Home The Bridge

Two Skill Crew

Comments

• IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I have them both and I use Queen Kira WAY more often.

Com Kira is the 7th best CMD base in the game. Queen Kira is at #32 for SEC. I call shenanigans.
    All you need is one good bonus crew to put your shuttle at a winning percentage. You win factions by spreading them out wisely. If I have enough, I will rent shuttles until I am no longer at an 80% success rate. With one good bonus crew and the rest non-bonus I can still be over 90%. Why would I put all my bonus eggs on one shuttle when I can spread them out over 6 or 8 shuttles and succeed them all? That is how crew choice will win you factions. Brute force will not win cuz you still need to succeed those shuttles.

Why would you even have one seat not occupied by non-bonus crew? Understandable if you're relatively fresh at the game but not for a seasoned player. Brute force always wins. Its more sensible to buy 2x5*'s for the event than using DIL speed-ups to rush a 9hr shuttle but there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it.

In any event, two-skill crew are not balanced around having better base stats. They're randomly assigned 2 skills with a random amount of stats. For every Culber in game, there's a One Zero Zero One. There's little point in having them around unless they have something else interesting about them.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »

Com Kira is the 7th best CMD base in the game. Queen Kira is at #32 for SEC. I call shenanigans.
    All you need is one good bonus crew to put your shuttle at a winning percentage. You win factions by spreading them out wisely. If I have enough, I will rent shuttles until I am no longer at an 80% success rate. With one good bonus crew and the rest non-bonus I can still be over 90%. Why would I put all my bonus eggs on one shuttle when I can spread them out over 6 or 8 shuttles and succeed them all? That is how crew choice will win you factions. Brute force will not win cuz you still need to succeed those shuttles.

Why would you even have one seat not occupied by non-bonus crew? Understandable if you're relatively fresh at the game but not for a seasoned player. Brute force always wins. Its more sensible to buy 2x5*'s for the event than using DIL speed-ups to rush a 9hr shuttle but there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it.

In any event, two-skill crew are not balanced around having better base stats. They're randomly assigned 2 skills with a random amount of stats. For every Culber in game, there's a One Zero Zero One. There's little point in having them around unless they have something else interesting about them.

I thought we were done with the two skill crew thing. I have better COM/DIP than Kira. I only have one SEC/ COM better than Queen Kira. No shenanigans, that’s just my crew. And I told you why I only have one bonus crew on a shuttle. Case in point. During the Number One event, I had enough bonus crew to have one each on a shuttle while sending out 12 to 14 shuttles at a time, all with success rates over 80%. That was at the height of the shuttle rental offers and the height of the IamPicard cheat. That event was an all-out bloodbath and I finished 4th despite never using IamPicard once in my life. How did I finish that high? Because I spread my bonus crew out wisely and succeeded a dozen shuttles at a time instead of 4.

• Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    There are few, if any, players more selective about which crew they keep than @Banjo1012 . If there are 2 skill crew that Banjo thinks is worth keeping, I'm definitely listening to that advice.

You mean besides every VIP0 player in the game? If I had to talk to someone about crew I would be more inclined to trust the word of a VIP0 player who wins events.

No, I don't mean that. I was a VIP 0 for quite a while, and no where near as selective with my crew. I meant what I wrote and wrote what I meant, read it again if you're having trouble understanding.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are few, if any, players more selective about which crew they keep than @Banjo1012 . If there are 2 skill crew that Banjo thinks is worth keeping, I'm definitely listening to that advice.

You mean besides every VIP0 player in the game? If I had to talk to someone about crew I would be more inclined to trust the word of a VIP0 player who wins events.

A VIP0 will not win a faction event. A galaxy can be won by anyone with proper planning. Anyone can win a skirmish with steel fingers and no sleep
    Your crew choices won't win you a faction event either. It can be brute forced just like any other event. You can make poor choices on crew and still do well if you set your mind to it.

If you want to do well at faction, you're not going to be using non-bonus crew unless there are a sufficient number of non-bonus crew seats. That sometimes happens although I can't think of any recent event where it was problematic. If it is problematic, there are a variety of good 3-skill crew that have very high bases.

