Home The Bridge

Current viability of hitting 400K target?

Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in The Bridge
I'm having a bit of a senior moment, was there a thread, either here or in the Ready Room, discussing the viability of the 400K VP target for this Event? Did I imagine that, or was it called something else? Or was it deleted/moved?

I'm asking because I thought that amidst the debate someone had posted a useful table showing the VP results running 4 shuttles at various success rates over the course of the 4 days that I wanted to consult.

I'm at 116,467 VP right now as of 12:45am early Saturday morning EST having already burned through half my 3-star time boosts (about 30-something), so I'm trying to project just how probable getting to Goddess of Empathy Troi would be without completely depleting my reserve. 4 shuttles are running anywhere from 50%-80% success rate. Ish.

EDIT: Nevermind on the thread search, I found it:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/12269/threshold-for-re-run-of-faction-events
Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!

Comments

• DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would venture to say that if you are not very close to 200K tomorrow at noon Eastern, you won't make it. Personally, I'm going to make it; but I've been running most of my shuttles with 3* time reducers. Good luck.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would venture to say that if you are not very close to 200K tomorrow at noon Eastern, you won't make it. Personally, I'm going to make it; but I've been running most of my shuttles with 3* time reducers. Good luck.

Yeah, I have 34 3*s left, I don't know if it's worth using them. I guess I'll have a better sense on the back nine.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My suggestion would be try switching to stat boosting. But try to at least get 5 or 6 runs of shuttles on Saturday and Sunday.

Edit1:
    Also be smart stat boost poor success rate and time boost better ones.
    Even better might be just to time boost best and stat boost the rest.

Edit2: keep in mind what difficulty you are. If shuttle is 4000 VP it is the most difficult (stat boosting might be better) if at lower difficulty 3500VP or less time boost might be the choice. Remember failures can drop your shuttles VP and successes can raise it. When you drop in VP that is the time to think of time boost, since difficulty drops.

Edit: to see the shuttles VP click on the missions VP icon.
    x6n9yaccx4ro.png
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I won't make it so I won't waste the resources from now. The field is too long and I don't have enough downs.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    My suggestion would be try switching to stat boosting. But try to at least get 5 or 6 runs of shuttles on Saturday and Sunday.

Edit1:
    Also be smart stat boost poor success rate and time boost better ones.
    Even better might be just to time boost best and stat boost the rest.

Edit2: keep in mind what difficulty you are. If shuttle is 4000 VP it is the most difficult (stat boosting might be better) if at lower difficulty 3500VP or less time boost might be the choice. Remember failures can drop your shuttles VP and successes can raise it. When you drop in VP that is the time to think of time boost, since difficulty drops.

Edit: to see the shuttles VP click on the missions VP icon.
    x6n9yaccx4ro.png

Right, I already switched from time boosts to stat boosts once I hit 4000 VP shuttles at some point on Friday. Or, rather, I was doing a hybrid of 2-3 shuttles on stat boost, and time boosting any shuttle mission that was giving me a natural success chance of over 80%. But, I'm finding my stat boosts aren't really doing a lot for me. Maybe 10% increase on average. I don't think I have a great crew complement for this particular event, other than Platonic Kirk and a fair selection of Trois.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Shy Khan
    Crew is always the main factor.

I cherry pick. I am only using the three seater shuttles in both factions.
    tdmhymcmw7hh.png
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

Same, the four 3 seaters (95, 95, 93 & 90% w/3* boosts) for me. Cherry picking the missions I run and staying on top of turning shuttles throughout the day are the big things for me.
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am at 150K now. Had 8 unlucky 80% shuttles yesterday, but had my overnights and mornings all succeed. My squad are enjoying my 3/5 adm Kirk as shared crew. I only have 25 3* time boosts left though. So I might come up a bit short. But I'll give it a go!
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think I’ll come close as I’m not able to monitor the shuttles coming in as I’d need to. Its nice they upped the rewards but did it for the wrong events, these are 400k yet galaxies are just 130k. I just don’t have the time or desire to pay such close attention to a game so if I get there I get there if I don’t then que sera sera. Would have been nice to get that last star for Troi but not at the expense it would require. Crossing fingers for those who are trying for it, I hope you can make the end!
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The average VP expected value of a given mission (at 4000 VP difficulty) is:

VP = 4000 * Prob(Pass) + 800 * (1-Prob(Pass))

and you can experiment with the impacts of time halving by multiplying by 2, skill boosting by modifying Prob(Pass), or changes to 4000 VP payout if you can't sustain 4000. Let's say your P(Pass) is 65% (you say 50-80% success). 2*(4000*.65 + 800*.35) = 2 * 2880 = 5760 VP / 3 hrs. A 100% success rate mission run once in the same 3 hours would still only be 4000 VP / 3 hrs, by comparison. Even two missions at 3200 VP payout and the same P(Pass) yield more VP than a single 4000 @ 100%, on average.

Prob(Pass) has to be extraordinarily low for skill boosts to be attractive, if you still have time boosts left. 1600 points from two failed missions is nothing to sneeze at. The real question is whether you think you've accumulated enough time boosts to meet your goal in this event, or want to save them for an all-out push in a different event (which of course is exactly what you're asking). If I have enough time boosts, I only switch to skill or some other boost once I've made it to a position I want to hold on to, and then use them sparingly afterwards to help guard it, saving my remaining time boosts for the next event. That's a VERY conservative strategy ... a more reasonable one would be to base it on whether I'm still climbing, holding steady, or falling in rank, since that would give an indication of how quickly others are running out of time boosts.

