Home The Bridge

Fourth triple Guinan this month

Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in The Bridge
Am I going crazy or is this the fourth triple Guinan trait Gauntlet event within a month?
Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan
Hey DB. The Gauntlet is already the least favorite part of your game, no need to pile on.

Comments

• Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always assumed that there are trait sets that get chosen at random, and this aspect of RNG just really likes Guinan.
  • Triple trait events (especially with Guinan whose El-Aurian trait is practically unique) mean complete boredom in the Gauntlet. All you see at the upper levels are a sea of Guinans which put you at the mercy of DBs notoriously skewed RNG. Frankly, the Gauntlet would be slightly more enjoyable with no criticals.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Triple trait events (especially with Guinan whose El-Aurian trait is practically unique) mean complete boredom in the Gauntlet. All you see at the upper levels are a sea of Guinans which put you at the mercy of DBs notoriously skewed RNG. Frankly, the Gauntlet would be slightly more enjoyable with no criticals.

If you are not one of those who are lucky enough to have won Guinan previously you have no chance.

I kept hitting walls of 65% crits last time around
  • Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    Ya this is annoying. I get that Black Pebble said the first back to back was just a really rare case but this is starting to get frustrating. I have Guinan and I hate this. Anything at 65% makes it extremely hard to go on streaks and I wish they would cap the bonus at 50% or something.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 65% Guinan is awful. Especially because her DIP is so high, that her DIP + 65% means she becomes a wall for DIP + ENG in addition to DIP + MED/SEC. Even DIP + CMD/SCI is risky. It's really just an attempt by DB to force us to burn even more merits on refreshes.
  • I saw this Guinan Gauntlet & said no way, sitting this 1 out, not even goanna bother with the the streaks of 2, no refreshes just simply taking a break. Thank you very much.
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great for merit farming :)
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we do not all get the same gauntlets, bc I have only had a triple Guinan one other time in a months time.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we do not all get the same gauntlets, bc I have only had a triple Guinan one other time in a months time.

You must be on the B schedule, one day off from those of us suffering through 65% Guinan Round 4. Consider yourself lucky!
  • Triple trait events (especially with Guinan whose El-Aurian trait is practically unique) mean complete boredom in the Gauntlet. All you see at the upper levels are a sea of Guinans which put you at the mercy of DBs notoriously skewed RNG. Frankly, the Gauntlet would be slightly more enjoyable with no criticals.

I've often said this exact same thing. Imagine gauntlet with no base crits (i.e. no traits = 0% crit chance) and each trait only gave 5% boost.

To compensate could give 4 traits but typical maximum to deal with is 5%-10%. A 15% could be the new 65% and 20% impossible (no combo of 4 traits).

Streaks would last longer (more blue trainers) but would end soon anyway due to exhaustion.

All it would do is remove frustration over RNG uncontrollable aspect. Crits never work for your good since we are the attackers and we always try to attack weaker (or worsecase mirror) opponent.

Defence does not give points or merits so who cares how many times you crit on defense.

Gauntlet needs a 2.0 version.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defence does not give points or merits so who cares how many times you crit on defense.

Haven't you heard the old saying, "defense wins gauntlets"?
  • Dralix wrote: »

Haven't you heard the old saying, "defense wins gauntlets"?

It doesn't matter how good you defense is if you don't score any points on offense.
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!
  • The 65% triple play would be nice once in awhile if the traits were actually randomized. Unfortunately, there are a few sets of pre-selected traits that come up a lot more than others, and there are some traits that are never used. Because of this, the "Guinan Effect" tends to skew the gauntlet stats in favor of players that have her, or the other triple play crew (ex. Doc Crusher - Human, Federation, Caregiver).

In addition, these traits are geared towards characters that are pretty decent gauntlet plays, further separating the causal player from the game. It would be my wish that all of the traits could be used in a true RNG mix-up in order to encourage players to use other characters other than the main plays, which would reduce the walls a bit. This way, there would be less 45% crits, and 65% crits would be possible, but as rare as Jazz Musician Riker Enabran Tain. Even 25% crits would require some luck to be used with the best gauntlet crew.

This is somewhat of a compromise between the people who like crits, and the people who don't. It will also encourage more people to play, and therefore create less walls.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    9x0alnm2gyur.png
    Despite often having slightly better proficiencies, this is the usual outcome for me with mirror matches...😞
  • edited June 2018
    The problem with this gauntlet:
    even if you *have* guinan, it's only about 50% chance of winning once, and then all following matches are (almost) guaranteed losses. these are not fun conditions.

@Warrior Willo : Have you heard of the "defender bias"?

