Home The Bridge

Gauntlet Trait Combination Occurrences

Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in The Bridge
I've kept track of each Gauntlet's primary skill and trait combinations, as well as my own rankings, trophies, and crews. I figured there was a large enough sample size by now to look at the number of instances of each combination in this time. Note: The same trio of skills isn't always listed in the same order in-game. For the purposes of organizing this more easily, I've simply alphabetized each set. Here's how many times each set has come up, along with the date of its most recent Gauntlet appearance. Updated to denote number of 65% crit crew members for that Gauntlet, where applicable. (Assume none if there's no notation.)

There are two Gauntlet schedules (i.e., Schedule A is Day 1 & 3, Schedule B is Day 2 & 4...). This information reflects Schedule A. Updated through 5/16/18.

x13
Betazoid, Counselor, Nurse (5/2/18)

x11
Civilian, Exobiology, Hologram (4/30/18)
Diplomat, Federation, Romantic (3/19/18; 65% crit chance crew: 2)

x10
Civilian, Cyberneticist, Explorer (3/5/18)

x9
Innovator, Resourceful, Vulcan (4/18/18)
Human, Innovator, Jury Rigger (4/20/18; 65% crit chance crew: 3)
Civilian, Gambler, Hologram (4/22/18)
Federation, Resourceful, Warp Theorist (4/26/18)

x8
Brutal, Marksman, Villain (3/21/18)

x7
Astrophysicist, Prodigy, Telepath (4/24/18)
Caregiver, Federation, Physician [formerly Doctor] (4/16/18; 65% crit chance crew: 2)
Desperate, Saboteur, Tactician (3/27/18)

x6
Augment, Geneticist, Romantic (3/7/18)
Bajoran, Gambler, Pilot (3/29/18)
Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Klingon (3/23/18; 65% crit chance crew: 4)

x5
Athlete, Explorer, Interrogator (3/17/18)
Borg, Survivalist, Undercover Operative (3/15/18)
Costumed, Romantic, Quantum Mechanics (3/11/18)
Cyberneticist, Hunter, Maquis (4/8/18)

x4
Borg, Brutal, Human (9/20/17; 65% crit chance crew: 4)
Brutal, Desperate, Villain (4/14/18; 65% crit chance crew: 4)
Cardassian, Obsidian Order, Saboteur (4/10/18; 65% crit chance crew: 5)
Cardassian, Musician, Prodigy (4/12/18)
Civilian, Desperate, Tactician (11/14/17)
Communicator, Ferengi, Merchant (3/25/18; 65% crit chance crew: 2)
Costumed, Duelist, Veteran (4/2/18; 65% crit chance crew: 1)
Crafty, Desperate, Warp Theorist (3/9/18)
Hero, Maverick, Romantic (4/4/18)
Resourceful, Starfleet, Undercover Operative (8/25/17; 65% crit chance crew: 5)

x3
Astrophysicist, Bajoran, Hunter (4/6/18)
Astrophysicist, Borg, Resourceful (5/4/18)
Bartender, El-Aurian, Empath (5/16/18; 65% crit chance crew: 2)
Borg, Interrogator, Resourceful (5/12/18; 65% crit chance crew: 1)
Communicator, Maverick, Terran Empire (1/14/18)
Cultural Figure, Investigator, Klingon (5/10/18)
Desperate, Geneticist, Klingon (5/6/18; 65% crit chance crew: 1)

x2
Astrophysicist, Borg, Maquis (8/15/17)
Augment, Maverick, Villain (7/8/17)
Borg, Prodigy, Quantum Mechanics (5/20/17)
Constable, Section 31, Spiritual (8/17/17)
Costumed, Crafty, Scoundrel (3/31/18; 65% crit chance crew: 6)
Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Villain (8/27/17; 65% crit chance crew: 2)
Dahar Master, Klingon, Veteran (8/21/17; 65% crit chance crew: 1)

x1
Communicator, El-Aurian, Marksman (7/2/17; 65% crit chance crew: 1)
Dahar Master, Hero, Klingon (7/14/17)
Desperate, Duelist, Klingon (7/28/17)
Klingon, Interrogator, Survivalist (7/30/17)

Comments

• Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Travis, I love your threads about statistics you've kept, especially stuff like this which I don't think I've seen anyone else post about before. Kinda makes me wish I kept better records, but then that lazy devil on my shoulder screams in my ear, "C'mon… You don't really want to put in any more effort than the minimum, do you?" And I reach for another bag of snacks instead.

