Home The Bridge
Options

Threshold for re-run of Faction Events.

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phantum wrote: »
    So for longer term players is this the norm, have I just been playing through a golden age the last 3 months and now have nothing to look forward to?

As someone who has been playing this game since launch, allow me to assure you -- you have plenty to look forward to.... if you like frustration and throwing good money after bad odds. At some point, you'll run out of crew to build and things to do in the game. It takes most folks about a year. You'll also have a lot of fully fused beholds and gauntlet bad beats waiting for you at that point. Then, all you'll have is events and the frustration inherent in those (as you're already expressing above).

Thanks for the encouragement! I was more after info on events, is this the norm where there are only a minimal number of bonus crew?

I managed to resist the latest offer with 5 legendary citations and enough dilithium for the next month for only 27 euros. It was a really great deal but I decided that I wanted to play my way up instead. So I think the money will not take me.

I am already at the stage where I have nothing I want to level up, I have some 2/4 s that are too average and will not help me until 4/4, and crew collections. I am leveling up any 1* or 2* in 2 collections. I am left balancing a lot of 1/4 stars that are good but I do not want to invest in them until I have them at least 2/4. So Chronitons grow but not much to do outside of events and gauntlet that I do very well in.

So although it is frustrating that the 5* reward is so so far out of reach... the main problem is the event is largely unplayable with the lack of bonus crew, and if it was then the other rewards are so mediocre, even the option of a 3/4 star is not going to make it to my voyage crew and just take up space. It seems very bad planning to me to make the game impossible and the rewards unattractive for those who would play. Adding a 5* so far up that most who get there will airlock her seems just a waste of their time.

It is all very well to have some premium things to draw in extra money for the game each week, but when they make the event so unattractive for those only paying monthly .... Most app creators would be very happy with 5 euros a month per player... I hope this is just a mistake and not the norm in the long term

I haven’t done any rigorous review of past events (I can think of two or three others who are really good at that sort of thing) but the total number of small bonus or event crew that are useful (20: Apollo, Layna, 9/11 Kirks, and 9/10 Trois) isn’t terribly small, though there are a lot of 5* crew in that tally. If we just look at 3 or 4* crew, 9 is on the smaller side. Ready to Rumble was the most recent one that was worse, with 9/9 Qs, 4/5 Tuckers, and Klaa for a total of 14 useful bonus crew (with only 9 total 3 or 4*s and really 8 that were commonly available). Events like Peldor Joi or An Even Field, where there are 20ish or more useful event/bonus crew, are not the norm either.

There seems to be a fine balance between “too many” and “too few”...at least as this forum is concerned. 10-15 3 or 4* bonus crew is probably the standard and this event is just under that. The important thing to note is that newer players that aren’t whales are going to have a hard time in any Faction event because a deep crew roster is one of the major keys to success (a pantsload of boosts - or dilithium - is the other).

For me I take the perspective of the skills those bonus crew cover and I have to say the skills are not always covered very well for instance Ferengi missions there really isnt much point doing them after the kick start, waste of transmissions if you ask me because there's too much Sci and Eng in that grouping.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

I managed to resist the latest offer with 5 legendary citations and enough dilithium for the next month for only 27 euros. It was a really great deal but I decided that I wanted to play my way up instead. So I think the money will not take me.

Not sure if you just made a mistake. But the citation offer was for superrare not legendary.

• Options
    Looking at the threshold requirements i am not even going to try. This is purely stupid - so they ask me to pay for boosts and stay on strict 3h regime day/ night until monday??? Wtf is this, just lol
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    Also nerfed the quickstart so hitting those thresholds will now be harder. Used to be 20 missions for reruns -- now they've capped at 16.

Ya I honestly think they are trying to find anyway to make it harder.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    And once again DB is silent about our concerns. So typical lately. Sad.

I prefer they experiment with different threshold reward layouts than do nothing at all. They are trying different things to see how the broader game reacts. The forum is the voice of (typically) more active players and higher spenders. They are more interested in the behavior of the player base as a whole, not the forum rabble. To get their "input", they have to experiment with different event structures. I'm 100% OK with this.

I'm ok with it. Just wish they would comment more when there is this much discussion on it. Gives me a weekend off and I like that as I have both purps ffe already.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte wrote: »
    The basic assumption of this thread is that everyone who participates in the event should reach 100% of the threshold rewards. This just isn't the case and should not be. I think 400k is a fine threshold for a 5*. That way people who put the time in will get a decent reward even if they don't make it to top 25.

