Home Ready Room
Options

Citation Help

Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Ready Room
I'm better with history than math, so I'd appreciate some cold, hard number-crunching insights about where to spend these seven five Citations burnin' a hole in pocket. Here are the candidates and my thoughts:
  • 3/5 Away Team Saru - In a recent SCI based Voyage, he was the only one not 5/5. I'm sure that would have made the difference in the 14 minutes I fell short of the 10h mark. Plus, as a Saru, he has strong event value going forward.
  • 3/5 Commander Kira Nerys - She's a Kira, and her event has already had its Replay so I won't be getting another star for her that way.
  • 3/5 Leonardo da Vinci - Dude has been a Voyage work horse ever since his 1/5 days. No event value, but he's my favorite right now in the running for two of these Citations.
  • 3/5 Solar Sails Sisko - He only just got to 3/5 an hour ago, so I don't have a feel for his Voyage value. Sisko events come around often enough, but we did just have one so it may be awhile before the next.
  • 3/5 Wrathful Kirk - Strong SEC. I need SEC/ENG Voyage crew, but his ENG is unimpressive.
  • 3/5 Zhian'tara Odo - High base stats and counts as a Dax and an Odo for event purposes.
  • 2/5 Pah-wraith Keiko - Strong CMD and honestly, I just dig her. Minimal to no event value, though.
  • 2/5 Seeking Spock - He's a Spock and he has SCI/MED/DIP.
  • 1/5 Ba'ul - We've likely had the last event where every Disco crew gets a bonus, so no event value. But: SEC/ENG/MED Voyage value. Presently, SEC/MED is a major weakness for me.
  • 1/5 Dr. Hugh Culber - Strong stats and good event value going forward, and he ain't gonna get to 5/5 on his own.
  • 1/5 Jett Reno - See: Dr. Hugh Culber.
  • 1/5 Torpedo Surgeon McCoy - Strong stats, MED/SCI/ENG skill combo. Plus, I love Star Trek VI.

Forgot about the new Dr. 'Bones' McCoy, who I ought to get to 4/5 after the special achievements, and that I now don't have enough Honor for a Citation for next month's Recurring Legendary. That brings me down to five Citations to spend, not seven.

Comments

• Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good crew ... and I know you like citing ones who you like from the show, so difficult choices ... some insights on crew I'm familiar with:

- Saru - I've had him immortalised for a really long time now (May 2019) and he has been rock solid for me through being part of 4 10hr voyage crew (his three skill combos and SCI/ENG).
    Other positives are his two 1000+ base score, if he's not on a voyage he's on a shuttle and he's been stellar in events.
    However, probably the best general crew in-game has his skill combo (Gary Seven) ... if you manage to get him these coming days then he'd be the one to cite up instead (as much as I love Saru) ... Saru's overall voyage numbers are not super strong and I'm sure he'll start slipping. That said ... his skill combo is excellent.

- Da Vinci - this guy comes to the top of my "should cite" list every time (currently #2) no matter how many new crew I get in ... I really should do it, but ... other priorities (collections) ... he'd be my best SCI base if I did ... if I had him 3/5 I'd do it.

- Ba'ul - I've been hesitant to cite up 1/5 crew because sooo many resources, but Ba'ul's not in the portal so it'll take aeons to add stars otherwise ... I have Temporal Prisoner Chakotay immortalised and Ba'ul is just a better version of him really ... he gets constant use. Also has solid base stats for shuttles/events.

- TS McCoy - another solid crew really that probably fits the same boat as Ba'ul and Da Vinci.

- Solar Sails Sisko - on my crew his numbers are middle of the pack, just plain average, if he was immortal I'd probably use him on SCI/ENG voyages, but I already get to 10 hrs on those 75% of the time, I'd personally invest in more impact crew ... he used to be my best Sisko ENG, so good for events ... but ... I don't know, I know you like Sisko, but I'd just pick him in each future behold he features until he's immortal. Good, but in my books not a priority.

- I haven't cited 2-skill crew yet (Collections will require it at some point) and probably wouldn't cite Kira either due to her skills, I'd cite Keiko over her if I had to choose between the two.

The others I don't know enough about.

I'm going to hold onto my citations for the time being to see if any good candidates pop up (one already has).
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with your choice to do Leonardo first. Have had him immo'd for a long time now and he makes Voyages all the time.

I also use Culber a lot.

Probably wouldn't suggest SS Sisko, as he just seems like a weak option, imo.

Have Ba'ul 5/5, but honestly don't use him (uh... her?) that often in Voyages. Makes a lot of shuttles, though.

