Home The Bridge
Options

Upcoming Festive Mega-Event, "Presents and Futures," Begins December 6!

Comments

• Options
    PolPol ✭✭✭
    I am still laughing about the ¨drives like a Betazoid ¨ thing. :D
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wundigore wrote: »
    First you do not want a character that is going to ring up as bonus crew too much. So no Picards, Sevens, Data's, Faxes, Spocks, etc.

I think this point is a reasonable argument. There are, of course, exceptions to every argument. As I'm sure you're aware, but just for the sake of the exercise, I give you...

Mirror Jean-Luc Picard - main cast with the most variants in the game, and a frequent member of the GWC (gauntlet wall club).

Bell Riots Bashir - main cast with value in several recent events, with more to be expected since "engineered" seems to be a trait designed to cover some DSC elements.

But yeah, the other 7 mega crew largely fit your profile. Many of them are quite useful in other areas of the game, but they are fairly unlikely to show up as bonus crew in too many events. (Maybe Cornwell, once DSC-themed events start up again.)
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    Skirmish/Expedition - now that should be fun!

And the good news is nothing over actual Christmas - halleloo!

I can do Events at home now, because I got a xFinity WiFi Pass for the Tablet, but Christmas off is nice.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Wundigore wrote: »
    First you do not want a character that is going to ring up as bonus crew too much. So no Picards, Sevens, Data's, Faxes, Spocks, etc.

I think this point is a reasonable argument. There are, of course, exceptions to every argument. As I'm sure you're aware, but just for the sake of the exercise, I give you...

Mirror Jean-Luc Picard - main cast with the most variants in the game, and a frequent member of the GWC (gauntlet wall club).

Bell Riots Bashir - main cast with value in several recent events, with more to be expected since "engineered" seems to be a trait designed to cover some DSC elements.

But yeah, the other 7 mega crew largely fit your profile. Many of them are quite useful in other areas of the game, but they are fairly unlikely to show up as bonus crew in too many events. (Maybe Cornwell, once DSC-themed events start up again.)

Yes, sometimes they will do what must be done to quiet the masses. The Mirror mega was a very big deal and the Picard was part of the "splash" for it. The Bell Riots Bashir mega was about making the players happy. There always exceptions. Preface everything I originally said with "as a general rule."
  • Options
    Having a random one-off character as Legendary is exactly how the system is supposed to work.

"Common" characters are exactly that--common. They're the low-hanging fruit such as main characters and popular characters.. They are weak, but easy to obtain and level to get newbies drawn into the game. Which means on the other end of the spectrum, "Legendaries" are the least seen/popular in ST canon, and are intentionally the rarest in the game, but are also the most powerful. Otherwise players would have no reason to spend time/money chasing them! This way it balances out--everyone gets common characters, but there is also benefit to collecting characters you don't like or never heard of, which gives a reason to keep playing, and keep giving DB your time and cash. DB knows exactly what they are doing.

And as someone mentioned earlier, if Super Rares/Legendaries had more use in events, then the game would skew too heavily in favor of whales and newer players would stand no chance in competing. (It's already difficult to compete against whales)
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they listened: Etana Jol will be some combination of DIP/SCI/ENG.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the problem is that the mega-5* is a one-off. I think the problem is that the one-off is forgettable. If it wasn't for Decipher's CCG, I wouldn't remember who the hell Etana Jol was by name. (Coming up with Treachery for a Federation deck was rough with the Premiere set; gotta watch out for those Firestorms, though!)

I agree she's forgettable by name, but then Kortar was that for me too and she in the context of her episode is certainly somewhat memorable for me.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the problem is that the mega-5* is a one-off. I think the problem is that the one-off is forgettable. If it wasn't for Decipher's CCG, I wouldn't remember who the hell Etana Jol was by name. (Coming up with Treachery for a Federation deck was rough with the Premiere set; gotta watch out for those Firestorms, though!)

