Home The Bridge
Options

Voyages run out of AM suspiciously often close to next dilemma?!

I observed that my voyages run out of AM suspiciously often very close to the next Dilemma. Something link 10 to 2 minutes before reaching it. Sometimes my crew isn't good enough to even get this close I think, sometimes it's so good that I am very surprised that it does not reach the dilemma...it's very difficult to put a my finger on how a voyage turns out. But it's almost never that half an hour or so is missing to the next dilemma, or that the dilemma is reached and I have to recall 4 minutes later.

It feels a little as if DB guides the voyages so that they fail close to the dilemma such that more people are motivated to spend dilithium to keep it alive in order to reach the next one (and the one after that, which also never happens). It would fit very well into DB's well known tactic's to bully money out of the players.

What are your experiences? Did you observe something similar?

Comments

• Options
    Mine usually run out shortly after the 8 hour dilemma. But sometimes they run out just before the 8 hour mark, it depends on how much starting antimatter and if I was paying attention to the featured skills.
  • Options
    It all depends on your crew. I find I can comfortably hit the 6-hour mark each time, but never 8. I'm usually left with enough for 30-60 minutes more when I reach the third dilemma. Antimatter can only drain so fast, so there's no way DB can cause your voyage to suddenly fail just before a dilemma.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope_F wrote: »
    It feels a little as if DB guides the voyages so that they fail close to the dilemma

Just no.

• Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    Antimatter can only drain so fast, so there's no way DB can cause your voyage to suddenly fail just before a dilemma.

Well, what they could do would be to chose the skill checks in such a way, that it just falls short of the dilemma. Also, the events between skill checks are not fixed, there can be more, there can be less...so the distance between skill checks is not constant...they could be selected in such a way that the voyage just falls short.

Usually, if I reach a dilemma, I am always able to go half an hour further or so...never just a few minutes. It seems very strange to me.

My crew will improve significantly within the next few days. This improvement should make a big difference and I should hit that next dilemma considerably more often...one can only hope.
  • Options
    It's your crew mate, I thought the same first as I stopped at 7.5 hours all the time. Then I read a few guides here and changed how I did my crew and with the same crew to my disposal I'm now constantly doing 8.5 hour voyages.

I ignore all stats except the gold/silver ones and as long as I get them to 9-10k I beat 8 hours each time.

I even send out purples in non gold/silver silver slots if it boosts the main skill set over a legendary crew member.

Works for me, so no I don't think it's DB. It's just your crew or how you put them together for the voyage.
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    I will see...will immortalize 10 3/4 in the following days plus the Seven daily reward will immortalize her as well...this should be a significant boost to my crew such that I should make it regularly to the next dilemma.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that your proficiencies are actually rolled for so if your crew is very proficiency orientated you can get lucky (or unlucky).
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do find it suspicious that the 8 hr voyage goes past 8 hrs before you get the 8 hr dilemma. Like 8 hrs and 1 or 2 minutes. I dont know if this is a visual bug or a voyage bug.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I do find it suspicious that the 8 hr voyage goes past 8 hrs before you get the 8 hr dilemma. Like 8 hrs and 1 or 2 minutes. I dont know if this is a visual bug or a voyage bug.

That's just a visual bug, happens to all dilemmas.

And if the OP improves his starbase a little, he'll make those extra 2-10 minutes and this issue vanishes.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    I’m not sure if this is giving us more or less credit than we deserve. :o

Shhhh, just take the credit and run with itin whatever way works best in the moment... ;)
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the gauntlet streak breaker.
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Trust me, I would never give you more credit than you deserve. But I trust you not one bit, I believe you (i.e. DB) are devious and greedy before anything else. So forgive my mistrust, but it's born out of countless disappointments.
  • Options
    This seems a bit...paranoid. I think it's fair to say that Voyages are balanced by design to cluster AM depletion around various 2hr marks based on the quality of the crew you send out (very generally speaking). However, the bonus starting AM and your RNG luck (hazards/skills drawn) factor in significantly as well.

But back to your concern. To argue that DB has some nefarious "THOU SHALT NOT PASS" kill switch coded into Voyages to stop you from reaching that last dilemma is patently bonkers. And not because it isn't possible, but because it's simply not borne out by people's experiences, writ large. I'd say you've probably had a bit of a bad stretch lately, or your crew is just consistently crapping out short of whatever target it is you are trying to reach (you never told us which). But if anything, that suggests you just need slightly better crew or slightly better strategy. As others have said, things get dicey if you're trying to make the 8hr mark.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    But back to your concern. To argue that DB has some nefarious "THOU SHALT NOT PASS" kill switch coded into Voyages to stop you from reaching that last dilemma is patently bonkers. And not because it isn't possible, but because it's simply not borne out by people's experiences, writ large. I'd say you've probably had a bit of a bad stretch lately, or your crew is just consistently crapping out short of whatever target it is you are trying to reach (you never told us which). But if anything, that suggests you just need slightly better crew or slightly better strategy. As others have said, things get dicey if you're trying to make the 8hr mark.

Bonkers is just your comment. There is the proven fact that displayed success chances for shuttles are higher than the outcome, which has nothing to do with a bad stretch, but it's simply calculated wrongly. If this is on purpose to screw us over or just out of incompetence does not really matter. DB knows about it an does nothing about it, that alone is enough to mistrust them for everything they do. If there is a problem with the game and you know about it, you fix it. If you don't, you screw your players!
    The same is true for Gauntlet which is clearly biased towards defender.