However, any other feedback I might have isn't going to be terribly germane to your roster, I'm afraid. What I did recently when deciding who to give some recent cites to, was to look at skill pairs, and see which ones I had very well-covered, and which ones could use some shoring up. For instance, tons of DIP+SCI, lots of good SCI+ENG, and MED+DIP, but some other combos were not at all well-represented. MED+CMD was one of those, so I got Rev Phlox FF post-haste.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you could probably print out a picture of a dartboard to scale, write each of these names into the outer ring sections, tape it to a real dartboard, throw darts until five of them land on names, and be happy with the results. Alternatively, throw darts until you hit a name, cite to completion, and repeat until you’re out of citations.

It may look like I am joking, but this is a pretty great collection of crew to choose from. Reno is the weakest but should continue to get Disco bonuses and would be a solid variant if Stranded Reno releases as an event crew regardless of full Disco bonuses...plus, great character and actress. Culber is in the rare territory of being a 1/2-skill crew worth citing due to raw shuttle/event power. The rest are all excellent crew anyway even before having special personal value.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if nothing else, y'all've talked me out of Solar Sails Sisko. I think I'll be content letting his other two stars come to me on their own. Gonna continue taking input and contemplating for a bit.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torpedo Surgeon McCoy is showing up in a LOT of my voyages. His Med and Sci are pretty good, and that Eng helps him slide into even more voyages. If you're focusing on improving the voyage part of your game, then he is a good choice.

I could also suggest Kirk, as he's either on a shuttle or a voyage for me.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory "wait until the week of festivities are over." You may find yourself in a different situation.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Update: I'm down to five Citations, and here are the current candidates:
    • 4/5 Durango Troi - I've been itching to finish her for months, and it will be at least March at the earliest before her event rolls back around. I'm gettin' antsy.
    • 3/5 Away Team Saru - In a recent SCI based Voyage, he was the only one not 5/5. I'm sure that would have made the difference in the 14 minutes I fell short of the 10h mark. Plus, as a Saru, he has strong event value going forward.
    • 3/5 Wrathful Kirk - Strong SEC. I need SEC/ENG Voyage crew, but his ENG is unimpressive.
    • 2/5 Quinn - For now, he seems to be locked as an Episode 10 one-time reward. Love the character and his Voyage stats are great.
    • 1/5 Ba'ul - We've likely had the last event where every Disco crew gets a bonus, so no event value. But: SEC/ENG/MED Voyage value. Presently, SEC/MED is a major weakness for me.
    • 1/5 Torpedo Surgeon McCoy - Strong stats, MED/SCI/ENG skill combo. Plus, I love Star Trek VI.

Combinations I'm leaning toward:
    1 Durango Troi/4 Torpedo Surgeon McCoy
    1 Durango Troi/4 Ba'ul
    1 Durango Troi/2 Away Team Saru/2 Wrathful Kirk
    2 Away Team Saru/3 Quinn
    2 Wrathful Kirk/3 Quinn

Ba'ul, Torpedo Surgeon McCoy, and Wrathful Kirk are presently not in the time portal. Could be months before they turn up, and even once they're in circulation, that hardly guarantees I'll luck into any of them.
  • Options
    Will you be doing recap packs, @Travis S McClain ? If you are, then I advise waiting on any that are in portal.

I've got a fair amount of use since I cited up Ba'ul. I would lean toward him and save the 5th citation for your next project or a rainy day. (I don't think Ba'ul is in portal.)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a fair amount of use since I cited up Ba'ul. I would lean toward him and save the 5th citation for your next project or a rainy day. (I don't think Ba'ul is in portal.)

I also use Ba'ul on a surprising number of Voyages.

• Options
    Will you be doing recap packs, @Travis S McClain ? If you are, then I advise waiting on any that are in portal.

I'm planning on doing some recap packs. At least enough to get a fourth Safecracker Nog. Ideally, also a fourth Doctor Stubbs and Age of Sail Troi, too. I could luck into Away Team Saru or Durango Troi in those packs. Can't remember if Wrathful Kirk is in the portal yet. Ba'ul, Quinn, and Torpedo Surgeon McCoy are not.
  • Options

I'm planning on doing some recap packs. At least enough to get a fourth Safecracker Nog. Ideally, also a fourth Doctor Stubbs and Age of Sail Troi, too. I could luck into Away Team Saru or Durango Troi in those packs. Can't remember if Wrathful Kirk is in the portal yet. Ba'ul, Quinn, and Torpedo Surgeon McCoy are not.

I was thinking that you may also want to wait to see if you get any legendaries from this mega in the recap packs. That might make them tempting to cite. Then I thought about who all that is: T'Pol w/MED, Annika Seven, AoS Worf, and LtC Icheb. None of them are as appealing for citations as the ones you have listed. Except maybe T'Pol, imo.

