Home The Holodeck
Options

PSA: Stay safe and be kind. Be a raccoon: wear a mask, wash your hands :) And: have a good air flow!

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish they had used the phrase "physical distancing." Stories like Banjo's show how important it is to stay social. We may not be able to do it the traditional way, but the internet can be such a force for good. I'm glad you use it to stay connected, @Banjo1012 . And for sharing those things that make people smile. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    That’s so cool, @Banjo1012 ! I don’t have any pets, but if I did, I would share pics for her. 🐶

What I do have, though, is my old paperback copy of “The Little Prince”, which I would be happy to give her. I’ll wipe it down with disinfectant (just in case) & mail it to you, if you want.

P.S.: Enterprise was best. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s so cool, @Banjo1012 ! I don’t have any pets, but if I did, I would share pics for her. 🐶

What I do have, though, is my old paperback copy of “The Little Prince”, which I would be happy to give her. I’ll wipe it down with disinfectant (just in case) & mail it to you, if you want.

P.S.: Enterprise was best. 🖖

You’re a cool cat my friend.

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Monday, everyone :)
    I hope you are all doing well.

For the less fun part:
    - Banjo I am so sorry that your wife is having to endure this situation at work. It was totally preventable, it boggles the mind.
    - Caution for everyone: don't assume that if you are healthy you are not at risk, there are new grim findings everyday - and don't assume that if you had it, you are immune. We just don't know enough yet.

For the more joyous part:
    A resounding yes about using physical distancing, as opposed to social distancing that I have stopped using for the most part. It is catching on but not enough.

Fortunately, there are a lot of great initiatives out there, and awesome people.
    Human beings can be pretty great, let's recognize and rejoice in that as much as we can.

And I am so happy we have some of those awesome people on these forums <3

That was a great story, Banjo :)
    I wish I had a rocking chair but I am pretty sure it would immediately be stolen by my cats :D

• Options
    I think cats in rocking chairs would make some great pictures. :)

44z8lnf56buu.jpg

Here's one of mine with her best quarantine buddy, Mr. Tweet-tweet.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone started a post on the Cairn Terrier Lovers Units page saying tonight is our night to say good night to Edith. And the pics of Cairns are pouring in! It’s a wonderful thing people are doing for us!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. Just caught up, OMG so many funny memes - thank you so much to all who posted them!
    After two weeks off for the Easter holidays, I went back to work, just covering 3 lunchtimes at the primary school I work at. We've had between 4 - 8 kiddos in, all between the age of 3 and 8. They've all be lovely but admittedly, some of the younger boys are very hard work as they are in school because they have an Education Health and Care plan due to behavioural/learning difficulties. However, they are coping reasonably well. And my self and the other lunch supervisor have been trying to keep them occupied with lots of games and activities. When the weather permits, we bring the kids outside to eat their lunch as there is ample picnic tables in the playground.
    Home schooling my own kids is tough; my younger hasn't been given huge amounts to do, though that will change next week! My son on the other hand, has failed to pick up many of his assignments due to some technical issues but we've sorted them now and he is ploughing through it.
    As an autistic person, I love the physical distancing; generally I avoid going to public places when it's busy as I can't stand being around lots of people, However, I have noticed over the last couple of days, people are being very slack about keeping their distance - generally refusing to wait for an aisle to clear before barging past everyone! The worst offenders are people with masks and gloves - I firmly believe these people tend to be more complacent. I use plenty of handwash, hand sanisitiser and disfectant wipes to protect myself and my family and avoid touching things that I don't need to.
    With that said, here is a picture of one my cats looking extremely cute.
    38rbz065e478.jpeg

Hi, I am glad to see you in this thread :)

What a cutie!!

You are correct about people being complacent, and/or not respectful when using masks/gloves.
    It is probably something we will see more of as measures are relaxing.

I myself have to self-admonish when I'm about to forget to wash my hands.

In my area I see more and more people with masks, so that's great.
    We're likely to extend sheltering in place until end of May.

It's OK to feel tired of it all, even with relaxed measures we'll all have to make more adjustments and view things differently. And we will, because we're adaptable - we can, and will do this :)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who don't know it, Patrick Stewart is doing a sonnet a day.

It turns out the Risa pictures are fake news. This is what he really looks like lounging about.

