Home The Bridge
Options

I was so excited for a Discovery event

I know a lot of players have been vocally opposed to DB's inclusion of Discovery as a mega-event because it's so new, but I was genuinely excited about it. And I know I was also vocally opposed to the previous mega-events because they were monotonous, boring, and gave away better 5* crew than ones I've paid $100+ for. But I was all ready to go all-in on this new event.

Until I saw the crew.

Issue #1: T'Kuvma. Why is he Security/Command? He's a religious leader who united all the Klingon great houses. Shouldn't there be some Diplomacy in there? And Security and Command are the two skills we've already been given in past mega-events.

Issue #2: The artwork. Who is the actor playing Georgiou? It looks like the same guy who played DB's Captain Nog. It certainly doesn't look like the actor from the TV series. And it looks like Saru was drawn by the same person who drew Lwaxana Troi and the Borg Queen. What happened to the arms?

Issue #3: Uncommon Janeway. Same hairstyle and same season as the 4* Janeway. Can one identical crew member have two different rarities? Also, why didn't they just use the 2* Saru for the threshold in this event? Are they worried people won't know it's a mega-event if there aren't enough Janeways?

I was ready to spend some money on this event. Now the only excitement remaining is the joy of realizing that I get the next month off from events.

Comments

• Options
    4* Janeway should just be replaced with Honor points. For a long while she was one of the most common 4* in game. Also she's already one of the characters watering down the Starfleet Brass pack. Not sure what the thought process was on her.
    eXo | Z•A•P•P
  • Options
    Oddly enough, I've never come across her.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    I'm just taking this as a good sign that the event won't be spoiled in the end by an out of nowhere Janeway.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, I've never come across her.

I got my first and only just a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Told my Squad I could lead since I’ll spend 25$ on Kuvma 100% sure.

I lied
  • Options
    garnergarner ✭✭✭
    T’Kuvma stats are underwhelming, and he definitely should have DIP, I was expecting him to be DIP primary. But 1096 base for FFFE is pretty meh.

FO Saru stats are great, though the art is really odd. And it is odd that he has almost as many variants as episodes he has appeared in.

Janeway, 4* inclusion I am totally fine with as I only started playing in March so have not come across her, and her stats are pretty good for an older purple. Though I was surprised that she is rank and Saru is threshold, which usually means that on Sunday, she will be the Commander pack, probably won't be a big earner for DB.

Janeway, 2*, well that is just odd. Sure Captain Janeway should be the 2* to be consistent with Kirk, Archer & Picard (oddly not Sisko as well). But why is that the threshold and not the 2* Saru that for a lot of players they would only have 1/2 from the free one. I have gotten another 2 from voyages.

Presumably there will be other Discovery crew 2* and 3*, I was expecting someone like Milly to drop as 2* for this event.

I have bought one pack and gotten Saru, so will probably end up airlocking one or not need to go all the way to the end of threshold to FF. Now to decide whether to pull again to try and get Janeway or even better Georgiou.
  • Options
    Not as excited about this event as I was for the Borg event, but I am happier than I was for the Klingon event. I will hold final judgment until the event ends. Kuvma is a disappointing Legendary, but I will not complain too much about an easily received 4/5 crew. Looking forward to seeing all the new Discovery crew being added.
  • Options
    They set the bar high with the queen and Kotar. Of course no one can complain about a free 4/5.

For me it’s just a set on 4 ordinary events. Definitely not a MEGA event. T’Kuvma stats and most importantly not having DIP is a real travesty. He reunited all the houses of Klingons. Anybody whatches watches Star Trek at all at DB HQ?

This failed 24h before it even started. Sorry.
  • Options
    MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    Clone 7 wrote: »
    Issue #3: Uncommon Janeway. Same hairstyle and same season as the 4* Janeway. Can one identical crew member have two different rarities? Also, why didn't they just use the 2* Saru for the threshold in this event? Are they worried people won't know it's a mega-event if there aren't enough Janeways

That does some strange as there are plenty of different versions of that character which could have been used for this new 2* version. For example, she had a different hairstyle in the first season.
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Mordack wrote: »
    That does some strange as there are plenty of different versions of that character which could have been used for this new 2* version. For example, she had a different hairstyle in the first season.

Yeah, I'd have picked her female manbun look.
  • Options
    2* Janeway just reminds me of something from Team America... slightly too big a head
  • Options
    garner wrote: »
    Janeway, 2*, well that is just odd. Sure Captain Janeway should be the 2* to be consistent with Kirk, Archer & Picard (oddly not Sisko as well). But why is that the threshold and not the 2* Saru that for a lot of players they would only have 1/2 from the free one. I have gotten another 2 from voyages.

We do have 2* Promoted Sisko, so he is included in the 2* Captain bunch. I will assume that since they already gave a 2* Saru to everyone, it would not make sense to give everyone another round of free 2* Sarus a couple of weeks afterward, and instead, give everyone the opportunity to obtain the new Janeway.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • Options

Until I saw the crew.