Ba'ul gets the most use, followed by Torpedo Surgeon McCoy for me. I don't have any of the others cited up. But Ba'ul's combos... SEC/ENG, SEC/MED, and MED/ENG... They all get him into voyages.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options

... Can't remember if Wrathful Kirk is in the portal yet...
    No, he isn't
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    Ba'ul's skill combo is the most rare so may last longer in the face of power creep for a voyager, as well as having a good voyage rank in overall stats total.

Kirk's skillset is much more common, though his stats total is higher and has the highest event count. Also, a high portion of his events are faction so

Torpedo Mccoy is a nice mix of a fairly uncommon eng tertiary for med/sci, as well as fair event count, but will have less impact either way (voyages or events) unless you don't have a lot of med/sci voyagers.

Choice depends if your priority is pushing for more reliable 10 hour difficult voyages (Baul) or higher % faction shuttles (kirk) IMO.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: I'm down to five Citations, and here are the current candidates:
    • 4/5 Durango Troi - I've been itching to finish her for months, and it will be at least March at the earliest before her event rolls back around. I'm gettin' antsy.
    • 2/5 Quinn - For now, he seems to be locked as an Episode 10 one-time reward. Love the character and his Voyage stats are great.

Combinations I'm leaning toward:
    1 Durango Troi/4 Torpedo Surgeon McCoy
    1 Durango Troi/4 Ba'ul
    1 Durango Troi/2 Away Team Saru/2 Wrathful Kirk
    2 Away Team Saru/3 Quinn
    2 Wrathful Kirk/3 Quinn

Ba'ul, Torpedo Surgeon McCoy, and Wrathful Kirk are presently not in the time portal. Could be months before they turn up, and even once they're in circulation, that hardly guarantees I'll luck into any of them.

So many good crew to choose from...

Troi - I just took her fifth star in a behold because I wouldn’t mind taking it easy whenever her event comes up again, she’ll be helpful for next week’s event, and her SEC base is ludicrously high.

Saru - this is the only one of your citation targets that I don’t have myself. I agree his event value should remain strong when Disco season 3 comes up. And if you don’t have or are looking to complement the likes of Gary Seven, Gladiator Spock, and/or Klingon Janeway for voyages, you really cant go wrong here.

Kirk - yes, even with his monster SEC base his SEC/ENG leaves a little to be desired. That being said, his decent COM secondary means you can maybe slot in more COM/ENG crew into a SEC/ENG voyage to compensate. And his event usefulness in December was off the charts.

Quinn - you are right about all the things you said. But as several of us covered in that one Bridge topic, you can get DIP/SEC elsewhere through smart crew selection. Maybe send Wrathful Kirk alongside Professor Sato instead of Quinn and another DIP/SEC crew?

Ba’ul - until I immortalized my copy, I had no idea how hefty those SEC and ENG bases really were. Plus MED? Wow. I, too, am doubtful that the Disco event bonus count will keep ballooning but that just means you can send the Ba’ul on voyages during those events.

McCoy - it still stings a bit for me that he wasn’t MED/ENG/SEC but his voyage utility is undeniable. He’s roughly comparable to Qod (maybe a little weaker...I only did the math on their bases and not their proficiencies) but with ENG instead of DIP as the tertiary he is more valuable overall.

Other than maybe dissuading you from Quinn, I don’t feel like I suggested all that much. If I were in your situation, I’d probably put one on Troi, use two on either Saru or Kirk, and use the last two to bump up McCoy to 3/5*.
  • Options
    GhaziGhazi ✭✭✭
    I would probably go Kirk, saru and trio. Kirk and saru will both give you daily value unless you are sitting on a bunch of sci sec
  • Options
    You definitely have to throw one at Durango Troi .... if for no other reason than she is so incredibly cool! :smiley:
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Travis,

Like the others have said ... it depends on your game preferences ... lately, I'm a sucker for voyages and collections ... some reflections:

- Saru ... still my #2 base SCI, but will slip to #3 soon. I've had him immortalised for ages and he's been of great help, but is slowly slipping in use (like I thought he might, as I indicated last time). It depends on how many similar crew you have, but if I didn't have him immortalised, he'd be slipping down my "to cite" list.

- Ba'ul ... I have Temporal Prisoner Chakotay and Ba'ul is just a straight-up improvement in all areas. Good base stats, excellent voyage combo ... to give an indication ... TP Chakotay has been on the following 10hr voyage combos ... CMD/ENG, DIP/SEC, SEC/SCI, SEC/ENG ... and has been on near-10 hr ones for SEC/MED, SCI/MED and ENG/MED ... that's 7 of 15 combos ... I figure Ba'ul will be daily-use crew for a while.

