Home The Bridge
Options

Upcoming Festive Mega-Event, "Presents and Futures," Begins December 6!

Comments

• Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been that upset in the past about artwork, but I don't like this one at all. Is it just me or do others think the same?

There is something disturbing about it. May have to do with the gloomy background, but she definitely looks more threatening than sexy (assuming that sexy is what they were going for with that choice).
    Shy Khan wrote: »

I'm curious about the decision-making process for putting her in the sheet versus a fully-realized version of her ship-board Ktarian command uniform. I'm not being snarky, I'm actually curious about the editorial choice.

12dsa12tk6df.png

To my mind, the Ktarian uniform was a really nice design that sadly never was seen again. But I suppose if the theme is gift giving, the Risa scene is where she gives the Game to Riker. Though it does lack gravitas.

I would have preferred the uniform version too :)

The Mega event theme may eventually tell us why they picked one over the other but threatening is definitely a word to describe the event card. I have no issue with the character choices, just this time the artwork is throwing me off a bit.
  • Options
    Sphere Builder Presage should have been the recurring legend as others stated, the Sphere builders manipulated the Xindi races for centuries earning their trust to set them against a race in their far future that they had never met, Humans.
    Scheming of that magnitude deserves 5* recurring legend status, but glad they're finally in the game :).
  • Options
    Several crew missing pilot trait, apologies stating the obvious I know.
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imokles wrote: »
    In the past, I always did a DYC on the recurring legendary card in the first week of a mega to bring the card to 5* at the end.
    However, the 4th event of the mega is a faction event again. Can we please have a confirmation that the card won't be placed at 400K again but somewhere more attainable? As I am and likely will not be able to clear this threshhold, I probably won't bother with a DYC if the 5th copy is out of reach.

This. Can you guys confirm that the event legendary is in the same place it's always been in the rewards?
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past, I always did a DYC on the recurring legendary card in the first week of a mega to bring the card to 5* at the end.
    However, the 4th event of the mega is a faction event again. Can we please have a confirmation that the card won't be placed at 400K again but somewhere more attainable? As I am and likely will not be able to clear this threshhold, I probably won't bother with a DYC if the 5th copy is out of reach.

This. Can you guys confirm that the event legendary is in the same place it's always been in the rewards?

If they stick the recurring card in the 100s of K VP, I'll be sitting out the mehga event. I'll also expect participation to be down probably 30% too. It'd be a terrible idea, but we see DB has and implements no shortage of those.
  • Options

@Shan @JazzRiker this is a good question.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just released! The Legendaries for weeks 2, 3 and 4 of the Mega Event......

817efy9vi1aq.jpg

:neutral:

The first one IS a legend though. Everyone knows "Man in dress"

Right Right!! :smiley:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Wow ... skirmish / expedition .... and another crap recurring char ....

Raise your hands if you had to google who the hell she was in what episode :)
  • Options
    Confirmation on recurring character place/points needed, requested here too.

Agrees with statement that if it's up an absurd amount, I'm taking two weeks off events and I'll space the two I'll get in the Final two parts. At 4/5 I can deal with a character I barely care about..

But if hundreds of thousands of points are needed for her. Meh. She ain't worth it to me. She can float.
  • Options
    Data did pilot a shuttle on TNG... the episode with Kevas Fajo, for example
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭

If a variant from that episode were to enter the game, you'd have an argument. But Data's primary function was not 'pilot'. HMS Pinafore - yes. Data - no.

Kirk flew a starship into the mouth of the Doomsday Machine. He could do this because, as a captain, he had training on every primary function of a starship. But overall, Kirk is not a pilot and should not have that trait (and doesn't, of course).
  • Options
    The Immunity Syndrome

Kirk: "I'm better rated as a command pilot than you are."
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to look at the pilots. A couple key crew that really should have it:

While anyone can fly a shuttle, only a select few deserve the trait. Generally, Pilots seem to fall into thee catagories:

A ) Crew that act as hemlsmen (Sulu, Ash, Paris, 2* Geordi, etc.)

