Home The Holodeck

PSA: Stay safe and be kind. Be a raccoon: wear a mask, wash your hands :) And: have a good air flow!

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Spain: Emergencyvstate prolonged at least until April 26th. Authorities insist in the importance of not relax the lockdown.
    Madrid, today at 3PM in a street that leads to a bigger street that leads to a highway and to the Madrid ring road:
    Because it's Holy Week! And here that means holidays and going to a second home or anywhere! Yay!

Of course the road controls are reaaally strict, but this is crazy.

Ouch
    It is weird because here school has been suspended for this year and while the confinement restrictions are said to be until the beginning of May, we all know it will need to be extended.

I get that holidays are hard and people get antsy but moving to another place and creating traffic gridlocks and potential accidents, that's really not the way to go :(

I fully expect it to be extended. Many of my friends have kids in college (yes mine is two and yes I’ve been asked if she is my granddaughter). It’s a shame that both parents and students worked their whole lives looking forward to college and then this happens

• Haere LinteseregHaere Lintesereg ✭✭✭✭✭
    The classes here (from elementary to university) were suspended a couple of days before the announcement of the lockdown, and the first days there were many objections because the parents didn't know what to do with their kids while they working.

Here, tomorrow (with the exception of two regions) and the day after tomorrow are public holidays, and in many regions the monday too. But right now, whithout classes, and with strict restrictions to the work these days, yet there are people that wants to go on holiday just because that's what they do every year.
    The classes here (from elementary to university) were suspended a couple of days before the announcement of the lockdown, and the first days there were many objections because the parents didn't know what to do with their kids while they working.

Here, tomorrow (with the exception of two regions) and the day after tomorrow are public holidays, and in many regions the monday too. But right now, whithout classes, and with strict restrictions to the work these days, yet there are people that wants to go on holiday just because that's what they do every year.

My wife and I are facing that with daycare. My job has not been very accommodating but hers has. Now her assistant has to be quarantined for 14 days and she has been holding down the fort for my wife at work. I requested to leave at 2:30 so she can work afternoons and evenings. I made this request at 9 AM and got no answer so I just left at 2:30. What are you going to do? She must go to work now.

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo!
    I think we need more Banjo doggy pics <angelic grin>.
  • Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    A little something I came up with to amuse myself, sung to the tune of Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen"…

Hey COVID-19
    No we can't dance together
    No we can't touch at all
    Can't even go to town, during our lockdown
    Is it weird that, in my head, these words play to Safety Dance? ;-D
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Banjo! :D
    Aaaaand here goes my ear worm of the day ^^
    Thanks, Banjo! :D
    Aaaaand here goes my ear worm of the day ^^

As promised we are here for ya Shanny!

Staring Monday we are implementing the temperature taking of all employees, which I think is futile because you could have it for two weeks and show no signs. Well since I am the guy in charge I get to be the one who puts on the suit like the scientists who came to examine E.T. And take their temps as they line up
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buses are still running here. {Essential Service, because people still need access to grocery stores, work, and the hospital.}
    However, Wednesday they started a new thing. All but five dispersed seats blocked off and only five passengers maximum at a time. I was the fifth person when I got on Wednesday to go for my surgery. And he left two people trying to get to work standing on the road edge.......
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
    edited April 2020
    Monday we return here to our initial state of emergency, so many people could back to work. With very caution, we're in a stabilization phase as shown the graphics.

Hospital discharges
    veohbuwfk0ub.png

Deaths
    0s4ys2s8vt0r.png

Infections
    2qumtmbq96ev.png

Meanwhile, the political climate is awful, with the oposition parties and some regional governments (on some sectors of the society) attacking the country's government (not criticzing the management of the crisis but attacking). Instead of being united, what is what we needed, the people are really divided. Really funny.
  • Mongay we return here to our initial state of emergency, so many people could back to work. With very caution, we're in a stabilization phase as shown the graphics.

Hospital discharges
    veohbuwfk0ub.png

Deaths
    0s4ys2s8vt0r.png

Infections
    2qumtmbq96ev.png

Meanwhile, the political climate is awful, with the oposition parties and some regional governments (on some sectors of the society) attacking the country's government (not criticzing the management of the crisis but attacking). Instead of being united, what is what we needed, the people are really divided. Really funny.

It's similar in Italy. Although in Italy there have been lots of arguments about every single thing right from the beginning :sweat_smile:
    But it's good to know that in Spain the worst part of the epidemic is over now! In Italy we've reached a "pleateau" where cases aren't really dropping, but there's no significant increase either. And the number of people in hospitals and intensive care keeps decreasing, which probably means that more people with mild symptoms are being tested now and that's good too.
    It's similar in Italy. Although in Italy there have been lots of arguments about every single thing right from the beginning :sweat_smile:

Piove, porco governo, right?

I'm glad that in Italy the pressure under the hospitals and ICUs has been reduced. I guess in many ways (or practically in every way), Italy and Spain the same. Some surveys and estimations suggest that here the number of people infected is much more higher of what official data says. The Ministry of Health suggest that here more of the 90% of the cases are "hidden", so probably here the number of people infected could be more than one million. Most of the "hidden" cases are mild or even asymptomatic, fortunately.
  • It's similar in Italy. Although in Italy there have been lots of arguments about every single thing right from the beginning :sweat_smile:

Piove, porco governo, right?