Anyone who achieves 350k will still get a decent reward for playing even if they don't get top 1,000.

I dont think that’s the assumption at all, the assumption or rather the fact is the reward structure used to be x but now DB have changed it to y.

Actually, they changed it to Y, realized they didn't properly set the goal posts, changed it to Z, and now have to deal with the backlash of poor game development.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't feel like I've really got a targ in the race, since I just threshold-and-out anyway (old threshold, the 150k level) and there was nothing DB could've offered that'd have made me push harder anyway, but still, this is a disappointment. I'm still going for Apollo's equipment - I've got him 4/4 lvl 100, but unequipped, so the gear will save a little bit of effort - but I didn't bother to properly kickstart, just queued up all the 2pt missions and did them, then settled back to regular shuttling, and I'm not using boosts either.

Normally I kickstart and boost til 150k, then keep flying no-boost shuttles until the end, and I usually end up getting the 250k reward. If I make 150k using today's 'lazy approach', that might just become my standard for faction missions, unless there's a new 3* on the rank rewards table and I need a vaguely respectable rank to get it. As I say I wouldn't have been spending dil on shuttles regardless, but I'm more disengaged from playing competitively than I was before. Not a huge deal to DB, but I'd like to think that's still not a trend they'd want to encourage.
  • Options
    It will be intersting to see how this all shakes out. I started nearly 5 hours late and I'm just outside the top 1500. The kickstart nerf is brutal, and I'm not sure what my total VP or position will be. At a minimum, I'm hoping for the 250k 1500 honor, though I will use anything but dil if I think I have a shot at 400k.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    400k VP are that high above the stars, only the biggest whales of all whales are reaching them (and do these whales actually need the old legendaries?). Definitely think about it, Disruptor Beam. Definitely think about your good paying customers.

And as far I am watching the event rankings at this time (and I'm not using any boosters this time), I am ranking really good, meaning many players are sick. Just my two cents.

Edit:
    If Disruptor Beam wants to reward the biggest whales of all whales with a legendary crew, I would suggest one of the new legendaries at 500k VP. 150k VP for an old legendary (like last time) would be appropriate for the smaller whales. That would be best for all paying customers and DB's income situation.

While I agree that I'd like to see the rerun legendary at a lower threshold than 400K it's completely false to say that only the biggest whales are capable of reaching it.
  • Options
    While I agree that I'd like to see the rerun legendary at a lower threshold than 400K it's completely false to say that only the biggest whales are capable of reaching it.
    I didn't get my four times VIP level 14 by buying boosters. Never bought some, because I want to get the most out of my limited budget. And unless I am insanely stockpiling the time savers I am able to get free, this is impossible for me. I prefer using the time savers to get the new rare crew. And when new rare crew are released, I definitely need the time savers, because many players will go on the hunt for the new rare crew.
  • Options
    Shuttles is pure pay2win, at least skirmishes involve actual gameplay.
  • Options
    easypeasy wrote: »
    Shuttles is pure pay2win, at least skirmishes involve actual gameplay.
    Now with the new shuttle boosts and the old legendary at 400k now.^^

Momentarily I am ranked within the best 5,000 people. And this without any boosts at all. Before I had to use all my boosts up for getting all 3 rare crew. I guess, many players are upset.

My suggestion in my first post would be a win-win-win-situation for all the paying players as DB as well. The biggest whales would scarcely generate double-your-crew-purchases at all when they get an old legendary. If they could reach a new and the smaller whales an old, both type of whales would.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would y'all mind helping define "whales" here?
    • Someone who throws mountains of cash at the game?
    • Anyone who spends a penny?
    • Anyone who is willing or able to invest the time and energy to get through factions? (which is non-trivial)
    • Anyone who has spent their money on crew slot sales to build bench versus other things?
    • Anyone who has put thought effort into maximizing their win chances event by event?

Yes, unless you have been saving time boosts for more than the last 2-3 weeks, you should expect to have to pay about $10 for the GoE legendary, if you've got the time and willpower to slog it through.