B ) Crew that, while they typically at a position other than helm, are especially skilled and noted pilots (Riker, Jadzia, Archer)

C) Crew that are wearing a pilot costume (RAF crew)

Pinafore Data and Cadet Wesley deserve to be pilots because A), Okuna and various Daxes because B )

Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭

If we went by that logic, all Datas would be loaded with traits since he can pretty much do everything.

H.M.S Pinafore Data is the only one that should have the pilot trait imo.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Immunity Syndrome

Kirk: "I'm better rated as a command pilot than you are."

Fair enough! Though just 'cause he's got a better rating, he could still be a noob compared to Sulu (for example). Del Taco may be better rated than Taco Bell, but is that really an achievement?
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Has the question been asked: does the title of this Mega Event mean we get a lot of presents along the way? ;-)
  • Options
    Antasil wrote: »
    Has the question been asked: does the title of this Mega Event mean we get a lot of presents along the way? ;-)

Yes. You may have one elementary replicator ration and as a bonus the recurring legendary will be at 500k vp.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antasil wrote: »

It will be the digital equivalent of a burning bag of dog feces...100 chrons, some replicator rations, maybe another star for Commanding Officer Sisko.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    JazzRiker wrote: »
    cd4szhba9bsa.png

Etana Jol has a history of manipulation and her efforts to expand Ktarian influence are well known to Starfleet. She's reappeared just in time for the beginning of the holiday-themed Mega-Event, "Presents and Futures!"

Starting on December 6 and running throughout the month, Captains will need their best Pilot crew in order to investigate strange vessels that are appearing on the outskirts of the Quadrant.

Here's the full schedule of events in the “Presents and Futures” Mega-Event:

• December 6 – “Home for the Holidays,” Galaxy Event
    • December 13 – “Silent Night,” Hybrid Faction/Galaxy Event
    • December 20 – “Auld Lang Syne,” Hybrid Skirmish/Expedition Event
    • December 27– “Joy to the World,” Faction Event

Expedition event...finally!
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »
    DB forcing this Mega event with Etana Jol as the recurring 5* despite significant and thoroughly justified criticism is like a student submitting homework for review before turning it in at the last minute, then refusing to make changes based on feedback (possibly complaining about “lack of time”), and then wondering why they receive a failing grade on the assignment.

It’s a terribly bull-headed way to deal with a player base, a poor developmental strategy in general, and honestly insulting.

This isn’t remotely okay, and sends the message that DB legitimately does not care about the game nor its playerbase, which is the same message that was sent when we had a Romulan Mega event with basically no Romulans. Why should players continue to support a game when the developers continue to show such blatant disregard for them?

I must have missed it when people were saying "please don't make Etana Jol a mega legendary" months or even weeks ago. Or do you actually think DB could've changed their entire plan for the month in the 20 hours between the teaser and the announcement?

I'm not going to pretend she would've been my first choice, but can we at least make an effort to understand how business works?

There’s a reason I made a comparison to a student submitting homework at the last minute. That’s part of my point: by not building more buffer into the production schedule to respond to player feedback, they’re setting themselves up to annoy and disappoint players on a regular basis with limited options on responding to it.

That said, while it is clearly rather late to bother rewriting he entire event plot and promotional art work, it would not be difficult (in fact, it should be technically trivial) to swap Etana Jol with one of the other event 5*s upcoming that would be more appropriate in such a valued position as recurring Mega 5* (even the already announced, and thus obviously ready to be deployed Sphere Builder is a much less insane selection for Mega Event Recurring 5* than Etana Jol).

There’s an extent to which I’m willing to be sympathetic to the practical realities of game development and technicalities of engineering limitations and so on and so forth. But there comes a point where the situation is ultimately the fault of the developers and/or management, and the pacing of production and lead times is definitely something they control. And when the situation points to a development team that doesn’t look like they’re doing a good job or care, I’m going to call them out on it.

Big difference between being aware of the realities of game design and those realities being passed off excessively to excuse lack of effort. We’re well into the lack of effort regime at this point.

