Home The Bridge
Options

I timed myself to clear thresholds and it took...

{DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
...38 minutes. I stand by my previous statement. I'll take galaxy over faction every time. After claiming rewards, I came out not quite 1100 chrons short of where I started. Bam.

Comments

• Options
    Quitter. ;)

I had to awesome that.
  • Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    This one was nice n easy...
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    This one was nice n easy...

Indeed. Let us rejoice by enjoying some nice, uninterrupted sleep this weekend.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yea I actually love galaxy events for that reason. I can get through the 130k by evening Thursday, wake up to a free community pull, and I'm done until next week. It's relaxing. Faction events require me to check my phone every 3 hours.

Plus I immortalized two T'Pols in one afternoon. Show me a faction event where that's possible.
  • Options
    [KM]Videm[KM]Videm ✭✭✭
    Including FE of tpol during the event, I spent 2100 chrons plus rewards to hit threshold. I saved all the rr for phase 2 which would have saved me from spending chrons for almost have of threshold max.
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • Options
    It's the faction events that get me the 5* without the horrendous chron sink galaxies are for top 1000
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for you:

Next galaxy DB is introducing a 60 second cool down on recipe turning. Or pay 10 dil to skip one cool down.

Shhhh. You'll give them ideas.
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for you:

Next galaxy DB is introducing a 60 second cool down on recipe turning. Or pay 10 dil to skip one cool down.

Shudders. I don't even have words for that...
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best was 42 minutes....now i have something to shoot for )
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me 75 minutes to clear all the thresholds and then immortalize Science Officer T'Pol. I wasn't playing straight through, though, as I kept getting interrupted with messages. Started with just under 10k chronitons and a supply kit. I thought for sure I'd written down how many chronitons it ended up costing me, but I don't seem to be able to find it.

I stopped once I cleared the thresholds and was at #830. I'm currently at #7492 and falling. I'll likely slip out of the top 10k by time this thing ends. And that's the rub; clearing thresholds is relatively easy once you hit a certain point. Holding steady in rank is something else.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was timing how long it took me to get the new 2-star Science Officer T'Pol immortalized from start of event. Had her done in 11.5 minutes. I don't know how long it took for the "first-to-max", but I'm sure that would have required a citation and prefarming of science experiments and clothing patterns.

I don't remember how long it took to clear thresholds...a couple hours but I had RL to deal with and couldn't give it my full attention. With the chronitons I had left I tried to get Wedding T'Pol immortalized in 24 hours...fell short on that one while working on the lvl 90 equipment...didn't have the chronitons, IDICs and replications to make it.

Personal challenges are a great way to add fun to galaxy events.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that's the thing, on a Faction if I want to do threshold only I usually have them cleared (even with the stunted quick start) within the first 2 days. If you want to be threshold only you don't have to watch your phone every 3, you've got a lot of leeway to slip. You gotta invest in your crew though so that you have bonus crew to use --- and that's playing the long patient game.

Really its if you want to 'compete' in an event not just 'complete' that you can see the detractors of both events having other points.

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t get it with the Galaxy>Faction event people - especially as it pertains to threshold rewards. Unless you don’t believe in sending more than the bare minimum of shuttles to hit the daily mission requirement, you will spend less additional time time to reach the threshold in a Faction event than you will in a Galaxy event. And if you’re trying to get to the top 1000, you are probably not spending any more time in a Faction event but it may be stretched out over a longer period...you’re still dumping a lot of resources (be it your free time, chrons, dilithium, etc.) into the event either way.
  • Options
    I was happy to so easily get all thresholds and call it a day.... nice weekend without having to do anything extra. B)
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dirk, the total time may be roughly equivalent or even favor Faction events. But it's the *scheduling* that most of us Galaxy fans prefer. For many of us it's much easier to devote a big block of time (or several) to run a ton of Galaxy recipes, rather than having to be free at that specific three-hour mark for four days straight.

But like Palli said, neither side is wrong. And it's great that there's an option to please both types of player!
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t get it with the Galaxy>Faction event people - especially as it pertains to threshold rewards. Unless you don’t believe in sending more than the bare minimum of shuttles to hit the daily mission requirement, you will spend less additional time time to reach the threshold in a Faction event than you will in a Galaxy event. And if you’re trying to get to the top 1000, you are probably not spending any more time in a Faction event but it may be stretched out over a longer period...you’re still dumping a lot of resources (be it your free time, chrons, dilithium, etc.) into the event either way.

It is not total time, it is when I play. For me to be competitive, I have to kick start the event whilst at work. I can (and do) start in a break, but I have to devote the whole break to it, and still don't do it properly.

Then for the rest of the event, I have to stop work every three hours for five minutes at certain times. These times often fall outside my regular break times.

