Home The Bridge

This MEGA-Event hasn't been very mega... :(

edited April 2018 in The Bridge
From Enterprise (non-TOS) smiling / helmet head Surak, through Zero powerful true Romulan crew.

MEGA-EVENT? More like: It's a FAAAKE!!! (even he's only 2 skills - sort of lame).

I was sure a sorely neglected faction (The Romulans) were going to get a much needed shot in the arm - NOT!

Romulan Picard you say? He's not even a real Romulan!!!
“You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai

Comments

• DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Im cool with it, some of the events shouldnt have had replay characters. Being a tenured player, I already have Sela, Spock and Valeris already FF, it happens.

We have to remember that Timelines gets new players and everyone doesnt have the same crew you do.

I like Romulan Picard, TMP Spock, and Vreenak. Warship Tuvok is the only miss to me
  • Im cool with it, some of the events shouldnt have had replay characters. Being a tenured player, I already have Sela, Spock and Valeris already FF, it happens.

We have to remember that Timelines gets new players and everyone doesnt have the same crew you do.

I like Romulan Picard, TMP Spock, and Vreenak. Warship Tuvok is the only miss to me

Fair enough and I did like TMP / Kolinar Spock very much too.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
  • edited April 2018
    My week-by-week reactions:

Surak
    I'm of the mind that the ENT version was more appropriate than the TOS version, if only because his appearance in ENT had more substance and did a lot more with the character. I'm okay with the smile, particularly as it aligns with the game narrative of him rejecting the Vulcan rejection of emotion in his name. Skills and traits are all great, and I'm glad for all the players who didn't get Locutus of Borg who now finally have someone comparable to take into the Gauntlet. B+

Yeah just IMO but we already have Yarnek and Lincoln - Opportunity was knocking to get a nice / fun set going from Savage Curtain and add the TOS Surak now vs. the Enterprise version.

dkm9i3mqya3n.jpg
    xcmpj9nzqxa4.jpg
    xnnhl2vdfyhf.jpg
    qig8bha1i350.jpg

Just my opinion though.

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Father of Logic"
    I liked the concentration of TOS movie characters here. I didn't have any strong enthusiasm for any of the three, but I was glad to see Kolinahr Spock and Voyage Home Amanda added to the game. I ended up dismissing my 3/4 Amanda Grayson and didn't rank high enough to even get a 1/4 Katra McCoy, let alone a 1/5 Kolinahr Spock. I was mostly just happy for other players this week, because I know several of y'all were excited about them. B

"Breakthrough"
    No thematic cohesion comparable to "Father of Logic" here. Warship Tuvok didn't interest me and I already had Lieutenant Valeris immortalized, so I needed nothing out of the rank rewards. If I didn't already have Valeris, though, I'd have been stoked at the chance to get her. This was a Threshold & Out event for me, but I did really like those thresholds: 4* Vulcan Wedding T'Pol and 2* Science Officer T'Pol. B+

"Fire with Fire"
    Going into this mega-event, I wanted Commander Keras and Senator Vreenak, and here they both are! Easily my favorite week of the four. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about Romulan Kirk. I've had him a few times, but never kept him because he's notoriously irksome to equip and I only ever had him at 1/4 at any given time so it was unlikely I'd ever be able to freeze him. If I can swing a 4/4 at the end of this event, I'll gladly keep him this time, but if I fall short, it won't bother me. A

"Reunification"
    Just not feeling this one. I love "Unification", so I kinda want Romulan Picard on that basis, but not enough to commit to chasing him in the rank table. Despite my love of that episode, I still don't have Commander Sela, for the same reasons I don't have Romulan Kirk. Mintakan Troi does nothing for me. I'll be Threshold & Out again. Whichever 4/4 that leaves me with is surely headed to the freezer. So far, the Existing Crew have all been in the rank table, which would put Troi in the thresholds. Disappointingly, she won't help me with The Neutral Zone collection. D

Surak
    I'm of the mind that the ENT version was more appropriate than the TOS version, if only because his appearance in ENT had more substance and did a lot more with the character. I'm okay with the smile, particularly as it aligns with the game narrative of him rejecting the Vulcan rejection of emotion in his name. Skills and traits are all great, and I'm glad for all the players who didn't get Locutus of Borg who now finally have someone comparable to take into the Gauntlet. B+

Interesting to read your reactions. I am of the same mind in a few of your preferences, but differ on a number of others...