3pqf8tw0xkfz.jpg
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I forgot my ritual group hug this Monday, and that there are cats everywhere in this thread now:

Here's a cat hug as my virtual group hug :)

dcj43k01octm.png
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more a dog person than a cat person, but whenever I see pics of cute kittens, I can't help but think of this XKCD comic...

cat_proximity.png

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    As I forgot my ritual group hug this Monday, and that there are cats everywhere in this thread now:

Here's a cat hug as my virtual group hug :)

dcj43k01octm.png

I don't know why anyone would want less than two cats. :)

ox35964cd19d.jpg
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish my 2 cats would get along like that :)

OK not the best critter to have in your garden but these are amazing pics, so I thought I'd share and maybe they will make you smile :)

https://www.natureknows.org/2020/04/ukrainian-photographer-captures-magical-world-of-snails-in-incredible-macro-shoot.html The patience it must have required!
  • Options
    Those were not the cute critters that I was expecting, but the pictures do look pretty incredible.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I will tell you a story. A story that hopefully is not too long a rambling. A story about a girl who didn't always cope very well with the pandemic situation. She wanted to, because she's a sensible person that strives to be logical. So this girl would go to work, where she cooked and served the public food and drink, and overheard elderly customers on the phone promising relatives yes! They were staying safe at home. And the girl was worried. Not for herself because she is young(ish) and healthy, but for her son, who is asthmatic, and her partner, who has a heart condition. How she wishes she didn't have to go to work! Both her and her partner are worried, and they argue a bit because they are so worried. And the anxiety she has previously suffered with starts to return.
    So the the lock down is announced, and the government promise 80% of the wages will be paid. And the girl breathes a huge sigh of relief, and the anxiety she has carried around retreats a little.
    But then her boss phones her, and says he will not furlough, but I stead makes her redundant. So she loses her job and that starts the panic. She doesn't recognise it at first, she figures she can get another job. But the children are home now, and there's no childcare. She feels guilty for feeling like she has thing bad when in the news there are stories every day of folks that have things much worse than she does! She only lost her job! Not her health.

Eventually the pressure and anxiety take proper hold. Mood swings and daily arguments with her other half are daily occurances. Soon it spills into the game and she quits her fleet and starts posting all kinds of weird **tsk tsk** on discord. Panic attacks in real life that cause her to hyperventilate and make her hands turn into claws. Constant thoughts tumbling around in her brain means she cannot sleep and then a lack of sleep continues the modd swings and negative energy.

Her partner and her fleet reach out.

In real life her partner sits her down and makes her go through every single thing that is causing the stress and anxiety and illustrates why there is no need to panic. She didn't get sacked, it wasn't her fault she lost her job, money wise they will cope. She might not be a teacher but she's trying. The children are learning. It might be the predicted VP for the event but math is math!

Her fleet talk to her daily. Sometimes hourly. She returns on restricted duties to not overwhelm her and it prompts a discussion about anxiety and stress in general. She realises she is not alone. A series of fun challenges take place, who can post the funniest meme, who can create the best pun using this week's event crew name. And the game! Timelines provides the biggest distraction and one that's most welcome. She sets herself some new goals and moves forward.

She tells you this story because if it helps even ONE person realise that they are not alone, that some days it's okay not to be okay, then it's worth it.
    I will tell you a story. A story that hopefully is not too long a rambling. A story about a girl who didn't always cope very well with the pandemic situation. She wanted to, because she's a sensible person that strives to be logical. So this girl would go to work, where she cooked and served the public food and drink, and overheard elderly customers on the phone promising relatives yes! They were staying safe at home. And the girl was worried. Not for herself because she is young(ish) and healthy, but for her son, who is asthmatic, and her partner, who has a heart condition. How she wishes she didn't have to go to work! Both her and her partner are worried, and they argue a bit because they are so worried. And the anxiety she has previously suffered with starts to return.
    So the the lock down is announced, and the government promise 80% of the wages will be paid. And the girl breathes a huge sigh of relief, and the anxiety she has carried around retreats a little.
    But then her boss phones her, and says he will not furlough, but I stead makes her redundant. So she loses her job and that starts the panic. She doesn't recognise it at first, she figures she can get another job. But the children are home now, and there's no childcare. She feels guilty for feeling like she has thing bad when in the news there are stories every day of folks that have things much worse than she does! She only lost her job! Not her health.

Eventually the pressure and anxiety take proper hold. Mood swings and daily arguments with her other half are daily occurances. Soon it spills into the game and she quits her fleet and starts posting all kinds of weird **tsk tsk** on discord. Panic attacks in real life that cause her to hyperventilate and make her hands turn into claws. Constant thoughts tumbling around in her brain means she cannot sleep and then a lack of sleep continues the modd swings and negative energy.

Her partner and her fleet reach out.

In real life her partner sits her down and makes her go through every single thing that is causing the stress and anxiety and illustrates why there is no need to panic. She didn't get sacked, it wasn't her fault she lost her job, money wise they will cope. She might not be a teacher but she's trying. The children are learning. It might be the predicted VP for the event but math is math!

Her fleet talk to her daily. Sometimes hourly. She returns on restricted duties to not overwhelm her and it prompts a discussion about anxiety and stress in general. She realises she is not alone. A series of fun challenges take place, who can post the funniest meme, who can create the best pun using this week's event crew name. And the game! Timelines provides the biggest distraction and one that's most welcome. She sets herself some new goals and moves forward.