Sprinting to make it to the front of the pack in the first half of a marathon may not matter if one runs out of juice and can't make it to the finish...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero chances for me, there is no time even if from now on all 4 of my 4k missions succed and there is no pause while I send them every 3 hours. Unless I use a lot of boosts, there is no chance. And I had a 3/4 Platonian Kirk and a 1/4 Apollo at the beggining of the event.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sitting at 205K. Used 20 3* Reducers to speed up to 4K shuttles. Moderate cherry picking on shuttles and 3* skill boosts the rest of the way. I'm on pace for top 1K which would give the upcoming mega a nice start.

Unfortunately, this event seems to make heavy use of SCI and there are very few bonus crew for that stat.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Shy Khan
    Crew is always the main factor.

I only started cherry picking the missions Friday evening, but I should probably start sooner than that - hard to get over my "waste not want not" instincts.

P.S. Only up to 147,426VP after my assorted overnight missions completed. :/ 1806th place. Always sad to watch that slow plummet from the jump start placement of 400-something to oblivion. At this rate, I'll be lucky to stay above 3000, which I need to FF my 2/4 Platonian Kirk.
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might try dispersing your good crew over your 4 missions, which seems counterintuitive. It’s quite possible that you can get a bigger % boost by getting that lagging 50% mission up to an ok score than by loading up all the good crew on your top mission to squeeze out only a couple of % (if you’re doing that). What you want is the best average % success over all 4 shuttles, at the highest cadence possible, to max your sustained output. Marathon. :-)
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might try dispersing your good crew over your 4 missions, which seems counterintuitive. It’s quite possible that you can get a bigger % boost by getting that lagging 50% mission up to an ok score than by loading up all the good crew on your top mission to squeeze out only a couple of % (if you’re doing that). What you want is the best average % success over all 4 shuttles, at the highest cadence possible, to max your sustained output. Marathon. :-)

Good idea, though I think that might be happening naturally through the skill breakdown of the 3-seat shuttle missions. I'll do a more thorough investigation when these current ones complete, though.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [QH] Oxmyx wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ll come close as I’m not able to monitor the shuttles coming in as I’d need to. Its nice they upped the rewards but did it for the wrong events, these are 400k yet galaxies are just 130k. I just don’t have the time or desire to pay such close attention to a game so if I get there I get there if I don’t then que sera sera. Would have been nice to get that last star for Troi but not at the expense it would require. Crossing fingers for those who are trying for it, I hope you can make the end!

You’re right on. Galaxy, skirmish, and expedition are way more likely for a player to be able to reach 400k but also faction is the most profitable so there’s your answer. I would not have to do anything extra to hit 400 in those other three events but I do in a faction.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sitting just under 135,000 points right after finishing a round of shuttles. So, probably not...which doesn’t really bother me. Building up my 3* time boost stockpile is more valuable to me than getting another 1/5* that would do little more than take up space unless the right Gauntlet came by.
  • I'm at 225k on points. Did time reducers after the kick start. By Friday, I went back to just 3 hours shuttles. For Saturday, I did a couple of time reducers starting off, and now I have 2 shuttles coming in every 1.5 hours. I have only used 1 extra shuttle so far. I also had the opportunity to reset my shuttles during the night due to children waking up at weird hours. I should make it without any problem providing my shuttle success rate remains high.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sitting really well right now, but I've used 40 3* time boosts including for the kick start. It is easily enough obtainable, but not sustainable if we have faction often. For the next few weeks we'll need lots of chronitons.
  • At halfway point I am at 176k which means I would make 350k threshold but end up around 370k plus two rewards coming up so 380k

Watch this space
  • Captain May I.Captain May I. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I must be somewhere in the “non time-booster” group. I drop to 900 and jump to mid 600’s after each 3hr set. Still debating on stopping at Troi or pushing for Booster Boots Spock. Used 20 3* timers to get to 4K and running 5 9hr shuttles at night.
  • 233k so far just over 1/2way point so should get to 400k.

I think DB decided to aim the 5* Empress Troi for the top 1k of players based on the last Faction events result, rather than at the 150k mark that the 5* was previously positioned. Personally I think 200k would've been a better target.

DB keep forgetting that the game is built on goodwill, as well as selling offers at a lower cost to the majority of players who do play on a budget, rather than keep pushing the players with the most disposable income into spending more as many of them have been upset by DB and are now spending their money elsewhere.

The players who should be targetted are those from 26- 650 & 1001 to 10k
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    I have watched faction events slide from being my favorite event down to someplace close to stubbing my little toe on the coffee table. While I can understand the monetization of the event, at what point does it become excessive? And to see cases where people believe it is somehow reasonable to be sending shuttles every 1.5 hours in order to stay competitive is a bit disturbing when you consider that these same sleep deprived people may be on the road the next morning. I understand nobody is being forced to play at that level, and I no longer feel the need, but there are people out there who may not be able to do this. Best of luck to those people, and stay off the roads, okay?

over dramatic much? Theres no need to send 1.5 hour shuttles thru the night...
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Like I said, there are people who cannot help themselves. I don't do it myself.

Edit: I had a look, studies suggest 20% of vehicle accidents are the direct result of driving while fatigued. Enough drama for you?
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    Like I said, there are people who cannot help themselves. I don't do it myself.

Edit: I had a look, studies suggest 20% of vehicle accidents are the direct result of driving while fatigued. Enough drama for you?

So what?
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    lol