Home The Holodeck
Options

PSA: Stay safe and be kind. Be a raccoon: wear a mask, wash your hands :) And: have a good air flow!

Comments

• Options
    Haere LinteseregHaere Lintesereg ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This is sad :(

Especially since (from what I've heard) Madrid was hit as hard as Lombardy in Italy and they should be aware of what could happen if the lockdown is lifted.
    Also, who wants to go through a government crisis in a moment like this? :(

Yeah, Madrid is the most affected area here, like Lombardy in Italy (of the 27 thousand deaths in Spain, over 8 thousands died in Madrid). The mayor of Madrid (José Luis Martínez Almeida) is from the same party of the president of the regional government (Isabel Díaz Ayuso), but he is a wisest person. And he attitud is very praised for everyone, including the opposition. When last week we knew that Madrid will remain in phase 0 (and other regions as well), Díaz Ayuso was shocked, outraged and very upset (and she used social media and interviews to show all of that). Well, the case is the director of Public Health of Madrid resigned when the regional government of Madrid ask her to sign the technical report asking the country's government the change from phase 0 to phase 1. She resign as a protest by that decission, because Madrid (specially the public health system) is not yet ready to do that. The reaction of the regional government? They sent that technical report unsigned to the Ministry of Health.

Oh, and last Sunday a newspaper publish an interview with Díaz Ayuso and include a picture of her (she did a special photoshoot for that interview). This isn't fake, this isn't photoshoped, this is the real front page of el Mundo from May 10 2020 featuring a picture of the president of the regional government of Madrid.

1skpuk2pup9k.png

In 1960 we created a slogan to stimulate the tourism, "Spain is different". Absolutely. Because yes, you have to be crazy if you want here a government crisis now. If the president (Pedro Sánchez) would resign, the Vicepresident didn't become in the new president. No, here if the president resigns, the Congress would have to choose a new president. And with our chaotic Congress, this would be impossible right now. It was almost impossible in January. The final votation of the investiture was like a horror movie, even one congressman from a little party have to sleep the night before the votation in a secret place because he receive threats (the votation was 167 yes, 165 no and 18 abstentions).
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This is sad :(

Especially since (from what I've heard) Madrid was hit as hard as Lombardy in Italy and they should be aware of what could happen if the lockdown is lifted.
    Also, who wants to go through a government crisis in a moment like this? :(

Yeah, Madrid is the most affected area here, like Lombardy in Italy (of the 27 thousand deaths in Spain, over 8 thousands died in Madrid). The mayor of Madrid (José Luis Martínez Almeida) is from the same party of the president of the regional government (Isabel Díaz Ayuso), but he is a wisest person. And he attitud is very praised for everyone, including the opposition. When last week we knew that Madrid will remain in phase 0 (and other regions as well), Díaz Ayuso was shocked, outraged and very upset (and she used social media and interviews to show all of that). Well, the case is the director of Public Health of Madrid resigned when the regional government of Madrid ask her to sign the technical report asking the country's government the change from phase 0 to phase 1. She resign as a protest by that decission, because Madrid (specially the public health system) is not yet ready to do that. The reaction of the regional government? They sent that technical report unsigned to the Ministry of Health.

Oh, and last Sunday a newspaper publish an interview with Díaz Ayuso and include a picture of her (she did a special photoshoot for that interview). This isn't fake, this isn't photoshoped, this is the real front page of el Mundo from May 10 2020 featuring a picture of the president of the regional government of Madrid.

1skpuk2pup9k.png

In 1960 we created a slogan to stimulate the tourism, "Spain is different". Absolutely. Because yes, you have to be crazy if you want here a government crisis now. If the president (Pedro Sánchez) would resign, the Vicepresident didn't become in the new president. No, here if the president resigns, the Congress would have to choose a new president. And with our chaotic Congress, this would be impossible right now. It was almost impossible in January. The final votation of the investiture was like a horror movie, even one congressman from a little party have to sleep the night before the votation in a secret place because he receive threats (the votation was 167 yes, 165 no and 18 abstentions).

This is... well... bad :(

But it's good to know that there are responsible people and that they're probably the majority.