If I was to look at a crew like Queen Kira, I'd see a two-skill crew with passable stats. Kol, Kortar and Thrax all have better base SEC. She does have a decent ship ability, has nice art and will have some utility on "some" Kira events. I passed on her as soon as I saw her. Commander Kira I should've taken on the other hand. That's a serious Kira for anyone to get.

I have them both and I use Queen Kira WAY more often. All you need is one good bonus crew to put your shuttle at a winning percentage. You win factions by spreading them out wisely. If I have enough, I will rent shuttles until I am no longer at an 80% success rate. With one good bonus crew and the rest non-bonus I can still be over 90%. Why would I put all my bonus eggs on one shuttle when I can spread them out over 6 or 8 shuttles and succeed them all? That is how crew choice will win you factions. Brute force will not win cuz you still need to succeed those shuttles.

My thoughts on queen kira versus commander are summarized by this

Queen Kira
    ewj45urobwc6.jpeg

Active Kira’s
    uswt8toqwtjg.jpeg

I thought we were done with the two skill crew thing. I have better COM/DIP than Kira. I only have one SEC/ COM better than Queen Kira. No shenanigans, that’s just my crew. And I told you why I only have one bonus crew on a shuttle. Case in point. During the Number One event, I had enough bonus crew to have one each on a shuttle while sending out 12 to 14 shuttles at a time, all with success rates over 80%. That was at the height of the shuttle rental offers and the height of the IamPicard cheat. That event was an all-out bloodbath and I finished 4th despite never using IamPicard once in my life. How did I finish that high? Because I spread my bonus crew out wisely and succeeded a dozen shuttles at a time instead of 4.

We're not done with the two skill thing. Its the topic of the thread.

And how is 12-14 shuttles at a time not brute force? Seriously, you're justifying keeping around limited crew so you might be able to run 12-14 shuttles at a time. Speaking on behalf of the player base that doesn't pay for rentals at all, there's little need to do keep that kind of surplus crew around. Even if you think you need that kind of power, you're almost always going to be better off keeping around a strong selection of 3-skill crew instead.

And how is 12-14 shuttles at a time not brute force? Seriously, you're justifying keeping around limited crew so you might be able to run 12-14 shuttles at a time. Speaking on behalf of the player base that doesn't pay for rentals at all, there's little need to do keep that kind of surplus crew around. Even if you think you need that kind of power, you're almost always going to be better off keeping around a strong selection of 3-skill crew instead.

You questioned my strategy. I answered. Sometimes a conversation goes in a different direction and that’s ok.

Paladin 27 wrote: »

A VIP0 will not win a faction event. A galaxy can be won by anyone with proper planning. Anyone can win a skirmish with steel fingers and no sleep
    Your crew choices won't win you a faction event either. It can be brute forced just like any other event. You can make poor choices on crew and still do well if you set your mind to it.

If you want to do well at faction, you're not going to be using non-bonus crew unless there are a sufficient number of non-bonus crew seats. That sometimes happens although I can't think of any recent event where it was problematic. If it is problematic, there are a variety of good 3-skill crew that have very high bases.

If I was to look at a crew like Queen Kira, I'd see a two-skill crew with passable stats. Kol, Kortar and Thrax all have better base SEC. She does have a decent ship ability, has nice art and will have some utility on "some" Kira events. I passed on her as soon as I saw her. Commander Kira I should've taken on the other hand. That's a serious Kira for anyone to get.

I have them both and I use Queen Kira WAY more often. All you need is one good bonus crew to put your shuttle at a winning percentage. You win factions by spreading them out wisely. If I have enough, I will rent shuttles until I am no longer at an 80% success rate. With one good bonus crew and the rest non-bonus I can still be over 90%. Why would I put all my bonus eggs on one shuttle when I can spread them out over 6 or 8 shuttles and succeed them all? That is how crew choice will win you factions. Brute force will not win cuz you still need to succeed those shuttles.

My thoughts on queen kira versus commander are summarized by this

Queen Kira
    ewj45urobwc6.jpeg

Active Kira’s
    uswt8toqwtjg.jpeg

And you have every crew member the game ever put out so you’re choices are greater than mere mortals such as myself

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why the discussion is silly. Two stat vs three stat debate is meaningless absent actual crew.

