I forgot about that, but

320x240.jpg

latest?cb=20070610201522

22768673693_8f17461e81_b.jpg

• edited March 2018
    New Legend: im thinking major forum upset and pitchfork lighting...i genuinely hope im wrong though...WE WANT SURAK!!!
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    it depending on who it was.
    In DS9, The military, like T'Rul seemed to still have the pads, but folks like Senator Cretak and Vreenak did not.

In TNG you really only saw Military officers.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    shoulder pads were a thing only on TNG.

DS9/ENT - there are no shoulder pads for Romulans.

I beg to differ they were definitely in DS9
    https://goo.gl/images/vjSLn1

I forgot about that, but

320x240.jpg

latest?cb=20070610201522

22768673693_8f17461e81_b.jpg

Also no shoulder pads in TOS.

The biggest shoulder pads were TNG and early DS9. And even then, that was only for the Romulan Military. A civilian would have been in robes.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it's Vreenak. A silhouette has a visible strand of hair on the crown area and only Romulan could have that is Vreenak.

Second, Vreenak is a Meme Legend and fan favorite.
    I think that it's Vreenak. A silhouette has a visible strand of hair on the crown area and only Romulan could have that is Vreenak.

Second, Vreenak is a Meme Legend and fan favorite.

But Vreenak never wore robes like that. At his head wasn't that round. And he's a fan favourite, but not a "Legend" who's worthy of being a mega recurring character.

Also, not sure where you're getting that strand of hair thing from, his hair looks pretty neat to me...do you mean the asteroid over his head?

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    From Memory Alpha on the Episode 'Improbable Cause: "This episode marks the appearance of a new style of Tal Shiar uniform. This redesign was Ronald D. Moore's idea. After he watched the episode "Visionary", he came to feel that the old style Romulan uniforms were unacceptable and he had Robert Blackman give the design an overhaul; "I hated, underline hated, the Romulan costumes. Big shoulder pads, the quilting, I just loathed it. I begged, insisted, screamed, pleaded." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)"

So yes, early DS9 Romulans had the old TNG style uniforms with the shoulder pads. Here in this episode they entered a new fashion era ;-)
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would MUCH rather have a main cast mega char like Spock in my crew than a non-main char. Plus, a main char is infinitely more useful AFTER the mega, in other events. Who do you think more people would drop $25 to DYC, Spock or a 1 hit wonder romulan? I don't even remember any of the romulans mentioned in this thread. If it DOES end up being a romulan, I'll have to go back and rewatch their episode(s), because frankly, off the top of my head, I can't think of any specific romulans that were all that memorable to me. To be fair though, I haven't watched a lot of TNG or DS9 in a LONG time, except for certain episodes I rewatched recently because their characters were introduced to the game and I simple couldn't remember who they were.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    My money is on Admiral Valdore.

Jim

latest?cb=20120403150448&path-prefix=en

I would like that but is he a legendary Star Trek character?

• al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Who do you think more people would drop $25 to DYC, Spock or a 1 hit wonder romulan?
    Depends on how full is their Romulan collection.
  • Jazz Musician Riker--the Legend returns (oh wait, only 3 stars and in the portal now).

Then it has to be someone like Spock or Surak, right (or maybe Lenard Romulan from TOS)? None of these one-offs are "Legends." They are barely "legends" if the whole game was based upon their one episode. More like "Missing Cool Romulan Character."
    Roland 359 wrote: »
    Jazz Musician Riker--the Legend returns (oh wait, only 3 stars and in the portal now).

Then it has to be someone like Spock or Surak, right (or maybe Lenard Romulan from TOS)? None of these one-offs are "Legends." They are barely "legends" if the whole game was based upon their one episode. More like "Missing Cool Romulan Character."

You mean like Kortar or T'Kuvma?
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Jazz Musician Riker--the Legend returns (oh wait, only 3 stars and in the portal now).

Excellent point. I’ve been thinking the same thing. While Prisoner Cornwell was somewhat integral to the plot of the season in a way, I wouldn’t put her up there with the concept of an actually-legendary mega event recurring crew that some are proposing here.
    I postulated this in another thread, but the only thing in common the Mega's have is the value of Epic-Fail.

Borg Queen always thwarted by Picard and Janeway (hardcore in First Contact and Endgame)
    Kortar condemned for his killing of the Klingon gods to the Barge of the Dead and thwarted from getting Miral or B Torres to Grethor
    Mirror Picard couldn't save his empire
    Cornwell --- I'm not gonna rehash her incompetence and failures.

So Vreenak would work perfect in there.
  • Pallidyne wrote: »

But did DB advertise those as "The legend arrives"???
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was about to say the exact same thing

• IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can just see DB switching in a Vulcan character with a Romulan one and vice versa in a playful manner right now, with an evil smile on their faces... should we, shouldn't we.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's definitely not a romulan
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!

In Kortars case he was very much played up.
    The exact language may vary, but the hype is still the same.
  • S'harien would be my wish.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone with 10 minutes of screen time or appears in one episode or half a movie doesn't qualify as a legend. I think this discounts almost all the Romulans.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone with 10 minutes of screen time or appears in one episode or half a movie doesn't qualify as a legend. I think this discounts almost all the Romulans.
    Don't agree. I'd happily accept Mark Lenard's first-Romulan-ever, from one of the best TOS episodes.

I'd also consider T'Pau worthy.
    Magisse wrote: »
    Don't agree. I'd happily accept Mark Lenard's first-Romulan-ever, from one of the best TOS episodes.

Well I believe we already have Romulan with the most appearances as a 3 star (Cretak) (please correct me if I'm wrong on that front.)

Though I have to agree, even one episode can have be very impactful, such as Lenards first Romulan. That's iconic, and had a very lasting impact.

T'Pau doesn't fit the silhouette, but I do hope we get her in this Mega.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor

I agree. Great performance but not a legendary character. That would require appearing across multiple series and movies etc. The word is over used and should only apply to a handful of characters compared to the total number available in the Star Trek universe.

Also, is T'Pau not Vulcan? My quote referred to Romulans. 😀
    Definition 2 of legendary from Webster: "remarkable enough to be famous; very well known."

The reason Romulans entered the culture was due to the strength of the writing and Lenards performance.

You can see a bumper sticker and many non-Trekkies have heard of a Romulan because of Balance of Terror.

Hey, just a discussion. If that is legendary to you, great. Enjoy it. I enjoyed it too, I just don't think the character is considered legendary.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, is T'Pau not Vulcan? My quote referred to Romulans. 😀
    I was just commenting on the general position, not about the Romulan part. ;)
  • Well, I think the description "Legendary" in the ST universe isn't necessarily about screen time, if they are legends in the universe itself (think--T'Pau, Surak or even Kortar). But most of the Romulans we've been discussing are not legends in-universe or in-our-universe--more like cult favorites. Agree on Lenard from Balance of Terror, even if it's a bit of a stretch, because of the historic impact on our perception of the ST universe. There are many ways to become a legend, but appearing in one great episode of latter-day Trek doesn't really cut it, IMHO.
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the heck of it, what are the chances that “Legend” in this case merely refers to a gold character? As in, a “Legendary”?