I'm glad that in Italy the pressure under the hospitals and ICUs has been reduced. I guess in many ways (or practically in every way), Italy and Spain the same. Some surveys and estimations suggest that here the number of people infected is much more higher of what official data says. The Ministry of Health suggest that here more of the 90% of the cases are "hidden", so probably here the number of people infected could be more than one million. Most of the "hidden" cases are mild or even asymptomatic, fortunately.

Piove, governo ladro! Or at least that's how I've always heard it :D

It wasn't just among the population, it was among politicians of all sides and experts, entrepeneurs and scientists too in the beginning. I mean, in the beginning no one knew exactly with what they were dealing, so it's sort of understandable. But some just kept going with the polemics out of habit I guess and now that things are getting better the opposition and parts of the government seem to be campaigning for the next elections :sweat_smile:

Anyway, yes, there must be lots of undiagnosed cases. It wouldn't be possible to process the number of tests required to find all of the asymptomatic cases and in the most affected regions at some point it also wasn't that relevant anymore, with the complete lockdown and everything.

But it's definitely getting better and it's good to see that both our countries are slowly getting out of it :)
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just got a high wind warning on the Weather App.

Virginia, where we can experience all five seasons in less than a week.......
    Spring
    Summer
    Autumn
    Winter

MAKE UP YOUR DANGED MIND!!!!!
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
    We just got a high wind warning on the Weather App.

Virginia, where we can experience all five seasons in less than a week.......
    Spring
    Summer
    Autumn
    Winter

MAKE UP YOUR DANGED MIND!!!!!

In Chicago we get them all the same day! Thursday it went from 60s and sunny to snowing!

• 'and the meek shall inherit the earth'

(I don't think earth is capitalised in that quote)
    'and the meek shall inherit the earth'

(I don't think earth is capitalised in that quote)

The meek inheriting the earth violates one of nature’s golden rules, the strong shall survive. Therefor it ain’t gonna happen

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Em Cam wrote: »
    It may sound odd, but with the closing down I've been feeling less anxious and lonely than for ages.

As a background: I'm quite likely on the spectrum, one of those not that neurotypical folks, who identify stongly with Spock, Data, Seven, T'Pol and Odo. Old enough to not be recognized as being on the spectrum in school, as in those days you were a good kid, an uppity know it all kid or a bad kid. I was one of the uppity know it alls, considered way weird by peers. It isn't that easy to get evaluated if you're on the spectrum or not as a middle aged person and given that my field is arts, I have no use for official eval. I'm considered odd anyway :D

Back to point. Not seeing or talking to anybody except online and excepting my partner (who is another odd artist loner like me) is my normal life. The difference is that now I don't go out to the world (my arts school) and see other people leaving me out of their groupings and friendships on a daily basis... It's been better for my health.

Uh-oh. I'll take the risk and poåst this.

I feel ya on this. I have referred to Grumpy Odo as my "spirit animal" on more than one occasion, and especially empathized with (and laughed at) this comment from him, when he was speaking to Worf (another kindred spirit)...

4e9bdteflqxc.gif

I know there are others who experience this to a greater degree, but I have always enjoyed my solitude, have never had a problem with being alone for extended periods of time, and need some recharging time after doing a bit of socializing with friends. In addition, I was also the "weird kid" and the outsider... but I was lucky enough in a few of the schools I attended (which were many) to find 1 or 2 similarly attuned human beings, with whom I could fully be myself. In one much smaller school I attended, however, I put on a false face in order to blend in, and pretended to be like everyone else — which, surprisingly, worked quite well, but which was also tiring, keeping up that facade.

Introverts (and those "on the spectrum", as you say) have never been fully understood by those who feed off of social interactions. But then, I can't say as I fully understand their experience, either. And I feel like they are the ones who are really suffering through this forced isolation. Whereas I don't feel any of the anxiety brought on by the quarantine. All I do feel is a little additional anxiety of now having forced interactions with my housemates and not having anywhere to escape to other than my room, plus the anxiety that comes with not being certain I'll be able to make ends meet and pay my bills if this continues.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    In Chicago we get them all the same day! Thursday it went from 60s and sunny to snowing!
    There are a few remote workers on my team out in Chicago. Between the brutal winter and now this I don't think they've left their apartments since October.

Meanwhile, in Maryland we decided to skip winter this year. And that's not just my New England biases speaking, last year I did use my winter coat for a few weeks. Not this time. Heck, I barely made it into April before mowing the lawn.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
    Hasedoki wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    There are a few remote workers on my team out in Chicago. Between the brutal winter and now this I don't think they've left their apartments since October.

Meanwhile, in Maryland we decided to skip winter this year. And that's not just my New England biases speaking, last year I did use my winter coat for a few weeks. Not this time. Heck, I barely made it into April before mowing the lawn.