Issue #1: T'Kuvma. Why is he Security/Command? He's a religious leader who united all the Klingon great houses. Shouldn't there be some Diplomacy in there? And Security and Command are the two skills we've already been given in past mega-events
    garner wrote: »
    T’Kuvma stats are underwhelming, and he definitely should have DIP, I was expecting him to be DIP primary. But 1096 base for FFFE is pretty meh.

I watched what available for Discovery. T’Kuvma was not a diplomat in my opinion. He called for all out war from his people “Klingons”. So Diplomat stat is a no in my opinion.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is still plenty of room available on "Sitting out STD month" island

aec.gif
  • Options
    South of SuluSouth of Sulu ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    T'Kuvma should have had three stats Pah Wraith Dukat has. DIP primary, CMD secondary, followed by SEC.
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/Pah-wraith_Cult_Dukat
  • Options
    Ok. But I believe the normal Dukat in DS9 was diplomatic. I would assume that some Klingons in Timelines are. But in Discovery T’Kuvma had no diplomatic skills at right up to his death in Episode 2.
  • Options
    Ok. But I believe the normal Dukat in DS9 was diplomatic. I would assume that some Klingons in Timelines are. But in Discovery T’Kuvma had no diplomatic skills at right up to his death in Episode 2.

T'Kuvma convinced the 24 houses of the Klingons which had been at war for decades to unite. Something supposedly only Kahless could do. Diplomacy doesn't always mean working things out with outsiders. Diplomacy among the group is even more important.
  • Options
    I don’t believe his style said diplomacy. He tricked the others into agreeing with him and led them in a war chant.

But I’m just stating my opinion. Don’t want to start an argument. In Star Trek’s world we can always agree to disagree.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I don’t believe his style said diplomacy. He tricked the others into agreeing with him and led them in a war chant.

I've only watched the first episode so I can't really speak to this specifically. However, different races have different types of diplomacy. We shouldn't restrict ourselves to a Federation view of diplomacy.

edit: to see if it's spam
    Ok, I'll stop now
  • Options
    Janeway had many hairstyles over the years...
    584p120ddku6.jpg
  • Options

T'Kuvma convinced the 24 houses of the Klingons which had been at war for decades to unite. Something supposedly only Kahless could do. Diplomacy doesn't always mean working things out with outsiders. Diplomacy among the group is even more important.

I'd personally wouldn't call "giving them a war to fight with a common enemy" diplomatic, but crafty, or conniving.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to just imagine that the 2* Janeway variant is the impostor Janeway from Live Fast and Prosper.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    T'Kuvma didn't convince all 24 houses to unite behind him. Episode spoilers for those who didn't watch .
    A percentage of the houses left after coming to see what the giant flash was because of a prophecy.. The Houses that stayed decided to get behind T'Kuvma because he was offering them a fight. After his death was when all the Houses decided to go all in on the war not because of his diplomacy skills but because he became a cultural icon slash martyr.

If you have that information the lack of diplomacy makes sense in T'Kuvma.
  • Options
    I'm trying to just imagine that the 2* Janeway variant is the impostor Janeway from Live Fast and Prosper.

Maybe if you fuse this 2-star Janeway with 4-star Kilana, that's what you get!
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    AstrometricsAstrometrics ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    das411 wrote: »
    There is still plenty of room available on "Sitting out STD month" island

aec.gif

+1.

I'm personally quite happy to see Georgiou (with one of the strongest DIP in the game) and Saru (the strongest Epic SCI) in this event. Coffee Janeway is underwhelming, but two interesting crew out of three are enough to keep me motivated.

And any player who sits out makes things easier.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I would go for Saru but I like the art of the green better than the purple so I'll call the green good enough. No interest in the 4/5. That will be 2000 honor. Still holding out for the Discovery Doctor to have high base.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Y'all are crazy, the artwork on these characters is fine. It's no where near Klingon Neelix level of bad.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    http://tenforwardloungers.freecluster.eu
  • Options
    So DB is telling me Georgiou is a better DIP than all other captains including Picard? And Saru is a better SCI than all other officers including Seven? I call this statcreep.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a major issue with the event but what I do have issue with is that all the new crew members (except Janeway) only have 2 traits... Doesn't really make me want to push for any of the crew.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I share the bafflement over 2* Kathryn Janeway being so similar to 4* Captain Janeway. It doesn't feel like a different persona so much as just an alternate of the same persona. But, whatever.

As for T'Kuvma, I envisioned his card having him with a face of fury, his mouth wide and his eyes wider, arms held up high, summoning the 24 Houses to flock to him in the name of Kahless the Unforgettable. Instead, he looks like he would like to speak to the manager about how long it took to get his appetizer. I've seldom remarked on the card art choices, but this one in particular disappointed me as T'Kuvma was one of the strongest elements of the DIS opener for me. He was something few Klingons before him had been for me: genuinely intimidating. I had hoped to see that reflected in his card, and I don't.