If I would be a greedy bastard, I would actually do everything I can to extort as much dilithium out of players as possible. So it's by no means far-fetched to suspect nefarious motives from a company with this track record.
  • Options
    SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭
    It just gets progressively harder as time goes on, so of course you are more likely to expire closer to a dilemma.

You could look at it as cynical, or look at it as a gameplay feature. Or perhaps DB are picking on you specifically ;)

I also don't believe gauntlets are skewed - i've had a fair run of bad luck but some good luck too. I think a lot of peoples scepticism around the RNG for this more that they dont understand odds, the criticals hits, or the averages of peoples skill.

That said - Shuttle mission percentages are clearly broken (as in they sometimes dont reflect when the difficulty increases), leading to 99% missions failing far too often.
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    Siblin wrote: »
    I think a lot of peoples scepticism around the RNG for this more that they dont understand odds, the criticals hits, or the averages of peoples skill.

This clearly does not apply to me. I am a statistician and earn my money with it.

I am already tracking shuttle data and have just started to collect Gauntlet data. Because of the method I use it will take quite a while until I have a sufficient and presentable amount of data collected for Gauntlet though.
  • Options
    Is the "Voyage KillSwitch" the new "StreakBreaker™" or the new "Shuttle Conspiracy™"?

I'm confused why people who so openly despise DB and tell them they're tricksy villains still play this game. I mean it's not really that great, no offense. I play it because I like some of the mechanics and I enjoy ST.

Sometimes I think people play this game just to complain about every new feature.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the galaxy's future from itself since 22XX
  • Options
    I think a lot of peoples scepticism around the RNG for this more that they dont understand odds, the criticals hits, or the averages of peoples skill.

This clearly does not apply to me. I am a statistician and earn my money with it.

I am already tracking shuttle data and have just started to collect Gauntlet data. Because of the method I use it will take quite a while until I have a sufficient and presentable amount of data collected for Gauntlet though.

They recently changed the drop rates of voyages. So if you are tracking voyages as well, you will need to take that into account
  • Options

They recently changed the drop rates of voyages. So if you are tracking voyages as well, you will need to take that into account

When did they do that? What did they change?
  • Options
    Skizzy wrote: »

It was changed sometime early last week. The drop rate for 4* and chrons were lowered. It’s quite possible now to do a 16 hr voyage and receive zero 4*’s.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Lol, I've had 16 hour voyages without getting a 4 since October.
  • Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭

There were no changes made to the Voyages loot table or drop rates since the feature originally launched.
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Lol, I've had 16 hour voyages without getting a 4 in October.

Nine times in a row? And getting less than 300 chrons after 8 hrs? I know i’m not the only who had noticed a change in drop rates
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

The observer bias says they've changed. DB claims they haven't.

The real problem is DB builds RNG into so much that it's incredibly difficult for their staff to test things without sampling thousands of runs. So things change/break and the staff claims nothing was done. See the portal pull fiasco as exhibit A. It's possible DB changed something in voyages after the first week too, but we'd need a massive collection of data before and after to prove it. Similarly with shuttles, maybe display rate != actual success rate, but for a developer/QA engineer looking at a couple tests, if the displayed rate is anything between 25% and 99% and you see some success and failure it's possible. You'd need to run a lot of samples to prove a bug exists and they're clearly not investing in the QA resources for it.
  • Options
    SpaceWereDragonSpaceWereDragon ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    AviTrek wrote: »

The observer bias says they've changed. DB claims they haven't.

The real problem is DB builds RNG into so much that it's incredibly difficult for their staff to test things without sampling thousands of runs. So things change/break and the staff claims nothing was done. See the portal pull fiasco as exhibit A. It's possible DB changed something in voyages after the first week too, but we'd need a massive collection of data before and after to prove it. Similarly with shuttles, maybe display rate != actual success rate, but for a developer/QA engineer looking at a couple tests, if the displayed rate is anything between 25% and 99% and you see some success and failure it's possible. You'd need to run a lot of samples to prove a bug exists and they're clearly not investing in the QA resources for it.

They didnt said they did not changed it since the last voyage patch. I don’t think they changed it previously but since the last patch ( I think it was the giant voyage recall they did), it appears they might have tweaked it.
  • Options
    Some days I easily trot across the 6 hour mark. Other days I'm out by 5.5 hours. It really just depends on the traits required and crew. For instance, if it's a dip/cmd day, I've got a pretty good chance of going 8 hours. If it's eng/med I might as well recall after the 4 hour mark, because I know I'm not getting to 6. I can't remember more than a handful of times that I've run out with less than 10 minutes, before the next dilemma.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didnt said they did not changed it since the last voyage patch. I don’t think they changed it previously but since the last patch ( I think it was the giant voyage recall they did), it appears they might have tweaked it.

If/when we make changes to Voyages loot tables or drop rates, we'll let the community know ahead of time.
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Lol, I've had 16 hour voyages without getting a 4 in October.

Nine times in a row? And getting less than 300 chrons after 8 hrs? I know i’m not the only who had noticed a change in drop rates

Not that streaky but I've had some really bad runs since early/mid October.
    Now I didn't do that many in a row at that length -- I think I killed em around 12, but I had 5 in a row with no 4s, then one with 4 in the voyage before hitting 10.

The chrons, now that's odd, as my last several 8 hour ones had more chrons than that.