Home The Bridge
Options

Discussion about next week's mini event.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    There will be a 30 minutes announcement phase for this mini-event, and no featured crew - the event has been designed to allow for spontaneous participation without the need for preparation.

While there's no bonus crew per se, I hope the "no preparation needed" line means we can use frozen crew for the mini event. Or it's something like use your top 3 crew.

There are still a lot of players that cycle through the freezer for certain crew based on events and traits and whatnot.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    Shan, should we keep our crew at home beforehand? Voyages, shuttles? Or will it be like Gauntlet or Skirmish where the crew may be wherever?

The announcement specifically mentions no featured crew, so looking more like Skirmish in that approach.

No featured crew does not necessarily mean that absent crew can participate...
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan, should we keep our crew at home beforehand? Voyages, shuttles? Or will it be like Gauntlet or Skirmish where the crew may be wherever?

The announcement specifically mentions no featured crew, so looking more like Skirmish in that approach.

No featured crew does not necessarily mean that absent crew can participate...

True, but even Skirmish needs a certain type of crew skill - you're not going to put just anyone in the slots. I'm imagining this will be designed to take advantage of your best crew, which should typically be out already. That or it could be some sort of ship-related event, but then you're definitely pandering to those of us who have been around for a while and have built up our stable of ships.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

It says no featured crew, but nothing about it crew can be used while doing something else. If anything, there lack of featured crew means you may want your best crew who are otherwise on Voyages.

But if I had to guess, I would guess this will be similar to McCoy and have a target of X away missions, Y ship battles, z gauntlet matches, etc... So just being active will be more important than needing strong crew.

I don’t know how one-time achievements would feel in an event...and even if that ends up being the case, I think I will try to arrange my voyage schedule so that all hands are on deck when the mini-event starts, just in case.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuttysark wrote: »
    and so the Universe churns .... everybody trying to make profound pronouncements, wild wishes, and sage surmises about something they know absolutely nothing about and no data to support such until it actually happens.

When I first saw the announcement I thought, "Oh-oh, new fodder for the forum Oracles!" or "That will put a frothy head on the stale forum beer!" LOL

I do like those who are just content to wait and are happy to see something new. :smiley: I'm one of them.

1) BORING!
    2) You say they absolutely nothing about it. That is untrue. If you read some of the posts, you'll see references to past announcements. We know things.
    3) I'm glad you are content to wait. You are absolutely welcome to do so.

As for me... There's a TON of ideas in a thread about temporary achievements. I do hope DB pulled out a few of those to use. Count me as another grateful voice for something new. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of short events.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of short events.

I do, as well. But get ready for complaints when people find out thirty minutes beforehand, they should have timed their Voyages better.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    and so the Universe churns .... everybody trying to make profound pronouncements, wild wishes, and sage surmises about something they know absolutely nothing about and no data to support such until it actually happens.

When I first saw the announcement I thought, "Oh-oh, new fodder for the forum Oracles!" or "That will put a frothy head on the stale forum beer!" LOL

I do like those who are just content to wait and are happy to see something new. :smiley: I'm one of them.

1) BORING!
    2) You say they absolutely nothing about it. That is untrue. If you read some of the posts, you'll see references to past announcements. We know things.

As for me... There's a TON of ideas in a thread about temporary achievements. I do hope DB pulled out a few of those to use. Count me as another grateful voice for something new. :)

Grumpy today are you? (I would say rude but that would be impolite ... so I won't) Sorry if my having a little fun upsets you. I'm sure you'll feel better tomorrow. :p
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Less bickering please :)

You will need active crew.

Thank you, Shan.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less bickering please :)

Thank you for the clarification, highly appreciated!
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

1) BORING!

Grumpy today are you? (I would say rude but that would be impolite ... so I won't) Sorry if my having a little fun upsets you. I'm sure you'll feel better tomorrow. :p

I'm sorry if you took that personally.

I enjoy the speculation. A lot of good ideas come from it. Not all of them can be implemented, of course. But I do love to encourage our fine forum folks to share their ideas. Some may happen, most won't. But I enjoy my little life in a land where all is possible. :)

I do hope these mini events will be a non-competitive thing that we can do at our own pace. I probably won't be feeling it right after the event. But Tuesday when I don't care about the cadet missions... It'll be great to have something else.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I like the fact that there's something new. Not knowing what it is, it's hard to have an opinion, but I'm almost sure that I would prefer if it lasted one day instead of two. Especially if it's a slightly altered mini version of one of the four event types we already know.

What I hope:
    1) That the rewards are the ones that most people asked for in the feedback thread and Prime Lorca's poll: honor, old legendaries and voyage supplies. If that's the case and a full week of events gets tedious, I might skip the standard event in favor of the mini event.
    2) That the event format will not be of the kind that makes you feel compelled to participate in it even if you hate it (so I'm hoping that there won't be new crew in the rewards or tie-ins with other events).

What I'm afraid of:
    1) That this is just a shorter version of the events we already have, so two more days of mindless tapping for those who want to compete.
    2) That crew on voyages and shuttles can't be used in the event. If I got it right, so far we only know that we can't use frozen crew, but not if we can use all of our active crew, like in skirmishes.

• Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been quite uncharacteristically grumpy about this since it was announced and I'm not really sure why.

I want to be all excited and happy! But really, I am very worried that we will end up with 6 day events! Genuinely I am trying to reserve judgement and go in with an open mind. I think I would have been more excited if you had announced new event types rather than additional mini events. I get that some players are bore through the week but for me that's when I work on crew, inspect quarters and spend a little R&R in 10 Forward.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭

You will need active crew.[/quote]

What do you consider active.
    Are crew on voyage considered active ?
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Options
    I'm hoping for something brand new, like "Gul Madred Teaches Typing."
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Roxton wrote: »

You will need active crew (non frozen) and crew not already busy on something like Voyage or shuttles - like for a regular event.

So it's not like a skirmish then. We are getting closer guys.
  • Options
    RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭

You will need active crew (non frozen) and crew not already busy on something like Voyage or shuttles - like for a regular event. [/quote]
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is important so we are ready though. I'm good with this type of info before the surprise.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

You will need active crew (non frozen) and crew not already busy on something like Voyage or shuttles - like for a regular event.

So Skirmishes(where u can use crew that are on shuttles and voyages) are not a regular event anymore? 😉 Jk, thx for the heads up, it‘s appreciated. :)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    I am excited and hope it's very different from what we already know!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to say I saw the word “campaign” tied in somewhere
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind. Shan was referring to feedback for the beta, as they asked for it with the campaign beta. However, all hands to battle stations. What could that mean?
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand. It is the great airlocking/freezing competition.

You get points for every crew you freeze during the mini-event.
    You get even more points for every crew air-locked (and left to asphyxiate in the vacuum of space for over 4 hours.)
    If you clear your roster entirely you get a massive heap of bonus points.

The winner gets a free 1/2 Acting Ensign Crusher, who cannot be airlocked, cited or merged with another, so stays in their active roster forever. :p

Seriously, if we are going to have this regularly, then we may need a larger active roster, so it would be nice if we could have some extra free crew slots.
This discussion has been closed.