Your example of a university student doesn't hold water - DB isn't saying "hey, this is what we'd like to do next week." They're saying "hey, this is what is coming next week." The players aren't part of their development process, we're consuming whatever they've come up with. And if we don't like it, we don't have to buy it.

And what kind of entertainment media actually has that kind of buffer? I'd actually like to hear an example. Network television films episodes weeks or months in advance, and so will take ages to write out an unpopular character. The Fantastic Beasts movie had committed enough money to Johnny Depp that the producers decided it wasn't worth the cost to recast him, despite the blowback. Yes, there are test screenings and focus groups - but those are for start ups, not established media.

And yes, from a technical standpoint, I'm sure it would be quite easy to flip Etana Jol and the Spherebuilder in the rewards. But they are trying to tell a story - that's part of their stated mission - and I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess the Spherebuilder wouldn't be able to fill Etana's position.

To your point about DB's lack of effort - there are plenty of examples of this, but this hardly counts as one. Even if half the player base says they don't like their character choice, that does not equal laziness. I'll be annoyed AF if next week Etana turns out to be another underwhelming two stat mega character - that would show a blatant disregard for the loud feedback shared two months ago (and I would expect that two months is enough turn around time to at least adjust the stats of the character). But this? It's unrealistic to expect the changes you're asking for, and them choosing a one off instead of one of the uber requested characters does not make for lack of effort.

But the thing is, we’re at very basic level here. DB has been making decisions, quite regularly over the past few months, that show a lack of attention to player feedback or even caring about player feedback.

Whatever side of the debate people fall on for whether or not Etana should be a recurring 5* aside, the reality is that DB has made a mess entirely of their own accord through choices made by the company at some level, be it management or development. And they should not casually be absolved of dealing with that mess because the timetables they’re working with may be short or restrictive on practical levels.

While the most recent event was a bad call to move the recurring legendary so high in the thresholds, but having a rerun legendary AT ALL, as well as the extra 10-pull threshold were decisions in recent months and were certainly improvements! Player feedback resulted in those 2 changes. Some popular crewmembers have been released recently including picards, datas, spocks (including probably the highest requested spock), AND the reward adjustments to the Data event were a VASTLY improved response speed and while not perfect, were a DRAMATIC improvement to past events such as yargate and (I hear) mirror picard and crusher.

I found it rather easy to predict that the December mega would be somehow holiday-based. I'm glad they tried to select a crewmember to make a fun story to fit the Christmas (or whatever holiday) season. While I think the Sphere Builder is a really cool character choice, it would be a hell of a shoehorn job to make a villain fit into a holiday themed storyline. In my mind, this is the best mega event of the year to have some fun and choose an unusual character to be the recurring one. I realize she's in a sexy pose in the artwork, but she's also behaving silly and sort of offering a "gift" in her pose. I have no complaints at all so far, including for the rest of the crew in the first event. I'd rather not have so many chron-based weekends in a row, but everyone will be in the same boat with that.

You make two assumptions there:

1) The plot will be entertaining
    2) The plot will have more than a pun in connection with the holidays.

Just as you criticize the negative folks for not having things straight, Its probably better to wait on the above two and see when the plot is happening in game.

" it would be a hell of a shoehorn job to make a villain fit into a holiday themed storyline."

Oh and BTW, she was a villain. The witch used mind control devices to take over the Enterprise and try to take over Starfleet. You're not gonna call that a villain?

My bad, of course you're right she was also a villain. However, at least initially in the episode she had moments where she was pretending to be friendly and giving a "gift" in the game, which is rather fitting to the time of year.

Sure we don't know if the story will be well written or not, but I appreciate any effort made towards doing something different and fun for the holidays. We have enough nea
  • Options
    Can't edit my post for some reason, don't know how it got cut off. here's the last paragraph:

Sure we don't know if the story will be well written or not, but I appreciate any effort made towards doing something different and fun for the holidays. We have enough negativity around here, let's remember there are actual people working at DB, most of which are probably not actively plotting evil schemes to make us all miserable playing their game.