Home The Bridge
Options

Threshold for re-run of Faction Events.

I am very surprised by Distributor Beam's decision to increase the faction threshold to 400K for re-run events. I know there has been a lot of people that have had issues lately but I have still tried to hold an opinion that they are trying to improve the game and keep things interesting...

But seriously... 400,000 VP for a faction event with limited bonus crew to get a legendary crew a few events ago wouldn't have even been the threshold reward. These characters still take up crew space and people need to make room for them if they don't have them. I am a spender and I completely believe in paying for a game that is enjoyable for people, but it seems like almost every decision lately has been to make events harder to rank without spending money.

If that is the way DB believes the best strategy to stay in business then great but I think it is going to backfire in the long run. Yesterday when Troi was offered for $9.99 purchase this peaked my interest but I held off because I am already a bit upset with the ways things are going. You saw little participation in phase 2 of the last event because the community didn't care at all about it and that is a first for me.

Faction events now in my opinion is a joke because it does require a big time commitment and a prayer that your 80% success shuttle won't fail 75% of the time. Many people don't like Galaxy Events and DB tried to change Skirmish events until there was another backlash, but we know the change is coming.

Whatever I guess... I know a lot of the people at DB are trying hard (Shan) but these things really are starting to add up.

Comments

• Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    People think it is a money grab by DB but they will lose on the DYC if they leave it the way it is.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add no full kickstart possible either makes 400k tough, I may have saved my shuttle tokens but no way I’m going to waste them on limited bonus crew especially when sci eng cmd even med isn’t that great a lot of secondaries not enough primaries.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    During the last rerun when we got Captain Bateson, I had also achieved a Silva from the skirmish event, so I did a few pulls on the event pack figuring that I'd at least be able to fuse one of them. I managed to FF Silva wihout pulling a Bateson, but I was happy with that until Silva failed to provide the right bonus during the 2nd half of her event.

I am thankful that DB's mistake at that time made it so I wasn't terribly interested in procuring a Lanya. Otherwise, i probably would have been tempted to do something similar this time around, pushing to get Lanya as an event reward then pulling packs until I fused either Troi or Lanya. And now that Troi is more difficult to obtain via thresholds, I have even less incentive to pull packs.

I doubt that my personal spending is reflective of the playerbase as a whole. I suspect DB does know what players spend money on, and they are relying on people spending money on shuttle boosts/rentals/speedups, but I just don't spend on those things, and it's increasingly clear that DB isn't interested in offering anything I'd value for my money.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I had to look back are the last faction event
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/12150/what-score-is-1k-rank-now#latest

The 1000 VP cutoff was around 490k. That one had Captain Spock. Now we have mountaineer Spock.

Kind of funny, I like the artwork for Mountaineer Spock, but he looks like Herman Munster (For those who are old enough to remember the Munsters)
    Edit: Munster Spock

I wish DB would have increased the rank needed for all the reward brackets. Would have taken some of the sting out of the 400k threshold.

Hey! I just realized . This is how they are welcoming new STT players from GOTA.

Edit2: DB could have left the legendary at 150,000 threshold. They would just have two things there Troi and Apollo's outfit.
  • Options
    I think DB are trying to create as many ‘gates’ as they are cards it’s the only explanation I can fathom.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    V. wrote: »
    Isn't 400,000 around rank 1500?

I finished with 417.000 VP on the last faction event and had rank 1353. Given that it was the Captain Spock event and Mountaineer Spock seems less popular, this time around 400.000 could be even closer to rank 1000.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the folks that say they had ~400,000 points in the last faction (or any recent faction, really), how many shuttle boosts, reward boosts, and/or how much dilithium got you there? Rough estimates are fine, I’m not looking to steal anyones strategy, I am just curious to get a general resource commitment baseline for such a score. With a jumpstart and a handful of blue boosts, I have hit 250/300 once or twice, over a 4 day event. I have never come anywhere close to that amount of VP, that I can recall, but I also have never used dilithium or blown out my boosts in any faction event.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torias327 wrote: »
    To the folks that say they had ~400,000 points in the last faction (or any recent faction, really), how many shuttle boosts, reward boosts, and/or how much dilithium got you there? Rough estimates are fine, I’m not looking to steal anyones strategy, I am just curious to get a general resource commitment baseline for such a score. With a jumpstart and a handful of blue boosts, I have hit 250/300 once or twice, over a 4 day event. I have never come anywhere close to that amount of VP, that I can recall, but I also have never used dilithium or blown out my boosts in any faction event.

I used about 50 3* time reducers and 6 of the extra shuttles to get the last Spock. I don't know my final points, but the top scores were all about 20K from each other, so I was within 20K of whatever the mark was for Spock.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    At some point, you'll run out of crew to build and things to do in the game. It takes most folks about a year. You'll also have a lot of fully fused beholds and gauntlet bad beats waiting for you at that point. Then, all you'll have is events and the frustration inherent in those (as you're already expressing above).

I play two different freemium games mostly. STT and Marvel Puzzle Quest. For quite awhile I preferred STT. I still might and I'm willing to spend a little bit of money on it. Recently I've noticed that I've been playing MPQ more without quite realizing it. And there's one main reason that I can think of: There's something more to do with a maxed character.