Sure I prefer a three stat crew where the first two are the same as a two stat crew. That's obviously a better crew. But I'll take a good stat two crew over a bad three stat crew, and I'll take a good three stat crew over a bad two stat crew.

Since DB assigns stats at random and 2 vs 3 has no influence on the stats I really don't care if the crew has two or three stats, only if they have good stats.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I agree with the comment, about this debate becoming silly. Think it just proves everyone has their own strategies, and really at the end of the day the proof is in the results.

I think banjo has proven he must be doing something right, in the fact that he wins events, and to compare him to a vip0 player, is a cheap shot, and a passive aggressive way to imply that he only wins cause he spends.

I still stand by my statements made earlier, I find usefulness for crew with 2 stats, but agree they are not always as versatile. I have also ranked 1, and top 10 during events and gauntlet, so again the proof is in the results;)
    DeanWins wrote: »
    I agree with the comment, about this debate becoming silly. Think it just proves everyone has their own strategies, and really at the end of the day the proof is in the results.

I think banjo has proven he must be doing something right, in the fact that he wins events, and to compare him to a vip0 player, is a cheap shot, and a passive aggressive way to imply that he only wins cause he spends.

I still stand by my statements made earlier, I find usefulness for crew with 2 stats, but agree they are not always as versatile. I have also ranked 1, and top 10 during events and gauntlet, so again the proof is in the results;)

A great summary and very well said by someone who obviously knows what it takes

• Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭

Banjo it's great to have someone with your perspective sharing a heavy extra-shuttle strategy spreading out the % instead of aiming for 4 x 99% shuttles. Most players won't have the number of spare shuttles and anywhere near the fused crew level to follow your suggestions. Thus, while your perspective is obviously very effective, it's not really geared towards many people.

Banjo it's great to have someone with your perspective sharing a heavy extra-shuttle strategy spreading out the % instead of aiming for 4 x 99% shuttles. Most players won't have the number of spare shuttles and anywhere near the fused crew level to follow your suggestions. Thus, while your perspective is obviously very effective, it's not really geared towards many people.

I hear ya, but when the campaign is over many people will have a decent amount of shuttle rentals built up. And honestly I didn’t mean that as a general statement to throw out there, it was in response to my apparently weak strategy so I felt I needed to explain it to just that one person.

Right now tokens are the main way to diffentiate from 10th place down to 50th using minimum resources.

It might not be running 12-14 (or 24 as I’ve done) shuttles the whole way, but running 5 extra with 9 hour doublers. For 50 saved tokens you can get an extra ~350k VP tbroughout the event.

Right now tokens are the main way to diffentiate from 10th place down to 50th using minimum resources.

It might not be running 12-14 (or 24 as I’ve done) shuttles the whole way, but running 5 extra with 9 hour doublers. For 50 saved tokens you can get an extra ~350k VP tbroughout the event.

I’ll run 20 or close to it overnight, but for success I need to used 5* skill boosts. I’m also the wake up through the night and reset guy too, so that helps

edited May 2019
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I hear ya, but when the campaign is over many people will have a decent amount of shuttle rentals built up. And honestly I didn’t mean that as a general statement to throw out there, it was in response to my apparently weak strategy so I felt I needed to explain it to just that one person.

I went back and re-read your strat. Your wording wasn't very clear and I assumed you were sending out 16 crew for shuttles. Instead you were probably sending out 16 total shuttles. Having never rented a shuttle, it never occurred to me that so many simultaneous shuttles are used and most of the extra VP is from aggressive use of time reduction with moderate shuttle rentals.

I should also point out that people will not have a decent amount of rentals built up. I'll have 75 in total after the campaign and that's only because I bought the premium campaign. I have obtained every single free rental ever given out in game.

AviTrek wrote: »

I went back and re-read your strat. Your wording wasn't very clear and I assumed you were sending out 16 crew for shuttles. Instead you were probably sending out 16 total shuttles. Having never rented a shuttle, it never occurred to me that so many simultaneous shuttles are used and most of the extra VP is from aggressive use of time reduction with moderate shuttle rentals.

