Options

Kelvin Timeline

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clanof wrote: »
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I don't think it was. The 2 star version of Scotty is clearly Simon Pegg.

You need glasses.

You're right, I just looked up images of Doohan and Pegg, the avatar does more closely resemble Doohan, although it doesn't particularly look like either of them.

Doohan aged quite dramatically. However, looking for TOS era pics shows that in this case the art is actually pretty close. (Which I know is unexpected with DB)

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/db_articles/bd282ad767baba983f4bce4d602547306e7712aa.jpg

Though I guess there is some similarity to Pegg.. I mean they are wearing the same color shirt...
  • Options
    And whitewashing? WTF? What is whitewashing gotta do with the movies?
    Whitewashing is used to refer to the practice of casting caucasion actors in roles that were of other ethnicities in the source material.

Which in this instance appears to cover casting an anglo-saxon actor to play a character with an asian name who was originally played by a Mexican-born actor of Spanish descent.
  • Options
    SpyOne wrote: »
    Whitewashing is used to refer to the practice of casting caucasion actors in roles that were of other ethnicities in the source material.

Which in this instance appears to cover casting an anglo-saxon actor to play a character with an asian name who was originally played by a Mexican-born actor of Spanish descent.

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    only a truly racist person sees everything as a race issue! Everytime you see white, you cry racism...We're talking about a movie...SURPRISE! RACISM!

WOW, I just realized something! The earlier version of the forum was dark coloured, NOW IT'S WHITE! DB is whitewashing!
    :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭

And it's a ridiculous thing to be offended by. Who cares if Khan is white instead of Latin? It in no way impacts his character, which is defined by his status as an augment, not his race.
  • Options
    I always thought part of what was cool about TOS was the anglo-looking guys with hispanic names and Ricardo Montelban as someone non-hispanic.

It is something sadly scarce in later Trek, where everyone with an identifyable ethnicity or culture has a name reflective of that ethnicity or culture*. Most of the people with a name that points to a national origin, like Rozhenko or O'Brien, have an accent to match. And with the exception of Molly O'Brien anyone who looks asian has an asian name.
    Where are the Juan Epstiens in the 24th century? Where are the black 6th generation Scots? Where are the people who are culturally Japanese but ethnically norse? Or vice-versa?

* - Except for Dr Bashir, who was functionally English. I liked that, too.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    I always thought part of what was cool about TOS was the anglo-looking guys with hispanic names and Ricardo Montelban as someone non-hispanic.

It is something sadly scarce in later Trek, where everyone with an identifyable ethnicity or culture has a name reflective of that ethnicity or culture*. Most of the people with a name that points to a national origin, like Rozhenko or O'Brien, have an accent to match. And with the exception of Molly O'Brien anyone who looks asian has an asian name.
    Where are the Juan Epstiens in the 24th century? Where are the black 6th generation Scots? Where are the people who are culturally Japanese but ethnically norse? Or vice-versa?

Kim is a Korean name but the actor is clearly Chinese, so there's that. But that's mitigated by the fact that I read somewhere that the writers actually meant for him to be Chinese and didn't know Kim was a Korean name.
  • Options
    SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer the 3 JJ Star Trek. They are amazing! And when they get the rights, one of the 5* chars should absolutely be the Beastie Boys!

Urgh.. that scene in Beyond was awful. Taken straight from the Yodelling in Mars Attacks! and ruined the film for me. Sure I like the song but don't cram it in for the sake of it, and don't make it an element of the plot!

You know the concept of a grower? Well the reboots are like the opposite of that - fun at first but on looking back you realise how cheesy and vacuous they are. "Lightning storm in space"? Jeez.

Characters like Nero, Krall and Admiral Marcus maybe have their charm, but in general not a fan of bringing them into the game.
  • Options
    SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭

And it's a ridiculous thing to be offended by. Who cares if Khan is white instead of Latin? It in no way impacts his character, which is defined by his status as an augment, not his race.

People also had an issue with them casting an American-Korean actor in place of and American-Japanese one in Sulu.

For some films whitewashing might be a problem. In the case of Trek it's kind of a daft thing to complain about. Its reasonable to assume by the 23rd century ethnicity and national identity should basically be blurred and family names might not map perfectly to some perceived ethnicity. You may as well be offended that every single human character isn't mixed race (which would be more valid but i think a certain amount of suspension of disbelief should be taken). In my opinion just cast the best actor for the role.
  • Options
    Ricard Daystrom Ricard Daystrom ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I don't like Cumberbatch as Khan because of the poor writing. Ricardo Montalban just had better acting and writing.

I do agree that more TAS should be in the game. Im recently watching it and it's great!
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• Options
    No Kelvin.

