Home Ready Room

Newbie Questions

Comments

• Actually I think I've just worked that out :)
    I so rarely play on my laptop & the writing is so small on my phone I miss some of the finer details.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    From what I understand, it's based on a combination of the number of posts and the number of awesomes you receive. Or maybe just posts. Or awesomes. (Or maybe by how much you like Bill Murray movies.)

tenor.gif

I can confirm that 4 stars in the forum arrives at 500 points. (Just awarded this morning)
    I have 306 comments, 7 Discussions and 416 Awesomes. And I now have 501 points.

Intentionally Left Blank
  • ZorkZork ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Crazy Ivan wrote: »
    Thank you, there's some really useful information on there. I couldn't seem to find how to tell what triggers a ship has or how to activate the trigger during battle though.

Try Captain’s Guide: Starship Battles in Star Trek Timelines
    Which is part of STAR TREK TIMELINES Cadet's Manual
  • FlayFlay ✭✭✭
    After you tap on "change battle stations" in the arena, you can tap the battle station to see if it activates one of these effects, for example "Grants Cloaked status" or "Grants Position status".
    Outside of the arena, the only way is to tap and hold the battle station during a fight, this also displays the information.

Not every ship has one of these abilities, for example your starter ship (constellation class) has a battle station for increasing evasion and one for increasing accuracy, but neither of them grants a trigger status.
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
  • Bear in mind when using a trigger based crew strategy that you will lose cloaked status as soon as you use the first crew while cloaked. So you cannot use multiple crew at the same(ish) time based on cloaked but you can with position and boarding. Not sure if bonuses to boarding damage stack or you just get the best.
  • For example, a trigger using cloak would cause the cloak to cease, so it's best then to activate your cloak, wait a couple of seconds until its a couple of seconds from dropping and then activate the crew member.

I didn't know that. I assumed they both worked for the duration and never noticed that the crew cancelled cloak for example. There's usually so much else going on.
  • How do I send crew or Inventory as gifts to other players?
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I send crew or Inventory as gifts to other players?

You don't. They do not allow it.
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much of a nice idea it would be, it would be SO vulnerable to abuse, with multiple accounts being made etc.

I think the cons would far outweigh the pros
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Hi all. I'm a former GOTA player and new to STT. I Like it a lot, but ran into a problem. I tried to link my mobile game to FB and lost my main game.(capt. level 20) Can't get it back on I-pad or FB. Just new FB game on both. I put in a ticket but thought I would see if someone has a workaround. Thanks.
  • Henning1105Henning1105 ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi guys. I am also a former GOTA player and new to STT - with a few questions:
    Can I freeze more than one duplicate of a crew after I immotalized it?
    Would those frozen duplicates count towards the Immortalizing Achievement? (or does only the first one count towards that)
    Further thought: if I can freeze duplicates, can I unfreeze them too?

Secondly: how does the "default" sorting in of the crew works? On what criteria is it based? It never shows me the crew members on top that I want/like.

Thanks a lot for your answers and a Merry Christmas!
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys. I am also a former GOTA player and new to STT - with a few questions:
    Can I freeze more than one duplicate of a crew after I immotalized it?

Welcome to STT! Yes, you can freeze multiple copies of the same crew.
    Would those frozen duplicated count towards the Immortalizing Achievement? (or does only the first one count towards that)

They all count. Early on, I immortalized duplicates of several 1* and 2* crew, just to get closer to the next achievement.
    Further thought: if I can freeze duplicates, can I unfreeze them too?

This also works. However, in the cryo chamber, it'll only show you the one copy. I personally keep a spreadsheet of all my crew, which helps me to keep track of them all, including the duplicates.
    Secondly: how does the "default" sorting in of the crew works? On what criteria it is based? It never shows me the crew members on top that I want/like.

Eh, it's kinda random. (I assume you're talking about the sorting in crew quarters here.) I mean, initially, it's based on the highest-ranked crew at the top, but within those ranks, the order is different every time. Best thing to do when you want to have easy access to certain crew is to favorite them, then they go right to the top.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    ... I personally keep a spreadsheet of all my crew, which helps me to keep track of them all, including the duplicates...
    Thanks for the very fast explanation - and the good tips. Spreadsheet it is then ;)
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... I personally keep a spreadsheet of all my crew, which helps me to keep track of them all, including the duplicates...
    Thanks for the very fast explanation - and the good tips. Spreadsheet it is then ;)

NP. If it helps, here's how mine is structured (though I kinda wish now that I'd added columns for skill proficiency and not just base stats). The color-coding is an easy way to differentiate rank. All columns are sortable, and in the Traits column I can just filter for text and easily find all the crew in my roster who are bonus crew in an event, for example.

lrv53tx469y6.jpg

• Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crew Quarters Default Sort appears to be:

Favorited>Equip/Upgrade Available>Level>Rarity>Fusions

After that, not sure what the next level of sort criteria is. It’s not alphabetical or by number of equipped items.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Crew Quarters Default Sort appears to be:

Favorited>Equip/Upgrade Available>Level>Rarity>Fusions

After that, not sure what the next level of sort criteria is. It’s not alphabetical or by number of equipped items.

Right. That is a much more complete answer than the one I gave, thanks. :)

• Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ailasor wrote: »
    So i have a newbie question of sorts... signed up to the forum but have not come on here much. I wanted to post an ad for a newbie fleet I have started. How soon until it lets me?

