Very nice.
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weyoun 69 wrote: »
    Side by side comparison

d7uelc60mcaw.jpg

Credit to original Facebook uploader.

Kind of like seeing retro mario kart tracks against the remade versions
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoever made that first Dax has no business calling themselves a graphic artist
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found her ok before but I love the new one. Made her my avatar straight away (was Bell Riots Jadzia before).
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomalak is easily the worst art in the game, however the importance of the character should play a part too, glad Jadzia got a makeover
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

That was a different style but she looked totally fine. The card is now more in line with the newer art though which is nice.
  • Options
    Really excited to see that DB made this change. It's nice that they're revisiting old (bad/different) art and remaking in a style more consistent to the game. One can only hope that Klingon O'Brien (monkey jesus, anyone?) is somewhere on that list.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    Need to keep in mind that real people made this. And is 4 years old, a lot changes in 4 years

Concerning technology in 4 years much changes indeed, not so much in drawing techniques though. Lt. Commander Jadzia Dax is also ancient going by release of the card - and remains one of my favourite artworks in the game. The old Blood Oath version doesn´t hold the same quality by far, does not fit the style of the game. Or however you want to call it. I am very glad about the redraw...

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst art is mirror Data. I have skipped out on him twice during begolds.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget Holonovel Doctor that doesn't look even remotely like Robert Picardo. It is supposed to be Robert Picardo, right?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. Everyone’s all in defense of the worst art in the game
  • Options
    I don't have Rogue Kai Winn, but I'd really like it if they fixed her art. While some of the other cards have a style that doesn't fit anymore or lack detail or have slightly incorrect anatomy around the legs or arms, in her case there's something wrong with the perspective around her neck and face. While that pose is one of the most difficult ones to draw a face in while still keeping some resemblance to the person it's supposed to be, it's also one where it's difficult to ignore when the anatomy and perspective doesn't work.

Also, any skills can be improved a lot in four years. It's perfectly possible that the person who did the new art for Jadzia is the same one who did the original, if DB has a continuative collaboration with its artists.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, any skills can be improved a lot in four years. It's perfectly possible that the person who did the new art for Jadzia is the same one who did the original, if DB has a continuative collaboration with its artists.

Sure, the longer we do something the better we get with it. But since the style is completely different (comic style vs. kinda real) I doubt it is the same artist. Also because the hallmark of every outstanding artist is an individual approach that is clearly identifiable. Which goes for all the giants of DC and Marvel for example...

• Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    We aren’t even talking about 7th grade artwork 3* wesley?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. Everyone’s all in defense of the worst art in the game

Noone is questioning the artwork. It is altogether different when the commentary turns personal against the artist.
    Ren~ wrote: »

That was a different style but she looked totally fine. The card is now more in line with the newer art though which is nice.

There was a little defense of the art. Just sayin'...
    But to be fair, Banjo's comment may be a bit personal. But if said person is no longer with the company because of poor quality, then it may also be accurate. 🤷‍♂️
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re putting it out for how many thousands of people to use you are making yourself public domain. If you can’t handle that then don’t make yourself public domain
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new art is exceptional but I liked the uniqueness of the old art too. A different style, more graphic novel like. The blue lines were cool too though I know many didn’t like them. Now the Blood Oath Jadzia looks just like all the other Jadzias. Maybe others do not agree but I like the look of the TAS cards and was disappointed when the TAS Uhura was made less like the cartoon look and I like a variety of styles in card art.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Sure, the longer we do something the better we get with it. But since the style is completely different (comic style vs. kinda real) I doubt it is the same artist. Also because the hallmark of every outstanding artist is an individual approach that is clearly identifiable. Which goes for all the giants of DC and Marvel for example...

But style is not something you're born with. And in this case specifically, it's not the artist's personal style, but the style requirements set by DB, which have clearly become more specific and strict, with a preference for realism, over the last 4 years. DB probably works with a pool of freelance artists, all of which have to follow their requirements, to make sure the cards look consistent.

The new art is much better, has a style more consistent with other cards in the game and almost certainly required more hours of work and was paid better. This doesn't rule out the possibility that it could have been the same artist. But to be honest, what I was trying to say is that it's pointless to insult the original artist just because they didn't produce a masterpiece in 2016, as if anyone here could produce something better (I dare you all to try, you can easily google a pic of Blood Oath Jadzia as a reference and then share your art with us on the forums :p ).
    Not knowing how things would go and how much money they would make, in 2016 DB might have worked with people who had limited experience and were not too expensive.
  • Options
    The new art is fantastic.

It’s almost like looking at a photo. Excellent work.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like to second @DavideBooks' nomination of Mirror Data as a card to redraw in the future. It doesn't remotely look like Data.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Need to keep in mind that real people made this. And is 4 years old, a lot changes in 4 years

Okay. I will give some leeway on the old art, if a four year old did it......
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay. I will give some leeway on the old art, if a four year old did it......

Thank you. Dear lord, people have been criticizing this card forever, I say something and they act like I made fun of a kid in the special olympics or something. I am no stranger to my work being criticized. It goes with the territory and I handled it like a man.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Banjo1012 Actually, DB said long ago that Tomalak and BO Dax were produced for a prerelease version of the game when they were still deciding on the artistic direction. They went with a totally different style, so that's why those two are more "cartoony" in nature.

Ah. That makes sense. They were the experimental prototypes. Thank you for explaining that. Perhaps that means Tomalak will be next