Home The Bridge

How satisfied are you with the first event of the Vulcan/ Romulan Mega Event?

The first event is coming to a finish, so hows it been for you? What would you vote as the defining point to attribute to this event. Share your thoughts in the comments.

How satisfied are you with the first event of the Vulcan/ Romulan Mega Event? 135 votes

Awesome- The entrance of Surak into the game
37%
ReginoldJuddizausomeAstrometricsJeanLucKirk[DC] PrincipiaCaptain TFSabine of AthensCaptain DurfRoadrunner {SG-66}XoiikuMordackV.Captain Sisko [AA]IvanstoneJim RaynorZann Calcore (ISA)[PAaA] Peanut3141[STJ] WendellCapt Ajamm(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••] 51 votes
Awful- The entrance of Surak into the game
3%
Captain_WhoZombie Squirrel Art0rius[Retired] BeamMeUpScottieCapt. Pete Owen 5 votes
Refreshingly challenging- Less 3person shuttle missions, having to strategize more than usual.
13%
RabbNeos472[SSR] GTMETPaladin 27~peregrine~SMMMirrorMartigansexy_lady[GoT] Unsober ShimodaNeackWebberoni[10F] Belle'Anna CSR _WaylanderCmdr SinclairLegate Damar Roland 359TarquinInterfaced Doc 18 votes
Frustrating- Less 3person shuttle crews making it harder to succeed consistently
9%
uss_bonaventure William T. RikerAlthea BiermontAuntieAPlasma(10F)Geekgirl[S47] ELiLThe Great Gornholio[TUFG] Captain ZlogHappyface[DB:LOL] eXo | KurrostanzaUprisingMuffan 13 votes
The quality of the event crew- Be it good or bad (please comment)
5%
Travis S McClain·§ë· For the ManySunshineRikerTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)S31guest_935349890207745Vehement of Romulus 7 votes
IDICs supply or lack thereof
19%
[KM]VidemCaptainUnderpants[NDQ] Joker41NAMProsserbarrydancerFrankenstein12345678 of 123456789AggeMOZangelesSDJayBeezyK Han Solo Ng & Thank4 All DteaOdo Marmarosacaptain_yarZenthaneXFEwe2robownagearjunaYateballZetterbeard DavideBooks 26 votes
Other- please state
11%
JhamelLady GaghgaghJim SteeleKTzHungry Dog DDMDittoFutureImperfecta(HGH)Apollo(ST) Dreadnought [Deleted User]Shy Khan[DC] Picard Loves RedsMr. Wes Esq.*Nomad* {PoF}Dark Matter 15 votes

Comments

• S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    For me, the defining experience from this first event has been getting Surak and giving him a citation. I wanted to DYC him, but foolishly (unknowingly) prevented myself from having that option by purchasing the Phoenix Cochrane pack.

But Surak is incredibly useful and helps fill some glaring holes in my crew’s abilities... and I got the Caretaker which made it even better.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Other- please state
    Not nuff Romulans ... haven't seen any so far in the first two events of four. I hope the other two will be Romulan only to cumpensate. :)

As for Surak, he's meowsome! Thankies for giving him to us. :)

I wanna see (and hug) Donatra, and I wanna see (and not hug) Vreenak! If we get Toreth and Taris on top of it, it's gunna rock! :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Surak is disappointingly weak, especially in the wake of power creep. It seems as though DB is maybe trying to reverse this somewhat with its recent new crew eg honor hall crusher.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other- please state
    Surak has a very high SCI base and his gauntlet is still very strong over all his three skills. He's useful for almeowst anything (voyages, gauntlet, shuttles, nodes).
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Fuzzy Moo wrote: »
    Surak is disappointingly weak, especially in the wake of power creep. It seems as though DB is maybe trying to reverse this somewhat with its recent new crew eg honor hall crusher.

Yes, I agree about perhaps trying to reverse the power creep. The current event’s Amanda Grayson could also point towards this with her relatively weak stats.

Perhaps it’s a good thing, but unfortunately too late for crew such as Chief O’Brien, who I love, but whose stats are too weak to be effective due to previous power creeping.
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Surak has a very high SCI base and his gauntlet is still very strong over all his three skills. He's useful for almeowst anything (voyages, gauntlet, shuttles, nodes).

For sure, I’m gonna be working him so hard, he’ll feel like he’s chiseling walls in Rura Penthe 😂
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been enjoying the event. There's enough event crew that I don't even have to bother with cherry-picking missions, saving merits and time. IDICs are the only limiting factor but I managed to get Surak FE this morning, as well as clear the final threshold. Happy to walk away with enough McCoys to finish him; still on the fence on trying to stay in the top 1K for Spock - on one hand he'll just be another 1/5, doesn't add much to my crew, and is on the lower tier of character art - on the other, it's Spock.
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, there's no way that this IDIC shortage is coincidental. I get those disks any other time I run Federation shuttles (during an event or otherwise). Them barely dropping during a Vulcan mega seems fishy.

