Home Strange New Worlds

Discovery S3 discussion (spoilers)

Okay - let's talk about this! As a life-long Trekkie, I am anxious for all this new Star Trek stuff coming out! Lower Decks was amazing, and I don't like that genre animation style at all. Let'e do this...

It seems the writers are being very careful about potential lapses in continuity. We'll see if that holds, since they have mentioned the "Temporal War", and there are rumours of Picard tie-ins. (Those pesky androids could still be around after all!)

The Andorian... WTH? Okay, maybe he is a cross breed, and/or it has been 900+ years, so evolution, etc. I think they did a terrible job on that guy. ENT Shran was the best Andorian makeup so far IMO.

Side note: I noticed that the Orion girl trader "Hadley" is an actress that has played 3 or 4 other roles on Disco so far. The naming of this character must be a homage to Billy Blackburn who played Helmsman "Hadley" on TOS, as well as probably a dozen other characters in TOS.

Booke's ship was pretty cool. I like the weird tactile matter conversion control system. Very interesting.

Who else thinks the Worm-thing looked quite a bit like the alien creature in Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher"?

Overall, the first episode sets up the season very well. If you remember Burnham's speech at then end of S1, you know she is a proud Federation/Starfleet lifer, and all her thoughts and actions in this episode mirror that.

I definitely liked that Booke wasn't just a merchant or gun-for-hire. He has depth and will prove interesting to the story. I think Burnham is softening him up a bit, because he has been jaded for so long not trusting many people.

The speech of "Starfleet" representative Sahil at the end tugged at the heart strings. Production on this season is taking the core of Star Trek to heart so far.

We have a long way to go, and I am still processing after watching this episode twice.
I want to become a Dilionaire...

Comments

• I am interested in those six stars on the flag.
    Do we know if the Federation flag is akin to the EU flag, where the stars are just decoration and do not represent anything.
    Or is the Federation flag akin to the US flag where the stars represent individual states/ member planets?
    If so
    Earth, Vulcan, Q'onos...
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not terribly interested, except for the reference to Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. I only caught the one reference. Please tag me if you also caught it or if maybe I missed others. I was multitasking while I watched it, so forgive me if I missed any. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • I would still like to see a new Star Trek series that is not a continuation as such and you can watch each episode without feeling you need to watch the prequils, like TOS or TNG or DS9 wich you can watch in any order more or less.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would still like to see a new Star Trek series that is not a continuation as such and you can watch each episode without feeling you need to watch the prequils, like TOS or TNG or DS9 wich you can watch in any order more or less.

I think Strange New Worlds is supposed to be a little (hopefully a lot) like that.
    Farewell 🖖
  • I found a possible discontinuity in Ep1. When Booke says "The Gorn ripped a hole in subspace", and Burnham replies "The Gorn?"

Burnham shouldn't know about the Gorn, since they weren't introduced (in the Prime universe) until Kirk & crew discovered them decades later.

I think Ep 3 should have aired right after Ep1, but I get the need to keep the audiences "engaged".

I am rewatching Ep1 to find the Andromeda reference, and to watch Ep3 right after for personal continuity.
  • I wasn't super impressed with Discovery seasons 1 & 2. They felt too confined. They felt out of place. How could you explain this unique ship in a time when humans were still wading into outer space. It just didn't quite feel like it fit well into Star Trek legacy.

Then we had the season 2 ending. Ok, that was an odd way to explain away Discovery in the early years, but it might work..

But now, I've been impressed with Discovery so far since season 3 began. It feels like a breath of fresh air. They've given the ship and crew a chance to explore new life and new civilizations. Albeit, familiar life, but at least in 3188 they could truly be new civilizations. The only thing that I'm having a hard time with so far is "The Burn". I don't know how they're going to explain this phenomenon. It'll need to be good, because how can something affect everything in the galaxy all at the same time?

On the flip side though, it feels like the crew are really fitting into their characters now. I'm liking the refined Saru and Tilly! And Reno just cracks me up! :D
    I think Booke will be a good addition to the crew also.

