Home The Bridge
Options

Replicator Idea (Mostly Joking)

Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
Throughout all the various Star Trek shows we are regularly shown just how much energy the replicators and transporters require. The best example I can give is the Deep Space Nine episode "Our Man Bashir" where Dax, Kira, O'Brien, Sisko, and Worf are in a shuttle that is about to explode and are beamed into the station's transporter with an emergency beam out. They are unable to re-materialize and are forced to remain in the system's buffers indefinitely, and it takes all of the resources for the ENTIRE station to keep *FIVE* patterns active in the buffers. An entire space station brought to its knees by the energy required to keep five transport patterns in the buffers. That is a tremendous amount of energy.

With that in mind, here is my idea; rather than only having the option to dismiss unneeded/redundant crew for honor, maybe also give us the ability to feed them into a "faulty" *wink* transporter pad, have their patterns get "lost" *cough* in the system, and then when all hope is lost and all "efforts" *knowing glance* have been exhausted the only course left is to make sure their "sacrifice" is not wasted by feeding their energy into a replicator to turn their legacy into something useful.

Think about it, Captain Kirk needs yet another set of legendary boxing gloves? Have the two Acting Ensign Wesley Crushers you picked up on your last voyage "accidentally" get fed into the "faulty" transporter only to become a pair of boxing gloves! Heck, given how much energy in this equation, it may only take ONE Wesley to make the boxing gloves!

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not say evil, I would say pragmatic. Let's face it, pests like Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher reproduce like tribbles; you dismiss two, three more take their place.

You want to make the case that their lives are somehow sacred and should not be used as fuel, I would counter that the very existence of a seemingly infinite number of them is proof of the contrary; their lives are counterfeit. You find several, sell them to Orions for "honor", and then you find even more! You can have dozens of the same exact crew on your roster at the same time, which is the original? Say you "misplace" a few, the next minute 10 more might re-appear from inside the time portal!

Corporations have a Human Resources department, all I'm saying is that we take a more literal interpretation of this idea and turn unwanted crew into LITERAL human resources!

Think about it, you "dismiss" (people joke that when they dismiss a crew they are shoving them out an airlock, you tell ME what is a more humane death, going out an airlock into the vacuum of space or a controlled transition from matter into energy and then back into a dom-jot cue or pile of poker chips?!) a crew member for a pittance of so-called honor which you can then spend in a store for replicator rations, all I'm suggesting is we cut out the middle-man and be more efficient about things!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evil.

But funny and well argued. And yes, your idea is probably more humain than airlocking them. But still brutal and wrong. Of course, callously airlocking them is also wrong, so why not benefit?

I don't need more replicator fuel, but I have in the past.

Rationale aside, you are funny.
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    =====SCENARIO #1=====

Prisoner Michael Burnham: "Thank you for the rescue, I look forward to being a productive member of your crew."

CAPTAIN: "Actually, you are being 'dismissed'. I need Honor to buy a new shiny, and dismissing you is considered honorable apparently."

Prisoner Michael Burnham: "Can we talk about this? What does this process entail anyway?"

CAPTAIN: "No one can say for certain, but most experts believe it involves shoving people out of an airlock into the vacuum of space. I'm sure you'll be fine."

Prisoner Michael Burnham: "Well actually, that is not only 100% fatal but is an excruciatingly painful death."

CAPTAIN: "Oooh, tough break! Now, will you kindly stand in here for a moment?"

=====SCENARIO #2=====

CMO Bashir: "Boy, am I glad to see a crew of friendly faces, it's been quite an ordeal out here in the vast expanse waiting for rescue."

CAPTAIN: "It is an honor to be able to rescue someone of your great historic significance. Is there anything we can get for you?"

CMO Bashir: "Well I hesitate to ask but I have been out here a long time. I have lost all my equipment and could really benefit from as much training as you can spare, I fear my knowledge and skill have eroded while awaiting rescue."

CAPTAIN: "Absolutely, standby, we will bring you everything you asked for."

CMO Bashir: "Thank you so much Captain, it feels tremendous to have all my equipment back, and to know I am once again fully trained! I'm ready to return to duty, what are your orders, Sir?"

CAPTAIN: "I need you to come with me to this giant industrial freezer."

CMO Bashir: "Oh dear, was somebody injured in a freezer accident? Do we suspect hypothermia?!"

CAPTAIN: "No, I am going to freeze you forever in here. I'm sorry Doctor, but if I keep you frozen in here forever I can get a handful of dilithium and having you in here will make all my other medical people 1% better at their jobs."

CMO Bashir: "This is appalling!"

CAPTAIN: "Your objection is noted and should you accidentally be released from the freezer someday you are certainly able to file a grievance, but for now won't you be a good sport and come with me, please?"

=====SCENARIO #3=====

Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher: "That temporal anomaly is intense, I was in there with six other Acting Ensign Wesley Crushers! Thank you for the rescue BTW."