This exactly. When the entire community collectively and simultaneously goes "Who? Maybe Memory alpha can give us a clue.", then you know you've picked a poor "mega" "legendary".
  • Options
    PolPol ✭✭✭
    I hope for the hibrid skirmish event, we will have a powerfull Scotty (pun intended) ;)
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoping there's a new Archer in this Mega somewhere, he's underrepresented, and was one of the test pilots for the NX-01 as well as an integral designer of her. A Mega with a skein of pilot traits, what is more apt ... Captain Jonathan Archer ... Explorer, Pilot, Engineer, Inspiration for the founding of the forerunner to the UFP , the COP. His skillset should include Eng and Com, as innovator of the COP's First Contact protocols also Dip.

Captain Jonathan Archer the crew we want and another very appropriate Mega for his inclusion.

Now you have me excited lol.

I wouldn't mind a new 5* Paris either.
  • Options
    If they're introducing a new 5* Pilot besides Mountaineer Spock, then definitely Archer or Paris would be prime choices although Delta Flyer Paris denotes piloting as central to him already.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many TV shows have you liked EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. If we're being honest: zero.

Complete digression, but I like the question :) For me, Firefly. Legion. Now and Again. Great British Baking Show. The Wire (yes, even the 5th season). Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Mad Men. Fawlty Towers.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    You are an unusual person then. Staying in this scope I am a truly fanatical Star Trek lover, but there are episodes of every single series that I really cringe at when mentioned.
    "City on the Edge of Forever."
    "Time Squared."
    Half of DS9
    One quarter of Voyager.
    The first three seasons of Enterprise
    All of Discovery.
    (Can't really comment on the animated series).
  • Options
    (addition)
    My hatred for Enterprise, aside from their rewriting of history is primarily aimed at Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock, one of whom only knows how to act in one persona and the other doesn't know how to act all.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    How many TV shows have you liked EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. If we're being honest: zero.

Complete digression, but I like the question :) For me, Firefly. Legion. Now and Again. Great British Baking Show. The Wire (yes, even the 5th season). Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Mad Men. Fawlty Towers.

Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (2004 version, even with some of the iffy episodes in seasons 2 and 3), Dark Matter, and Stargate Universe are all certified 100% likes. I could probably throw in the other Stargate shows but it has been a while since I rewatched them and there could be episodes that I don’t care for mixed in. Likewise, each Trek series has had one or more stinkers for me (with some early DS9 episodes I have never seen in their entirety because the plot was interminably boring). Even some other all-time favorite shows of mine like The IT Crowd, Arrested Development, Supernatural, Boston Legal, Futurama, House, and others I am probably forgetting have episodes that I would be as likely to skip as not. The shows where I liked everything are indeed few in number, though that number is not zero.
    You are an unusual person then. Staying in this scope I am a truly fanatical Star Trek lover, but there are episodes of every single series that I really cringe at when mentioned.
    "City on the Edge of Forever."
    "Time Squared."
    Half of DS9
    One quarter of Voyager.
    The first three seasons of Enterprise
    All of Discovery.
    (Can't really comment on the animated series).

I never had a problem with City on the Edge of Forever. Maybe I am just a sucker for Harlan Ellison stories. :smile: Episodes like This Side of Paradise, Spock’s Brain, and The Alternative Factor are low on my list and others like The Paradise Syndrome aren’t necessarily bad but have stories that did not age well.

The Animated Series was...interesting. It actually won an Emmy for Outstanding Children’s Series but I found many of the episodes to be underwhelming, with a few gems (such as Yesteryear and Mudd’s Passion) mixed in. The entire 22 episode run is worth watching, even if only to say that you did it.
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (addition)
    My hatred for Enterprise, aside from their rewriting of history is primarily aimed at Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock, one of whom only knows how to act in one persona and the other doesn't know how to act all.

Most characters in Star Trek aren't really good until writers figure out how to write that character for a specific actor.

Janeway was supposed to be a Scientist and actually one of the best Scientist in Starfleet. That was dropped because Kate couldn't pull that out.

Picard is an arrogant **tsk tsk** in first two seasons.

Sisko is boring at the beginning just like Bashir. Only later they become more interesting.
  • Options
    S31 wrote: »

Most characters in Star Trek aren't really good until writers figure out how to write that character for a specific actor.

