Home Ready Room
Options

The Big Book of Behold Advice

Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2022 in Ready Room

Comments

• Options
    FlayFlay ✭✭✭
    This is an absolutely insane amount of work, and it's very enlightening and even fun to read! I humbly bow down to your superior intellect and dedication!
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
  • Options
    Madman1Madman1 ✭✭✭
    The Big Book of Behold is a great resource for beholds and very often highlights something I hadn't considered and manages to do it in a fun way. Thanks for all the hard work that goes into it, it's much appreciated.
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's simply the best. If you've never seen it before, you're really in for a treat. Even if I'm 99.9% sure who I'm taking in a behold, I still scan the profiles in the Book.
  • Options
    I use this resource CONSTANTLY. I think this link should be added to the *assistance for players* thread!
  • Options
    Same. I use it for every behold (except where they are all frozen :'( )
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    A fantastic resource; well-written, with humor and balanced analysis. Gives concise advice without attempting to replace player agency. Thanks for maintaining this!
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    The captions are the best, I could read them for hours
  • Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    Fascinating read! It'll certainly help me with a cull of 4* crew that aren't earning their keep.
  • Options
    I have a question. You rank Thrax as rank #68 for Voyages. But his combined Voyage score is 3309 putting him at just above top 200. Did you mean rank #68 for Com/Sec?
  • Options
    I have a question. You rank Thrax as rank #68 for Voyages. But his combined Voyage score is 3309 putting him at just above top 200. Did you mean rank #68 for Com/Sec?

I believe you're comparing his unboosted score against a list of crew with starbase and collection bonuses. As of right now he is #68 in the level 100 spreadsheet (#70 when you factor in the gauntlet collection and #69 with no bonuses applied).
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a note, the new image additions are causing the Big Book to lag on an older Mac. It does look great, but I sort of liked the text-only format.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Just a note, the new image additions are causing the Big Book to lag on an older Mac. It does look great, but I sort of liked the text-only format.

The change was done to add a handful of functions, but yes the doc has ~600 images atm and google pages have a tendency to lag regardless. Unless I hosted my own website, there's not much I can do about that. There's a text-only link in the intro with just the crew notes.
  • Options
    Would you please post the text only link here?
  • Options
    Would you please post the text only link here?

https://bit.ly/2LazGUW
  • Options
    It now says "This resource is not currently maintained."
    Will someone else be taking over?
  • Options
    It now says "This resource is not currently maintained."
    Will someone else be taking over?

Seconding. I've only just discovered this guide, but it's already proven really valuable. Thank you for your work on it, AutomaGarters, and if anyone else picks up the reins, I'm very grateful to you too.
  • Options
    So apparently the Reddit for STT has a way to recognize Beholds in posts using Datacore to compare them. And a bunch of players are spamming the Reddit with images of their beholds with little context to the point where it is spammy.
    Possibly work has stopped on it in protest.
  • Options
    Oh no! This is one of the most valuable tools for this game, I hope someone is willing to take over the project!
  • Options
    So apparently the Reddit for STT has a way to recognize Beholds in posts using Datacore to compare them. And a bunch of players are spamming the Reddit with images of their beholds with little context to the point where it is spammy.
    Possibly work has stopped on it in protest.

I don't get that concept... If people are spamming reddit excessively, shouldn't the forum mods delete some posts and warn the users to stop or be banned? I don't see how that would affect this google doc being updated (especially since a lot of people using it don't visit the reddit forum regularly).
  • Options
    I don't know all of the details and probably shouldn't post links. We will hopefully get the full story in time.
  • Options
    "Protest" is a strong word. The real deal is that writing, maintaining and updating a document this comprehensive is a tremendous amount of work, especially for one or two people. That has far more to do with it than the Reddit Behold Bot. There are things going on behind the scenes that may allow it to continue in some form. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else having trouble opening the big book tonight? Or is just my ancient iPad?
  • Options
    Is anyone else having trouble opening the big book tonight? Or is just my ancient iPad?

The doc's ever-growing size does mean longer load times. You are not the only person that has difficulty loading it at times. I would not at all mind a different format that circumvents the issue, doubly so if it would allow me to edit it in locations where Google docs are inaccessible, but I am no programmer and certainly cannot pay any amount for hosting something. If someone has ideas though, I'm all ears.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also consider this great resource for helping pull data out of the big book. I know sometimes you want to look at the full list but sometimes this resource is helpful for a specific crew comparison or just looking up a few specific crew that will probably work better on your ipad:
    https://datacore.netlify.com/behold
  • Options
    [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Also consider this great resource for helping pull data out of the big book. I know sometimes you want to look at the full list but sometimes this resource is helpful for a specific crew comparison or just looking up a few specific crew that will probably work better on your ipad:
    https://datacore.netlify.com/behold

The Datacore site also has a text-only version of the complete Big Book.

https://datacore.netlify.com/bigbook/

It seems to update about a day after any changes are made to the original doc, but otherwise is completely up to date.
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think it is just load times (I get that and am ok with it). I am getting redirected to a google help screen on how to clear cookies from Chrome (I use safari - and have cleared my cookies from safari, just to be safe).

Has anyone else experienced this redirect (meaning there isn’t really anything I can do myself) or is this an issue only I am experiencing (meaning I will continue my own troubleshooting)?
  • Options
    I don’t think it is just load times (I get that and am ok with it). I am getting redirected to a google help screen on how to clear cookies from Chrome (I use safari - and have cleared my cookies from safari, just to be safe).

Has anyone else experienced this redirect (meaning there isn’t really anything I can do myself) or is this an issue only I am experiencing (meaning I will continue my own troubleshooting)?

I am getting that same error on the mobile version of Reddit, so no, it's not just you. I do not know what is causing it or how to fix it, so any help would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some reading on the subject, it appears you two aren't alone. Especially seems to come up with Safari and apple products in general. This link gives a command to do a "hard reset" of the browser that might help, gives the command for chrome/safari:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/8e8bq0/psa_if_youre_facing_the_too_many_redirects_with/

This link talks about how to turn off cross-site tracking, which sounds like a paranoid feature to prevent relevant advertising to me:
    https://www.macobserver.com/news/google-drive-redirects-error/

another method talking about enabling cookies for specific sites:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/a4foyh/gmail_on_chrome_only_too_many_redirects_new/

hope these help!
  • Options
    Yep, using Safari and can’t access it now. Keeps telling me to clear my cache, which has already been done.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.