CAPTAIN: "Shut up, Wesley! I need you to stand on this transporter, your destiny is to become 43% of a one star science experiment."

Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher: "Why are you doing this?!"

CAPTAIN: "Would you rather spend eternity in a freezer or get shoved out an airlock? At least this way you will be making a contribution, your sacrifice will be noble and meaningful. Besides, I went to the Academy with a couple officers from the Enterprise D who were not at all happy with working for 8 years to earn their posting only to be replaced by an uppity, know-it-all, punk kid. I kind of owe those folks, so if you don't mind...."

Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher #2: "Oh geez, well I hope they turn me into a bowl of gagh."

Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher #3: "I'm sure they will, this new Fleet Commander Martok seems to need quite a few of them, they are only available from the KCA shop, and everyone's shuttles are needed elsewhere for the current event!"

You are amazing. I love this so much. #2 in particular.
    "Thanks Captain, I've been stuffed into that box in an acidic stream for months now, can I get some counseling from Deanna to deal with the trauma?"

"Sorry Tom, I've got no space. I'll have to show you the airlock. At least it will be quick, mmm? "

Also good.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    cfnfrssmkip3.jpg
    u2rzb68ai8qu.jpg

That is perfect! Some of the extra crew becomes food, and some can become the packaging! THIS IS JUST SENTIENT RECYCLING PEOPLE!
  • Options
    Nvm recycling them, can anyone clarify how fusing them together helps them be better? :o
  • Options
    Elynduil wrote: »
    Nvm recycling them, can anyone clarify how fusing them together helps them be better? :o

Think of it like computers. A quad-core is better than just a standard. 😀
  • Options
    I , for one, would like to see some other use than airlocking suplus crew. I'm getting tired of repairing my deflector dish from all the frozen corpse damage inccurred, especially when returning to my Star Base. Not to mention that , not unlike the late 20th and early 21st century problem of 'plastic islands' , it seems that due to gravitaonal eddies and warp wakes there are 'Wesley Islands' forming throughout the quadrant. Aside from the hazard to navigation, do we REALLY want one of these accumulations of excess Wesleys to reach critcal mass? I'm not sure about you but I'm not sanguine about a proto-star forming in the midst of a highly traveled star route.

You could always go the route of the TOS episode "A Taste of Armageddon". Don't airlock, install disintegration machines.
  • Options
    This is the meanest thread I've seen on the forums. :(
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    This is my favorite thread, too.
  • Options
    I’m afraid I’m too “old school” with my surplus crew... buh-bye 1* Ensign Kim...

6tj00vf3y57m.gif

I suspect the writers of that episode got an equal amount of guilty pleasure from that airlocking as you did... :smirk:
  • Options
    [...]
    And what about the psychological damage you have just done to the Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher that remains behind on that transporter pad?! He will have to live with the knowledge that not only was he deemed inadequate enough to require augmenting just to be useful but also that another life was brutally and irrevocably destroyed to make those changes!
    [...]

Well, to be fair, how much self-worth can you really have after a nostalgic Ferengi traded you away because he valued tube grubs more highly than you?
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this mean you wouldn't be interested in hearing about my next idea of duct taping unwanted crew to the hulls of our ships to grant minuscule armor bonuses in space battles? I realize a human body won't be able to do much to stop an anti-matter explosion, but I figure with a couple hundred uncommon crew strapped to strategic locations like the plasma exhaust ports and surrounding the cannons and torpedo tubes we could probably achieve a 0.04% percent increase in combat effectiveness, and that could make a difference when warping a specific mission or the 21st time that day to try and get a 4* sensor to give a more useful crew member a slight equipment bonus.

Submarines have used debris to serve as chaff to evade pursuit.

At least in the movies.

But I'm liking the forward thinking. We need to find more productive uses when throwing out perfectly healthy useless crew.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flemming wrote: »

Does this mean you wouldn't be interested in hearing about my next idea of duct taping unwanted crew to the hulls of our ships to grant minuscule armor bonuses in space battles? I realize a human body won't be able to do much to stop an anti-matter explosion, but I figure with a couple hundred uncommon crew strapped to strategic locations like the plasma exhaust ports and surrounding the cannons and torpedo tubes we could probably achieve a 0.04% percent increase in combat effectiveness, and that could make a difference when warping a specific mission or the 21st time that day to try and get a 4* sensor to give a more useful crew member a slight equipment bonus.

Submarines have used debris to serve as chaff to evade pursuit.

At least in the movies.

But I'm liking the forward thinking. We need to find more productive uses when throwing out perfectly healthy useless crew.

The Romulan commander chucked his dead buddy out the airlock along with debris to try to fool Kirk that he had been destroyed...
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flemming wrote: »

The Romulan commander chucked his dead buddy out the airlock along with debris to try to fool Kirk that he had been destroyed...

Not to mention that nasty bit of business in a Star Trek: Discovery episode, where they
    planted a bomb inside one of the Klingon corpses floating in space after a battle, so when the Klingons went to collect their dead, their ship would be disabled.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"