Both games use events. STT is more of a carnival than MPQ. You play a variety of ST related games that sort of work together. Its something to do with developed crew but a lot of it just sits idly. You also end up accumulating a lot of crap that doesn't do anything.

In MPQ they added Champion levels to a maxed out character. Every champion level gives you a reward. If you hit max Champion level you can delete the character for a big reward or start a duplicate. Either way its another opportunity to earn champion rewards. The Honour system in STT works like this but it really isn't that comparable. Collections were a nice improvement though.

I'm a long way away from having a strong 5* crew but I'm not that far away from max 4*'s. I suspect when I hit the latter, STT will probably be a little more tedious. I'm slated to get 3/4 Apollo's with some of his gear this week but there's little reason for me to do anything with it. If I got a reward for immortalizing a 2nd copy of Apollo though? That might drastically change how I play and appreciate the game. It might also change how I look at collecting 5*'s.

I don't plan on going for Troi this event. If I get there I'll probably delete her. I don't mind the threshold honestly. Its a lot of work for a marginal crew but at least it might compel people to play harder.

VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

@Torias327 I had 417.000 on the last faction event. I was squadron leader (about 68.000 came from there) and I had lots of bonus crew (10 I think). I did a small kickstart (one that got me to 1800 or 2250VP shuttles) and used some 3* time boosts (maybe 14 or 16 over the entire event) especially at the beginning and at the end of the event. I used 9hrs boosts overnight and I made sure to log in every 3 hours during the day. I think I was also lucky, since my shuttles had a pretty good success rate, if compared to other events.

EDIT: By success rate, I mean the actual success rate. I usually have about 1/4 shuttles fail during events, no matter what percentage was displayed when I sent them out. On the last event, it didn't happen that often.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

So with ads you can get 12 boost packs for free every thursday. Suppose a faction event is every two weeks, so 24 boost packs for each event. Those will on average give you about 28 3* boosts to use in a faction event.

Given that here is a sample table of what someone who can safely sustain 4k missions can do if they make all the shuttle turn arounds during the day and use overnights.

9qeaebodry3v.jpg
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the folks that say they had ~400,000 points in the last faction (or any recent faction, really), how many shuttle boosts, reward boosts, and/or how much dilithium got you there?
    48-60 3* Time Reducers. Every 3 hour shuttle used a 3* skill boost. No rentals, no reward boosts, no dilithium, no Weyoun 6. Scored over ~450K and placed in the high 700's.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I got 596 or 598k I used many 3* boosts possibly as much as 60 I was also a sqd ldr and I used a panic 5* boost and one shuttle token to ensure I was sub 1k, 896 to be precise. However I didn’t bother getting up in the night and I was a bit sloppy one evening where I didn’t stay up long enough to send another batch of shuttles. It’s doable but it depends how many time boosts I get I’ve still got most of last thursdays packs to open and then there are also tomorrow’s cadet packs.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    When I am not stat boasting I would be time boosting.
    @Paladin 27
    You show 85% success rate on over nighters. That success rate is usually lower than the normal stat boosted shuttles. I gather you are saying your normal shuttles are not stat boosted?

Edit: got it. The over nighters should have a success rate at 80%. But this still will lead to 400k for the threshold reward.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    When I am not stat boasting I would be time boosting.
    @Paladin 27
    You show 85% success rate on over nighters. That success rate is usually lower than the normal stat boosted shuttles. I gather you are saying your normal shuttles are not stat boosted?

Well those were just example percents and I don’t use overnights, but you are right they should be about 5% lower. Dropping to 80 takes maybe 5k of VP away so still right at 4K.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

So with ads you can get 12 boost packs for free every thursday. Suppose a faction event is every two weeks, so 24 boost packs for each event. Those will on average give you about 28 3* boosts to use in a faction event.

Given that here is a sample table of what someone who can safely sustain 4k missions can do if they make all the shuttle turn arounds during the day and use overnights.

9qeaebodry3v.jpg

I agree this the missions have helped but your last sentence is the most important and concerning to me. I can sustain most missions at 4000 VP points in most events. This event will be interesting because over the past year of playing I really haven't gotten any legendary Kirks. I have a lot of Troi but I am questioning how easy it will be for me to stay at 4000 VP. Will be tough in my opinion.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Ya this is the first rerun with new reward structure.(also this is the second time with new reward structure)

So this is the first time a legendary crew is in threshold rewards with the new rewards.

I think we just want to slant DB to making the legendary threshold at the old or at least lower than their plan for the current event rerun.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    But for newer players (let's say, less than 3-6 months), Reruns used to be Awesome. You'd get an older 5*, but a 5* nevertheless. Because as it stands now, I feel like a newer player would have a better payout just dumping dil into packs than whatever you'd have to spend to make it to 400k VP.
    An event re-run giving an older 5* Crew as a threshold reward is a new thing. And some of those are a little sketchy. I got Dancing Uhura for example but I dumped her because I didn't feel like sparing crew space for a 2 skill 5* who's not useful in the Gauntlet. I did keep Bateson (he was previously 4/5) and T'Pol. T'Pol is probably the best re-run given away since she's main cast, has useful stats, 3 skills and decent in the Gauntlet.

It does take some work to do this well in a faction event admittedly. However there are good rewards leading up to 400k now. You get some decent stuff for your effort. It would be really annoying if they did this to the old thresholds. We'll see what happens in other re-runs. They need to update the rewards for those anyways.