Home The Bridge
Options

An appeal to the community to help #STOPMACROS

[GoT] Gabe [GoT] Gabe ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in The Bridge
Hello STT community.

Yes, as you can tell from the title, this is yet another Macro thread but with a slightly different twist. However, before we get to that, let me take a minute to introduce myself since I don't regularly post on the forum.

My name is Gabe. I am the Admiral of the Guardians of Tomorrow and I have been playing Timelines practically since launch without pauses or interruptions because, well, I love this game and, despite it being far from perfect, I still get a lot of enjoyment from it, in particular the camaraderie I have with my Fleet mates.

As a veteran of Timelines, I've seen and experienced it all, both in terms of game features as well as DB's administration of this game.

There have been a lot of great enhancements to this game over the years and nice bonuses from time to time (the recent additions to collections and achievements for example) that definitely deserve applause.

However, one thing that hasn't really improved over all this time is DB's general management of this game. Lack of communication, not only with the community but even among DB employees, and slow response time to major game issues are probably the two most critical concerns players have had with DB since day one. No more evident than how they have been handling the macro issue in Skirmish Events since they first appeared months ago.

I'm certain many of the forum regulars are quite aware of the macro issue and have seen and read the different threads that have popped up but for those who may not be so informed, let me walk you through the major predicament we are facing.

What is a macro?

A macro in STT is a program/software/app or Bot that is pre-programed to do all the all the necessary button pushing in an Event like Skirmishes where the sequence of taps that a player has to perform are exactly the same over the course of the Event's entirety, thus allowing for continuous game play during said Event without the player actually having to play much, if at all.

These automated programs allow players to reap the rewards of placing in a particular rank with little or no effort.

How do you know macros are being used in STT?

Macros are easily detectable through simple observation because they will accumulate the same number of points over the same period of time without any variation. For example, accumulating exactly 100 000 vp points every hour continuously over the course of an extended period of time.

These programs are intentionally set up to run through the missions at a much slower rate than an actual human because, despite maintaining the exact same crew and ship and running the exact same mission against the exact same opponent's ship, missions will vary in length due to RNG, and so these macros need to be programmed with this unknown variable in mind.

Over the course of different Skirmish Events, members of the community began gathering this points per hour information from the top 50 players and inputting the results into charts and graphs thus allowing for a more effective analysis of the data. Thank you, by the way, to all those who have done this arduous data collection. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

The graph below is an example of some of the data accumulated from the last Skirmish Event: A Valdore Too Far.

Players names have intentionally been left off the graph since it goes against forum policy but since we will be referring several times throughout this thread to the player who used a macro to win the last Event (blue line in graph), we shall call him CaptainMacro (a completely fictional name invented by me) for the purpose of this exercise.

uzxeee0vcsi1.png

As you can clearly see, there are two types of lines: 1) straight lines, indicative of a macro being used, due to the constant and consistent accumulation of the same number of vp points over a large period of time, and 2) squiggly or bumpy lines indicative of a human playing the game because .... well .... humans are not machines and can not perform the same task and achieve exactly the same results over any amount of time.

Besides the basic human necessities of sleeping, eating, using the bathroom, etc., there are other real life factors, like fatigue, adrenaline, distraction, interference from people or pets, etc, that can affect a player's performance and, as a result, the number of vp points (s)he gets every hour.

So while a real life player can be faster and more efficient than a macro in terms of getting vp points per hour, reaching as high as let's say 150 000 to 175 000, these numbers will always vary from hour to hour due to the factors previously mentioned and so their lines in the graph will always look wavy.

A macro, however, is not affected by any human condition and thus will amass vp points steadily and consistently; hence the practically straight line with only small breaks resulting from the macro being turned off due to various factors like the player needing to run ship missions in order to farm intel or there being a power outage to name but a few.

I'm not a top 50 player, nor have aspirations to be one, so why should I care? This doesn't affect me.

The fact is that if even just one player uses a macro it can potentially affect every other player who participated in the Event and not just the top players. No-one can truly know what the consequences are and who was directly affected due to the uncertainty of where the player would have ranked if they hadn't used a macro.

Take for example CaptainMacro in the last Skirmish Event.

Obviously their winning the Event through the use of a macro would seem to impact the 2nd place player the most, in this case my Fleet member Foolio, but what about the player who finished 6th and 26th and got robbed of one less 5 star crew as a reward. Can we really say they were less impacted?