Sorry, getting a little chuffed at the casual "anyone who is competitive must be a high-roller from Dubai" implication here. Everyone's not thrilled with the threshold change. Bad card at the end of the rainbow that even at a not-unreasonable $10 investment point still would require mountains of work, which is less reasonable. But please think twice before assuming anyone who is competitive is dumping piles of cash in. It's simply not true, and an easy out for the frustration pointed in the wrong direction.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    But please think twice before assuming anyone who is competitive is dumping piles of cash in.
    This I didn't say, but you gave the answer:
    Yes, unless you have been saving time boosts for more than the last 2-3 weeks, you should expect to have to pay about $10 for the GoE legendary, if you've got the time and willpower to slog it through.
    If you want to compete successfully in the rankings without buying boosters, stockpiling over a longer period is essential. As a result, you cannot compete every time for the top 1,000. I remember the times (I started maybe in May of the first year) where competition wasn't as hard, where I could successfully reach the top 1,000 in Galaxy events with crew only level 60 (or 50?); until the times where the voyages feature was released. And as I already mentioned: I rather save my Faction event boosters for new rare crew. And the chronitons for leveling up my massive size crew; only my common are level 100, legendaries are 90 and most of the rest is still 80.
    Would
    y'all mind helping define "whales" here?
    I would say at least every one hitting VIP level 14 one time. As buying the biggest dilithium package for €105 gets you 5,000 VIP points, you at least pay €1,000 for hitting VIP level 14. This I absolutely consider a whale status. It's an insane amount of money compared to the €50 full price PC games I normally buy. And Timelines is the first F2P game I played and payed for.
  • Options
    This prize structure, with the 5* at 400k would only make sense to me if it was next week's 5* rank reward and we competed this week FOR this week's event 5*
    (Old system + 400k next week preview bonus)

And even then I think 400k is a bit too high.
    I'm almost thankful that the first two weeks of the upcoming mega event are events I won't bother trying to rank in and aren't faction events. I'm glad I won't see another full faction event for nearly a month, and I never thought I'd say that.

This ramped up system is burning me out.

We need to utilize the full spectrum of events to their full potential.

Galaxy
    (New event type, super gauntlet)
    Skirmish
    Faction
    Expedition
    Repeat event
    (Over and over)

The way things are now is not sustainable.

• Options
    This doesn't affect me personally, since most of the times I don't really want or need the rerun legendary and if I do, I can get to 400k with a reasonable effort. But for new players, it was probably a nice addition to be able to get a legendary out of an event from time to time. They probably don't have lots of immortal crew and a 1/5*, even if it's a weak one, will still be better than most 2/4* or 3/4*.

I agree that it's a nice thing to have an additional threshold reward for people who want to rank in the top 1k and fail, but this one is not very useful and not nearly as valuable as the ranked reward. They could have added a second copy of the existing legendary at 400k, which would have annoyed fewer people and might have turned out to be actually of some use for those who are able to get there.

It's not so much about increased competition or incentives to spend money, it's that it makes things more difficult without adding anything new to the game. If they added some new ranked rewards or a new threshold reward at 400k to entice people to keep playing and spend more money, most people would be fine with it.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not so much about increased competition or incentives to spend money, it's that it makes things more difficult without adding anything new to the game. If they added some new ranked rewards or a new threshold reward at 400k to entice people to keep playing and spend more money, most people would be fine with it.

I think you summed it up well. And I think some would have been much happier with the challenge had the 400K prize been a much better card. GoE as crew belongs at a much lower VP level, no two ways about it; she's effectively a good SR's worth of play value.

And @guest_1037599502354433, my apologies if I set up a strawman to knock down at your expense - cumulative frustration with the casual "whales" comments elsewhere when much progress can be made through smarter play and learning to avoid all the unwise ways to spend resources the game happily throws at you. I do think Timelines is a strategy game masquerading as a mindless-clicker, and learning to play smarter is part of the fun for me. It's also part of the reason people can get legitimately frustrated when bars are raised. Many probably came on board probably thinking "casual" and suddenly it's "intense" (without new value, to Emperor Borg Drone's point).

Fair definition of whale = VIP14+. Though I'd say it's possible to get halfway there over time with a very modest amount of weekly spending not much different than what one might spend IRL on reasonably priced forms of entertainment. Cumulatively, yes, it's way more than the calibration for game costs I grew up with, but we're in a different era, for better or worse, and I tend to judge now by $ per hour of entertainment (heck, I live in a city where one drink in a bar is going to set me back $10-$15, thank goodness I don't do bars much anymore).

I don't think anyone would dispute the game is moving towards encouraging more spending. I don't begrudge DB this, but I do feel for anyone lured into buying 9-hour doublers and rental tokens for $9.99, and hope they quickly discover it's not a good idea, the same way I might switch to a beer if my favorite establishment served watered-down cocktails. But I haven't yet seen any fundamental barrier-to-entry type walls that would make it truly P2W, unless *maybe* you're talking top 25, and even there we see reports of long-term players with careful hoarding being able to succeed.

Accepted. Mark them, Galt.