Home The Bridge
Options

Skirmishes a huge time sink

Comments

• Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    3 words: Borg Scout Ship.

15-second battles. Find a setup with an event crew (Young Khan for me) and you don't change your crew each battle.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is looking like it could be worse than the infamous Christmas expedition event. Between the fixed vp everyone is earning and the chrons earned becoming Intel and being used for another round, this will be an endless grind to rank
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    al103 wrote: »
    VP 600 (usually 300)

Also 1500

hg0qak3nmdt1.png

I picked up 3000 once.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Well, got 240 Intel.
  • Options
    al103 wrote: »
    OH, LOOOL!

"This would be my last run, I'm out of Intel. Finally."
    *finishes* *looks on somehow 86 chrons*
    "But I didn't got chrons? WHEN? OK, LAST last run."
    *gets 3 chron drops in order* *farms 3600 Intel*
    "AAAAARRRRRGH!"

PS. Well, not as funny as going from 12k Intel to 20k Intel just on chron drops, but, oh, well... still perpetum mobile. *Remembers about new chrons in just 2 hours... and voyage returning in around 5-6* *neeeeervous laughter*

Wait. Where can I get intel for chronitons?
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up 3000 once.

Thought I had imagined that, because I couldn't find a screenshot.
    Antar3s wrote: »
    Wait. Where can I get intel for chronitons?

Any ship battle from the episodes/distress calls. The more chrons you use, the more intel you get. The rate is constant, so it doesn't matter if you run high or low chron cost missions.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well, new round of Perpetum-Mobile. Got 6k Intel from Voyage chrons. Spent said 6k. And much more. And currently at 18k Intel. *Neeeeeeervous laughter* I'm sooooo reminded about last expedition. I'm pretty ready to cry THIS IS SPARTA!!! and sing silly songs and it's just a first day.

*looks at guy at the first place with 2mil VP* And some people are just plain insane. Or biological robots.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a poll posted after this phase of the event. I found it a bit grindy at first, but then I sat down and changed things up. It got a little more fun. Then it went back to a grind.

If there is a way to do this, I would like to do the battles until I think I've maxed the VP, then warp through the rest of my Intel. I like the challenge of optimizing event crew and ships, but the grind is a killer.

(FYI, two-month player with no maxed out ships other than 1-2 stars. I can't just jump in a Bounty or Scout Ship and obliterate everything.)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a poll posted after this phase of the event. I found it a bit grindy at first, but then I sat down and changed things up. It got a little more fun. Then it went back to a grind.

If there is a way to do this, I would like to do the battles until I think I've maxed the VP, then warp through the rest of my Intel. I like the challenge of optimizing event crew and ships, but the grind is a killer.

(FYI, two-month player with no maxed out ships other than 1-2 stars. I can't just jump in a Bounty or Scout Ship and obliterate everything.)

Its just as much of a grind with the 5 star ships, just better rewards. Though I see a lot more insta-kill.
    I kinda feel like George Jetson going to work.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You don't need maxed out 5* ship. You need lv5-6 and good crew for it (though it would be a bit longer than lv10). Though Darth Bashir is one of said good crew for this event - repair AND only one bonus crew you need.

Just at 2 month you are unlikely to have said good crew.
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost over a thousand spots overnight. No way I'm grinding enough to get a good result.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost over a thousand spots overnight. No way I'm grinding enough to get a good result.

Exactly.
  • Options
    It's a nice addition, but yes, repetitive.
    score really is based more on self sacrifice than anything else.

in future, skirmishes will hopefully be part of *hybrid* events, not 4-day endless ship battles. (And yes, bring back expeditions for hybrids too!)

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than 2 hours, all thresholds claimed...now just sit back and relax and watch people complain about the event..... :wink:

Lol do you normally not try to rank in an event?
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is fun. The question is, how can DB possibly be making money from this event? I'm stopping because I'm tired, not because I've run out of supplies.

Basically what I'm saying is Skirmish events are doomed because they aren't profitable.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the tip about only needing one event crew. That will totally change the way I approach the event. I'm sure it will become grindy again in 15 minutes.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    This is fun. The question is, how can DB possibly be making money from this event? I'm stopping because I'm tired, not because I've run out of supplies.