She tells you this story because if it helps even ONE person realise that they are not alone, that some days it's okay not to be okay, then it's worth it.

I think we all need a reminder of what you said in the last sentence from time to time :)
    And if there's one "good" aspect in this pandemic, it's that at least we're not alone in it and we can all help each other. This situation is bringing most people closer together and that helps a lot.
    I haven't been able to see most of my friends and relatives for two months now (all but one of them actually) but we talk to each other a lot and with most of them I'm closer than before.

From a distance it seems like everyone is coping well, but when you take the time to listen to them, there are a lot of complicated personal situations and a lot of people are struggling because of how this is affecting their life, their family or their health. So it's important to reach out to others, like your partner and fleet mates did.
    They must be great people and I'm sure that with their help things will get better soon! :)

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a little embarrassed after I wrote it to be honest. I also meant to write so much more about my fleet and how they've helped, but writing the post made me a little emotional.
    Because of this game I've made so many friends on discord, not just my fleet but the wider community. The other mods on the timelines server have also been extremely kind and forgiving. Looking back I can see that there were warning signs and I chose to ignore them. I suppose I just wanted to speak for those that are feeling a little (or a lot) overwhelmed.....or worried....take each day one at a time, or each hour at time. I don't really have a huge friend network in real life, I'm weird and I don't apologise for it (now). I'm a beautiful person that hates gossip and loves different and my social skills are non existent. I'm naive and hopeful and hug trees. I am feeling a lot better now with the help and support I have online and of course timelines to help me through this. I'm looking at some new interests (like yoga! Which I am so not good at) and picking up old ones (I like sewing) and really spending time helping my children. Thank you to those that have sent PMs, if ever anyone needs to talk I am always happy to listen x

Don’t be embarrassed. I’ve spilled my personal guts in this thread. It’s what this thread was made for. We all react differently to things. The line from the Mr. Rogers movie keeps finishing in my head. “Everyone needs help sometimes. And that’s ok.”

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went into a local place to pick up some carry out. I was in the car in the parking lot putting on a black mask before going in. Totally felt like I was going to rob the place
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I just went into a local place to pick up some carry out. I was in the car in the parking lot putting on a black mask before going in. Totally felt like I was going to rob the place

Don't leave us in suspense. Did you rob the place or not? :p
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Don't leave us in suspense. Did you rob the place or not? :p

Nah. Awesome philly cheese steaks. I want to be able to go back

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a little embarrassed after I wrote it to be honest. I also meant to write so much more about my fleet and how they've helped, but writing the post made me a little emotional.
    Because of this game I've made so many friends on discord, not just my fleet but the wider community. The other mods on the timelines server have also been extremely kind and forgiving. Looking back I can see that there were warning signs and I chose to ignore them. I suppose I just wanted to speak for those that are feeling a little (or a lot) overwhelmed.....or worried....take each day one at a time, or each hour at time. I don't really have a huge friend network in real life, I'm weird and I don't apologise for it (now). I'm a beautiful person that hates gossip and loves different and my social skills are non existent. I'm naive and hopeful and hug trees. I am feeling a lot better now with the help and support I have online and of course timelines to help me through this. I'm looking at some new interests (like yoga! Which I am so not good at) and picking up old ones (I like sewing) and really spending time helping my children. Thank you to those that have sent PMs, if ever anyone needs to talk I am always happy to listen x

Thank you for sharing the story, being part of this community and this thread.
    I recognize a bit of myself in you ^^

Big hugs :)
  • Options
    Haere LinteseregHaere Lintesereg ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for sharing the story @(10F) Seven of One , and a looot of energy and a big hug. The things will be better soon, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon!

These last days I was feeling a little down and I don't visit the forum very often. Here we're in the de-escalation process, that will be long, gradual and by phases (if you want, you can read more about that here: https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-29/spains-deescalation-measures-what-we-know-so-far.html).

Well, I should say that maybe we're in that process. Because Wednesday our Congress will vote the extension of the state of alarm (In short, here the government could declare the state of alarm, but if a extension it's necessary, it nees to get the approval of the Congress. And so every 15 days), and maybe the Congress rejects the extension this time. In that case, well, it would be chaos. Yes, I'm not kidding, the main opposition party could vote against that extension (other opposition party has been voting against the extension other times). Again, if you want to read more about this: https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-05-04/spains-pm-gears-up-for-fight-to-extend-state-of-alarm.html

If you wonder why our Congress it's so complicated, here you can see the distribution of our current Congress.

vaqje5jkhdpk.png

Yes, we have 20 different parties with representation.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is helping me stay sane. Thank you, everyone, for sharing your perspective.

Sincerely,
    😈
    ~peregrine~
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust