Home The Bridge
Options

REALITY CHECK- Campaigns- Let's talk dollars and cents.

{DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
I think the vast majority of us agree that DB way overvalues legendary characters, so I'm guessing none of us are going to be surprised if the price for the premium campaign rewards are beyond what most of us find reasonable.

So hypothetically, for the sake of this discussion, let's assume the first legendary they actually offer for money is YOUR most desirable legendary in the game. What would YOU be willing to pay for it?

Personally, while I think the other premium rewards are a nice bonus, I can't say that I'd actually buy them on their own for any price. So for me, I'd be basing my purchasing decision solely on the value of the legendary. That said, I'd go as high as $20 for Killy, but beyond that, what I'd be willing to pay for other characters would drop to zero pretty fast. So I'm curious what your thoughts are?

Comments

• Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can cherry pick weekly based on the crew, I could see 9.99 FROM TIME TO TIME. Not more unless it’s something very special or a power crew like Burnham or Falcon. In the essence of your posed question, Borg La Forge is my white whale I can never seem to get ever, and I would go up to 14.99 for him. The risk of missing a day and needing to spend more Dil is enough for me to say that’s my hard limit.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is a month long thing then we are talking alot of extras if you complete them all the way to the legendary. You’re talking...
    About 9000 honor
    2200 merits
    200 chrons
    4 10x premium shuttle boosts
    4 10x standard shuttle boosts
    300,000 credits
    8 2x shuttle rewards
    8 rental shuttles
    432 dilithium
    4 10x premium pulls
    4 single premium pulls
    1/4 super rare
    1/5 legendary

And this is spread out over a month. Now what would you value THAT as?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sorry, make that 8 each on the 10x shuttle boosts
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    If it is a month long thing then we are talking alot of extras if you complete them all the way to the legendary. You’re talking...
    About 9000 honor
    2200 merits
    200 chrons
    300,000 credits
    8 2x shuttle rewards
    8 rental shuttles
    432 dilithium
    4 10x premium pulls
    4 single premium pulls
    1/4 super rare
    1/5 legendary

Well, the beta is scheduled to last for 7 days, so I'm using that as the baseline as to how long campaigns will last, and it's already been stated that each campaign will be purchasable on it's own, unless I misinterpreted that. If campaigns lasted a month, I might be even less willing to buy them.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw the post stating it may be as long as a month. I think that’s too long to hold my attention. I think 7 or 14 days would be a lot more fun with clear progress toward the end each day. My stated limits stay the same from my previous post however. 10-15$ tops.
  • Options
    It's really just 9,99 for me.

I have spent twice or three times that amount on a few months, but never on one offer. I know that I wouldn't feel like it was worth the expense, if I spent more than that for one character. After all it's just a card in a game that I may look at a couple of times during the next months or years and, best case, use as a temporary profile picture.

Not saying that this should be everyone's take on it, by the way. If you feel comfortable spending more, then there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    I totally agree that a month is WAY too long a commitment, however I would be very willing to do it if it were treated like a mega event. Get a star each week and we were able to 4/5 the crew by the end of the month.

Well, that would CERTAINLY up the appeal.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the existing crew, I think the highest remaining must-have would be Rura Penthe Kirk. Mirror Sulu is up there as well even though his skills would be redundant and there are maybe a dozen others that are in the “very nice to have” range for either skill/trait combos or simply because they are beloved characters.

For these desperately-wanted crew, $25 for a single star or maybe $50 for multiple stars would be the limit. For the “nice to have” list, $10-15 for a single stat is about it. For anyone else that is useful for completing a tough collection or has a very specific use, probably $10. For any of the many “meh” 5* crew out there that would simple take up space, free might actually be too expensive - if I have a lot of 1/5*s that are useless I will eventually run out of crew slots as so many others have and 550 honor is not an acceptable substitute.
  • Options
    About 9000 honor
    2200 merits
    200 chrons
    300,000 credits
    8 2x shuttle rewards
    8 rental shuttles
    432 dilithium
    4 10x premium pulls
    4 single premium pulls
    1/4 super rare
    1/5 legendary

I think you are making too many assumptions about unknowns to try evaluating. You don't know that a month long campaign would have 4x the rewards as a 1 week one. So to the OP's point, disussing what you would pay for what you are currently beta testing is an entirely different exercise from speculating what a month long campaign would look like.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Not sure I have a white whale anymore. I guess I'd like to grab Gary Seven or Enemy Lines Sisko or Solar Sails Sisko, or have Locutus or Armus drop from Guantlet. Would also be happy to see Phlox au naturel or Mirror Stamets drop. Not sure I'd pay much for any of them, though. What I'd most like to see are legendary citations. Might go up to $5 for that.

Crew I'm looking to cite right now:
    • Emergency Medical Android
    • Leonardo da Vinci
    • Dr. Katharine Pulaski
    • Zhian'tara Odo
    • First Officer Burnham

Crew I'd be interested in citing after that group is done:
    • Humbled Archer
    • Alternate Future Jadzia Dax
    • Mirror Beverly Crusher
    • Captain Lorian
    • Data V
    • Romulan Picard
    • Captain Killy
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of assumptions being made here.

I stand by my original philosophy that this could be a great subscription/season pass approach for the game, which may rejuvenate the middle ground players (aka fish, dolphins, whatever).

I want DB to play around with the rewards, stretch them out, but would ultimately like to see the following on a monthly basis:

- Cost on par with monthly card. (£3.99 for me)
    - A 1/5* legendary as the prime reward.

This approach considers that while a legendary can be bought for £9.99, if you’ve put in the work for a whole month you get one for £3.99.

I would be onboard with this.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off it depends on the legendary.
    But, I am not willing to pay $25 on anybody anymore.

That is a far cry from when I first started out and needing med bought all the cadet offers for the event where AoS Crusher was the featured legendary.
    That was a total of $175.00 back then that was all of them. I ended up with a FFFE AoS Crusher and a 2F that became 3F with one more from rank.
    I directly received 3 AoS from offers, the other 4 was from 20 event packs.
    So maybe I was thinking I was spending 175.00 for 5 legendaries could have been three or it could be like I got. So I was spending $35 per a legendary then.
    But, with chance $58 per.

Once one has established crew the gain of a level of a legendary is small.
    Basically, I can have someone take over the top spot over someone else with that skill. So as time goes on our price we are willing to pay goes down.

I doubt I will pay for that tier. But I will thankfully take the free one.
    Maybe the price will be right from time to time. I doubt it I see DB charging around $50 for the tier. That being said, since it does require day to day activity for a period of time, I will say they reduce that price to $30.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Considering you have to do a bunch of stuff to get the legendary at the end of the campaign any money amount instead of dilithium is asking a lot of the non whales. These legendaries will be older and since db sells older legendaries for $9.99 without doing anything the price for the campaign with a non guaranteed legendary unless you do all the stuff should be far less. For $4 I can get a monthly card and 3000 dilithium. I can do a lot with 3000 dilithium. The price for premium campaign track should be $3 or less as with the campaign I still have to do a lot of things for seven or eight days and the legendary I can get is older and only a 1/5 which may or may not help me. I would pay $1 every week regardless of the legendary. I would pay $2 only sometimes if it was a good legendary or one I already had at 2/5 or more. I would pay $3 rarely and only if it was a great legendary. I can't see myself paying more than that.

You do make some interesting points. The one thing I do forget, what if we cannot be on everyday. How much chance do we have of getting legendary when we miss days. With that thought, I have to change my thought to what they will charge to $10. For me my thought was initially $50. I brought that down to $30 because we need to do things everyday. But now with the thought of, I the player may have to miss days and what that could mean to my chances of getting legendary, brings the price to $10.

• Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    10-15 bucks.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    RegolasRegolas ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Everyone keeps saying “it’s more work for an eventual pay out”. Who isn’t already do daily’s for the 200 honor. It’s a 5* cite (per year) and some change just for showing up plus 500 honor a month if you have the 4* and 3*s already immortal.

