Home The Bridge
Options

Request for Name Change - Q As God

Comments

• Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I was amazed this threat even exists...but I’m not.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Of course this was going to come up. It was another mistake of overlooking the implications Just like disfigured pike got changed to tribunal pike.
    He does represent the ghost of xmas past/present/future as taken from the scrooge movie.

Tapestry Q
    Afterlife Q
    Devine Q
    Robed Q
    Q

Honestly just re-name him and lets move on. In the future DB maybe giving a slight bit more thought to words to avoid these things may work better.
    Everything we say gets “censored”. The censored word list is ridiculous but DB can name a crew “God” or “disfigured”.
    Im not taking an opinion on the terminology as much as i am pointing out lets give more thought in the beginning so this doesnt happen, and why are we soooo censored but DB seems to offend ppl with crew names?
  • Options
    LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    The reason I suggested Afterlife Q is that in the episode Tapestry, Q welcomes Picard to the Afterlife. Picard also rants that this wasn’t the Afterlife, refuses to believe Q runs the Afterlife.

This wasn’t for theistic reasons at all. Just wanted to make that clear. And it’s possible we might get a wounded Picard with the bloody tunic - an ‘Afterlife’ Picard, as it were. Or maybe even ‘Afterlife’ Maurice Picard who appears to his son in the episode. Or rather, Q’s version of the Afterlife.

I’m not going to die in a ditch over this, I just really think the name is a cumbersome one and there are better alternatives. Divine Q is also a good suggestion.
  • Options
    how are people saying his name is difficult or awkward? I can type the word God into the crew list, and he comes up. MUCH easier than typing "q".

DB, please note the MAJORITY in this thread don't feel the name change is needed. Pleeease don't try to appease these complainers. I'm never going to remember "divine" or "afterlife" searching for him, why make it more difficult??
  • Options
    Q as "God" is fine.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q as "God" is fine.

I don't even think that name was put in place to not offend people. Picard himself says he does not believe Q to be God.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DuL #Horga'hnDuL #Horga'hn ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Q as God.... ts ts ts.
    Q as himself = God
    Admiral der Flotte: Das unentdeckte Land
  • Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating thread, well done everybody! But it does raise a far more interesting question - what should DB call THIS GUY if we ever get him?

HUNKnw.gif

flashy laser eye pretend "God"
  • Options
    Yateball wrote: »
    Of course this was going to come up. It was another mistake of overlooking the implications Just like disfigured pike got changed to tribunal pike.
    He does represent the ghost of xmas past/present/future as taken from the scrooge movie.

Tapestry Q
    Afterlife Q
    Devine Q
    Robed Q
    Q

Honestly just re-name him and lets move on. In the future DB maybe giving a slight bit more thought to words to avoid these things may work better.
    Everything we say gets “censored”. The censored word list is ridiculous but DB can name a crew “God” or “disfigured”.
    Im not taking an opinion on the terminology as much as i am pointing out lets give more thought in the beginning so this doesnt happen, and why are we soooo censored but DB seems to offend ppl with crew names?

Again.... DB is spot on with the name they already chose... they put God in quotes as "God" implying this is just what Q introduced himself as... the source material agrees

https://youtu.be/lNwzawXu4v8?t=57

Get.............. over............... it. You suggest DB give more thought to it but they're pulling DIRECT from Q's words on the show

There is nothing to see here, the name is perfect

I dont know why you are telling me to get over it. That was rude. I clearly said im not arguing the terminology. I couldnt care less what name they give cards.
    What i do care about is our words being heavily censored. Even if it is a small minority who takes issue with crew names, im just pointing out the irony of the situation.
    And BTW, there are alot of things directly from the show that get changed, altered, or are not spot on exactly accurate. And crew cards names that are/were on the censor list so all you got was ############ when referring to crew.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    🍿🍿🍿
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating thread, well done everybody! But it does raise a far more interesting question - what should DB call THIS GUY if we ever get him?

HUNKnw.gif

Kirk and “1.21 Gigawatts” at Sha-Ka-Ree
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC Q literally refers to himself as God. Hence Jean Luck Pickard’s reply “you are not God. The universe is not so poorly designed.”
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

HUNKnw.gif

I just pretend that movie never happened.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC Q literally refers to himself as God. Hence Jean Luck Pickard’s reply “you are not God. The universe is not so poorly designed.”

Picard is right. The universe is perfectly designed or else it couldn’t exist.

• Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Sha-Ka-Ree Prisoner

Bearded Admiral J.P. Hanson
  • Options
    ElimElim ✭✭✭
    As has already been mentioned is mentioned by Q himself that he is God, to which Picard dismisses him.
    This is a nod to that.

I think this is a very clever naming in that it's not "God" Q which wouldn't have been as clever but Q as "God" is saying that he is playing the part of God not that he is God as you have actors E.G. Patrick Stewart as Picard.

I don't see this as any different from, Morgan Freeman as God in Bruce Almighty
    Alanis Morrisette as God in Dogma
    Or one of my Favourites Bruce McGill as God in the last Episode of Quantum Leap.

My point is this is no different and I fail to understand how anyone could be offended. After all isn't God supposed to be within all of us so aren't we all God

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elim wrote: »
    As has already been mentioned is mentioned by Q himself that he is God, to which Picard dismisses him.
    This is a nod to that.

I think this is a very clever naming in that it's not "God" Q which wouldn't have been as clever but Q as "God" is saying that he is playing the part of God not that he is God as you have actors E.G. Patrick Stewart as Picard.

Or one of my Favourites Bruce McGill as God in the last Episode of Quantum Leap.

My point is this is no different and I fail to understand how anyone could be offended. After all isn't God supposed to be within all of us so aren't we all God

To me, this Q is more like Ed Harris as the executive producer Christof in The Truman Show.

Your last sentence reminded me of Michael Valentine Smith. 🧂
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

HUNKnw.gif
    Elim wrote: »
    This is a nod to that.

To me, this Q is more like Ed Harris as the executive producer Christof in The Truman Show.

Your last sentence reminded me of Michael Valentine Smith. 🧂

c59s1nrisiyv.jpg
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

HUNKnw.gif

I just pretend that movie never happened.

It's actually not that bad of a movie. It's basically just an extented TOS episode. And there are some great scenes between Kirk, Spock and McCoy.
  • Options
    eXo | RamzaeXo | Ramza ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Star Trek V is better than at least 5 mediocre Star Trek movies.
  • Options
    Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    Star Trek V is better than at least 5 mediocre Star Trek movies.

I respectfully disagree, even though Sybok always reminds me of George Carlin. But it’s the only Trek movie I have never been able to watch in one go.
  • Options
    Ljofa wrote: »
    Can this character please be renamed to ‘Afterlife Q’? Q As ‘God’ is just a terrible name.

I’ve just been referring to him as Tapestry Q.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
This discussion has been closed.