- It is tempting to finish Durango Troi ... and we do have a Troi shuttle event next week. But I would label this as a "vanity" cite ... and personally I'd do it ... but my priorities differ wildly from what is considered "smart gameplay".

- McCoy ... will have an immediate impact on your voyages for sure, so if you like the character ... sure.

- Quinn, Kirk ... for me the least appealing of the crew you've listed, but that's more personal.

Anyway ... that's what I've got ... I might wait after doing the mega-event packs just to see what comes your way, only a week or so anyway.
  • Options
    Voyages are my current priority, though I'm always event-minded, too. I do alright with shuttles using my B-team. I've unlocked all the stat boosts from collections, and none that remain is all that important to me. I don't have Gary Seven, Klingon Janeway, or Temporal Prisoner Chakotay.

As for the recap packs, the only 5* I care about is Age of Sail Worf, and that's only out of fondness. He won't do much for my roster. The only citation candidates in the portal who could drop for me in those packs are Away Team Saru and Durango Troi. I think I'm content deferring Quinn for awhile.

There's a strong consensus in favor of Ba'ul. Another factor not mentioned is that Kirk, McCoy, and Saru all seem likely Campaign candidates, whereas Ba'ul seems highly unlikely. Also, so far, the only ones on Picard who look like potential SEC/ENG/MED are Picard's house servants Laris and/or Zhaban. Which brings me to another point, which is that once Picard crew start arriving, I'm probably gonna want to max them, so....

UGH.
  • Options
    My math is we don't get enough citations
  • Options

You should make that your forum signature, @TrainWay [-PIEMAN-].
  • Options

You should make that your forum signature, @TrainWay [-PIEMAN-].

I'm kinda new to forums and don't know what a signature is or how it works.
  • Options
    @Travis S McClain I don't know how a signature works or how to do one. 😬
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I don't know how a signature works or how to do one. 😬

Scroll up this page, and in the upper right corner, click on the little gear icon.

q6l7syldszke.jpg

...then Preferences...

kudd832nn2vh.jpg

...then Signature Settings...

xdp8wx6b84e5.jpg

...et voila!

dbiccuw1w4j9.jpg

I've got some code in mine, but you can make yours plain text. Experiment with it if you want to see what looks best. B)

(Oh, and FYI — in case you're wondering — the reason my colors are different for this site is because I use a Firefox plugin called Page Shadow, which lets me change from the way-too-bright white background. :p )

• Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/5 Ba'ul - We've likely had the last event where every Disco crew gets a bonus, so no event value.

Not to be impertinent, but you did say the same thing before our latest Disco mega.
    Yeah, I think we've outgrown "all crew from Star Trek: Discovery" being bonus crew, but I can see something like "all U.S.S. Discovery personnel" being a thing for a future Mega-Event. In any case, the potential for future events is probably comparable for Pollard and Pulaski. They're the kinds of crew members who get strong stats so our active crews aren't just variants of the same dozen main cast characters. Their game value is in things like Voyages and non-event shuttles while we keep event crew active.

I'm on the fence about it, personally. We do have the "bridge crew bonus" precedent from the December TOS mega, but the Disco pool is 79 crew while the current week's bonus pool is 99 crew and there may be a little extra in$entive from CB$ to feature crew from an ongoing show.

Anyways, if you're still searchin', I would rank your options McCoy > Ba'ul > Wrathful. Even with tons of 5/5 MED and MED/ENG crew, including two Indulgent Sevens, I still get slightly more voyage use from Torpedo than Ba'ul. That MED primary more than makes up the gap in voyage score and he's a 'safer' event option if you're worried about Disco bonuses.

Kirk has more of his value tied up in events comparatively and has lower voyage value over replacement, but will definitely pull his weight on your roster and is the gold standard for event work.
  • Options
    I can tell you that my 5/5 McCoy and Quinn go on a ton of voyages, i have 0 regrets citing these guys up ..
    Currently citing my Cheesecake Seven

My citation priorities are :
    Uniques ( Cheesecake, EvoJany, Quinn, CappyBev , Kahless )
    Top Tier & Major Bonus ( Torp McCoy, EMA, Gary, Burnham )
    High Tier & Not in Portal , ( currently contemplating between Ishan Sisko & Twilight Tpol )
    After this ... there are sooo many variables and choices ...

As for the oddballs like Captain Bev ... 25% voyage participation...
  • Options
    1/5 Ba'ul - We've likely had the last event where every Disco crew gets a bonus, so no event value.