People like familiarity, and the Original Timeline, with its series which mostly stay within (there are some glaring plot holes and episode clunkers) that Timeline.

Blowing up Vulcan and Romulus at the what is the beginning of TOS-TNG-DS9-VOY timeline casually throws out all of that built up universe and THAT is what drives people up the wall.

• Options
    Kim is a Korean name but the actor is clearly Chinese, so there's that. But that's mitigated by the fact that I read somewhere that the writers actually meant for him to be Chinese and didn't know Kim was a Korean name.
    In a letter to my Mother I told her sbout the movie Showdown In Little Tokyo, and mentioned that one of the nice things about it is that most of the bad guys, who are supposed to be Japanese, are played by actors who are Japanese.
    "But this is still Hollywood, so the hero who is supposed to be Japanese is played by an actor whose parents were caucasian and Chinese, and the Japanese love interest is played by a fillipina from Hawaii."

Side note: I recommend the movie. It is a buddy picture starring Dolph Lundgren and Brandon Lee. They are cops assigned to a district filled with Japanese immigrants: one because he was raised in Japan and has a deep respect for their culture and traditions, one because he happens to look Japanese and had a Japanese name.
    "Don't you know anything about your culture?"
    "Hey! I'm from the valley. I know about malls."
  • Options
    No Kelvin.

People like familiarity, and the Original Timeline, with its series which mostly stay within (there are some glaring plot holes and episode clunkers) that Timeline.

Blowing up Vulcan and Romulus at the what is the beginning of TOS-TNG-DS9-VOY timeline casually throws out all of that built up universe and THAT is what drives people up the wall.

That part doesn't bother me. What gets on my nerves is the mindless action in Kelvin. It seems to lack the optimism and the mind over brute strength that runs through the other movies and series's.

It's kind of funny, I think JJ made some great movies, I just wish the star trek name wasn't associated with them.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that he was supposed to be South Asian... so both castings were off... although I do prefer Montalban’s portrayal better.

You mean like Philippe Georgiou instead of Han Bo (Yeoh’s character still listed as the original Han Bo on Imbd). Have no idea why they changed it. Makes no sense given the actor and the name of the ship (Shenzhou... same as China’s rocket program) but fits your criteria of name not fitting an identifiable race.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭

Except that he was supposed to be South Asian... so both castings were off... although I do prefer Montalban’s portrayal better.

Was he actually? Obviously the name is South Asian, but I never heard any references to his ethnic origin (but it's been a long time since I've seen Space Seed or TWOK so I might just not remember). I was figuring it was one of those circumstances the OP liked where everyone is all mishmashed by the 23rd century so they might have names that we associate with one culture today but the character is actually a different ethnicity from what we would assume that name would imply.
  • Options
    I suppose that I need to mention here that I haven't seen any of the Kelvin-universe movies. I bought the first one on dvd, but so far I haven't been able to talk myself into watching it.
    I'm pretty sure that watching it will make me angry, and I'm just not interested in that experience.

I've seen a lot of people complain that the Kelvin-universe films are action films. That seems to be true. But all the TNG films were action films, too.
    I've seen a reviewer suggest that the TNG films seem to take place in an alternate universe where Picard was and action movie hero instead of the socratic problem solver he was on the show, as this would explain inconsistencies in his behavior between the two milieu.
    I don't go that far. I just say that even the "good" TNG films weren't very good, and apparently trying to make them action movies was a big part if the problem.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    I suppose that I need to mention here that I haven't seen any of the Kelvin-universe movies. I bought the first one on dvd, but so far I haven't been able to talk myself into watching it.
    I'm pretty sure that watching it will make me angry, and I'm just not interested in that experience.

I've seen a lot of people complain that the Kelvin-universe films are action films. That seems to be true. But all the TNG films were action films, too.
    I've seen a reviewer suggest that the TNG films seem to take place in an alternate universe where Picard was and action movie hero instead of the socratic problem solver he was on the show, as this would explain inconsistencies in his behavior between the two milieu.
    I don't go that far. I just say that even the "good" TNG films weren't very good, and apparently trying to make them action movies was a big part if the problem.

I'll agree that the TNG movies were a lot more action that you would expect from TNG, and with the exception of Nemesis they weren't that good. But Nemesis showed us a lot about Romulan politics which was very interesting since that was never explored previously and I had always wanted a closer look into Romulan society after just getting glimpses here and there in TNG and DS9.