[EDIT]
    These 4 hopeless guinan guantlets could be a *test*.
    • Does it increase merit refresh spending?
    • Does it increase dilithium restore spending?
    • If so, then we will have more of these!
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I have decided this time around for the Guinan wall I will run my squad against impossible odds and celebrate any heroic victories with a drink. A 5* Single Pot Whiskey which is just as legendary as any victory on a Guinan wall. Cheers.
  • WundigoreWundigore ✭✭✭
    I think this is the 3rd gauntlet in the last couple of months with a 65% for Guinan. This is no fun for people like me who in spite of participating the whole time she was the grand prize never won her (she is unbeatable with that bonus) and no fun for whoever has her because "wall of Guinan." There should be more control on repeats like that, especially ones that turn one of everyone's favorite gaunlet beasts into gauntlet Godzilla.
  • I haven't messed with my Guinan because to FF her I need like 200k honor and I've put the project on the back burner.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't messed with my Guinan because to FF her I need like 200k honor and I've put the project on the back burner.

You don't need her FF. Even at 1/5 FE she is still useful. I have her at 3/5 and she is on every voyage. Apparently, she is top 10 for voyage so if you don't have a lot of 5/5 just tack an extra star on her or two on her.
  • WundigoreWundigore ✭✭✭
    It would be more interesting if they boosted common counter-plays to the gauntlet superstars. Ones that have traits 1 and 2 matched against the big guns 1 and 3 traits. There are no doubt some that become decent plays for a round or two against the supers when they are at 45 or 65%.
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    The B schedule (just had a gauntlet reset yesterday June 4 for US times) has a repeat of Eng Human/Innovator/Jury Rigger going now. Most crew with high Eng have 45% (Mirror La Forge, North Star Tucker, Borg La Forge), with a lot of other good crew have 25% (Mirror Picard, Seven, Locutus, thankfully not the Caretaker). It's almost the opposite of the Guinan gauntlets with a bunch of high-crit crew (though another opposite might be the Hunter/Cyberneticist/Maquis one, with almost no one worthwhile having 45% or 65%, and only a handful of useful 25%).
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's no fun even for people with Guinan. Play once at a 50% chance of winning, then every future wall you're at a disadvantage. The only thing this gauntlet is good for is forcing people to spend merits.
  • I have Guinan and I have lost several times to 25% Nurse Garland. It’s not impossible without Guinan.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't messed with my Guinan because to FF her I need like 200k honor and I've put the project on the back burner.

You don't need her FF. Even at 1/5 FE she is still useful. I have her at 3/5 and she is on every voyage. Apparently, she is top 10 for voyage so if you don't have a lot of 5/5 just tack an extra star on her or two on her.

I have her at 3/5 stars thanks to some luck at Gauntlet, too, but she's not on my voyages all that often. She has the same three skills as Prisoner Cornwell, Mirror Inquisitor Troi, and now Bell Riots Bashir. So if you have (or very soon will have) two of those at 4 or 5 stars, the value of adding a star to Guinan is diminished for game play purposes, including Voyages.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my Guinan at lvl 100, and I NEVER put her up against other Guinans. In fact I have gotten to the point I never put like characters together in a match. I just want the wins (even at 10 Trophies), as I am on the plunge to get to Locutus in a few thousand rounds.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Guinan and I have lost several times to 25% Nurse Garland. It’s not impossible without Guinan.

I also just beat a FE Guinan with my Mirror Phlox for the MED/SEC combo. I was probably pushing the odds when I tried that, but hey, it worked!
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It's no fun even for people with Guinan. Play once at a 50% chance of winning, then every future wall you're at a disadvantage. The only thing this gauntlet is good for is forcing people to spend merits.

I hate the 65% Guinan gauntlet as much as the next guy, but I found an easy solution to being forced to spend merits - I don't. Turns out, I'm not being forced after all.

Preach, brother. Even with walls of Guinans, I still find a way to turn the gauntlet into a merit farm rather than a merit sink. Not pushing buttons is easier than pushing buttons.
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭

I have her at 3/5 stars thanks to some luck at Gauntlet, too, but she's not on my voyages all that often. She has the same three skills as Prisoner Cornwell, Mirror Inquisitor Troi, and now Bell Riots Bashir. So if you have (or very soon will have) two of those at 4 or 5 stars, the value of adding a star to Guinan is diminished for game play purposes, including Voyages.

Civilian trait bonus pops up often for Med on voyages. I don't have many strong voyage Med with Civilian, so when they added it to Guinan, I was ecstatic. She also has other traits that pop up for Dip and Sec that other strong Meds don't have, like Communicator and Marksman.

I can't say that she is worth using citations on, especially because a lot of her voyage score comes from her prof, but she is often in voyages for me (I have mostly 1/5 and 2/5, with some higher fusings)
  • We want more !
    Much more guinan gauntlets !
    Like a month with nothing else.