Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Secrets in the Desert - 11/07

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in The Bridge
Posting this today as I am unavailable tomorrow.

Event Name: Secrets in the Desert
Event Type: Faction Event
Event Crew: Desert Archer 5* (New), Torchbearer Tyler 4* (New), and Undercover O'Brien 4* (Existing)
Event Dates: Thursday 11/07 until Monday 11/11 at Noon (17.00 UTC)

Ranked Reward 5*: Little John Riker (New) - this crew will be featured event crew in the event starting on 11/14.

Event Factions:
Cardassian Union, Federation, Section 31

Bonus crew:
• high bonus: event crew
• small bonus: variants of Archer, Tyler, and M. O’Brien.

Comments

• Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should this be variants of Archer and not Riker.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed!
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    any character from that episode is cool. good joerb
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    Only need 1 more star on O’Brien, so I’m excited about that.
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    Ren~ wrote: »
    Could we have more event diversity please? Faction every two weeks is really getting old.

Not much diversity to be had when there are only 3 options to choose from.

Technically, 4 with shuttles/galaxy hybrids. 5 if we count the galaxy/skirmish hybrid we had once. Which means that it's mathematically possible not to have the same event type every two weeks! If they were pacing events properly, next week should have been an hybrid and a skirmish the following week. Now watch DB putting an hybrid followed by more freaking shuttles even though we had a player poll on the forums last month saying that this is one of the least popular event type, no less. Mark my words. :)
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that means it'll be worth going for Archer after all.
    Could we have more event diversity please? Faction every two weeks is really getting old.

Technically, 4 with shuttles/galaxy hybrids. 5 if we count the galaxy/skirmish hybrid we had once. Which means that it's mathematically possible not to have the same event type every two weeks! If they were pacing events properly, next week should have been an hybrid and a skirmish the following week. Now watch DB putting an hybrid followed by more freaking shuttles even though we had a player poll on the forums last month saying that this is one of the least popular event type, no less. Mark my words. :)

The last four weeks have literally been four different event types. Seeing as the skirmish/galaxy appears to have been a one-off, what event type would have met your standards?
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    I guess that means it'll be worth going for Archer after all.

The last four weeks have literally been four different event types. Seeing as the skirmish/galaxy appears to have been a one-off, what event type would have met your standards?

Anything that isn't the same event type every two weeks. Hybrids count as one separate type.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    no more faction events ever! <3
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Ren~ wrote: »

I think there was a faction/skirmish once too
  • FantasticFantastic ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    And there was that week-long everything event a couple of years ago. Pre-Skirmish. Faction-Expedition-Galaxy. Add Skirmish and everyone can complain. Only keep it Thurs-Monday and have 24 hours of each type. It would be Awe(ful?)some and we’d be sure to get Sorrytrons!

And make it extremely bad crew for the bonuses. Stargazer Picard, Teenager Nog, and Chef Neelix pop into mind. Make it like Monty Python’s Meaning of Life: designed to make everyone angry about something.

And @Shan thanks for all you do. I have never said much, but Lurk Long and Prosper!
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Has Voq counted as a variant of Tyler before? I honestly do not remember, and I am too lazy to go searching through the Wiki. ☮️
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Happy to have an excuse to thaw my Chiefs and play with 'em for a weekend.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to have an excuse to thaw my Chiefs and play with 'em for a weekend.

I just immortalized my raf o'brien yesterday so this will work out nicely.
    Let’s fly!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has Voq counted as a variant of Tyler before? I honestly do not remember, and I am too lazy to go searching through the Wiki. ☮️

I don't think so, but this is a very good point. Unless they come out with a flashback/non-canon version of Tyler, then I think variants of Voq should count as variants of Tyler.
    Farewell 🖖
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I don't think so, but this is a very good point. Unless they come out with a flashback/non-canon version of Tyler, then I think variants of Voq should count as variants of Tyler.

He has not, however this is the first event he has been event crew since the Klingon trait was added to the Tyler cards. I would expect Voq to count, but some clarification from @Shan would be appreciated 😀
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I LOVE expedition events, I realize expedition events require a lot of developer time, based on prior statements from staff. They seem to save these for Christmas weekends (for whatever reason?)