When I first started playing, there were already four months of forum posts and Wiki pages created by data collectors that benefited me greatly and immediately. Once I became committed to the game and comfortable making contributions, I felt I should. Also, I'm one of those list-making people who compulsively organize data of the least important things because that's how we process the world. (Fun fact: I learned to write as a child because my mom had me make lists of which specific He-Man action figures I wanted, and I copied their names from the back of the package of whichever one I had recently gotten.)
  • edited April 2018
    Travis, I love your threads about statistics you've kept, especially stuff like this which I don't think I've seen anyone else post about before. Kinda makes me wish I kept better records, but then that lazy devil on my shoulder screams in my ear, "C'mon… You don't really want to put in any more effort than the minimum, do you?" And I reach for another bag of snacks instead.

When i see Travis' long statistical posts, i think of Odo thinking it's annoying how Humanoids have to keep such extensive records and create new ways of storing data...so they can keep so many records. Please understand i dont mean this as a dis...but i do think Travis' house's walls are made of filing cabinets.
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid work Travis. I'm sure lots of players (myself included) will find this useful.
  • IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Related to this, can I please give you another assignment @Travis S McClain ? ;)
    Would you be able to provide us with a list of which Crew have had a 65% Crit Chance in a Gauntlet, as well as how often this has occurred for each of them?

Thanks again for all your efforts!!! :)
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wait for Travis to post it. You know it will happen at some point ;)
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Cool list, but it only includes half the gauntlets. The alternate rotation most likely has very different traits dominating. They were all listed in the wiki, not sure if that's still the case.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    p377y7h33f wrote: »
    Cool list, but it only includes half the gauntlets. The alternate rotation most likely has very different traits dominating. They were all listed in the wiki, not sure if that's still the case.

What makes you think the alternate day would be "very different"? Certainly, they COULD (and almost certainly are at least subtly different) but I would be very surprised if they have a bank of "Day A" combinations and "Day B" combinations.

A simpler implementation would be a single bank potential combinations with some programmatic assurances the same one isn't picked too frequently.
  • Personally, I've seen (Cardassian Prodigy Musician) waaaay more than three times. I've probably spent a significant amount of time on "Day B."

Not suggesting that the two have different odds or draw from different pools, just pointing out that there's obviously variance between the two days, which can make them look very different.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the galaxy's future from itself since 22XX
  • p377y7h33f wrote: »
    Cool list, but it only includes half the gauntlets. The alternate rotation most likely has very different traits dominating. They were all listed in the wiki, not sure if that's still the case.

What makes you think the alternate day would be "very different"? Certainly, they COULD (and almost certainly are at least subtly different) but I would be very surprised if they have a bank of "Day A" combinations and "Day B" combinations.

A simpler implementation would be a single bank potential combinations with some programmatic assurances the same one isn't picked too frequently.

i've run 3 accounts since the inception of the gauntlet often alternating between rotations, and other than the consistent "featured event" gauntlets the trait selection seemed pretty random to me.

I can't account for data I don't have. I can only offer data I do have. What value any of it has is up to each of you.

unfortunately the entire 2017 history page on the wiki is gone. like everything else in the game gauntlet selection was likely determined by RNG for each day.

i've run 3 accounts since the inception of the gauntlet often alternating between rotations, and other than the consistent "featured event" gauntlets the trait selection seemed pretty random to me.

I can't account for data I don't have. I can only offer data I do have. What value any of it has is up to each of you.

unfortunately the entire 2017 history page on the wiki is gone. like everything else in the game gauntlet selection was likely determined by RNG for each day.

Respectfully, what anything may have seemed to you and what you think is likely both lack any empirical backing. You're perfectly welcome to dismiss this information. I'm not even saying it's important, let alone that it's definitive. But to argue that your perception of your experience nullifies it is a rather dubious position to take.

Anecdotally, I can say that whenever my fleet mates and I have talked about our respective Gauntlets, those of us on the same schedule have corroborated that we're all doing the same thing.
  • p377y7h33fp377y7h33f ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    i never said it nullifies anything. i said it was a cool list. in any case here's the data tracking the first 6 months pretty well. you're welcome.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/The_Gauntlet/2017
    i never said it nullifies anything. i said it was a cool list. in any case here's the data tracking the first 6 months pretty well. you're welcome.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/The_Gauntlet/2017

Thanks! I remembered when the Gauntlet launched that an attempt had been made to collect the data, but there was initial confusion as to how universal the trait combinations were. It was because of that that I decided to keep up with my own data, rather than rely on my fellow Wiki contributors.