What if CaptainMacro hadn't had much time or patience to play in the Event and had placed outside the top 1000? In this scenario, the player who finished 1001st was robbed of a 5 star crew. Are they any less impacted?

Imagine CaptainMacro had had practically no time to play and had ranked 10 000th This would have affected players on the cusp of moving up a reward tier meaning they got less single pulls. What if one of those extra pulls they could have gotten had been a legendary behold?

Obviously we'll never know what the actual consequences were but one thing is for sure ... it wasn't just the top players who were affected.

Unfortunately, players in the top 50 are not the only ones who use macros. They are simply the most visual to all of the community making it easy to track their vp gains per hour. However, a smart player, or one with less ego, would know to stay out of the limelight and keep quiet about their macro use. Now imagine, if 1% of the player base participating in a Skirmish Event use macros, the ramifications of this would be incalculable.

Does macro use go against DB's Terms of Service?

It absolutely does.

This is the specific excerpt from the ToS that refers to this :

In furtherance of the foregoing, and by way of example and not as a limitation, you agree that you may not access or use the Disruptor Beam Sites or Services in order to:
- Use, develop or distribute "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications in violation of the applicable License Agreements.

The Guardians of Tomorrow
Protecting the Galaxy's Future from Itself
Fleet Admiral

For more info on us, check our wiki page:
https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Fleet_Guardians_of_Tomorrow

GoT Bot server: https://discord.gg/R8QzpjW
All are welcome to join and use the Bot.

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will pass this information on to my fleet, thank you for this amazingly well written thread :)
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now with a new name hopefully?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding stop macros to your name won’t kick anyone in the pants. Money talks. I thought you were about to call everyone to a boycott this skirmish event rally. I am impressed with your post and absolutely agree that it must be stopped. Your post was so intelligent I was very excited you had a good solution to present but adding a hashtag to our name was pretty anti-climactic
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    DB is trying to stop macros but I am not sure what they are supposed to do to stop them. Not without causing huge problems for regular players playing the game without macros. Sadly cheating exists in almost every mobile game. I don't condone it and hope that DB can stop it but short of stopping all skirmishes or putting in a million annoying prompts we have to click through we will likely just have to live with it and hope the cheaters are not too numerous. But honestly I don't see much difference between the mega whales and the macroists. Both are doing what the vast majority of players cannot. And it is unclear how many mega whales are macroists as well. Using macros would not create chrons. People using it would have to spend tons of money to get those chrons. And event scores at the top are ever increasing, never hitting a threshold. If the whales want DB to stop the macroists then the best way to do that is for the top 15 every event to have to show their work somehow to DB and how they are getting such high scores so that DB can rule them out and kick the cheaters. If the non cheating whales showed how they got such high scores it would give DB much valuable information on patterns and what scores are possible and make DB better able to prevent future cheating. I doubt the whales are willing to do that but if they were then I think DB could quickly assess who was cheating and who wasn't.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but as you yourself said in your initial post, while macros are indeed an issue, they do only affect a very limited number of players. Most people aren't stupid enough to want to use them, since they could be permanently booted from the game if caught. The ones that are stupid enough just don't amount to very many. Yes, they may usurp one or two players from getting a very high rank — and that's unfortunate and wrong — but again, it's just not something that the vast majority of players should be concerned about. DB should be concerned about it, definitely; I just think there's been a lot of "Chicken Littleism" surrounding this issue here in the forums, when there are a lot more things which do affect a wider subset of people that are far more worthy of one's lobbying and appeal to justice than this.

But that's just one Trekkie's opinion, and as I said, I know many (and possibly most) of you will no doubt vehemently disagree.

mI75Qxj.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB is trying to stop macros but I am not sure what they are supposed to do to stop them. Not without causing huge problems for regular players playing the game without macros. Sadly cheating exists in almost every mobile game. I don't condone it and hope that DB can stop it but short of stopping all skirmishes or putting in a million annoying prompts we have to click through we will likely just have to live with it and hope the cheaters are not too numerous. But honestly I don't see much difference between the mega whales and the macroists. Both are doing what the vast majority of players cannot. And it is unclear how many mega whales are macroists as well. Using macros would not create chrons. People using it would have to spend tons of money to get those chrons. And event scores at the top are ever increasing, never hitting a threshold. If the whales want DB to stop the macroists then the best way to do that is for the top 15 every event to have to show their work somehow to DB and how they are getting such high scores so that DB can rule them out and kick the cheaters. If the non cheating whales showed how they got such high scores it would give DB much valuable information on patterns and what scores are possible and make DB better able to prevent future cheating. I doubt the whales are willing to do that but if they were then I think DB could quickly assess who was cheating and who wasn't.

I think you’re on to something there. Can’t they see how long a person is actually online? Cuz a macro doesn’t require actually being online does it? Kinda like how people that work from home have to check in somehow and show they are online?
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Adding stop macros to your name won’t kick anyone in the pants. Money talks. I thought you were about to call everyone to a boycott this skirmish event rally. I am impressed with your post and absolutely agree that it must be stopped. Your post was so intelligent I was very excited you had a good solution to present but adding a hashtag to our name was pretty anti-climactic

Honestly the thought crossed my mind. Not just boycotting this Event but all others to follow as well as asking people to not spend money on the game until the issue was resolved but who am I to ask people, the majority of them strangers to me, to do this.

Most people wouldn't have gone along with this idea to begin with, even if it were for just one Event, and the few that did would have suffered the consequences since Events are now inter-connected by the 5* ranked reward.

The idea to keep it simple is so that everyone can easily join in the campaign and thus keep it going for an extended period of time. A boycott would have quickly ended and faded in people's memories.

I am a strong believer that actions speak louder than words but I also know that we live and breathe words and that they can light fires in the minds of people and move the greatest of obstacles.

In the words of writer Joseph Conrad, "my task, which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word, to make you hear, to make you feel--it is, before all, to make you see."
    Fleet Admiral

• Options
    SL128SL128 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    IMO, the issue greater than the macros is that this event type is tedious enough to encourage them (I haven't used any, by the way). Voyages and bonus rewards supply enough chronitons over time that it pushes time to be the limiting factor, rather than player resources and efficiency in using them. Macro usage should be penalized, but I would recommend two other additional changes:

1. Ticket costs should continue to scale after 1200 probably stopping 4x higher than that at 4800, if ever. This does not diminish the assistance a player gets from their skill, crew, ships, or resources; it only decreases the time required to play for rank.

2. In addition to decreasing the incentive to macro, the mode is annoying enough simply getting through thresholds. As such, VP rewards for highest difficulty should be increased (possibly corresponding with a difficulty increase), or at least scale with tickets spent.
  • Options
    Very well written, thank you for taking the time. I tried to start a similar thread right after the last Skirmish, and the entire thread got quashed, simply because I used the actual player name, calling it out as a macro user. BE CAREFUL of this, you might want to rename all what you have put forth as the user name, before Shan catches it in the morning and kills the thread.

In any case, this IS an important topic, and anyone uses a macro, (let's call it what it is – cheating!) should be blocked from the game, as the game rules are very explicit in this subject from the time you start playing. Yes, DB should be taking higher measures to "fix" this problem, so I am definitely on board with your suggestions!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about before every time you go into a skirmish you have to do one of those type these letters and numbers into a box to prove you are human
  • Options
    I agree, macros hurt us all. Even when the person using a macro doesn't get 1st place.
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!
  • Options
    Very well written, thank you for taking the time. I tried to start a similar thread right after the last Skirmish, and the entire thread got quashed, simply because I used the actual player name, calling it out as a macro user. BE CAREFUL of this, you might want to rename all what you have put forth as the user name, before Shan catches it in the morning and kills the thread.

Thank you for your concern but as I mentioned in the thread, CaptainMacro is not the real player's in game name. I invented it in order to make referring to this player easier.

I will however edit the post to make it clearer that this name is completely fictional.

Thank you for the support.

Fleet Admiral

• Options
    By running a huge campaign we do run the risk of bringing the use of macros to the attention of a wider number of players who may be emboldened by the fact that it appears DB has done very little stop them.

However, I am usually in favour of high profile campaigns that highlight issues and try to persuade those in charge to do something about them.

It really is up to DB to try and implement something more effective, and many players have thrown around lots of great ideas already to help them.

I am unsure why the 'macro killer' isn't working, it certainly popped up a lot when it was first introduced and so I don't see why it's vanished.

And I am pretty sure I have been potentially kicked off a ranking spot owing to macro use so yes the issue annoys the hell out of me.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support the spirit of this thread, but I mean, other than just not using a macro myself, I don't see a hell of a lot I can meaningfully do.
  • Options
    I think one make-good that might at least cut down on the aggravation for players who are actually playing versus cheating is to go back and grandfather the event-rank achievement to include ranks that were achieved prior to the institution of achievements.

That way people don't feel like they're getting screwed over twice by getting neither the rank achievements they're trying for now nor the rewards for the rank they would have gotten without the cheaters. I highly doubt that people who spent extra money or spent extra time trying to compete with macro cheaters will ever be made completely whole. We know DB have the individual ranks recorded all the way back to Unlikely Heroes (the 12th event), so grandfathering that achievement seems like a simple goodwill gesture to me.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support the spirit of this thread, but I mean, other than just not using a macro myself, I don't see a hell of a lot I can meaningfully do.

Same.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be both interesting and troubling to be in the same fleet with CaptainMacro. At a minimum, the fleet admiral is certainly aware that their fleet contains a cheater and it would stun me if it hasn't been discussed in-house. I'm sure CaptainMacro has a list of excuses as to why it's acceptable behavior to cheat the game. How does that fleet accept these arguments? Why is CaptainMacro not a) kicked out of the fleet, and b) directly reported to DB?

In our real lives, it can be hard to stand up for what is right in opposition to our friends, family, co-workers, etc. It really isn't quite as hard to do so in a virtual world in which most of us have never met each other. I would challenge every fleet that knows it has a cheater in their midst to do something about it. Do not harbor the cheater and do not simply look the other way. Take action.
  • Options
    This article has been shared to my fleet, SECTION 14. We are completely behind you guys with this and hope that it can make a difference. Big respect for the post
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    IT WOULD TAKE 30 SECONDS FOR DB TO FIX THIS.

This by removing the upper limit for Intel cost per skirmish.

I can't be bothered explaining why.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMM wrote: »
    IT WOULD TAKE 30 SECONDS FOR DB TO FIX THIS.

This by removing the upper limit for Intel cost per skirmish.

I can't be bothered explaining why.

It would certainly make it more expensive to macro (as well as making the event less rewarding, as a whole) but it does nothing to actively prevent people from macroing.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but as you yourself said in your initial post, while macros are indeed an issue, they do only affect a very limited number of players. Most people aren't stupid enough to want to use them, since they could be permanently booted from the game if caught. The ones that are stupid enough just don't amount to very many. Yes, they may usurp one or two players from getting a very high rank — and that's unfortunate and wrong — but again, it's just not something that the vast majority of players should be concerned about. DB should be concerned about it, definitely; I just think there's been a lot of "Chicken Littleism" surrounding this issue here in the forums, when there are a lot more things which do affect a wider subset of people that are far more worthy of one's lobbying and appeal to justice than this.

But that's just one Trekkie's opinion, and as I said, I know many (and possibly most) of you will no doubt vehemently disagree.

mI75Qxj.gif

Macros wouldn't be much of a problem if you know...DB would change the event reward structures to a percentage instead of a rigid number like most of us have been asking for months upon months now, maybe even nigh on a year now.

The game has tens of thousands of players now, possibly even up to a hundred thousand, a top 1000 reward structure is just an ill fit at this stage of the game. Macros possibly keep people from just inching by in the rigid number rank as has been said, but if the rewards were given on a rank of percentage, then macros will do less to freeze hard-working players out of hard-earned rewards.

A top 1% wherein the scope of the players that encompasses changes according to how many players participate in the event, is worlds more suitable and potentially achievable than a single solitary #1 spot or a limited 1000 spots. Macro usage will find it hard-put to knock truly deserving players out of that type of percentage-based ranking system. So DB, if you can't combat macro-users feasibly, then change the effectiveness of the macros altogether.

The number of event participants is about the same as it was more than a year ago.

I'm not sure how this does anything at all to address macros.

The only thing that it might do is make it so that the person at 801 (assuming a top 1% gets the gold type of reward structure, based on the number of participants in an event as collected by Roonis's alt account back in late spring/early summer 2018) gets gyped out of a gold instead of the person at 1001.

Or, let's say you want a top 2% reward structure. Great, now the person at 1601 gets cheated out of the gold.

I'm struggling to understand how that helps, is all.
  • Options
    Gabe, Thank you for taking the time to articulate a major concern for many of us. Hopefully this will be a catalyst for some sort of postive change from DB on this subject.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to make the battles interesting and interactive. Not a boring loop of the same 25 to 30 key presses for 96 hours straight.
    This is in essence the main problem. When a game becomes so mind numbingly dull no one in their right mind would make a push for the top spot unless they either a) are a robot or b) have no life. I can't devote the time to rank in skirmish events. I'm cool with that.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    The easiest way to prevent macro, and I know it's been mentioned before, create events that require thought in choices and actions. DB creates events that require zero thought, and encourages repetition to be successful.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.