Funny you say that. I cut the grass the day before it snowed!

edited April 2020
    With this crisis we're able to see the best and the worst of the people. Or like someone said (I don't remember who, I'm sorry), we see the best from the best people, and the worst from the worst people. Today, what I'm going to share belong to the second ones, unofrtunately.

Lately, some doctors, nurses and even supermarket workers have been reported in the media the "kindness" of their neighbors. They found signs or letters in their buildings, or in the door of their homes, like this one.

7e6n4bxc07x0.jpg

In this letter addressed to one doctor, one neighbor praise him for his work, but at the same time the neighbor ask him to considerer to go to live a special residence enabled for the health workers because there are children and old people living in their building.

So, you're doing a great work, but I don't want you here, so please get out. "Think in your neighbors", he said.

Other people in the same situation found a bottle of bleach in front of their door.

Fortunately these are isolated cases, and the great majority of the people is much more civic than these soulless.
    With this crisis we're able to see the best and the worst of the people. Or like someone said (I don't remember who, I'm sorry), we see the best from the best people, and the worst from the worst people. Today, what I'm going to share belong to the second ones, unofrtunately.

Lately, some doctors, nurses and even supermarket workers have been reported in the media the "kindness" of their neighbors. They found signs or letters in their buildings, or in the door of their homes, like this one.

7e6n4bxc07x0.jpg

In this letter addressed to one doctor, one neighbor praise him for his work, but at the same time the neighbor ask him to considerer to go to live a special residence enabled for the health workers because there are children and old people living in their building.

So, you're doing a great work, but I don't want you here, so please get out. "Think in your neighbors", he said.

Other people in the same situation found a bottle of bleach in front of their door.

Fortunately these are isolated cases, and the great majority of the people is much more civic than these soulless.

That’s a shame as I am sure health care workers are going to great lengths to prevent themselves from getting it. They are not stupid. They don’t need to be told to not get the virus. But I would take the bleach. It’s in short supply right now

Most of us know this whole sensitivity/I’m offended movement has gone way too far. I’ve said for a long time this will be our country’s downfall. We are supposed to get stronger as a people but instead we are digressing and becoming weaker. Less able to handle adversity. Running and crying instead of standing up and fighting. Well here is a perfect example of how harmful this can be.
    My wife works in a warehouse, in the office as HR. The second shift manager has tested positive for corona and it is known that he was there for quite a few days with it. All of a sudden he’s not at work but no one knows why. His assistant manager is very upset. What is going on with Adam (I’ve changed the name, it’s not his real name). He hasn’t missed work in 20 years and he didn’t call in, let me know, he’s not answering my calls. Something really weird is going on and I want to know. So the assistant manager Pete (real name not used again) goes to the head manager Dave (changed name). What is going on? He has it doesn’t he? Dave says I can not say anything about it. Pete presses the issue and wants to know. He explains to Dave that he has small children at home and his elderly mother in law lives with them because she has cancer and needs care. Pete goes on to say that he sits next to Adam all day long and feels he has a right to know. Dave continues to refuse to say anything. Pete storms out and calls my wife, who is the HR manager. He’s furious! Demands to know what’s going on.
    After she gets off the phone with Pete, she wants to know my thoughts on it. She is in a moral conundrum because work says she can’t reveal that information but she knows it’s wrong. I tell her I have always told my supervisors as long as you go to bed at night knowing you did the right thing, you are ok. I had the same situation. I also work in a warehouse. There are 4 accounts here and I manage one. One of the other account managers got it two weeks ago and was out. We were told a manager felt ill and was sent home for quarantine. Everyone else told their crew a manager is out with it. I told my crew Joe (changed name) is out with it. They have interactions with Joe so I feel they have a right to know. This is what I told my wife as my advice to her.
    So my point here is, it looks like our society has their priorities warped due to sensitivity. My wife’s company, based on the norm and standards set by America, have chosen that it would be better to protect Adam’s feelings then to protect the health and welfare of Pete’s entire family. Pete’s mother in law, and anyone else in his family, could very well die if he brings this home with them but to them that is ok as long as Adam’s feelings weren’t hurt.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's bad Banjo but I do not believe it is a question of sensitivity in this case.

To me it sounds that the leadership at your wife's work does not want to deal with the necessary steps that needs to be taken in this situation. As it would involve costs etc.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: are we all wearing face coverings now? :)
    Did you have to improvise something?
    That's bad Banjo but I do not believe it is a question of sensitivity in this case.

To me it sounds that the leadership at your wife's work does not want to deal with the necessary steps that needs to be taken in this situation. As it would involve costs etc.

I have to disagree with you there. The company made a conscious decision that this mans feelings take precedence over the other employees health and welfare and the welfare of his entire family. It’s not a question of the next steps or procedure, it’s a question of people need to know a threat to their entire families health and they are not being informed of it to protect the guy who has the virus because he may feel a type of way if they say it’s him.

Question: are we all wearing face coverings now? :)
    Did you have to improvise something?

My work has not mandated facemasks but my wife’s has so I’m going to say it’s not a government mandate but a per company choice.