Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: On the Backs of Giants - 07/18

Comments

• Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Truth be told, while I do enjoy Discovery, I can also empathize with the sentiment that it doesn't always feel terribly Trek-like. Which is not to say that I do not have hopes that it will continue to evolve, and that they'll find a much closer affinity with what I personally want to see from a Star Trek series.

A season review in one of the print mags I read earlier phrased it quite well really:

Discovery is fun and can have traces of Star Trek. Not more, not less.

For the most part the lack of a unique identity was criticised. That has reasons of course. Like the ever changing showrunners. But I sign that. That it started as a prequel and is now basically a sequel is the best example really.

But many Star Trek series needed time and seasons to find their footing. Imho the next season will be the break or make one. Now they don´t need to fit everything into what came before. But can create their own canon. Hopefully it will be satisfying for all who watch and enjoy the show.

P.S.: Great posting in every sense.

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for hating Discovery and hating those who hate on Discovery. Please keep it going while I skirmish so I don't miss anything relevant to the event.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos for showcasing some of the Black women of Trek, DB! Honored Owosekun and Commander Uhura (in one of her coolest moments, no less!) in the Featured Crew, and Dr. Pollard in the rank table, is pretty neat. I love "Yesteryear" and am thrilled to see it acknowledged and celebrated, but I gotta admit, I did not see Aleek-Om coming. At all. Very fun!

I can't think of any obvious 2* or 3* crew for this one, so maybe some newcomers are in store?

Thank you, your post made me realize I had totally confused him with Tchar from "The Jihad." Much appreciated clarity!
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Data1001 that is the perfect post. I was meh on Disco season one and enjoyed season two much more. It felt more like Trek. Saru is great and I’ll admit to a bit of a man crush on Anson Mount as Pike. In my opinion the whole premise of season one was a mistake and the revolving door of people working on the show really hurt it.

That said, other than parts of seasons 4-7, my least favorite Trek is Voyager. To me it was plodding and when it was bad, it was really bad. It’s just my opinion though (I’m an expert on my own opinion) and I still have fun collecting the cards and will go for top 1,500 when one suits my crew needs.

I do agree that the incessant posting of “I hate Discovery”’every tine someone mentions it does get old, as I’m sure if every time someone mentioned Voyager I brought up that I don’t like it or if Data did the same when DS9 was mentioned.

Speaking of plodding, I think this post has become TLDR. 🖖🏻
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollard had some lines. If you recall she was explaining what was going on with Culber to Pike after they saved him from what? Mushroom Land is it?
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Pollard had some lines. If you recall she was explaining what was going on with Culber to Pike after they saved him from what? Mushroom Land is it?

She was first introduced when she was trying to explain to Saru what was happening to Tyler from what I remember.
  • Options
    Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, agreed @gobolts07 . I started taking steps away from the fandom a while ago because the fights between the pro and anti Bad Robot crowds were getting ugly and tiresome. Sure it's nice to share your enthusiasm of things with other people, but the other side of that coin seems to be people 24/7 shouting and swearing at each other, both sides with a massively cocksure sense of their own superiority, and that's a lifestyle I can do without.

I didn't care much for Enterprise, at best it was a meh to average show for me. But I don't waste my time going around slagging off everyone who loved that show each and every time its name appears on the internet. I just leave its fans to it, tastes are subjective after all. Much the same with Discovery. It's not the worst show in the world, but I get the same feeling of meh-ness I got from Enterprise. Feels like Trek had creatively burned itself out by about 99/00. Just my opinion of course.

And don't worry about the length of your post. Three paragraphs is hardly TLDR. :)
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    It is going to be fun around here if the Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie ever gets made...

As long as it has Sammy J you know it is gonna be awesome!!! Plus as a plot point maybe they visit a snake planet and a whole bunch of snakes get on the plane....errr...ship.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't care much for Enterprise, at best it was a meh to average show for me. But I don't waste my time going around slagging off everyone who loved that show each and every time its name appears on the internet. I just leave its fans to it, tastes are subjective after all.

For which we Enterprise fans thank you.

Also, I share your sentiment. What others do or don't like really doesn't affect me.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't care much for Enterprise, at best it was a meh to average show for me. But I don't waste my time going around slagging off everyone who loved that show each and every time its name appears on the internet. I just leave its fans to it, tastes are subjective after all.