Basically what I'm saying is Skirmish events are doomed because they aren't profitable.

this is a first run, they will figure it out, nerf it to hell... change it around and then find ways to make more money, its what they do.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling chronitons (they have not been dropping for me as much as reported by others) and ship schematics.
  • Options
    Muffan wrote: »
    It is the very definition of tedium

Personally I find galaxy events to be the definition of tedium. I am liking skirmishes so far.

I like skirmishes so far too, although i'm not at all surprised by the level complaining.

There has always been a significant % of Trek fans that never happy with anything and they help give Trekkers a bad name.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ship: Borg Scout Ship

Crew:
    • Killy
    • Klingon O'Brien
    • Locutus
    • Young Khan

Strategy:
    Pop Locutus as soon as he comes up.

When they come up (all have inits at 6 seconds) fire: O'Brien, Killy, Borg Laser Cutting Beam

With 1/5 Killy and 4/5 Locutus, this will result in instant death ~70% of the time and frequently dead within the next shot or two.

Why:
    My battle time is usually 7-10 seconds long. While there might be more powerful or consistent compositions, this one has finished matches the fastest for me. If I'm focused on it, I can clear a set of 5 matches in 2:30-3:00.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very happy with this event type! The only dfference I see, and perhaps this is mildly antagonistic, between the “grind” of skirmishes, and the “grind” of galaxies and even factions, is that casuals are not financially prohibited from letting the same 1000 people get the top rewards every event. Rather than needing a deep reserve of chrons that you get to save up since you’ve leveled most everyone in the game and have free 10 hour voyages; or pools of dilithium from spending hundreds of dollars to insta-finish shuttles full of pre-FFFE event crew and rocket ahead to a point of untouchability, in a skirmish everyone can earn chrons and intel all event long. I like this, and it will hopefully open the door to more folks getting some golds on their game they can use to level the playing field. Skirmishes are still tilted toward “player power”, you just can’t buy-out winning this event, or go in knowing you’re untouchable in Top 50. If you don’t want to grind, then the little guy gets a chance to rank without saving chrons for 4 months. If you’re dead set on being Top X place every week, then you get to grind to stay ahead, but since Mirror Troi took me 20+ hours of only event clicking to just barely rank in the high 900’s for, that isn’t really new either.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Crew:
    • Killy
    • Klingon O'Brien
    • Locutus
    • Young Khan

Strategy:

When they come up (all have inits at 6 seconds) fire: O'Brien, Killy, Borg Laser Cutting Beam

With 1/5 Killy and 4/5 Locutus, this will result in instant death ~70% of the time and frequently dead within the next shot or two.

Why:
    My battle time is usually 7-10 seconds long. While there might be more powerful or consistent compositions, this one has finished matches the fastest for me. If I'm focused on it, I can clear a set of 5 matches in 2:30-3:00.

This does work so much faster than using a Bounty. One minor change I made was to use Smiley instead of Klingon O’Brien...my Klingon is at 2/4* level 1 and Smiley has shield regeneration. I may look for someone else that has an accuracy boost with shield regen but for now this is still a great combo even with Locutus at 1/5*.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    not every event is everyone's cup of tea. lots of people hated expeditions, i liked them
    lots of people don't like this style, i kind of like it. separates people in the rankings from those who don't want to sit there and tap tap tap tap tap.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Crew:
    • Killy
    • Klingon O'Brien
    • Locutus
    • Young Khan

Strategy:

Why:

This does work so much faster than using a Bounty. One minor change I made was to use Smiley instead of Klingon O’Brien...my Klingon is at 2/4* level 1 and Smiley has shield regeneration. I may look for someone else that has an accuracy boost with shield regen but for now this is still a great combo even with Locutus at 1/5*.

Yea, the key players are really:
    1) Locutus is irreplaceable. I don't think there are any 1 second inits in the game.
    2) 6 second init +Accuracy. If there's a Burst or Haste version of this, I'd run it over O'Brien. Noah is only 100% burst and only +5. Da Vinci is another option, but is only +6 if FFed. Pel has a higher +Accuracy, but the Crit Bonus is probably superfluous. Probably will test out Pel now that I'm thinking about it.
    3) 6 second Burst. Killy was recently released and sounded good. There are probably a bunch of others that can fill this role.
    4) Khan and Bashir are the only event characters I have currently. Khan gets the nod because Bashir's abilities just aren't useful to bring the match to a close quickly.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    irrelevant, posted before I saw the second page.