I look forward to seeing how this unfolds. I think it was very good giving them a new millennium to work within. And in episode 3 I liked their first step towards rebuilding what the Federation stood for. Negotiating peace between two factions was a good move!
  • I found a possible discontinuity in Ep1. When Booke says "The Gorn ripped a hole in subspace", and Burnham replies "The Gorn?"

Burnham shouldn't know about the Gorn, since they weren't introduced (in the Prime universe) until Kirk & crew discovered them decades later.

It could be just a "The who now?" on Burnham's part precisely because she never heard of the Gorn. Not necessarily a discontinuity.

I also really like the season so far. But it seems they are setting out to "rectify" whatever lead to the burn. As dystopian as this future seems it would be a shame to have all of this be a long unreal nightmare in the end.
  • I think they copped out as to the introduction to the Trill character. I'd read that everyone was hoping it was going to be Dax. I must say, so was I.
  • Do we know if the Federation flag is akin to the EU flag, where the stars are just decoration and do not represent anything.
    Or is the Federation flag akin to the US flag where the stars represent individual states/ member planets?
    The Federation flag was a derivative of the United Nations' flag
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched the first two episodes and its nice to see some actual Star Trekkin' here!

Ok, production still has some Star Wars people in it. We actually visited a Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy! Complete with a Smuggler with a Heart of Gold and his giant, furry friend. Still HanchesterSoloBlack is a pretty cool guy and he's pretty good in a gun fight.

Ok, a proper Trek show would've had our Intrepid Starfleet Officer talk her way out of trouble but at least we get a thin glimmer of hope for a brighter future.

Episode two was also pretty cool. Jett has really mean to Stamets. Its what we all wanted. Stamets included.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loved this week's episode :)
  • [DSEF] Cpt.Rampo[DSEF] Cpt.Rampo ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    just watched episode 5 like 10min ago...
    first: even if they shine blue in the future,i dont like windows in the bridge...
    I just can't get there

but anyway,short after we saw the voyager-j (with a nice little sound-homage),right at 5min28sec just press pause and read the name of the ship on the left...
    *goose bumps*

EDIT: i know this one is in every forum like one minute after the episode went live,but i dont read like news,they often have the spoilers right in the headline,and i really like to find out "easter eggs" myself. after 5years idc anymore and read about them,but this one i just found out and feel like christmas as a 5year old child:D
  • I don't get why Disco got an 'A'. It's the same ship retrofitted. The Motion Picture Enterprise never got an 'A'. The ship that came after got that (the renamed Yorktown)
  • Terra Firma Part 1 was probably my favorite of season 3 so far!!
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Terra Firma Part 1 was probably my favorite of season 3 so far!!

For me it was the weakest episode so far. Didn t get me.
    And the old man and secret door storyline was just redicilious.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • edited December 2020
    Terra Firma Part 1 was probably my favorite of season 3 so far!!

For me it was the weakest episode so far. Didn t get me.
    And the old man and secret door storyline was just redicilious.

It was the Mirror stuff for me, and i’ve seen some speculation that he is a Q... not sure about that one but who knows. I’m looking forward to them explaining it. It was also a very Georgiou heavy episode, she technically isn’t main cast so maybe that wasn’t a highlight for you but she’s one of my favorites on the show (if not my #1 favorite) :smiley: 🖖🖖

Captain Level 99

• When I saw Paul Guilfoyle <3<3<3 I was a big fan of CSI back in the day, it was such a joy to see him again!
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • When I saw Paul Guilfoyle <3<3<3 I was a big fan of CSI back in the day, it was such a joy to see him again!

Afterwards I couldn't help but think that the CSI theme song, "Who Are You?" was very fitting!
  • Afterwards I couldn't help but think that the CSI theme song, "Who Are You?" was very fitting!

Haha! Or - dare I say it - "Q are you???" :s:D

Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Afterwards I couldn't help but think that the CSI theme song, "Who Are You?" was very fitting!