I should also point out that people will not have a decent amount of rentals built up. I'll have 75 in total after the campaign and that's only because I bought the premium campaign. I have obtained every single free rental ever given out in game.

It’s over man. Let’s just finally lay this one to rest.

• Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Perhaps this is a good area to upgrade your roster, then. Queen Guinevere is an objectively average shuttle crew - no base above 1100/top 30 and outside the top 25 options for "SEC and CMD" seats as well.

You're a fellow value over replacement acolyte - I'm not seeing the sense in highly recommending a crew with average-at-best stats in the most common skill pairing whose frequent shuttle seating does not give an advantage due to the plethora of available options.
    edited May 2019

Perhaps this is a good area to upgrade your roster, then. Queen Guinevere is an objectively average shuttle crew - no base above 1100/top 30 and outside the top 25 options for "SEC and CMD" seats as well.

You're a fellow value over replacement acolyte - I'm not seeing the sense in highly recommending a crew with average-at-best stats in the most common skill pairing whose frequent shuttle seating does not give an advantage due to the plethora of available options.

OK, believe me, please, believe me when I say I am very happy with the crew I have. I have a very well balanced crew that has no holes. I can hit a 10 hour voyage no matter what the skill set is and I can certainly pass 4 shuttles at 4000 VP no matter what the skills are. I do not look at my roster and say “I wish....or it would be nice...” I look at it and say “Now that’s a damn good crew.” And I filled all my skill point over replacement desires when I got two MED/SCI heavy crew this past week, which now makes 4 and makes that combo a 10 hour voyage easily every time. To add a hundred or so extra points to a skill combo just isn’t worth the chase to me. It’s not enough of an improvement to make me go after it
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I would not say Queen Kira is average
    m158se5tanqp.jpg

Only one crew has a SEC and CMD Base over 1100 each and that's Hawk ok 3 Skill wins on this occasion, but it's not to say she isn't a top 10 option for a SEC and CMD seat option. She is not average in her field only the field is narrow but as you say with such high demand in that field surely it would be best to have as many of them as possible.

[was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    m158se5tanqp.jpg

Only one crew has a SEC and CMD Base over 1100 each and that's Hawk ok 3 Skill wins on this occasion, but it's not to say she isn't a top 10 option for a SEC and CMD seat option. She is not average in her field only the field is narrow but as you say with such high demand in that field surely it would be best to have as many of them as possible.

I have at least five of the at 5/5 that I can think of right off the top of my head. And at least five COM/SEC as I will always fill shuttles in the proper AND order whether the bug was fixed or not.

Well yes with bonuses there are a few more options not in that list, the likes of:

High Roller Sisko, Falcon O'Brien, Mirror Picard, Kol, Mirror Reed, Mirror Sulu, Mirror Landry, Rejac all probably hit 1100 in both skills with good bonuses. Point is Kira can near enough do it without bonuses so that makes her more so a stronger card.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    Well yes with bonuses there are a few more options not in that list, the likes of:

High Roller Sisko, Falcon O'Brien, Mirror Picard, Kol, Mirror Reed, Mirror Sulu, Mirror Landry, Rejac all probably hit 1100 in both skills with good bonuses. Point is Kira can near enough do it without bonuses so that makes her more so a stronger card.

The formula on an and shuttle is high skill plus 1/4 of the low skill not the best 2nd skill or total skill points. Meaning all the other sec cmd cards where sec is 100 points better than kira and cmd is 100-200 worse are better.

The formula on an and shuttle is high skill plus 1/4 of the low skill not the best 2nd skill or total skill points. Meaning all the other sec cmd cards where sec is 100 points better than kira and cmd is 100-200 worse are better.

Yay
    edited May 2019

Well it all depends on what tinkering they do behind the scenes, if they tinker with how many transmissions you can open one week to the next who knows what tinkering they do behind the scenes with the more complicated dynamics. That being said 25% is still a significant proportion and could make the difference if the skill point wasn't high enough.