The governor of the region where I currently live is from a party that I would never vote for. I don't like the stuff he says in interviews and I don't like what he stands for. But he and his local government dealt well with the crisis, not only because they were lucky to make the right decisions, but because they always took careful decisions, without going against the national government (which does not include their party) even when they criticized it. And when they did criticize it, it was usually a relatively cautious criticism, as in "we wouldn't do it like that, but you decided it, so we have to follow those decisions". And most importantly, they always followed the advice of the Istituto Superiore di Sanità and their own advisors from local hospitals. So while we were one of the epicenters of the epidemic in the beginning and had the third most cases in Italy for a long time, things here never got out of control.
    This isn't just because of what the local government decided, some of it has to do with good/bad luck and other circumstances, but the way a crisis is dealt with also matters. Things could have been a nightmare here and I'm glad that they weren't.

So I hope that the mayor of Madrid and the other reasonable voices in this situation will prevail too.
  • Options
    I hope so, but I'm not optimistic. Anyway...

The other day I mentioned the live reading of The Hobbit by Andy Serkis, and they got permission to upload the reading of chapter 5 (Riddles in the Dark) for a limited period. So enjoy while you still can.

https://youtu.be/YSeVHqp2eQA
  • Options
    A great sign of improvement... the soccer is back (at least in Germany)! Without public of course.

https://youtu.be/dEkabe1U6-M
  • Options
    And NASCAR starts racing tomorrow, to empty stand but it is live racing!!!
  • Options
    OK, WILL FOLLOW THE ALL RULES AND REGULATIONS
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Monday, everyone :)

b07o7spb9mcr.png

My county didn't make it into phase 2 yet. We will get there :)

How was everyone's weekend?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Happy Monday, everyone :)

b07o7spb9mcr.png

My county didn't make it into phase 2 yet. We will get there :)

How was everyone's weekend?

My parents drove by to drop off my daughters Easter basket on the porch yesterday. Yep. It’s been that long.

• Options
    Here most of the country is now in phase 1, even some islands from Balearics and Canary are in phase 2. But all the Madrid region and Barcelona and it's metropolitan area remains in phase 0 with some relief measures, so we're in phase "0.5" xD

Wednesday we have the debate in the Congress about the extension of the state of alarm, the government wants an extension from one month and not a 15 days extension, but oh well, what could go wrong?

But see the return of Bundesliga has been a really morale boost and has been a change in my weekends! Be able to see a live game of soccer again was wonderful!
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Haere Lintesereg , I hope that you are still healthy and safe. Your posts in this thread have given me a different perspective, and I thank you for that. LLAP 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the upcoming weekend, everyone :)
    If you are in a region where things are reopening, please do not throw caution to the wind and remain careful. <3

It is a holiday here on Monday, so I will do a group hug now!
    lij7783afnl3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Thank you very much @~peregrine~! I'm fine, and my family too, fortunately. Well, my sister hurt her ankle during a online workout session (she stayed in a friend's house with a little garden, swimming pool and even a little hot tub), but well xD

Here the government get another extension of the state of alarm, probably next week Madrid, Barcelona (and it's metropolitan area) and Castilla y León are going to advance to phase 1, and probably almost all the other regions are going to advanve to phase 2.

Meanwhile, the president of the regional government of Madrid has resorted to the Supreme Court against the country government, there has been protest in front of the homes of various ministers and the Vicepresident, there are differences inside the government in economical matters (between the two parties of the government coalition), some congressmen of the opposition said in the Congress "you're gonna get it" to the speaker of the governing party (the most voted)... A fun fact is that this government has been formed in January xD

Oh, and the last days in my street someone plays everyday soon after 9PM "La muerte no es el final" (Death id not the end, a song used by our Armed Forces as a hymn to pay tribute to those who died in military service [sigh]), then our national anthem, and then many people bang pots against the government from their windows (these last thing has been happening the last month).

