Home The Bridge

Quit asking for crew slots

Comments

• JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    If you use all your resources every week yes you will have 100 legendaries with one star. If you use my method you will have 10 legendaries with 5 stars.

Yups, making choices, being picky about which events to attack makes a huge difference. Also considering resources in general. Cause when you (try to) attack every event full steam numerous bottlenecks (boosts, chrons, equipment etc.) are the consequence.

Also I would not rule out the possibility that we get a class above legendaries at one point. So having resources in the backhand can never hurt...

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am making constructive suggestions, you’re just not listening as I knew you wouldn’t. I have no fear of sharing my tips here because I know you all will keep doing what you’re doing and keep racking up 1/5’s
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I am making constructive suggestions, you’re just not listening as I knew you wouldn’t. I have no fear of sharing my tips here because I know you all will keep doing what you’re doing and keep racking up 1/5’s

Roughly/average how many chrons would you need to finish high enough to get a 2* or a 3* version of the legendary would you say for a galaxy event ?
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    -60 FE crew that need anywhere from 1-4 stars to be complete or are inmortalized but in danger of being thrown in the freezer due to power creep; some of these may get usage in events due to bonuses (1/5* Admiral Kirk, immortalized Rakal Troi, and Ambassador Sarek, for example) or on shuttles if I’ve used up all of my best crew for a skill on a voyage (Commander Kelby is one of these).

This is why I have trouble understanding the more crew slot argument. Carrying dead weight like Kelby around. He's entirely unremarkable as a crew. The only positive thing he does he can do from the Vault. And he's by no means the only 4* (or even 5*) like that.

Just be merciless with your crew. If its a weak 1/5*, turf it. If its a subpar 4*, hold your nose, pay the honour and vault it. Stop worrying about fractional advantages. If you think you can maintain something for a period of time, go for it but be prepared to get rid of it later if needed. I've had a 2/4 Vic Fontaine for awhile now. My patience is being rewarded next week but there's been a a few times where I wished I didn't.

VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
    If you use all your resources every week yes you will have 100 legendaries with one star. If you use my method you will have 10 legendaries with 5 stars.

Yups, making choices, being picky about which events to attack makes a huge difference. Also considering resources in general. Cause when you (try to) attack every event full steam numerous bottlenecks (boosts, chrons, equipment etc.) are the consequence.

Also I would not rule out the possibility that we get a class above legendaries at one point. So having resources in the backhand can never hurt...

100% correct

• ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collect cards, then do stuff

versus

Do stuff and collect cards

versus

Find a balance that makes you happy.

🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    Collect cards, then do stuff

versus

Do stuff and collect cards

versus

Find a balance that makes you happy.

🖖🏻

That is a proper and just attitude

Ivanstone wrote: »
    -60 FE crew that need anywhere from 1-4 stars to be complete or are inmortalized but in danger of being thrown in the freezer due to power creep; some of these may get usage in events due to bonuses (1/5* Admiral Kirk, immortalized Rakal Troi, and Ambassador Sarek, for example) or on shuttles if I’ve used up all of my best crew for a skill on a voyage (Commander Kelby is one of these).

This is why I have trouble understanding the more crew slot argument. Carrying dead weight like Kelby around. He's entirely unremarkable as a crew. The only positive thing he does he can do from the Vault. And he's by no means the only 4* (or even 5*) like that.

Just be merciless with your crew. If its a weak 1/5*, turf it. If its a subpar 4*, hold your nose, pay the honour and vault it. Stop worrying about fractional advantages. If you think you can maintain something for a period of time, go for it but be prepared to get rid of it later if needed. I've had a 2/4 Vic Fontaine for awhile now. My patience is being rewarded next week but there's been a a few times where I wished I didn't.

Same here. Using crew slots on useless crew is not my gig

edited May 2018

Roughly/average how many chrons would you need to finish high enough to get a 2* or a 3* version of the legendary would you say for a galaxy event ?

It’s always different according to how desirable that crew is. You never can tell but it’s always fun finding out.