Personal preference for me is to send crew strongest in both skills regardless. Similarly voyages you wouldn't overstack on the gold star skill when the silver star is still a significant proportion - you would want to be strong on both skills maybe stronger on the gold yes but not by a huge margin.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    m158se5tanqp.jpg

Even bases is not an advantageous attribute, higher score is what matters. I'm assuming you know how shuttle success is calculated, but even if you believe "and" seats are bugged, she is not a top 10 option any way you slice it.

Working "CMD and SEC":
    #1. Pah-wraith Keiko - 1657
    #2. High Roller Sisko - 1607
    #3. Falcon O'Brien - 1582
    #4. Durango Troi - 1559
    #5. Assimilated Hawk - 1549
    #6. EV Suit Burnham - 1544
    #7. First Officer Burnham - 1526
    #8. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #9. Five of Twelve - 1517
    #10. Warship Tuvok - 1515
    #11. Governor Worf - 1513
    #12. Protomorphosis Worf - 1492
    #13. Joachim - 1491
    #14. Rura Penthe Commandant - 1483
    #15. Lonzak - 1482
    #16. Emperor Philippa Georgiou - 1471
    #17. Christopher Pike - 1466
    #18. Mirror Ellen Landry - 1449
    #19. Kortar - 1440
    #20. EV Suit Archer - 1431
    #21. Usurper Lorca - 1426
    #22. Niners Sisko - 1412
    #23. Klingon Janeway - 1411
    #24. Wrathful Khan - 1405
    #25. Augment Picard - 1398
    #26. Captain Killy - 1392
    #27. Dahar Master Koloth - 1387
    #28. Thrax - 1387
    #29. Kol of House Kor - 1378
    #30. Queen Guinevere Kira - 1367

Bugged "SEC and CMD":
    #1. High Roller Sisko - 1607
    #2. Falcon O'Brien - 1582
    #3. Durango Troi - 1559
    #4. Assimilated Hawk - 1549
    #5. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #6. Warship Tuvok - 1515
    #7. Protomorphosis Worf - 1492
    #8. Joachim - 1491
    #9. Lonzak - 1482
    #10. Mirror Reed - 1461
    #11. Mirror Ellen Landry - 1449
    #12. Kortar - 1440
    #13. Usurper Lorca - 1426
    #14. Klingon Janeway - 1411
    #15. Wrathful Khan - 1405
    #16. Augment Picard - 1398
    #17. Dahar Master Koloth - 1387
    #18. Thrax - 1387
    #19. Kol of House Kor - 1378
    #20. Queen Guinevere Kira - 1367

Bugged "CMD and SEC":
    #2. EV Suit Burnham - 1544
    #3. First Officer Burnham - 1526
    #4. Five of Twelve - 1517
    #5. Governor Worf - 1513
    #6. Rura Penthe Commandant - 1483
    #7. Emperor Philippa Georgiou - 1471
    #8. Christopher Pike - 1466
    #9. Assimilated Hawk - 1455
    #10. EV Suit Archer - 1431
    #11. Niners Sisko - 1412
    #12. Captain Killy - 1392
    #13. Captain Braxton - 1364
    #14. Queen Guinevere Kira - 1358
    OK, believe me, please, believe me when I say I am very happy with the crew I have. I have a very well balanced crew that has no holes...To add a hundred or so extra points to a skill combo just isn’t worth the chase to me. It’s not enough of an improvement to make me go after it

I'm happy for you, and I mean that sincerely. That doesn't change the fact that recommending Kira in particular as awesome disagrees with pretty much every objective metric.
    edited May 2019
    The question I think you need to ask is what causes a shuttle to pass or fail is it a success bar indicator or the actual skill(s) score being tested?
    m158se5tanqp.jpg

Even bases is not an advantageous attribute, higher score is what matters. I'm assuming you know how shuttle success is calculated, but even if you believe "and" seats are bugged, she is not a top 10 option any way you slice it.