A cursory look through my data matches the available records in the Wiki, which would seem to corroborate that the combinations are universal. I seem to be on the A schedule. Though the Wiki was abandoned, thankfully the data does include the one weekend I was out of town. Ergo, the data in this thread is reliably complete for the A schedule Gauntlet. (Or, at least, it will be momentarily when I edit to include the traits from that one Gauntlet I missed.)
  • IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Irial wrote: »
    Related to this, can I please give you another assignment @Travis S McClain ? ;)
    Would you be able to provide us with a list of which Crew have had a 65% Crit Chance in a Gauntlet, as well as how often this has occurred for each of them?

Thanks again for all your efforts!!! :)

5* 23rd Century Martok (Costumed, Duelist, Veteran x4)
    5* Ambassador Troi (Diplomat, Federation, Romantic x10)
    5* Assimilated Janeway (Resourceful, Starfleet, Undercover Operative x4)
    5* Assimilated La Forge (Borg, Brutal, Human x4)
    5* Augment Picard (Brutal, Desperate, Villain x3)
    5* Bartender Guinan (Bartender, El-Aurian, Empath x1; Communicator, El-Aurian, Marksman x1)
    5* Borg Queen (Borg, Interrogator, Resourceful x2)
    5* Convergence Day Quark (Communicator, Ferengi, Merchant x4)
    5* Dahar Master Kang (Dahar Master, Klingon, Veteran x2)
    5* Duelist Torres (Human, Innovator, Jury Rigger x8)
    5* Enabran Tain (Cardassian, Obsidian Order, Saboteur x3)
    5* Judge Q (Costumed, Crafty, Scoundrel x2)
    5* Kahless the Unforgettable (Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Klingon x6)
    5* Locutus of Borg (Borg, Brutal, Human x4)
    5* Mariachi Q (Costumed, Crafty, Scoundrel x2)
    5* Martian Quark (Communicator, Ferengi, Merchant x4)
    5* Obsidian Order Garak (Cardassian, Obsidian Order, Saboteur x3)
    5* Pah-wraith Cult Dukat (Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Villain x2)
    5* Sheriff of Nottingham Q (Costumed, Crafty, Scoundrel x2)
    5* Torchbearer Rejac (Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Klingon x6)
    5* Trelane (Costumed, Crafty, Scoundrel x2)
    5* Undercover Sulu (Resourceful, Starfleet, Undercover Operative x4)

4* Agent Harris (Resourceful, Starfleet, Undercover Operative x4)
    4* Antaak (Desperate, Geneticist, Klingon x2)
    4* Bajoran Dukat (Brutal, Desperate, Villain x3; Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Villain x2)
    4* Cardassian Kira (Cardassian, Obsidian Order, Saboteur x3)
    4* Dahar Master Kor (Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Klingon x6)
    4* Doc Crusher (Caregiver, Federation, Physician x6)
    4* Dominion Dukat (Brutal, Desperate, Villain x3)
    4* Dr. David Marcus (Human, Innovator, Jury Rigger x8)
    4* Drone Seven of Nine (Borg, Brutal, Human x4)
    4* Duelist Torres (Desperate, Duelist, Klingon x1)
    4* Kazon Seska (Cardassian, Obsidian Order, Saboteur x3)
    4* Marshal of France Q (Costumed, Crafty, Scoundrel x2)
    4* The Clown (Brutal, Desperate, Villain x3)
    4* Torchbearer Voq (Cultural Figure, Inspiring, Klingon x6)
    4* Tsuntaktse Seven (Borg, Brutal, Human x4)
    4* Waitress Ezri (Resourceful, Starfleet, Undercover Operative x4)

3* Commander Chekov (Resourceful, Starfleet, Undercover Operative x4)
    3* Commander Kruge (Brutal, Marksman, Villain x8)
    3* Florist Q (Costumed, Crafty, Scoundrel x2)
    3* Lwaxana Troi (Diplomat, Federation, Romantic x10)

2* CMO Crusher (Caregiver, Federation, Physician x6)
    2* Ensign Seska (Cardassian, Obsidian Order, Saboteur x3)

1* Chief Engineer Torres (Human, Innovator, Jury Rigger x8)

NOTES
    I accounted for the Doctor trait being revised into the Physician trait.

Crew names in bold appear in the top 10 Gauntlet Pair lists in the STT Crew lvl 100 stats spreadsheet maintained by @Peachtree Rex.

Bartender Guinan and Bajoran Dukat each have two 65% Gauntlets, though Guinan's have only come up once apiece. Dukat's, however, have come up a total of five times (three of one and two of the other).