Also, I share your sentiment. What others do or don't like really doesn't affect me.

We Enterprise fans have to stick together!

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed we do! 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Enterprise too. Too bad it got cancelled right when it was getting good. Don’t even get me started on them killing off Trip...
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    gobolts07 wrote: »

I like Enterprise too. Too bad it got cancelled right when it was getting good. Don’t even get me started on them killing off Trip...

For some reason the books were allowed to ignore that. Thankfully.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't think of any obvious 2* or 3* crew for this one, so maybe some newcomers are in store?

how about a 2* or 3* TAS Swear Trek Uhura?

tumblr_oloe1hc1HX1vaqoiqo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gobolts07 wrote: »

I feel like they cut the Mirror arc short because they were cancelling, they had a certain amount of episodes left, and they had a deal with Peter Weller which they HAD to do the terra prime arc. It’s a shame cuz I’d really like to know how the mirror arc ended
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth noting is that they've largely gotten away from tying the 2* or 3* to events as directly as they used to, so there's no reason it won't end up being Telek R'Mor and Ambassador Fox. I'd be pleased with a new 2* or 3* Uhura, though! Maybe Command Uniform Uhura from "Where No Man Has Gone Before", or Slumber Party Uhura from TMP? I'd also be cool with a 2* Mr. Adventure.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    But I am hoping in time that they will try watching it or rewatching it and see some of what we Discovery lovers love about it. I love the depth of the characters. Burnham is an interesting character that I enjoy now though she bugged me to no end in the first two episodes. Sarek, Pike, Spock, and Number One were great additions and tied the series more to TOS and TNG.

I know you love Discovery much and I respect that. We all have different tastes after all. But when there is one thing I don´t see it is depth of the characters. Most of the bridge crew are zero flashed out so far. Everything centers around Burnham. The ultimate Mary Sue of everything who always has the right idea at the right time.

Anson Mount on the other hand was perfectly cast and well written. And as you said: It tied in nicely to the past, but so also took away much shine from the Discovery cast. Also and especially through the final moments of the last episode. Which somehow reminded me of "These are the Voyages" (aka a focus on the "wrong" crew). Many people are very hot for new adventures of Pike, not so much for more of Discovery.

And this "no one is allowed to mention the Discovery and her crew etc." to explain away canon contradicting stuff is simply bad writing. Let´s assume even if everyone in Starfleet would stick to it, what about the other species they met so far? Especially the Klingons. They wrote themselves into a corner with some decisions and opted for a lame way out of it.

Also as I said earlier in this thread in a way the show didn´t know clearly which kind of stories they wanted to tell exactly. Hence it started as a prequel and is now a sequel. I enjoyed some episodes and had fun watching Discovery. But there is much room for improvement yet. The coming season will decide the path for it imho.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I am hoping in time that they will try watching it or rewatching it and see some of what we Discovery lovers love about it. I love the depth of the characters. Burnham is an interesting character that I enjoy now though she bugged me to no end in the first two episodes. Sarek, Pike, Spock, and Number One were great additions and tied the series more to TOS and TNG.

I know you love Discovery much and I respect that. We all have different tastes after all. But when there is one thing I don´t see it is depth of the characters. Most of the bridge crew are zero flashed out so far. Everything centers around Burnham. The ultimate Mary Sue of everything who always has the right idea at the right time.

Anson Mount on the other hand was perfectly cast and well written. And as you said: It tied in nicely to the past, but so also took away much shine from the Discovery cast. Also and especially through the final moments of the last episode. Which somehow reminded me of "These are the Voyages" (aka a focus on the "wrong" crew). Many people are very hot for new adventures of Pike, not so much for more of Discovery.

And this "no one is allowed to mention the Discovery and her crew etc." to explain away canon contradicting stuff is simply bad writing. Let´s assume even if everyone in Starfleet would stick to it, what about the other species they met so far? Especially the Klingons. They wrote themselves into a corner with some decisions and opted for a lame way out of it.

Also as I said earlier in this thread in a way the show didn´t know clearly which kind of stories they wanted to tell exactly. Hence it started as a prequel and is now a sequel. I enjoyed some episodes and had fun watching Discovery. But there is much room for improvement yet. The coming season will decide the path for it imho.