• Banjo, the suggestion of accumulating absurd amounts of Chronotons in order to get a fused up character is a good suggestion. Just keep in mind very few people are able to do this in an event. What does it take for a 2/5* rank 25-14? So great suggestion, but not necessarily a viable solution for the player base at large. And at the highest levels you run into people that have not only saved up loads chrons but are also buying them up during the event. So thanks for the tip it’s a great one, but I wouldn’t consider this a solution.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭

@Banjo1012 I’m not understanding the animosity directed at you here. Choosing which event to direct focus on is the best way to achieve something other than a 1/5* roster of crew. Whether or not you spend the alleged “obscene” amounts of money is all relative to how much money you have. I for one would like to thank you if you do spend a lot on the game, because ultimately that will improve the game for everyone. Lack of respect and vitriolic jealousy isn’t something I thought I’d encounter around this game, evidently I was wrong!
  • [S14] Bri wrote: »

@Banjo1012 I’m not understanding the animosity directed at you here. Choosing which event to direct focus on is the best way to achieve something other than a 1/5* roster of crew. Whether or not you spend the alleged “obscene” amounts of money is all relative to how much money you have. I for one would like to thank you if you do spend a lot on the game, because ultimately that will improve the game for everyone. Lack of respect and vitriolic jealousy isn’t something I thought I’d encounter around this game, evidently I was wrong!

Oh I agree i never considered this tactic before, so its worth putting it out there for everyone to think about but its a bit too long game for me but i can definitely see me saving up all the chrons and sorrychronos through the mail for a large period of time and doing this say once a year. For the record im looking for a half price sale not just free slots and since we are nearly half way through the year i dont think its too much to ask for.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t y’all just manage it better?ro8lgawkbozy.jpeg
    People were mad at you Banjo because your first message was not helpful tips but bragging. While the bragging is annoying, you spending lots of money shouldnt be. The whales keep the game we love going. Saving chrons for weeks to get high in an event will definitely help but I do not believe it will net you a top 10 finish and lots of extra copies of the legendary. The scores for the top 10 are insanely high. People are buying huge numbers of chronitons and buying up tons of event packs before the event to have the best crew to get lots of turn in rewards. Even breaking top 25 in a galaxy or a hybrid faction/galaxy is insanely difficult. I have done events and spent over 12,000 chrons, and some dilithium and had the best event crew and still only gotten top 50. I am not saying that it isnt possible to be done without spending lots of dilithium but it is extremely difficult and as you are trying for top rewards it is not a replicable process when only a few can get them.
    Let’s fly!
    My initial post was meant to show you can build a good crew without having to buy slots. Subsequent posts were meant to show how. You can accrue 1000 chrons a day through Voyages, 200 on M-W-F, 50 a day through dailies, and 90 per days with recharge. That is well over 8500 per week. My advice is my advice. Take it or leave it I could care less either way. Those who did not come at me, thank you.
    Oh and as for factions, if you purchase 24 extra cadet runs on Thursdays, you can build enough time boosts to run every single mission at 1:30. Takes about 140 for a 4 day event. Running twice as many missions will do a ton for your rank and it doesn’t make much difference for success/failure. You can fail 1/4 at 80% just the same as at 65%
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »

I have used Kelby sparingly since immortalizing him. If I have a voyage where ENG is the primary skill (taking away RAF O’Brien, Mirror Geordi, 2/5* Banjoman, Niners Rom, Grand Nagus Rom, Human Q, Professor Scott, AoS La Forge, Tuskegee Mayweather, and others), then Kelby is all I have left in case any ENG slots come up - and no, I don’t feel the need to throw away merits on extra transmissions to make up for those left to time out.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and as for factions, if you purchase 24 extra cadet runs on Thursdays, you can build enough time boosts to run every single mission at 1:30. Takes about 140 for a 4 day event. Running twice as many missions will do a ton for your rank and it doesn’t make much difference for success/failure. You can fail 1/4 at 80% just the same as at 65%

But then instead of waking up every three hours, you get to wake every 90 minutes for four nights in a row! Oh, the humanity! ;)
    Magisse wrote: »

But then instead of waking up every three hours, you get to wake every 90 minutes for four nights in a row! Oh, the humanity! ;)