(also, plz don't combine a skirmish and expedition anymore ... just make an entire weekend an expedition, with no phase changes, that should save some effort)

Also, it sounds like developers are working on a few things at the moment, hence more flashbacks, to cut back on developer time spent on events. They also have never stated whether it takes less time to develop a faction event or a galaxy event, so it's difficult to tell which versions save them more hours of the work week.

/SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I LOVE expedition events, I realize expedition events require a lot of developer time, based on prior statements from staff. They seem to save these for Christmas weekends (for whatever reason?)

(also, plz don't combine a skirmish and expedition anymore ... just make an entire weekend an expedition, with no phase changes, that should save some effort)

Also, it sounds like developers are working on a few things at the moment, hence more flashbacks, to cut back on developer time spent on events. They also have never stated whether it takes less time to develop a faction event or a galaxy event, so it's difficult to tell which versions save them more hours of the work week.

Aside from true believers like you and Travis, Expedition events are one of those things that people look forward to as a change of pace and then, five minutes into the event, we realize that not all change is good. That happened to me the last time one came up - I went in thinking, “this will be a refreshingly different experience than the usual mix of events, it couldn’t be as bad as I remember” and then it was as bad as I remembered.

The real problem is effort to design or improve Expedition events vs. ability to monetize them. Skirmishes have ship schematic packs and bonus rewards, Factions have boosts and early returns, Galaxies have chroniton deals and act as a resource sink. Expeditions have...extra tickets? That’s not much of a draw for people merely looking to clear thresholds, or at least the old 130k VP threshold. And the ways to fix that problem are certain to vacuum up a lot of programming resources...whether it’s adding a bonus reward mechanic like in Skirmish events, adding a fourth difficulty tier that drops items/honor/etc., or something else, I can’t imagine that the projections for work input versus expected revenue look very good. Hybridizing with others obviously didn’t go over very well in that respect or I would think we would have seen another hybrid expedition over the summer.

They could rerun or flashback an Expedition too...
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Aside from true believers like you and Travis, Expedition events are one of those things that people look forward to as a change of pace and then, five minutes into the event, we realize that not all change is good. That happened to me the last time one came up - I went in thinking, “this will be a refreshingly different experience than the usual mix of events, it couldn’t be as bad as I remember” and then it was as bad as I remembered.

The real problem is effort to design or improve Expedition events vs. ability to monetize them. Skirmishes have ship schematic packs and bonus rewards, Factions have boosts and early returns, Galaxies have chroniton deals and act as a resource sink. Expeditions have...extra tickets? That’s not much of a draw for people merely looking to clear thresholds, or at least the old 130k VP threshold. And the ways to fix that problem are certain to vacuum up a lot of programming resources...whether it’s adding a bonus reward mechanic like in Skirmish events, adding a fourth difficulty tier that drops items/honor/etc., or something else, I can’t imagine that the projections for work input versus expected revenue look very good. Hybridizing with others obviously didn’t go over very well in that respect or I would think we would have seen another hybrid expedition over the summer.

Yep, expeditions do not bring in enough revenue. People just dont buy many tickets. Plus there is often an error in expeditions and then DB tries to make right by providing extra tickets and there is even less incentive to buy tickets. Just too click intensive and scrolling through my crew to find my fatigued bonus crew every time is super annoying. I appreciate the efforts DB has made already to make expedition events better and if they want to put one in I will not complain but I will not buy tickets. Unless there is a golden ticket and I get to win a chocolate factory.

401w9i3bxqtb.jpg
    Let’s fly!
  • Does Little John Riket mean Sherwood Forest re-run the following week????
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »

He has not, however this is the first event he has been event crew since the Klingon trait was added to the Tyler cards. I would expect Voq to count, but some clarification from @Shan would be appreciated 😀

Hopefully she gets a chance on Monday. If it were me, I would give all current Tyler's a hidden "Voq" trait. Then just do variants of Voq for events. Just my two cents. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was wondering what to do with all of those slots from my freezer party, thanks Shan!! I guess it's safe to assume that new Riker will go into the Sherwood collection...? and maybe (please?) come with a sale of Merry Beverly/Troi/the other ones packs?
  • I just hate having to clock in every 90 minutes / 3 hours. I do have a life, and if I do something with my family for a few hours, it can put a serious dent in my ranking.