I was very glad to see Amanda Grayson and have her be the original version! Even though she's freezer-bound, I was happy to get her in my roster. Kolinahr Spock was cool, too. And I ended up keeping and immortalizing a 2nd copy of Katra McCoy.

Warship Tuvok and Vulcan Wedding T'Pol were both well-done artwork, and I quite like both of the characters, so I was also happy to add them to my lineup, even though, again, they're not particularly powerful (Tuvok would be if I had him FF, but at 2 stars, he's pretty low in my skill ranks). I had Valeris immortalized before the event, and though I kept another 4/4 copy of her, I think I'll space her soon, since I don't really think a dupe will be useful.

Keras is great to have in the game, just because it's a Mark Lenard character. Other than that, I don't really have any desire to get more Romulans in my roster. Vreenak is the very definition of "meh" for me, so I'm doing the bare minimum this weekend. (I had Rom Kirk immortalized, and he's one of my favorite Kirks, but didn't need to get any more copies of him.)

Romulan Picard would make a nice pairing with my Romulan Data — and I have been trying to acquire all the Picards that I can (still have several left to get) — so I'll at least buy a pack or two to try to get him. Minty Troi — aka "Bad Haircut Troi" (seriously, do the Mintakans not have anyone who is able to cut their bangs straight?) — does not interest me, however. And I spaced my Sela some months back, as I realized she was more trouble than she was worth to level. So I doubt I'll play much of the event beyond the thresholds — especially considering that I went all-in on the last Galaxy.

As for Surak — I would have preferred the TOS version simply because I wasn't familiar with him from ENT, but he's grown on me. And I guess he's been useful in Gauntlet and Voyages, so far be it for me to look a gift Vulcan in the mouth.

Overall, this mega has been just "okay", imo. As I'm not a huge DS9 fan, I can't say that there will likely be a lot more interest from me regarding the summer mega, either — but then I just started re-watching DS9 on Amazon Prime (and realized that there must have been a lot of episodes that I never saw when it first aired), so maybe I'll suddenly become a superfan and be champing at the bit by the time summer rolls around. o:)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

Surak

Yeah just IMO but we already have Yarnek and Lincoln - Opportunity was knocking to get a nice / fun set going from Savage Curtain and add the TOS Surak now vs. the Enterprise version.

dkm9i3mqya3n.jpg
    xcmpj9nzqxa4.jpg
    xnnhl2vdfyhf.jpg
    qig8bha1i350.jpg

Just my opinion though.

Fair, though we got the TNG version of Kahless. What would bring balance and complete the set, though, would be Genghis Khan!

CMD, SEC
    Brutal, Cultural Figure, Human, Tactician, Veteran, Villain
  • My week-by-week reactions:

Surak

dkm9i3mqya3n.jpg
    xcmpj9nzqxa4.jpg
    xnnhl2vdfyhf.jpg
    qig8bha1i350.jpg

Just my opinion though.

Fair, though we got the TNG version of Kahless. What would bring balance and complete the set, though, would be Genghis Khan!

CMD, SEC
    Brutal, Cultural Figure, Human, Tactician, Veteran, Villain

Love it! <3
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Col. Green and Zora would be fun additions. Then I'll really want Lincoln!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im cool with it, some of the events shouldnt have had replay characters. Being a tenured player, I already have Sela, Spock and Valeris already FF, it happens.

Agreed, but the rerun crew need to have good stats. Sela and Valeris are of limited use.
    Let’s fly!
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly pleased with this event so far. The art of the characters has been quite good. 2x T'pol, Vreenak's sound clip and warship tuvok' evil smile were all great!

I'm only slightly disappointed Archer is again absent. But I'm confident he'll show up eventually ;-)
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Romulan event would have been really nice to have had.....well, more than 2 REAL Romulans and oh ya, how about a Romulan ship.........
    b4f1gmv8q7cy.jpg
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Antasil wrote: »
    I'm fairly pleased with this event so far. The art of the characters has been quite good. 2x T'pol, Vreenak's sound clip and warship tuvok' evil smile were all great!