Ha! Yes. But I am the kind of person who wakes up randomly at night so when I go to bed I use 5* skill boosts and stay at 3 hours. Way more often then not I’ll randomly wake up, reset them, then fall back asleep. 9 hour boosts only give you double rewards. It should be triple but those are not my rules
    Side note, don’t buy more than 24 extra cadet missions on Thursday. Any more than that will exceed the cost of simply buying 6 standard boost pulls
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money, money money, all that money
    edited May 2018
    You just hit it on the head. Some play it as a card collecting game. I do not. My goal is to win events. I do have minor goals. My two right now are hitting Captain Level 70 and hitting a 10 hour voyage, but my ultimate goal is to win events. I based my style of play on that while others have based it on card collecting. I have been playing for over two years so I have actually put work and dedication into it as well. Y’all can focus on the money aspect if you want but I have also put time and effort into this too. Strategy as well as I have shown
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    Unless your crew solely consists of immortalized legendary characters, even 30-35 crew isn’t going to cut it.
    See there’s where you’re mistaken. I have 39 immortalized legendaries and they are all I need for every voyage and every shuttle.

Talking past each other, lol.

The only thing I would add to this discussion is that the more total crew gets added, the more difficult it will become to draw the right one to finish it off. As such, people who have been playing for 2+ years would have had a fundamentally different experience from those who started less than a year ago, because they have been dealing with very different draw pools at equal stages of account development.

It's all good and well to advise choosing the crew members you want to finally be left with, and focusing solely on them, but in the meantime, you still need some crew to actually play with. And if a less-desired crew member could be the stronger option in the medium term, while the more-desired crew member (half-finished with no readily available option to finish him soon) is on the backburner, do you just trash the former anyway and limit your capabilities? Or do you trash the latter until you find the unlikely way to get it FF instantly? You can surely understand that either of these two options are relatively unpalatable to most players. A game shouldn't put you between a rock and a hard place (at least, not constantly).

I don't see how ranking top 25 in events can be useful advice for the player base as a whole, either. Those ranks, by their very nature and design, cannot accommodate enough players to even make a dent. Not to mention to the majority of those ranks give 2/5, a far cry from 5/5.

At the end of the day, most players' idea of "which crew is best for me" is based in no small part on "which crew can I get more copies of?" Since the design of the game makes the latter unknown until it happens, you do need to keep your options open to some extent. Yes, once you're already at 40 legendary immortals, your choices become a lot easier. 18 months ago, your choices were a lot easier too. But the majority of the player base have neither of those luxuries.
    Honor and DYC help when you don’t finish first place.
    I was questioned, doubted and told that the position I am in is unattainable. I laid out exactly how I attained it. If you’re goal is to chase over 500 crew, consider getting them a victory. I consider winning an event the victory. You see, we can all win here. This game is cool because people can have different goals and we can all consider ourselves winners when we reach them
  • So it's apparently true that a VIP0 won a Galaxy Event, on at least one occasion. But how many months were spent prepping for that single event?

For those on a budget (or no budget), that's accomplished by effectively not collecting cards or generally improving a crew. Basically, not playing the day to day game outside of daily missions to pick one event months down the line to be potentially competitive at. I suppose you can try to manage your chrons by using spreadsheets to find likely resources to farm, but most people are just stacking chrons from voyages and cadet missions, missing out on regular chrons too.

It's also far less likely for VIP0 to win a shuttle event, since that requires a deeper crew and a wealth of rare timer boosts.

Either way, that's strategy.

It's also not a realistic goal for most players who are playing a casual mobile game.

But I am in total agreement that if I had 30+ FF Legendaries, I'd be less likely to care who I was airlocking, card collecting goals or not. Most new crew already don't substantially improve on the crew I have.

I'd also probably be interested in FTM achievements and winning events. This approach to the game is predicated on spending habits and is mostly not possible without spending big. This is why people are pushing back and focusing on the money - that's the basis of your strategy.

Again, I'm not trying to shame your spending habits or that of anyone. It's great you can spend money like that and value the game in that manner - somebody has to in order to keep the servers running. I also have no problem with spenders talking about their game play experience. It's not your spending habits or strategy that are the problem with your posts, it's the obliviousness and general lack of empathy and understanding.

I can't remember Leithold's (sp?) sig verbatim, but you go ahead and use your money, I and most of the rest of the player base will rely on our talent. Have a wonderful day.
    Ouch! I put my tail between my legs and flee. I see I have offended the positive and caring group that is the people of this forum so I will go back to the darkness from which I came in shame and embarrassment. But please don’t stop sending me the 8 page in game messages about how great it would be if I joined your fleet. I love those because they negate the hostility I was shown here. Good night all and I guess I won’t see you on the top of the leaderboards
This discussion has been closed.