Working "CMD and SEC":
    #4. Durango Troi - 1559
    #8. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #13. Joachim - 1491
    #15. Lonzak - 1482
    #19. Kortar - 1440
    #22. Niners Sisko - 1412
    #28. Thrax - 1387

Bugged "SEC and CMD":
    #3. Durango Troi - 1559
    #5. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #6. Warship Tuvok - 1515
    #8. Joachim - 1491
    #9. Lonzak - 1482
    #10. Mirror Reed - 1461
    #12. Kortar - 1440
    #18. Thrax - 1387

Bugged "CMD and SEC":
    #5. Governor Worf - 1513
    #11. Niners Sisko - 1412
    OK, believe me, please, believe me when I say I am very happy with the crew I have. I have a very well balanced crew that has no holes...To add a hundred or so extra points to a skill combo just isn’t worth the chase to me. It’s not enough of an improvement to make me go after it

I'm happy for you, and I mean that sincerely. That doesn't change the fact that recommending Kira in particular as awesome disagrees with pretty much every objective metric.

Yay

• [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    m158se5tanqp.jpg

Working "CMD and SEC":
    #4. Durango Troi - 1559
    #8. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #13. Joachim - 1491
    #15. Lonzak - 1482
    #19. Kortar - 1440
    #22. Niners Sisko - 1412
    #28. Thrax - 1387

Bugged "SEC and CMD":
    #3. Durango Troi - 1559
    #5. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #6. Warship Tuvok - 1515
    #8. Joachim - 1491
    #9. Lonzak - 1482
    #10. Mirror Reed - 1461
    #12. Kortar - 1440
    #18. Thrax - 1387

Bugged "CMD and SEC":
    #5. Governor Worf - 1513
    #11. Niners Sisko - 1412

Yay

Both these things can be true:

1) A crew or skill combination has options that are better, statistically, than the crew you have
    2) You have the crew you want to fill a need, have decided it is "good enough," and you don't want to go to the time/effort/trouble to replace it with a card you find less enjoyable to use for an upgrade of, at best, a few percentage points

It is a collecting game, first and foremost. Upgrading shuttle skills and voyage totals are ultimately just tools that allow you to gather more resources to collect more crew that you want. If you already have the crew you want, and you are accomplishing the resource gathering you want to your satisfaction, the differences are largely immaterial.

Me? I am a stat junkie, and I love digging deep into the numbers looking for and acquiring the absolute cream of the crop, regardless of the faces attached to them. But I acknowledge and appreciate that there are numerous ways to skin this here cat, and they can all add up to the same sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, regardless of if they are the same choices I would make or not.
    m158se5tanqp.jpg

Working "CMD and SEC":
    #4. Durango Troi - 1559
    #8. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #13. Joachim - 1491
    #15. Lonzak - 1482
    #19. Kortar - 1440
    #22. Niners Sisko - 1412
    #28. Thrax - 1387

Bugged "SEC and CMD":
    #3. Durango Troi - 1559
    #5. Mirror Sulu - 1525
    #6. Warship Tuvok - 1515
    #8. Joachim - 1491
    #9. Lonzak - 1482
    #10. Mirror Reed - 1461
    #12. Kortar - 1440
    #18. Thrax - 1387

Bugged "CMD and SEC":
    #5. Governor Worf - 1513
    #11. Niners Sisko - 1412

Yay

Both these things can be true:

1) A crew or skill combination has options that are better, statistically, than the crew you have
    2) You have the crew you want to fill a need, have decided it is "good enough," and you don't want to go to the time/effort/trouble to replace it with a card you find less enjoyable to use for an upgrade of, at best, a few percentage points

It is a collecting game, first and foremost. Upgrading shuttle skills and voyage totals are ultimately just tools that allow you to gather more resources to collect more crew that you want. If you already have the crew you want, and you are accomplishing the resource gathering you want to your satisfaction, the differences are largely immaterial.

Me? I am a stat junkie, and I love digging deep into the numbers looking for and acquiring the absolute cream of the crop, regardless of the faces attached to them. But I acknowledge and appreciate that there are numerous ways to skin this here cat, and they can all add up to the same sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, regardless of if they are the same choices I would make or not.

Another great summary and very well said.

The problem with this logic is that this particular recommendation comes at the expense of 3 Mega-event crew that are all better AND a version of the same crew that has much better stats in general.

Filling a personal need is fine. I recently took a copy of Will Scarlett over Virtuoso Doctor for example. That shouldn't be taken as a recommendation for anyone else.