I'm happy with Surak, but a little disappointed with Kolinahr Spock's stats. At 1/5 FE he is 12th base diplomacy in my crew. I would have liked him to be a bit higher than that.

The biggest disappointment is Amanda Grayson. She is completely useless all around with her terrible stats and limited traits. She doesn't even have the Vulcan trait so she will not be used for the remaining three events in this mega. If existing crew can have traits based on affiliation (Kazon Seska with Kazon, Shinzon with Reman) then Amanda should most definitely have "Vulcan".
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy with Surak. I'm also happy with Amanda - partly because it's TOS Amanda, but also because her stats aren't useful post-event. That feels like an accurate reflection of her on screen portrayal. It also makes it painless to freeze her to make room for next week's crew.

Re: IDIC. I have gotten more 3* emitter crystals than 2* IDICs. That is bizzare, and frustrating. After 4 days of Fed shuttles, I had hoped to switch to Sec 31 or Augment for some needed items (I already ran Romulan non-stop for a week before this event so I'm hoping I'm good there). Instead, looks like more Fed.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other- please state
    Surak is cool and has great stats, but everything else I find irksome. No romulans, few three crew missions, and higher shuttle failure rate. Next week we get another tuvok and t'pol when we already have many of both. In a mega event where all vulcans give bonus we dont need main bridge crew people that there are many variations of. We get bonus from all vulcans so I would like to see other vulcans that there not in the game. AND GIVE US LOTS OF ROMULANS, OR AT LEAST SOME!
    Let’s fly!
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other- please state
    As for the 2* IDIC shortage ... Surak and Kolly Spock have eaten all of my 40ish 2* IDICs and up to now I have only gotten three more ... two from cadet challenges on Fryday and one from 100ish shuttles.
  • Got Surak, as long as I manage to get copies in the other events that form this mega even I should end up with a nice new standard addition to my voyage crew. :)
  • ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I'm enjoying the event, especially that it's Vulcan/Romulan(?), and the fun we have with our fleet. Finally there is a Vulcan ship in the game too; hope it will be next month's arena reward. Thanks for making Surak 3-skilled!

That said, I'd be approx 5x happier with the game and event if the art was of the previous quality. Aggressive yellow & black layered outlines and depth-challenged toons break the Trek immersion for me & ability to care about the characters I'd otherwise love to have in my crew. Still citing Surak, or else I won't have the opportunity for a strong SCI base stat any time soon.

Keeping a lookout for favourite older cards for the bridge, and less power creep overtaking them so I can see their epic faces regularly instead of just blazing yellow outlines, less detailed facial features and chunky non-hair. The "Assemble a crew of your favourite characters" advertisement perhaps should be removed from the main STT page.

Would like to play events (not pack-only) for Romulans, especially existing like Nevesa & T'Rul and interesting classics like Vreenak and the Marc Alaimo Romulan from TNG. I know they're coming in the last weeks but was stoked and assumed they'd be here in the first couple as well.

A more fluid balance of Vulcans & Romulans in a Vulcan/Romulan mega is another one of those things which seems obvious to many players, though DB didn't realize we'd feel that way.

Shuttles - success rate has been odd with several 96-99% failing. That could be an outlier but it doesn't seem so. IDIC drop rate could be higher given how many are needed for each crew (especially those without the Vulcan trait despite their culture ;)).

I click past the dialog/story to begin sending shuttles quickly. A place to read it in-game or online after the event begins would be cool. For now I've been taking screenshots.

Events in general I wish to be shorter (2-3 days) and feature more existing crew. & more reruns, allowing DB to focus more on the new events & other things.

Looking forward to the coming weeks. :smile: P&LL
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other- please state
    I'm with Eris.
    -pleased with Surak
    -displeased with the lack of Romulans
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just not feelin' it with these Featured Crews. Lieutenant Valeris was on my wish list before she was added, and I was excited to get her when she debuted, but she's immortalized so I don't have any game play need for a second crack at her. Otherwise, I have no particularly strong reaction to any of the others from this week or next. I'm glad that crew like Kolinahr Spock and Amanda Grayson have been added, but they aren't necessarily crew that I have any strong desire to collect.