Galaxy, I get to button press when I get home from work, I can do this nice and relaxed with a pint of beer. I can do a bit more the next morning whilst eating breakfast, and during my regular breaks at work, without the stress.

With Galaxy, I tend to get two 4/4* crew, the event seems less competitive. With faction I get one 3/4, and struggle to get a 4/4 ranked reward.
  • Options

I can only speak for myself here but my dislike of faction mainly boils down to a few things... The first being that I have to set alarms to go off in the middle of the night if I want to rank. Sending overnights just won't cut it. Even if all my overnights succeed, which rarely happens, I'm still going to slip 2-300 places typically. I might, MIGHT, be able to get away with it once and still be able to rank, but I'm still looking at 3 nights of interrupted sleep. And dude, I like my sleep. I work a physical job and I really need it.

Second, if I want to go see a movie or something and can't re-launch my shuttles as soon as they come in, guess what? I just lost another 100 places. If I want to spend some time with my family at my mom's lake house where cell reception is spotty, that's gonna cost me a couple hundred places too.

Also, when you factor in DBNG, there's ALWAYS a possibility that even if you do everything right for the first 3 days, you can suddenly suffer 8 90%+ losses in a row, and your bird is cooked. You've wasted your whole weekend to walk away with a 4/4 and a 3/4 that won't be added to the portal for 6 months. And that 's happened to me more than once. The rewards just don't justify the effort. Until DB actually reworks the rewards for faction events, you're never going to convince me it's worth the hassle. Frankly, I'm not sure that even a 2/5 would be worth that amount of hassle, much less a 1/5.

As a counter to your argument, I typically spend almost as much time doing my quick start as I spent on this week's entire event. And if you want to rank, you better be ready to go when the countdown hits 0, which inconveniently lands right smack dab in the middle of my work day, like most of us on EST.

Sure, I could spend stupid amounts of money to guarantee I rank but why? If I was willing or able to drop buckets of cash, why not just buy the cards outright and skip the event altogether?

With galaxy, I KNOW, with absolute certainty, I can get the gold if I want it. With faction, it's never a certainty. I can USUALLY rank if I want to, but upsets definitely do happen, and with the time/effort/hassle involved, those upsets REALLY sting.
  • Options
    Sure, I could spend stupid amounts of money to guarantee I rank but why? If I was willing or able to drop buckets of cash, why not just buy the cards outright and skip the event altogether?

With galaxy, I KNOW, with absolute certainty, I can get the gold if I want it. With faction, it's never a certainty. I can USUALLY rank if I want to, but upsets definitely do happen, and with the time/effort/hassle involved, those upsets REALLY sting.

How much do you spend to get into the top 1k in Galaxy? I have not found a way without spending dilithium, chronos and tons of loot. In order to have enough chronos available without paying for them you'd have to login every 2 hours to continue voyages and then not use any chronos to level your crew all week. In that case, you're still logging in when you'd rather not.

I would seriously love to know the secret of succeeding at Galaxy without spending anything, losing loot, and pausing all crew leveling.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can’t you just enjoy both or at least mildly prefer one over the other rather than be so polarized?

That's the world we live in today. Everything is polarized. Coke/Pepsi, Yankees/Red Sox, Habs/Bruins, Republicans/Democrats ...
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Paund Skumm I agree with most of your points, though I mildly dislike both, rather than the reverse. The relaxed "on your own time" feeling of galaxies combined with the non-progress halting faction event would be ideal. I understand those who have all of their characters maxed out needing a resource dump and I might enjoy galaxy more when I'm there, but an ideal new event type would tick those two boxes for me.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...The relaxed "on your own time" feeling of galaxies combined with the non-progress halting faction event would be ideal.
    And that would be Expeditions.
    But even those have problems, mainly tediousness past the first few tickets.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    ...The relaxed "on your own time" feeling of galaxies combined with the non-progress halting faction event would be ideal.

Even those are OK. I somehow ended up with two Mirror Crushers (must have done a pack pull for the 3/4 and got lucky) despite not using the “bonus” six expedition tickets so I’m ready to kick butt on the next one...

I sure would like to see some new event types just to mix things up more. Right now I’m trying to consistently get 8 hour voyages on all skill sets though ENG seems to be the weak point now but Banjo dude is helping. We also now have a strong Voyages MED with Cornwall and SCI with Surak. Did anyone else notice that 3 or the top five Voyage characters were the bonus Mega event characters from the last thee Mega? And all 3 Gauntlet characters are top 10. So six of the top 10 Voyage characters are “free”... plus Borg Queen at 12...

yafq0mxffhnn.jpeg

• Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    Why can’t you just enjoy both or at least mildly prefer one over the other rather than be so polarized?

That's the world we live in today. Everything is polarized. Coke/Pepsi, Yankees/Red Sox, Habs/Bruins, Republicans/Democrats ...