I'm only slightly disappointed Archer is again absent. But I'm confident he'll show up eventually ;-)

Vreenak is cool B) however I hoping for a good 3 skill authentic Romulan (hoping for more cannon Romulans in general from this Mega).
  • Romulan event would have been really nice to have had.....well, more than 2 REAL Romulans and oh ya, how about a Romulan ship.........
    b4f1gmv8q7cy.jpg

Yeah, we got the Enterprise Vulcan ship and an Enterprise Vulcan Legendary.
  • MirrorMartiganMirrorMartigan ✭✭✭✭
    To me, this event seriously lacked Romulans. If it was marketed as a Vulcan\Romulan event, I wouldn't be as disappointed. I am glad to have every version of the GREAT Mark Leonard in the game though, as he was always one of my favorite actors growing up.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, this event seriously lacked Romulans. If it was marketed as a Vulcan\Romulan event, I wouldn't be as disappointed.

It was specifically called "Vulcan and Romulan" so I guess it depends on how you define that slash.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Yeah, we got the Enterprise Vulcan ship and an Enterprise Vulcan Legendary.

....and still no Jonathan Archer Event lol.

but on a more serious note this mega event was a missd opportunity to add more Romulans in the game IMO too.

My highlights are Surak and Valeris, had to airlock Grayson and I am trying to hold on to the Romulan Commander but he too may have to face the airlock.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • MirrorMartiganMirrorMartigan ✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    To me, this event seriously lacked Romulans. If it was marketed as a Vulcan\Romulan event, I wouldn't be as disappointed.

It was specifically called "Vulcan and Romulan" so I guess it depends on how you define that slash.

When I first heard of the event, it was marketed as a Romulan Event, not both. The first faction event focused on Federation missions, nothing for Romulans. No new Romulan crew until half way through. To me, and this is my opinion, it's been a Vulcan Federation event.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first heard of the event, it was marketed as a Romulan Event, not both.

There was a lot of player speculation of a Romulan mega event, based in part on Romulans being absent from the mega event poll. The official announcement on the other hand specifically calls it Vulcan and Romulan.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping DB will have a romulan event in a few weeks will all Romulans with good stats.
    Let’s fly!
  • I am hoping DB will have a romulan event in a few weeks will all Romulans with good stats.

We can dare to dream.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

Specifically, as I recall, Vulcans were mentioned 7 times and Romulans 4 times in the event announcement. I would have liked to see more Romulans as well, but having two races represented somewhat alleviated the problem in the Klingon mega (and to a lesser extent the Borg and Mirror megas) of all the new characters competing for the same faction items.
  • Elynduil wrote: »

dkm9i3mqya3n.jpg

Is the episode title a reference to Surak's outfit here?

uv5zwnj7yb1m.jpg

Why yes, it's fairly Savage alright.
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall I'm pretty happy with this mega. For repeat crew, it gave me a reason the level my 1/4 Katra McCoy, my 2/4 Valeris, amd my 1/4 Romulan Kirk. I got all threw of those immortalized and I will get a 4/4 Sela (new to me) this week to work on.

I'm happy with Surak, and my 2/5 Kolinahr Spock. Based on my chron stockpile, I will finish top 1k for Romulan Picard.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bit of a lame romulan event with only a couple of new romulans. Now I hope fake romulan Picard will have three skills
    DB: Do Better
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Elynduil wrote: »

dkm9i3mqya3n.jpg

Haha — that makes me think of that scene from the old Carol Burnett show where they spoofed Gone With The Wind, and Carol made a dress from the curtains but left the curtain rod in place.

6diberzy2lyj.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Elynduil wrote: »

dkm9i3mqya3n.jpg

Haha — that makes me think of that scene from the old Carol Burnett show where they spoofed Gone With The Wind, and Carol made a dress from the curtains but left the curtain rod in place.

6diberzy2lyj.gif

How weird is that.. I was just watching that on one of the Retro TV stations with my wife last night.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall I'm pretty happy with this mega. For repeat crew, it gave me a reason the level my 1/4 Katra McCoy, my 2/4 Valeris, amd my 1/4 Romulan Kirk. I got all threw of those immortalized and I will get a 4/4 Sela (new to me) this week to work on.

I'm happy with Surak, and my 2/5 Kolinahr Spock. Based on my chron stockpile, I will finish top 1k for Romulan Picard.

Just curious, what is your chron stockpile? How many chrons do people think would be needed to top 1k in a Hybrid event assuming you are top 1k after the shuttle portion?