Haha! Or - dare I say it - "Q are you???" :s:D

We shall C(arl)!
  • I was hoping to see Lucius Malfoy.
    Nice to see Landry again.
    Didn't Mirror Staments survive originally? I'm sure we saw him in season one.
  • edited December 2020
    I was hoping to see Lucius Malfoy.
    Nice to see Landry again.
    Didn't Mirror Staments survive originally? I'm sure we saw him in season one.

I’m crossing my fingers for a surprise Lorca visit in part 2 :wink:
    Yes he did, but I think the whole premise is for Georgiou to rewrite her past......so who knows lol

Captain Level 99

• Which is interesting. Because if it's not a "holodeck" and she is actually rewriting the past, then what if Lucius never crosses into the prime universe? Will Burnham still be languishing in prison at the end of season 3?!
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Carl...is...THE GUARDIAN OF FOREVER!

Never saw that coming. Though after the reveal it only makes total sense. I also love that Wil Weaton went total geeked out fanboy like I did when he saw THE GUARDIAN OF FOREVER!

Okay WRG writers... you have some pretty juicy tidbits from this past couple weeks Disco to work with, for future events and episodes. Let's get on it! ;)
  • BTW - Mirror Ariam without "enhancements" or Augmentation was awesome to see, if only for a brief second. Now we need her with the rest of the missing Mirror Universe crew in the game!
  • BTW - Mirror Ariam without "enhancements" or Augmentation was awesome to see, if only for a brief second. Now we need her with the rest of the missing Mirror Universe crew in the game!

hlat2ecz8tuk.jpeg

Yes please!

Captain Level 99

• edited December 2020
    BTW - Mirror Ariam without "enhancements" or Augmentation was awesome to see, if only for a brief second. Now we need her with the rest of the missing Mirror Universe crew in the game!

hlat2ecz8tuk.jpeg

Yes please!

That's the actor that played Airiam in season one. That is not Airiam in this episode. Airiam in this episode is played by the actor that played Airiam in season 2, she appears on the bridge. Does that make sense?

BEHOLD!
  • edited December 2020
    BTW - Mirror Ariam without "enhancements" or Augmentation was awesome to see, if only for a brief second. Now we need her with the rest of the missing Mirror Universe crew in the game!

hlat2ecz8tuk.jpeg

Yes please!

That's the actor that played Airiam in season one. That is not Airiam in this episode. Airiam in this episode is played by the actor that played Airiam in season 2, she appears on the bridge. Does that make sense?

BEHOLD!

Yes it does! In the picture it’s Mirror Culber and Nilsson

Here’s Ariam sitting beside Killy....

9scmhb4imy0k.jpeg

Captain Level 99

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve finally gotten caught up with Disco (and Lower Decks) and I have to say the show seems to finally be hitting its stride. The writers still have Burnham crying too much and aren’t giving us nearly enough Sassy Jett Reno airtime, but the plot and character development has been excellent so far. They expertly balanced the need to forge a new, less-constrained path for the story with references and callbacks to past shows (my jaw dropped when the Guardian of Forever revealed itself in its full glory) and gave us some much-needed resolution to the Burnham/Georgiou relationship.

One tiny, minor hitch for me: Discovery got new combadge/tricorder/transporter/holo-PADDs for everyone but they’re stuck in the same uniforms? I know past shows have been somewhat loose in terms of uniform selection (as evidenced by the number of r/DaystromInstitute posts on the subject) but I can’t think of a really solid in-universe reason why the crew wouldn’t get new uniforms as well as all of the other upgrades. If I’m Admiral Vance, I would be trying to integrate the Discovery crew as much as possible with the rest of Starfleet (while keeping them physically stationed on the same vessel for various reasons), and matching uniforms would be a simple way to do exactly that.

If I am Admiral Vance, I would probably also assign some extra crew to help keep Discovery properly staffed (80-90 crew is apparently only about half of the maximum crew complement), to aid in the maintenance and repair of the various systems added during the refit, and to get practical experience with spore drive operations.