Home The Bridge
Options

Request for Name Change - Q As God

Can this character please be renamed to ‘Afterlife Q’? Q As ‘God’ is just a terrible name.

Comments

• Options
    Simply clumsy, but wouldn't be surprised if the compliance doofs at CBS or Paramount got all in a tizzy and gave us that abomination of a name.

God forbid we might offend someone.

Divine Q gets my vote.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Simply clumsy, but wouldn't be surprised if the compliance doofs at CBS or Paramount got all in a tizzy and gave us that abomination of a name.

Divine Q gets my vote.

It is Picard himself who says that he is unwilling to believe Q is God so your complaint is with the the writers of the Tapestry episode. Q as "God" is an accurate description. In the episode it was Q portraying himself as God. Though I will concede it would be easier and simplified if DB instead used the name "God" Q and it would still be saying the same thing. I do not like Afterlife Q as Picard was in critical condition but he was not dead. Also it would be very hard to remember Afterlife Q or Divine Q and harder to search for.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Etherworld Q
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    It doesn't state which god he is depicting. Could be a greek one based on that white cloak.
    Assuming that he is depicting the primary diety of your specific religion may be an incorrect assumption.

Well, there’s capital letter in God, so it have to be some monotheistic religion.

As for the concerns - I personally don’t find anything wrong in the current naming. It’s as abstract as it could be

• Options
    PavelHPavelH ✭✭✭

Divine Q gets my vote.

It is Picard himself who says that he is unwilling to believe Q is God so your complaint is with the the writers of the Tapestry episode. Q as "God" is an accurate description. In the episode it was Q portraying himself as God. Though I will concede it would be easier and simplified if DB instead used the name "God" Q and it would still be saying the same thing. I do not like Afterlife Q as Picard was in critical condition but he was not dead. Also it would be very hard to remember Afterlife Q or Divine Q and harder to search for.

Picard was very much dead in the episode. He was brought back by Q. On the topic, I think the best name is 'God' Q but I'm not too bothered by 'Q as God'.
  • Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vesmer wrote: »

Well, there’s capital letter in God, so it have to be some monotheistic religion.

The capital implies monotheistic, but as it is part of the name for this Q variant, maybe not. 23rd Century Martok has a capital C in his name for example, or Age of Sail Crusher with a capital S in sail.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not simply call him Q?
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not simply call him Q?

Or Q in White? White was a significant visual in the episode.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Vesmer wrote: »

The capital implies monotheistic, but as it is part of the name for this Q variant, maybe not. 23rd Century Martok has a capital C in his name for example, or Age of Sail Crusher with a capital S in sail.

DB seems to follow the general capitalization rule of titles, capitalizing all nouns whether personal or not.

For me, the biggest indicators of this Q being associated with a monotheistic religion is the lack of the modifier "a." If this religion had multiple deities, then it would be Q as a God, as he would be merely one of many.

The name is clumsy and not very appealing, but I appreciate their effort to avoid offending anyone's religion, and instead only offending those of us with OCD.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Afterlife Q would be my favorite name as well, if there has to be a change.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @Zom[BAD] Squirrel , I would have gone with Afterlife Q if I were in charge of the naming conventions, but I'm not overly exercised about this one. By using the modifier "as" and using quotation marks, they've made it clear that Q isn't actually God, but was trying to pass himself off as such to Picard. That's an accurate representation of his role in the episode when he was wearing this outfit.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    I vote for Butterchurn Q.
    It worked with Kirk.
  • Options

Divine Q gets my vote.

I can get behind "God" Q as well, especially because it captures the irony of Q's trolling. I forgot he was taking the piss out of Picard the whole episode.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    worship Q at the church of your choice
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I think the name Q as "God" is darn near perfect, as it checks all the boxes.

1. It is as respectful as can be to various players of various faiths within the confines of the fact that the TNG writers already introduced a version of Q literally playing a god.

2. Putting the word "God" in quotation marks indicates that this is basically just Q cosplaying as the deity Picard's culture associates with God.

3. It also playfully mocks Q a bit by letting us the player know that Q isn't powerful enough to actually be God.

4. It retains the word "God" because Picard literally uses that phrase when confronting Q.

IMO this name is best case scenario.

100% agreed Bylo. I could not agree more with this post.
  • Options
    How about deity Q?

Deity=divine status, quality, or nature.

That way it implies a higher nature or status than human. Just a thought...
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    All other issues aside, I just find it awkward to type the name. Q as "God". Something just unwieldy about it to me - not sure why. God Q (or "God" Q if you prefer) would have been simpler from my finger's perspective. But at the end of the day, no big deal to me. I don't imagine I'l have to type it too many times after the next week or so anyway.
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Both Afterlife Q and Tapestry Q are better names.
This discussion has been closed.