In a lighter note, I share a video of la Barceloneta (a neighborhood of Barcelona) that gets viral this week. This is Monday morning, after Barcelona gets some relief measures. This area hass been closed after the video. The guy crawling is the best, here is called "the lizard of la Barceloneta". 😂

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    In San Francisco, a famous park has created human parking spots. Of course, some still complain, sigh.
    ypdhrirugv3m.png
  • Options
    Castell-NeathCastell-Neath ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Shan wrote: »
    In San Francisco, a famous park has created human parking spots. Of course, some still complain, sigh.
    ypdhrirugv3m.png

That looks like a giant "whack a mole" game!! Awsome!! Lol
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    We are now in full phase 2 in Italy and things are going pretty well so far, with no significant increase in cases and not too many infractions.

Mostly.

Then this happened too.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=878172105926572

So in this town everything has to close at 9 pm starting today. They didn't get to enjoy their new-found freedom for very long, I guess.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are now in full phase 2 in Italy and things are going pretty well so far, with no significant increase in cases and not too many infractions.

Mostly.

Then this happened too.

So in this town everything has to close at 9 pm starting today. They didn't get to enjoy their new-found freedom for very long, I guess.

A good old fashioned Donnybrook in the streets. Way to show your ready for civilization again.

• Options

Mostly.

Then this happened too.

Argh, there are idiots (to say the least) everywhere. It's a shame that the whole town pays for the stupidity of a few, but they should prevent the repetition.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    gggsqpjkidl2.jpg
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Tuesday everyone :)
    I've not looked at the news about what might have happened during this long weekend - and you know what, I think I will just avoid looking :D

Btw, I might not have mentioned it before but if any of you have computer power to spare, you can help with covid-19 research https://foldingathome.org/covid19/
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now another nationwide problem has arisen. My wife and I were visiting her parents for the first time since March and I had to take my wife and child and flee from rioters as they were blocks away destroying malls. I asked her parents if they wanted to come with us to our house as we live in the 46th safest town in America but they said no. Now they are locked inside their house as businesses have closed and the city has instructed them to stay indoors. We took side streets home away from malls and stores but I told my wife be ready because if anyone is in the street I am not stopping the car. That would be signing all
    Of our death sentences including our two year old daughters. At that point it’s them or us and it sure as hell won’t be us.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now our entire county is locked down. No one is allowed to be out
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    And now another nationwide problem has arisen. My wife and I were visiting her parents for the first time since March and I had to take my wife and child and flee from rioters as they were blocks away destroying malls. I asked her parents if they wanted to come with us to our house as we live in the 46th safest town in America but they said no. Now they are locked inside their house as businesses have closed and the city has instructed them to stay indoors. We took side streets home away from malls and stores but I told my wife be ready because if anyone is in the street I am not stopping the car. That would be signing all
    Of our death sentences including our two year old daughters. At that point it’s them or us and it sure as hell won’t be us.

We have a family friend who told us today she has a sister in Minneapolis who just bought a shotgun. For myself, I'm happy to live in a smaller city in a peaceful state. I'm also thrilled for the thousandth time that I no longer have to work in Seattle.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are listening to the police scanner for her parents town. It’s all over. Her parents are surrounded on all sides by it and now people are entering their neighborhood breaking into cars, garages, breaking windows....
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I'm not out of line for saying so, but 2020 is just awful. I can't wait to put this year in the rear view mirror.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I'm not out of line for saying so, but 2020 is just awful. I can't wait to put this year in the rear view mirror.

I think that is about an “in line” statement as there is right now. I keep thinking what kind of world will it be for my daughter?

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is about an “in line” statement as there is right now. I keep thinking what kind of world will it be for my daughter?

I'll do my part and try to stay at home and spread positivity. That's what I think the world needs, anyway.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll do my part and try to stay at home and spread positivity. That's what I think the world needs, anyway.

We could really use Mr. Rogers this year. His messages were always so basic, pure, and filled with genuine care

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a family friend who told us today she has a sister in Minneapolis who just bought a shotgun. For myself, I'm happy to live in a smaller city in a peaceful state. I'm also thrilled for the thousandth time that I no longer have to work in Seattle.

Funny you should mention that, because I'll be driving to work in Seattle in a few hours!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word is there is going to be full scale riots in Joliet, the next town over from me, starting in one hour
  • Options
    There have been protest in Berlin, London, Manchester and other cities across the world.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/05/31/george-floyd-international-protests/5300108002/

There are even some players of the Bundesliga that have been protested too, like Jadon Sancho.

rg42ov2acrsk.jpg