Home The Bridge

DO BETTER - Event Shuttle mission design failure with "AND" issue still in effect (no cmd+sec) slots

124»

Comments

• All they need is someone competent to compare the client code with the server code.
    It's just a few specific lines. They probably left out some parentheses or something simple like that ;)
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    But that would require someone to math... like math hard, not easy stuff like counting dollars...
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tygra Dax wrote: »
    Darxide wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this. Wouldn't this qualify as an exploit? There's a bug in the game and only some people are aware of it and the people who are aware of it are at a significant advantage over those who don't know about it. That's the definition of an exploit to me. I feel the ethical thing for DB would have been to postpone this faction event (and any further ones) until it was fixed.

I assume there are multiple layers in your post, but nevertheless commenting on the surface layer:

- DB and ethics ?

- Players visiting the forums are aware of things other players are not. And we've been told forum visitors only make up a tiny part of the player base. Should the forums and DB's posts on it be considered exploits as well ?

If only forum goers are made aware of a screen lying to the gamer/user, then yes that could be considered an exploit by some definitions.

Seriously, the read out is wrong. It's an error. You are given FALSE information when putting some crew in slots.

Why is that NOT considered a problem by some folks here if they have a workaround that not everyone is privy to?
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, statistics have demonstrated a significant variation between the what the game tells you and what the server calculates. The problem is probably trivial to fix, but acknowledging the problem also acknowledges that people who have spent money to acquire boosts may have used them in such a way that they were worthless, which possibly opens up a legal issue (mis-sold etc.)
    However, what's the lost value really though? It's not as if we can cash in our investment in the game, so nobody has technically lost anything?

My guess is that's the crux of the non-response. People have spent a lot of money to compete based upon what the game was telling them was true and they can't really admit now that it's been wrong all this time without opening themselves up to refunds, etc.
  • Tygra DaxTygra Dax ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Tygra Dax wrote: »
    Darxide wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this. Wouldn't this qualify as an exploit? There's a bug in the game and only some people are aware of it and the people who are aware of it are at a significant advantage over those who don't know about it. That's the definition of an exploit to me. I feel the ethical thing for DB would have been to postpone this faction event (and any further ones) until it was fixed.

I assume there are multiple layers in your post, but nevertheless commenting on the surface layer:

- DB and ethics ?

- Players visiting the forums are aware of things other players are not. And we've been told forum visitors only make up a tiny part of the player base. Should the forums and DB's posts on it be considered exploits as well ?

If only forum goers are made aware of a screen lying to the gamer/user, then yes that could be considered an exploit by some definitions.

Seriously, the read out is wrong. It's an error. You are given FALSE information when putting some crew in slots.

Why is that NOT considered a problem by some folks here if they have a workaround that not everyone is privy to?

From my previous posts, you can see I do consider this a serious problem, especially since we've waited this long already without anything more than "I'll pass it along to the team".

The issue I had was with the use of the word "exploit". I dunno which definitions you are referring too, but I think this is probably the one applicable here:
    exploit: to use (someone or something) in a way that helps you unfairly

That means you consider it unfair behavior of players when they circumvent an existing malfunction in the game (so, it's unfair to make the game behave fairly and as intended and communicated), putting the blame on the players, not on DB. To me, finding a way to blame the players is what's unfair.

This AND slot thing is a problem because it's a bug, a coding error, not because it's an exploit.
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I weeks ago passed along to my fleet the findings of the AND bug since most of them never use the forum, and I personally have noticed significant improvement not just in events, but in the between event farming missions I do. A huge thanks to the folks leading this research from myself and my fleet. Even if it is recoded and silently swept under the rug in a cover up, the people exposing the issue have done a huge favor to those of us who were loosing our minds on the wonky percentages and failures.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torias327 wrote: »
    I weeks ago passed along to my fleet the findings of the AND bug since most of them never use the forum, and I personally have noticed significant improvement not just in events, but in the between event farming missions I do. A huge thanks to the folks leading this research from myself and my fleet. Even if it is recoded and silently swept under the rug in a cover up, the people exposing the issue have done a huge favor to those of us who were loosing our minds on the wonky percentages and failures.

Same here. Some of our fleet is in the forums, but most not. Passing along the information has confirmed the bug and helped out the fleet. Serious thanks to the statisticians who pieced the details together, a a big huge boo to DB who refuses to acknowledge or fix it.