Not to be impertinent, but you did say the same thing before our latest Disco mega.

In fairness, there were several other forum members who shared that speculation. It seemed probable at the time. But then DB zigged when we thought they were gonna zag, which in hindsight, I should have anticipated.
    Yeah, I think we've outgrown "all crew from Star Trek: Discovery" being bonus crew, but I can see something like "all U.S.S. Discovery personnel" being a thing for a future Mega-Event. In any case, the potential for future events is probably comparable for Pollard and Pulaski. They're the kinds of crew members who get strong stats so our active crews aren't just variants of the same dozen main cast characters. Their game value is in things like Voyages and non-event shuttles while we keep event crew active.

Wait... Did you search the forum to find evidence of me making a failed prediction? Or did you have that bookmarked? You, uh...You can't see what I'm wearing right now, can you?
    I'm on the fence about it, personally. We do have the "bridge crew bonus" precedent from the December TOS mega, but the Disco pool is 79 crew while the current week's bonus pool is 99 crew and there may be a little extra in$entive from CB$ to feature crew from an ongoing show.

Disappointed you didn't go with "in¢entive".

My teasing aside, you've illustrated already why it's hard to guess along with DB. My only note at this point is that they can still use crew from the ongoing show without having to feature every single one of them.
    Anyways, if you're still searchin', I would rank your options McCoy > Ba'ul > Wrathful. Even with tons of 5/5 MED and MED/ENG crew, including two Indulgent Sevens, I still get slightly more voyage use from Torpedo than Ba'ul. That MED primary more than makes up the gap in voyage score and he's a 'safer' event option if you're worried about Disco bonuses.

Kirk has more of his value tied up in events comparatively and has lower voyage value over replacement, but will definitely pull his weight on your roster and is the gold standard for event work.

You make good points. Your anecdotal experience of still using McCoy with two Indulgent Sevens is persuasive! If they'd hurry up and give me the Star Trek VI collection I want (but know they'll never actually make), I'd cite Bones today.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait... Did you search the forum to find evidence of me making a failed prediction? Or did you have that bookmarked? You, uh...You can't see what I'm wearing right now, can you?

Haha no, I'm not a card-carrying internet arguer. I may have self-cataloged more failed trait event predictions than anyone else. I just remembered having that conversation last year and saying Ba'ul has "no event value" gave me a flashback.

Not having the alt code for cent handy, you win this round ;)

I generally abhor anecdotal advice-giving "Good on your roster does not mean good overall!", but it's tricky comparing voyage efficacy across skill sets, especially without more info on your roster. It was more of an encouragement to not knock Torpedo for a merely average voyage rank. "Bones" does take some of his event shine, but a McCoy Faction should have ample MED seating.
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    You really have an embarrassment of riches. All of those crew you mentioned are outstanding and legitimate citation targets for different reasons.

Just to throw this out there...go with Durango to finish her off, and then the crew/series you like the best?

I have Ba’ul, and he (she?) is awesome and useful, but I think of the ones you listed, I’d probably go McCoy. Because McCoy.
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    JiveDutch wrote: »
    I can tell you that my 5/5 McCoy and Quinn go on a ton of voyages, i have 0 regrets citing these guys up ..
    Currently citing my Cheesecake Seven

My citation priorities are :
    Uniques ( Cheesecake, EvoJany, Quinn, CappyBev , Kahless )
    Top Tier & Major Bonus ( Torp McCoy, EMA, Gary, Burnham )
    High Tier & Not in Portal , ( currently contemplating between Ishan Sisko & Twilight Tpol )
    After this ... there are sooo many variables and choices ...

As for the oddballs like Captain Bev ... 25% voyage participation...

Funny you should mention Captain Bev. I have Rev Phlox at 4/5 and it really stunned me how many Voyages he’s on. About 30%. I think my next cite is going to him.

It’s almost made me question whether I should pony up for Captain Bev, too.

Oh, who am I kidding? There’s no way I’ll save to 100K. I hit 50K and I’m like, “Ohhh, shiny! Does Away Team Burnham want a cite? My SEC/SCI is terrible. Or Stranded Quark? He’s at 4/5, may as well finish him off. Or maybe Data V? If I finish him, I’ll get Lucille Davenport, and that’s been a long term goal of mine. Or Twilight T’Pol? She’s not gonna be in the portal for a long time. Or...”

Impulse control and I are distant acquaintances. 😉
  • Options
    I will never recommend citing Durango. She saved me from tragedy once. She can do the same for you. ;)
    huaedccvvo2b.png
    (I know... The very definition of anecdotal.)
    Farewell 🖖