You need a certain number of "awesomes" before the forum determines that you are not a spambot and allows you to create posts. I gave you one; a few more and you should be able to post in fleet central.
  • @XScottishX once you get more recognition such as having your comments awesomed and make more comments, you go up a level and can create posts
  • Interested to know more about buy-ons
    And also I'm playing on Android I believe there is a PC based platform is this correct and is there any beneficial gains to be had if this is so.
    Thanks in advance

**Any players local to Glasgow/Scotland care to share any insights (for any translation issues lol)
  • XScottishX wrote: »
    Interested to know more about buy-ons
    And also I'm playing on Android I believe there is a PC based platform is this correct and is there any beneficial gains to be had if this is so.

Not sure what you mean by "buy-ons", but if it's the stuff you can buy in the game, I believe the most popular are the monthly dilithium cards and buying packs that appear for sale every week. Those are the ways most people tend to spend I think, but I'm not a paying player so I don't honestly know.

There is a Steam and a Facebook browser-based version of the game. I know players like this as they will have spreadsheets and so on open to work out their best crew, etc. But I'm far more casual so I just play on my phone or tablet. Doubt there is any major advantage in any case.
  • XScottishX wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by "buy-ons", but if it's the stuff you can buy in the game, I believe the most popular are the monthly dilithium cards and buying packs that appear for sale every week. Those are the ways most people tend to spend I think, but I'm not a paying player so I don't honestly know.

There is a Steam and a Facebook browser-based version of the game. I know players like this as they will have spreadsheets and so on open to work out their best crew, etc. But I'm far more casual so I just play on my phone or tablet. Doubt there is any major advantage in any case.

Just about covers my questions thank you
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XScottishX wrote: »
    XScottishX wrote: »

Just about covers my questions thank you

I find that playing on the computer (Steam for me) is a lot faster, even compared to using my device on my home WiFi. It can make a difference in Skirmish and Galaxy events, where you are trying to get as many battles played or recipes built as you can within the time you're playing. The downside is that you don't get ads there, so no double-rewards on away missions, no free scans or free Dabo spins, and no ad warps.

And yes, the monthly card which gives you 100 Dilithium a day is the best deal in the game. You can build up pretty quickly and get yourself extra shuttles or event packs after a few weeks. Just know that buying that can be a "gateway drug", lol — you may suddenly find yourself unable to resist spending money on lots of other special offers that pop up, and before you know it, you're VIP 14. 🤓

• Data1001 wrote: »
    I find that playing on the computer (Steam for me) is a lot faster, even compared to using my device on my home WiFi.
    Is that in terms of the animations, the load screens, etc? I never knew that, might try out the game on steam next event to see what difference it makes.

Just know that buying that can be a "gateway drug", lol — you may suddenly find yourself unable to resist spending money on lots of other special offers that pop up, and before you know it, you're VIP 14. 🤓
    This^^^^^ 😂😂😂😂😂 I don't want to get into the spiral of addiction here! But you get what you pay for - higher VIP has all sorts of advantages and kudos to the players willing to pay as they keep the game afloat. I watch all the ads I can for double rewards, etc as I know that also helps the company. I don't expect to ever hit top 1k in events but depending on event type I can be competitive, such as for hybrid Galaxy or Skirmish I aim for 3 copies of the purple in the ranked rewards so I can compete the crew from the free copy in the community awards. Of course, this takes some planning in terms of building up a chroniton base to play with.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that playing on the computer (Steam for me) is a lot faster, even compared to using my device on my home WiFi.
    Is that in terms of the animations, the load screens, etc? I never knew that, might try out the game on steam next event to see what difference it makes.

Honestly I'm not sure, but I think one reason may be that (for me, anyway) going through WiFi is slightly slower than a direct Internet connection. Most likely the fact that my device isn't rendering things nearly as quickly as my computer makes a big difference, as well.

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I'm not sure, but I think one reason may be that (for me, anyway) going through WiFi is slightly slower than a direct Internet connection. Most likely the fact that my device isn't rendering things nearly as quickly as my computer makes a big difference, as well.

I remember running an Internet speed test on my phone a while back and then my computer, and the results were quite different. Even over an 802.11ac network from about three feet away, my phone was getting a little over 1/3 the speed that my computer was getting via Ethernet cable from the same router.
  • Ward SerpentineWard Serpentine ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I find that playing on the computer (Steam for me) is a lot faster, even compared to using my device on my home WiFi. It can make a difference in Skirmish and Galaxy events, where you are trying to get as many battles played or recipes built as you can within the time you're playing. The downside is that you don't get ads there, so no double-rewards on away missions, no free scans or free Dabo spins, and no ad warps.

And yes, the monthly card which gives you 100 Dilithium a day is the best deal in the game. You can build up pretty quickly and get yourself extra shuttles or event packs after a few weeks. Just know that buying that can be a "gateway drug", lol — you may suddenly find yourself unable to resist spending money on lots of other special offers that pop up, and before you know it, you're VIP 14. 🤓

If you want to play on the PC but still get the Android features, you can download and install an Android emulator.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to play on the PC but still get the Android features, you can download and install an Android emulator.

I should really try that, just to get the ad warps. I installed KOPLAYER to play ST Fleet Command on my PC, and it works great (or I should say, "it worked great" — seeing as I haven't played that game in several weeks now).