Janeway was supposed to be a Scientist and actually one of the best Scientist in Starfleet. That was dropped because Kate couldn't pull that out.

Picard is an arrogant **tsk tsk** in first two seasons.

Sisko is boring at the beginning just like Bashir. Only later they become more interesting.

The Sisko sucked and always sucked. Avery Brooks overacted all the time. He was terrible.
    Stewart was excellent, always will be. He was/is a superb actor. I would argue the writers wrote his character the best of Janeway, Sisko, and Archer.

Bakula is a good actor, and I think he played the role well, as much as the show was so so(it did get better last two season).
    Jolene Blalock was absolutely terrible in every way, except eye candy.

I thought Janeway/Mulgrew was much better than Archer and Sisko but these are all my personal opinion.

• Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

Stewart was excellent, always will be. He was/is a superb actor. I would argue the writers wrote his character the best of Janeway, Sisko, and Archer.

Bakula is a good actor, and I think he played the role well, as much as the show was so so(it did get better last two season).

I thought Janeway/Mulgrew was much better than Archer and Sisko but these are all my personal opinion.

I agree. Picard and Janeway are my favorite 24th century captains, and I think it’s partly because of the writing and partly because Stewart and Mulgrew did the best job as actors in the roles.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options

I agree. Picard and Janeway are my favorite 24th century captains, and I think it’s partly because of the writing and partly because Stewart and Mulgrew did the best job as actors in the roles.

Stewart was an established theater actor.
    Mulgrew was also pretty established by the time she got to Voyager.

• Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaBlack wrote: »
    Stating that some actor is better that the other is highly subjective. Even if you remove personal factor like "I like this captain more than the.." you still have to take into account what writers wanted from the character and their background and the very timeframe when they are.

Stewart got to play already experienced captain with good diplomacy skills in well established Starfleet with the main role of creating and maintaing good relations with other species and some exploration. So he got great diplomatic and exploratory vessel - Enterprise.

Mulgrew got to play relatively experienced captain with high background in science in well established Starfleet with the main role of exploration but got thrown in chaotic place with many unknown species where she is forced to do much more diplomacy than science. (I know that writers grossly reduced science background, but the hint of that is still there) - she got exploration ship Voyager

Brooks got to play not so experienced leader who is thrown in flames in zone where war just ended and Starfleet was mediator. They needed someone fresh, but with military background, who is able to stand his ground in place full of hatred beetwen two species, not some experienced diplomat which is to calm to relate to either Bayorans or Cardassians. Neither Bayorans nor Cardassians would respect someone who was not in military - so he got alien space station.

Bakula got to play captain of practicaly first real exploratory vessel it times when Starfleet was still in diapers and without any real diplomatic protocols. He even wasn't real leader, he was experimental pilot, and that is visible in the show. - so he got first warp 5 vessel almost without any weapons at first.

For me, all of them played their roles to fit these backgrounds as I see them. Maybe I'm totally of course here but...

It's a good point. But it doesn't mean we have to like what the actors did with the role. I think Stewart and Mulgrew did their best with the material (and god knows Mulgrew had less than spectacular stuff thrown at her). Brooks is a very particular style of actor and although I generally quite enjoy his portrayal, I do sometimes cringe when he goes over the top in his über emotional moments. Bakula, for me, never had the gravitas the writing implied Archer had, and I found the writers had a hard time adjusting themselves to his style of acting. He did have his moments and I'm sure he's quite a good actor, but as I've never seen him in anything else, Enterprise doesn't provide any proof of that for me.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to echo what was said elsewhere. This mega seems more cohesive than usual. I love also how the titles of the event missions work with seasonal themes. Good job. Also. The crew have been good. The gold crew, in particular, have all been very strong this event. It is my favorite mega so far.

Hear hear. And it seems the reward crew have had good re-usability in subsequent event stages, which didn't seem to be the case in some this summer. Plus some neglected main characters got some bonus love, and Pilot trait dug into some others. Agree 100% with you - nicely done!
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.