And that's, of course, perfectly okay! Not every event, or even every mega-event, needs to appeal to me. I'm sure there are plenty of players who are glad to get a chance to FF their Katra McCoy and Lieutenant Valeris, and who are thrilled about the new crew, and I'm glad those players are getting these opportunities.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuzzy Moo wrote: »
    Surak is disappointingly weak, especially in the wake of power creep. It seems as though DB is maybe trying to reverse this somewhat with its recent new crew eg honor hall crusher.

Weak? I certainly wouldn't say so...

Top 5 in SCI base (1209). Highest average SCI in the game (1686). Very versatile crew in all aspects of the game...
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surak is going to save me the trouble of adding citations to 5* crew. Now I can focus on the ENG side of the Voyage problem instead.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • IDICs supply or lack thereof
    It was a 50 50 between awesome. But Surak needing 78 2* IDIC's, that was kind of a challenge/downer. By the end of mega I will probably have forgotten about it and will complain/whine about all the 2* star icon emblem for all the romulans that will be flooding this mega, as promised by @Shan in a different thread.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Other- please state
    I liked the writing on the shuttle missions. And I hope to FF my Katra McCoy, though I'm right on the bubble - will probably end up with 3/4, depending on the RNG gods. (Update: They were not kind...:( )

No space in my crew quarters at the moment, so I won't be able to enjoy Surak until I make some hard decisions this week.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Surak needing 78 2* IDIC's, that was kind of a challenge/downer.

??? Crew cost finder puts him at needing 37 which "feels" right to me? I thought he was pretty easy to level.
    Other- please state
    UnkieB wrote: »
    But Surak needing 78 2* IDIC's, that was kind of a challenge/downer.

??? Crew cost finder puts him at needing 37 which "feels" right to me? I thought he was pretty easy to level.

Yeah I got him to 100 already and I would definitely remember if it cost 78 IDICs to get there. I know for a fact I didn't have 78 of those stocked up. I did run out of the IDICs I had stocked, which was about 30 or so, and I remember only a few shuttles more were enough for me to get the rest I needed for him.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Well the faction event itself not great, no but just to have Surak makes it awesome.

However and this is a BIG HOWEVER!

The issues I have:
    1) Another med dip purple 3/4 - limited use in mega event and afterwards - ditched
    2) Single Faction (I know this maybe somewhat personal) - I was working on immortalising Rakal Troi for bonus Crew - DB really don't help the "burnout" Scenario if bonus crew are Vulcans and Romulans and this mega event is Vulcan and Romulan, a 2 faction event would make logical sense and be fair.
    3) Rewards after 52k are just not worth it given the gulf between them and the number of transmissions you need to go through - particularly if you have dumped aforementioned Amanda Grayson who is pretty useless. To the point I stopped - I did continue a bit afterwards (just recently) because I needed to top up my IDICs - EDIT even if it was just a few more credits between main reward tiers it might make things a bit more palatable.
    4) again like others have pointed out most missions more than 3 seater crew, if you take point 2 into consideration, this just adds further salt to the injury.
    5) and again as others have intimated questionable item drops (both in cadet challenges in the run up to the event and during shuttle missions during the event.

DB if you squeeze players this hard - you will lose them.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other- please state
    While it is nice to have Surak now we have another wall of him in the gauntlet because of his proficiency rolls.

The main frustration for me is the lack of Romulans in the event crew thus far.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Awesome- The entrance of Surak into the game
    Surak and Kohlinar Spock! Sparkling start.
  • Awesome- The entrance of Surak into the game
    I always appreciate the mega 5*
    ~ seeking out new life
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Surak is going to save me the trouble of adding citations to 5* crew. Now I can focus on the ENG side of the Voyage problem instead.

Getting a Caretaker will aid you in this regard
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bri wrote: »

No it won't. Getting multiple caretaker's might*. I am in the meantime enjoying my extra trainers. 54 3* trainers gets you 1 Basic Holoprogram!

*Or I could just add citations to Leonardo, 7of9, RAF O'Brien, Aviator Yar, Borg Queen or LaBorge.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
    Other- please state
    Bri wrote: »

Yeah Caretaker isn't the best in voyages at 1*. I have him at 2* from a DYC and even then I still only use him on voyages in niche situations (e.g. one of his traits pops up as a bonus). Now 3*, yes I think he'd be quite good, 5* would be one of the best ENG for voyages for sure.
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    Other- please state
    Meh, I'm just in it for the free 4/5 character. Might do a 130k and out next part of event, just because guaranteed 4* to stick in cryo.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • edited April 2018
    Other- please state
    This was the event where I suffered with multiple failures of shuttles that were sent at >90%

Although I personally haven't suffered from this before I notice alot of others have. Very frustrating.

And I understand odds before the trolls start. 🙂