Thank you again so much for this @Travis S McClain !!! :smiley:

FYI, one of the reasons I asked for this list - besides thinking you must be very bored, and have nothing to do ;) - is because some people think there are only '10-15' characters who are useful/needed in order to win in the Gauntlet. I think seeing how the featured skill and traits can allow so many different characters with decent rolls to have a 65% Crit Chance provides a better perspective on how much potential variety there in fact is over the long haul for your Gauntlet crew selection.
    Irial wrote: »
    Thank you again so much for this @Travis S McClain !!! :smiley:

FYI, one of the reasons I asked for this list - besides thinking you must be very bored, and have nothing to do ;) - is because some people think there are only '10-15' characters who are useful/needed in order to win in the Gauntlet. I think seeing how the featured skill and traits can allow so many different characters with decent rolls to have a 65% Crit Chance provides a better perspective on how much potential variety there in fact is over the long haul for your Gauntlet crew selection.

That was part of why I was curious to review the data in the first place, actually. Unfortunately, you'll count only sixteen crew in bold font who make the top Gauntlet pairs lists. A lot of the others who have 65% Gauntlets have mediocre skills. I'm always disappointed when something comes up where I could use a Dukat, for instance:

Dominion Dukat
    CMD (122-246)
    DIP (152-331)
    SEC (45-117)

Pah-wraith Cult Dukat
    CMD (94-157)
    DIP (212-398)
    SEC (28-58)

All the Starbase and Collection bonuses possible aren't going to make either of them worth bringing, even at 65%.
    I've updated the first post to make note of how many 65% crit chance crew there are, where applicable. None of this week's new crew (Amanda Grayson, Kolinahr Spock, or Surak qualify for any existing Gauntlet trait combinations.

Basically, what all this has shown me is that Ambassador Troi doesn't get enough respect around here. She makes the cut in two of the Gauntlet Top Pairs (#9 in CMD+DIP and #8 in DIP+ENG). The Gauntlet where she has a 65% crit chance is tied for the second most occurrences with ten so far, and the only other 65% crit chance crew for that one is her 3* variant who obviously isn't a remotely comparable alternative--or opponent.

I haven't pulled her yet, and I fell outside the top 1000 in "Season of Love 2" last year, but having reviewed all this, she's definitely getting priority consideration if she turns up in a Behold! for me anytime soon.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is some great work!
  • Personally my minimal records reflect a fault with the supposed prominent skill, not always prominent, and with everyone having kahless, guinan, mirror picard, t’kuvma its ridiculous now. Every gauntlet round is full of the same crew. And even with starbase bonus i regularly have a crew with 25% / 100 more crit chance #’s loose to a 5%, 100 less crit #’s. That is bunk.
    Personally my minimal records reflect a fault with the supposed prominent skill, not always prominent, and with everyone having kahless, guinan, mirror picard, t’kuvma its ridiculous now. Every gauntlet round is full of the same crew. And even with starbase bonus i regularly have a crew with 25% / 100 more crit chance #’s loose to a 5%, 100 less crit #’s. That is bunk.

Those are elements outside the scope of the data presented in this thread. There are, however, any number of other threads dedicated to the same observations and complaints, so you're not alone in being aggravated by those things!
    Updated through 28 April 2018.

Betazoid, Counselor, Nurse remains the most frequently occurring combination (12).
    Civilian remains the most frequently occurring single trait (33).
    No new 65% crit chance crew have been added.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't we have Betazoid, Counselor, Nurse the gauntlet before last?
    Because I just got it again today...
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. Not terribly happy about that, but at least everybody else on the same Gauntlet schedule as I am is also dealing with that same horrid trait combo.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Nod confirmed that the traits were not completely random. At minimum DB picked the traits that were grouped together. If traits were random you'd see things like Klingon, Elaysian, Bartender. The only reason the 45/65 show up is that DB picks traits that work well together. And there certainly are only 1 set of traits for a given day. Otherwise you would see the traits change if you looked at starting a gauntlet over the course of a couple hours.
  • Data1001 wrote: »

I was about to write a post about this and just mention that there should be more shake-up in the gauntlet traits. Travis went ahead and said "Move out of the way, son. Let a professional handle this."
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭
    Next, run a spreadsheet of if the skill combo comes up ENG-DIP or DIP-ENG. With the AND shuttles coming up bugged, PRI / SEC skill might be something we have all been ignoring in Gauntlet.
  • By the way, I must be on the opposite schedule as you. I got the guinan gauntlet: el-aurian, marksman, communicator

We did, on 28 April (i.e., two Gauntlets ago). Last February, there was a run where every other Gauntlet was Diplomat, Federation, Romantic. There were three of those. Hopefully, we won't get Betazoid, Counselor, Nurse a third time on 6 May.

Hopefully.