Now as for the price point....I’d be tempted to try a few weeks for the $1 range. I would maybe buy once in a while at the $5 range if it’s a card I already have (Dom Troi, Mirror Crusher, Braxton, Flyboy Paris(whom I don’t have but want) and probably a few others I can’t think of). If it’s more than that I’ll probably just take the 4* for honor and the other basic goodies and move on about my day.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ppl have been asking for other ways to earn more supplies/currencies so i can see how DB is trying to accomodate with something different to do, add a feature, and still profit instead of just putting more rewards in voyages for free.
    Having said that if you have to buy a card every week that would be silly. It should be a monthly card purchased at the same time as your di card. ( if you buy one). That gives you 3000 di for $5.00 roughly depending on platform and world currency exchange rate. The monthly average rewards list above is only slightly more than what could use your 3000 di on. (Excluding the 1/4,1/5 cards. But as someone else pointed out those 1/5 cards are on sale for $10.00 and the avail one now Durango Troi was just sold for that price, and both of those cards are older. If the monthly cost is going to be more than the cost of a 1/5 offer then why buy it. We can collect or build the rest of the stuff already.
    Another possible thought could be a combo purchse where you get a discount for purchasing both. Such as $12.00 US.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Everyone could just wait to see what the price is and then just buy the offer or not. Do we really need insanely long threads discussing it?

No
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Db has not finalized the cost yet so better to get our thoughts and opinions in now of what it should be for them to think about when deciding than have them set a price and then trying to get them to change it.

It is also something to do as @Banjo1012 said.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    {H} Smelly wrote: »
    I think the vast majority of us agree that DB way overvalues legendary characters, so I'm guessing none of us are going to be surprised if the price for the premium campaign rewards are beyond what most of us find reasonable.

So hypothetically, for the sake of this discussion, let's assume the first legendary they actually offer for money is YOUR most desirable legendary in the game. What would YOU be willing to pay for it?..

I'd be willing to pay $9.99 for my most desirable or any strongly desirable card. I'd be willing to pay $9.99 on a regular basis if the reward included a citation option.

While I generally agree that DB overvalues legendaries, I think this in part is a matter of what you consider their starting point valuation.

There are a number of ways to get a gold star for about $10 (taking into account the cash value of dilithium kickbacks, with admittedly a good deal of variance +/-):
    • $9.99 crew offers
    • The drop rate from 10x10 $9.99 packs is roughly one legendary (sometimes better, sometimes worse). Similar on a $/star basis for some deals like Elusive Treasures or some of the variants of 10x10.
    • $9.99 is in the ballpark of what you might invest if you were in a pay to help ensure victory (1x 5* ranked reward) position for many events - cost of buying boost packs if you don't have them, cost of topping off chrons at 1250/$9.99 if you are short, etc)

My rationale for why $9.99 is OK is, it's only something spent once or twice a week on offers or new things like Campaigns, and that's not an insane amount to spend on entertainment these days. Not everyone can bear that price, and not everyone will think the entertainment they get from it is worth the $, but the basic number isn't cray-cray. Clearly it's beyond monthly card spenders' personal comfort zones, so there's a strong argument for make it lower than $10.

If you start from assuming a DB valuation of $10, and assume that everything above ($25 DYC, Tue/Wed roll the dice crew packs, $50 buy-outright event crew) is charging a ghastly premium for "I want it NOW", then I think the question is, is ~$10 overvalued. That's a matter of judgment. Certainly multiplying it by 5 to get the full value out of your card ($50) seems overvalued. And the value of star #2/5 is especially problematic, since it does nearly nothing for performance other than unlock its potential after more future $ or work. That's a serious problem.

Wrapped around all of that though, I think we shouldn't forget this is a way for newer players to get an assured legendary before being able to win Events or have to gamble on packs. If I were to rewind myself about a year, that's kind of huge. I can see a newer player in crew-building mode being excited about this.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.