Home The Bridge
Options

Skirmishes a huge time sink

13»

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    U do get lots of chrons and honor and creds and you can lvl up people at the same time and get lots of holoemitters so there are some pros to the event. It just needs some tweaking and reworking.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ship: Borg Scout Ship

Crew:
    • Killy
    • Klingon O'Brien
    • Locutus
    • Young Khan

Strategy:
    Pop Locutus as soon as he comes up.

When they come up (all have inits at 6 seconds) fire: O'Brien, Killy, Borg Laser Cutting Beam

With 1/5 Killy and 4/5 Locutus, this will result in instant death ~70% of the time and frequently dead within the next shot or two.

Why:
    My battle time is usually 7-10 seconds long. While there might be more powerful or consistent compositions, this one has finished matches the fastest for me. If I'm focused on it, I can clear a set of 5 matches in 2:30-3:00.

This does work so much faster than using a Bounty. One minor change I made was to use Smiley instead of Klingon O’Brien...my Klingon is at 2/4* level 1 and Smiley has shield regeneration. I may look for someone else that has an accuracy boost with shield regen but for now this is still a great combo even with Locutus at 1/5*.

Yea, the key players are really:
    1) Locutus is irreplaceable. I don't think there are any 1 second inits in the game.
    2) 6 second init +Accuracy. If there's a Burst or Haste version of this, I'd run it over O'Brien. Noah is only 100% burst and only +5. Da Vinci is another option, but is only +6 if FFed. Pel has a higher +Accuracy, but the Crit Bonus is probably superfluous. Probably will test out Pel now that I'm thinking about it.
    3) 6 second Burst. Killy was recently released and sounded good. There are probably a bunch of others that can fill this role.
    4) Khan and Bashir are the only event characters I have currently. Khan gets the nod because Bashir's abilities just aren't useful to bring the match to a close quickly.

1) Locutus the only enemy crew that concerns me in the Arena...but, surprisingly, he’s not the only 1s init crew: Mirror Spock and his +5 accuracy boost also start after one second.
    2) Yarnek has a 6s init and +8 accuracy. Crell Moset has an unfortunate 8s init but has a trigger-free Crit bonus and is +8. Captain Janeway gives +8 accuracy with 6s init but kills shield regen. Oooh...I might have found it: Lieutenant Valeris has a 4s init and +9 boost; the fact that she has only two uses is immaterial. I’m going to give her a whirl.
    4) And with the Borg Scout Ship just being a giant gun platform, Darth Bashir’s evasion just isn’t important.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Has it been confirmed in any thread that the accrued Intel balance will carry over from Phase 1 to Phase 2? I know that the intel costs will reset at phase change, and I know that the balance will vanish when the event ends.

Any definitive information on this would be greatly appreciated. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admiral Janeway is 1s initiate, for Evasion +9 (FF, I assume +5 at one star). I use her on my Cube to boost it’s sad evasion early in arena fights. 10s duration, 12s CD. I wouldn’t use her in the event, but in the arena, she does help the giant block dodge Locutus occasionally and set up for a strong 2nd evader.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    The honor rewards seem small but I’ve added about 7000 honor in the last 48 hours. Maybe 1000 of that is in crew dismissals and another 1300 is in daily rewards. I was thinking I would have enough to buy a citation near the end of the month but at this rate I might be able to put a second star on Darth Bashir in just a few days.
  • Options
    Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    There's no additional rewards or goals to reach for phase 2? Just different ordered ships?
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has it been confirmed in any thread that the accrued Intel balance will carry over from Phase 1 to Phase 2? I know that the intel costs will reset at phase change, and I know that the balance will vanish when the event ends.

I checked my Intel before and after phase change. It did not reset.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Captain Q wrote: »
    There's no additional rewards or goals to reach for phase 2? Just different ordered ships?

Right about rewards. Seems to work like any other event. I did not look closely at the enemy ships. I think there were changes beyond order. Pretty sure there is at least one different ship. Also pretty sure that bonus traits changed.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked my Intel before and after phase change. It did not reset.

Thank you! LLAP
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Captain LostCaptain Lost ✭✭✭✭
    I was having a hard time surviving Epic the first day, but I've figured out a setup that works for me. Borg Scoutship with Bell Riots Bashir, Prisoner O'Brien, Undercover O'Brien and Wrathful Khan.
    I'm liking this event so far. No way am I getting Enemy Lines Sisko from the Ranked Rewards, but I never crack Top 1000 in other events, anyway.
  • Options
    JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    I feel this event type requires me to put in a lot more time than galaxy to get to the same rank. It feels like a time sink to me too, although I do get why people enjoy it. I like the little bonus boxes between battles.
    It might be less of a time sink than expedition, I remember I never properly competed in those at all because they were so tedious.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I guess you can compare chroniton cost. Galaxy is around 8000 for me for top 650.