The Kelvin movies are actually pretty good action movies, but they're garbage Trek, there are really no redeeming qualities there that could draw you into anything more interesting (and when they try to like in Beyond it falls very flat). So far they don't even have "well at least they have that one movie X that's pretty good" like the TNG movies do with Nemesis.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Was he actually? Obviously the name is South Asian, but I never heard any references to his ethnic origin (but it's been a long time since I've seen Space Seed or TWOK so I might just not remember). I was figuring it was one of those circumstances the OP liked where everyone is all mishmashed by the 23rd century so they might have names that we associate with one culture today but the character is actually a different ethnicity from what we would assume that name would imply.
    Not sure whether or not the books are canon, but in "The Eugenics Wars" (Khan's backstory, and I highly recommend reading the two-book series) his mother is Indian, impregnated with a hybrid/augmented line. So he probably has some South-Asian genetic tendencies, and is then brought up by his Indian family. His eventual base is also in India, so I suspect he identifies himself that way. This incidentally occurs over the 1980's-2000's, so the names are what you'd expect them to be, ethnic-wise.
    ...So far they don't even have "well at least they have that one movie X that's pretty good" like the TNG movies do with Nemesis.
    You didn't like First Contact?
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far they don't even have "well at least they have that one movie X that's pretty good" like the TNG movies do with Nemesis.

I don't remember Nemesis being regarded as "pretty good."

• Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    So far they don't even have "well at least they have that one movie X that's pretty good" like the TNG movies do with Nemesis.

I don't remember Nemesis being regarded as "pretty good."

It is by me :)
  • Options
    jirw6ynqucio.jpeg

ux3r39b2gxtb.gif

ozu5rrseuvgq.jpg

5pzxyhlkljgi.gif
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Only the novels state that he is a Sikh and with Indian parentage.
    He did however, according to Space Seed, rule over most of Asia and the Middle East.
    \
  • Options

He did however, according to Space Seed, rule over most of Asia and the Middle East.
    \

Actually in "Space Seed" McGivers comments that he's "probably a Sikh "
  • Options

\

Actually in "Space Seed" McGivers comments that he's "probably a Sikh "

Having just rewatched the episode, I can verify.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Interesting. In that case you really can't call Cumberbatch's casting whitewashing unless you're also going to call Montalban's casting latinwashing or something equally ridiculous.
  • Options
    Interesting. In that case you really can't call Cumberbatch's casting whitewashing unless you're also going to call Montalban's casting latinwashing or something equally ridiculous.

WRONG! It's ok as long as it's not white!
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I actually just watched the episode prior to this thread. Without going back and directly quoting, Khan was the last of the great augments controlling Asia and Middle East controlling a quarter of a humanity... mind you it was supposed to be in 1993 or something which is like 25 years ago... 🙂

EDIT: I see many people afterwards came to a similar conclusion...
  • Options
    I am ambivalent somewhat about including those movies. But I would pay big moolah to get Pine Kirk. Plus having characters like Gaila, Nero, and Jaylah would be cool. Although the destruction of Romulus and Vulcan have always bugged me.

Not my beautiful Romulus!!!

It should be noted that Romulus was destroyed in the Prime timeline sometime in the late 24th century and not in the Kelvin timeline. That was the entire reason Nero was in and created the Kelvin timeline. He felt the Federation and Vulcan response was too slow and blamed Spock. He destroyed Vulcan and was going to destroy Earth because he wanted revenge.

Prime timeline: no Romulus in the 24th century.
    Kelvin timeline: no Vulcan in the 23rd century.
    They say time is the fire in which we burn.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    According to Star Trek logic there is no prime timeline anymore, hence Nero's temporal incursion in the first place. Of course since those movies are terrible I'll just ignore them and say they never happened and therefore there is no Kelvin timeline.
  • Options
    what people fail to understand is that we have come to the end of the road for new Star Trek ideas. It already spans 2 centuries and different settings. Therefore you can either make a prequel (like ENT or DIS), and honestly prequels kinda **tsk tsk**. It's like reading the end of the book first... Yeah, it's nice knowing how they got there, but the imagination is kinda shot.

But, fetishist are gonna fetish!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    what people fail to understand is that we have come to the end of the road for new Star Trek ideas. It already spans 2 centuries and different settings. Therefore you can either make a prequel (like ENT or DIS), and honestly prequels kinda ****. It's like reading the end of the book first... Yeah, it's nice knowing how they got there, but the imagination is kinda shot.

But, fetishist are gonna fetish!

The nothing new under the sun argument is as old, and in this case as irrelevant as Solomon. Seeing the vast number of ideas that have been explored in novels, fan fiction, hell in parody show that this is completely false with one caveat--- new blood was needed as Braga was out of ideas midway through Voyager. But it could have been new blood that had respect for what came before. Watch JJs interview on the Daily Show a few years back.

Get someone who actually LIKED the source material and you'd have had a different result. And it would not have to have been an EP VIII (essentially a rerun because JJ was too scared of messing with Star Wars source material since he was a HUUUGE SW fan--- or would that be fetishist, lol).