I agree that it is a lame way to explain it, by saying r ethane is sworn to secrecy. That doesn’t fly. There would be records of it, and hundreds of years later it is still totally unknown? And count me in the camp of let’s now follow Pike, Number One, and Spock, i liked the Discovery crew but they are played out, especially if we are just going to be treated to more Burnham crying and all the sentiment

• Options
    edited July 2019

I have a real problem with the term "Mary Sue." It reeks of sexism.

At least from my side zero. It is a commonly used term for characters like Burnham and Rey as you said yourself. Also in serious zero sexistic magazines or used by women to describe other women. The term was even created by a woman btw. Also that word dismissed you use doesn´t quite fit. How could you dismiss someone who is near perfect ;) Seems you have sensible sunday today...

The main point was that while you love Discovery I don´t see the depth of characters you spoke of. And that the show while enjoyable had quite a few problems. You didn´t touch on any of that, but only exploded about a term you didn´t like so no need to say more. When others like me respect your love of that show, you should also respect the opinion of others who find it ok, but not as brill as you do.

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Regarding the OP, I am looking forward to adding another TAS character to my crew, as well as finishing & freezing my 3/4* Commander Uhura. 🖖🏻

There are 43 existing cards with the Innovator trait:

5 Assimilated La Forge
    5 Augment Commander O'Brien
    5 Captain La Forge
    5 Dr. Richard Daystrom
    5 Dr. Soong
    5 Duelist Torres
    5 Fennim
    5 Interfaced Barclay
    5 Interfaced La Forge
    5 Leonardo da Vinci
    5 Lt Commander La Forge
    5 Mirror Zefram Cochrane
    5 Phoenix Cochrane
    5 Protomorphosis Barclay
    5 Scientist Degra
    5 Sphere-Builder Presage

4 Age of Sail La Forge
    4 Alan-A-Dale
    4 Commander Barclay
    4 Dr. Carol Marcus
    4 Dr. David Marcus
    4 Dr. Tolian Soran
    4 Gralik Durr
    4 Herbert Rossoff
    4 Hologram Barclay
    4 Icheb
    4 Kurak
    4 Kurros
    4 Lewis Zimmerman
    4 Mirror Geordi La Forge
    4 Rogue Harry Kim
    4 Tactical Michael Burnham
    4 Tash

3 Chief Engineer La Forge
    3 Chief Engineer Torres
    3 Commander Scott
    3 Donik
    3 Dr. Carol Marcus
    3 Dr. Reyga
    3 Duelist Barclay
    3 Ensign Robin Lefler
    3 Gilora Rejal

2 Geordi La Forge
    2 Injured Torres

EDIT: Corrected Dr. Carol Marcus’s rarity, per below. Thanks, @Proont ! 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the OP, I am looking forward to adding another TAS character to my crew, as well as finishing & freezing my 3/4* Commander Uhura. 🖖🏻

There are 43 existing cards with the Innovator trait:

5 Assimilated La Forge
    5 Augment Commander O'Brien
    5 Captain La Forge
    5 Dr. Richard Daystrom
    5 Dr. Soong
    5 Duelist Torres
    5 Fennim
    5 Interfaced Barclay
    5 Interfaced La Forge
    5 Leonardo da Vinci
    5 Lt Commander La Forge
    5 Mirror Zefram Cochrane
    5 Phoenix Cochrane
    5 Protomorphosis Barclay
    5 Scientist Degra
    5 Sphere-Builder Presage

4 Age of Sail La Forge
    4 Alan-A-Dale
    4 Commander Barclay
    4 Dr. Carol Marcus
    4 Dr. David Marcus
    4 Dr. Tolian Soran
    4 Gralik Durr
    4 Herbert Rossoff
    4 Hologram Barclay
    4 Icheb
    4 Kurak
    4 Kurros
    4 Lewis Zimmerman
    4 Mirror Geordi La Forge
    4 Rogue Harry Kim
    4 Tactical Michael Burnham
    4 Tash

3 Chief Engineer La Forge
    3 Chief Engineer Torres
    3 Commander Scott
    3 Donik
    3 Dr. Reyga
    3 Duelist Barclay
    3 Ensign Robin Lefler
    3 Gilora Rejal

2 Geordi La Forge
    2 Injured Torres

Dr. Carol Marcus is a 3*. Thanks for the list. It looks like I have a few frozen that I might need to thaw.