Although I've spent maybe 3000 on this so far I still have the same number of chronitons I did when I started!

It'll probably end up costing 2000-3000.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I very much appreciate the goal, concept, and effort on DB’s part. However, I likewise find Skirmishes tedious and time-consuming to the point of annoyance, which is not something I’m looking for in a game.

Recommend reducing the number of battles per skirmish to three AT MOST and/or allow captains to combine as many battles as we like into one, within a skirmish. Fighting multiple ships at once would be more realistic, interesting, challenging (for all captains, including high-level/advanced), and — if VP are increased according to number of enemy ships defeated — rewarding. I could likely successfully complete at least three Epic battles at once. I realize it’s not a very likely/feasible change and it’s no doubt something that’s been suggested before.

This is coming from a player who enjoys the Arena dailies as well as the Galaxy AND Expedition event types.

Thanks for reading, live long, and prosper.
    [GT~] • Picard • Admiral of GAY TREKKERS Fleet, Leader of [GT~] VALKYRIES Squadron.
    "If there is one ideal that the Federation holds most dear, it is that all men, all races can be united." =A=
  • Options
    Sitting pretty in the....3000s. I guess I just don't care enough to convert all my saved chronitons into intel and stuff, but I've been doing space battles more than usual and spent all my intel and still will barely walk away with the 3-star Khan. Not a problem with the event itself. Other players clearly want it more, and they'll get higher rewards. That's fair. I'm just surprised how low I'm winding up vs. taking the same approach (no saved chronitons, just normal gameplay) and getting in the top 200 in the last galaxy event.

One thing I did wrong at the start is I tried 1 lowest tier skirmish and 1 elite before getting to the epic, because that's how he did it in the video. In the future I'll just go right for the big bucks. But that's just two skirmishes, so I don't think it's tanked me too much.

Anyway, I like a lot about skirmishes, but overall I agree it's kind of tedious. Once you settle on a four-person crew that can carry you through the whole thing, you don't even to change for each battle. You just keep pushing the same buttons in the same order until you run out of intel.
  • Options
    t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    s3308shc6pob.jpg
  • Options
    If the game keeps force closing when you attempt to play a Skirmish and you quit, it's far less tedious.
  • Options
    I have been using a different strategy in phase 2. It makes the time sink worse, but more rewarding. I switched to Elite instead of Epic*. I can beat Elite quickly and consistently. I get the reward instead of the repair. When I get the chronitons, I get gear from space battles, which gives me more intel. I was able to keep the cycle going for a while. I got a lot of gear and hit 4,000th place. It really helped me level up crew for the next event. It is absolutely a time sink, but I'm less bitter about it.

*I've been playing less than 3 months and have limited ships and crew. I really don't want to go into why I can't beat Epic (again).
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, personally, I only like small time sinks.

yqiruii820ge.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    V. wrote: »
    I guess you can compare chroniton cost. Galaxy is around 8000 for me for top 650.

Although I've spent maybe 3000 on this so far I still have the same number of chronitons I did when I started!

It'll probably end up costing 2000-3000.

You're not spending chrons in this event. Everything you farm, you get to keep. You might be choosing sub-optimal ship missions but I still managed to get dozens of 4* components and stocked up on holoemmitters this weekend.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    I think Young khan said it best........................

xg7zmpemn6qk.jpg

This was actually displayed the whole time on one of my last battles. Made me laugh.
  • Options
    Event seems less tedious than Galaxy events.
  • Options
    RNGeverythingRNGeverything ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Pepex82 wrote: »
    Not sure where you’re getting that. Last galaxy event I barely played till the morning of event end. Played for an hour and a half and ranked top 1000.

This event I just now played for two hours straight and ranked 3,500. That doesn’t include the several battles I put in throughout the weekend. And every single battle was horribly boring.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Pepex82 wrote: »
    Not sure where you’re getting that. Last galaxy event I barely played till the morning of event end. Played for an hour and a half and ranked top 1000.

This event I just now played for two hours straight and ranked 3,500. That doesn’t include the several battles I put in throughout the weekend. And every single battle was horribly boring.

Totally agree. With a galaxy event I can usually get a top 1000 with less than two hour's effort.

I played this one for ages and gave up chasing the Sisko because I got bored.