There is no debate about that... “les habitants” all the way... Bobby Orr was a long time ago 😝
  • Options

Even those are OK. I somehow ended up with two Mirror Crushers (must have done a pack pull for the 3/4 and got lucky) despite not using the “bonus” six expedition tickets so I’m ready to kick butt on the next one...

I sure would like to see some new event types just to mix things up more. Right now I’m trying to consistently get 8 hour voyages on all skill sets though ENG seems to be the weak point now but Banjo dude is helping. We also now have a strong Voyages MED with Cornwall and SCI with Surak. Did anyone else notice that 3 or the top five Voyage characters were the bonus Mega event characters from the last thee Mega? And all 3 Gauntlet characters are top 10. So six of the top 10 Voyage characters are “free”... plus Borg Queen at 12...

yafq0mxffhnn.jpeg

Are you sure you didn't get both those crushers from packs? I played (and cleared) every ticket and probably at least 2 extras each day ON TOP of the 6 extras DB "blessed" us with and I still only ranked 1260. Talk about grueling. I was LIVID that I didn't get a Crusher out of that ordeal. Can you double check your event rank for Reflections and let me know what you ranked?

I guess you could've smoked me in the faction portion, but man, that doesn't sound right.
  • Options

yafq0mxffhnn.jpeg

Are you sure you didn't get both those crushers from packs? I played (and cleared) every ticket and probably at least 2 extras each day ON TOP of the 6 extras DB "blessed" us with and I still only ranked 1260. Talk about grueling. I was LIVID that I didn't get a Crusher out of that ordeal. Can you double check your event rank for Reflections and let me know what you ranked?

I guess you could've smoked me in the faction portion, but man, that doesn't sound right.

Wow... trust issues much? 😝

OK... to be clear, I didn’t buy extra tickets every day (just used the freebies) AND I still have the six extra “gift” tickets sitting in my inbox because... Christmas right? Like everyone else, I didn’t have time to slog through with all the turkey cooking and family commitments...

And no... I didn’t superboost the Faction part or used DIL. I don’t have that much DIL to spare as I only buy a monthly card (hence only VIP 8 after playing for 20 months). What little DIL I have I use for pack pulls on events without threshold rewards (mostly faction or the rare faction/expedition like Reflections one but if I already have the threshold character I don’t pull either)... hence the extra Crusher... as that’s my strategy so I don’t end up with a bunch of 3/4 threshold character eating up my limited crew slots...

To confirm, I ended up 577 in the event. But please, I don’t want to bring up the painful memories of the “Mirror Crusher” and “Mirror Picard” fiasco... let’s let that sleeping dog lie...

va2ud3ijth92.jpeg
  • Options

yafq0mxffhnn.jpeg

Wow... trust issues much? 😝

OK... to be clear, I didn’t buy extra tickets every day (just used the freebies) AND I still have the six extra “gift” tickets sitting in my inbox because... Christmas right? Like everyone else, I didn’t have time to slog through with all the turkey cooking and family commitments...

And no... I didn’t superboost the Faction part or used DIL. I don’t have that much DIL to spare as I only buy a monthly card (hence only VIP 8 after playing for 20 months). What little DIL I have I use for pack pulls on events without threshold rewards (mostly faction or the rare faction/expedition like Reflections one but if I already have the threshold character I don’t pull either)... hence the extra Crusher... as that’s my strategy so I don’t end up with a bunch of 3/4 threshold character eating up my limited crew slots...

To confirm, I ended up 577 in the event. But please, I don’t want to bring up the painful memories of the “Mirror Crusher” and “Mirror Picard” fiasco... let’s let that sleeping dog lie...

va2ud3ijth92.jpeg

Trust issues? Definitely. I'm just trying to figure out how you ranked so much higher than me without clearing all those extra tickets. I mean, I grinded the hell out of them and didn't even come close to your rank. That was the event that made me HATE expedition events. I loved them until then too. I will never, never, never, never, never, never, never... NEVER... participate in one again after that mess. If DB was trying to kill expeditions, I say mission accomplished. Good riddance. Every time I see a Mirror Bev, I can't help but flip the bird at the screen.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    That’s kind of why I didn’t want to bring it up... it’s still a festering raw wound for many. But I don’t know what to say. I played it like any normal faction event hybrid and seeing my rank was OK, I didn’t spend any more time or resources buying extra tickets or use the bonus six tickets because I thought they would be useful when the next expedition event came around... to me, finishing 100 or 1000 is the same so I don’t bother with anything in between...

I do remember one of the nodes didn’t give the right bonus or something so I avoided it and used the Mirror Beverly I got from the pack to give max points on Epic nodes (which usually doesn’t happen as I don’t normally have the legendary event crew to use during the event) if that helps explain some of the variance...