Home The Bridge
Options

The Voyage Project (Part 1)

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, though, my view on this tends to coincide most with the comments by @Dirk Gunderson. What matters is using sleep time to recall the voyage -- and thus maximizing your daily Voyage take. So, my usual schedule is to start a voyage when I wake up, hopefully check-in enough during the day to keep it going, and hit recall as soon as it's unlikely to clear another dilemma or I go to bed, whichever comes first. Ideally, I've got enough opportunities during the day to check-in on a strong Voyage and hit 10 hours during that day.

This was also my biggest take-away. I can't keep up with that "ideal" player that Bylo tested, so it's good to know that I can achieve decent results just by recalling those 8-hour voyages if it happens to be bedtime. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more point. Your 8 and 10 hour study doesn't factor in your sleep time at all. Was your 8 hour voyage really 8 + 4 idle while sleeping + 3.2 to recall, or was it 8 hours + 3.2 to recall all during the day?
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    One more point. Your 8 and 10 hour study doesn't factor in your sleep time at all. Was your 8 hour voyage really 8 + 4 idle while sleeping + 3.2 to recall, or was it 8 hours + 3.2 to recall all during the day?
    Before I share our results, I need to explain something contextually. Anybody who has ever run a voyage from 8 to 10 hours already knows that the totals for both Honor and chronitons are higher at 10 hours than at 8 hours so you may be asking what the purpose of this experiment is, and the answer comes down to recall times. The total time an 8 hour voyage is away from the moment you hit send until it returns with your rewards is 11:12 as the voyage requires 3:12 to recall. A 10 hour voyage actually takes 14:00 in total as it requires 4:00 to recall. So really what we were trying to answer was this: is the extra 2 hours of voyage time worth it when the additional 2:48 is taken into account?

In Bylo's simulation of a week of voyages, yes, recall times were factored in. I'm not sure if the spreadsheet lends itself to posting on the forum, so I will leave that to him.

As to the step function, I stated that we were trying to approximate game play. Personally, extending voyages may happen once a week. Less if I can help it so that I can accumulate tokens for a really long voyage. 8-hour and 10-hour voyages are achievable without spending resources, which seems more normal for the average player.

It seems obvious that 72-hour voyages would be the ideal if you really want to minimize the 6-hour start-up costs. Then of course you would want to recall with dilithium to completely eliminate that wasted time. I don't have those kind of resources, but I'm sure those who do would be eternally grateful for a guide on how to spend them.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I intend to post a more thorough update when I wake up this afternoon, but I want to give like a million gold stars to @Matt_Decker for succinctly encapsulating the absolute core of what we were trying to do:
    I think your most valuable takeaway is for players who don't have the crew to hit 10 hours to not worry too much -- you're getting nearly as good a takeaway by keeping 8 hour voyages running consistently.

Giving newer players not only hope, but knowledge that they can play just as hard even if they cannot hit 10 hours. This was intended to be uplifting and inspire both players of all levels, but also to inspire other captains to pick up this baton and run with it...

...and on that note, I am excited to announce that I have reached out to @Exanimus and we will be assisting with a second version of this project where we look at 4 and 6 hour voyages, to see how those results look.

If you are looking at 4, 6 and 8 hour voyages, it may be an idea to include trainers in the results. Players who are at this level might be struggling with trainers, and it could be that they will not have enough until they reliably hit 8 hour voyages.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Actually, moving between the 6 & 8 hour marks, you nearly double your chrons and honor just in those 2 hours, so yeah, it is a big milestone once you have the crew to get you that high. I just started noticing that on my VIP0 account getting past that 6 hour mark is HUGE to start farming chrons!

I think I have also noticed a significant jump in chrons around 14 hours when I have done those extensions. So, my personal thought on this experiment is that it should not compare between 8 & 10 hour Voyages, but between 10 & 14+, since most people are going to have to extend to get to 10+.

Also, I think any Voyages that have been extended to get to 10 hours used in the calculations for this experiment should be eliminated, since you are "paying" for those extra rewards. I think the baseline should be between 8 & 10 hours WITHOUT extending to get your "apples to apples". Just a thought.

Extending doesn’t affect the end result though. Data on 10 hours is data on 10 hours regardless of how you get there

Data yes. But it seems @Bylo Band's intent is to show that going beyond 8 hours to hit the 10 hour+ mark is basically pointless, so why would you be wasteful and use $(dils) or tokens to extend just for a data set, if the goal is not to get to 10 hours?
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, moving between the 6 & 8 hour marks, you nearly double your chrons and honor just in those 2 hours, so yeah, it is a big milestone once you have the crew to get you that high. I just started noticing that on my VIP0 account getting past that 6 hour mark is HUGE to start farming chrons!

I think I have also noticed a significant jump in chrons around 14 hours when I have done those extensions. So, my personal thought on this experiment is that it should not compare between 8 & 10 hour Voyages, but between 10 & 14+, since most people are going to have to extend to get to 10+.

Also, I think any Voyages that have been extended to get to 10 hours used in the calculations for this experiment should be eliminated, since you are "paying" for those extra rewards. I think the baseline should be between 8 & 10 hours WITHOUT extending to get your "apples to apples". Just a thought.

Extending doesn’t affect the end result though. Data on 10 hours is data on 10 hours regardless of how you get there

Data yes. But it seems @Bylo Band's intent is to show that going beyond 8 hours to hit the 10 hour+ mark is basically pointless, so why would you be wasteful and use $(dils) or tokens to extend just for a data set, if the goal is not to get to 10 hours?

Because I have many voyages that crash and burn right before 10 hours so I revive to get the 10 and 12 hour dilemna since I still have the skill points to pass hazards. As an example, the last one I did crapped out at 9:53 and one refresh carried me all the way to 12:38

• Options

This amounts to "why didn't you know the outcome of your experiment before you conducted it?"

Also, if my voyage does at 9:54, then I will probably revive it to get to 12 hours. I can collect the 10 hour data as a small perk.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Doctor 8472Doctor 8472 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I apologize that forum restrictions will not allow me to quote your whole post. I did my best to keep context.
    Actually, I prefer posts that quote only the relevant parts. For the full text, one can still scroll up. So, no apologies needed. On the other hand: my apologies that I now had to do the same thing with your post.
    [...]
    Now, your experiment here tests the hypothesis of the player base. But although Paladin's statements was the cause for the experiment, it does not test Paladin's statement (for that you would have to compare the rewards between 8 and 10 hour mark with the rewards between 10 and 12 hour mark and so on.

If reward drops flatten at 6 hours, as you say (and I agree), then testing 8 hours to 10 hours a bunch of time should yield the same results as 10 to 12, and 12 to 14, and so on. Since players can get to the 10-hour dilemma without a revival, it seemed both a logical approach and a reasonable way to simulate the way players actually play the game.
    Yes, but there is a difference between "rewards of the voyage up to 8 hours" and "rewards between 8 and 10 hours". From your experiments, you can say that the rewards between 8 and 10 hours mark are bigger as the ones before 8 hours. But your experiments does not include information about whether the rewards after 8 hours still grow. Basically, it is the difference between average and marginal rate (or average and derivative).

Paladins statement is: the marginal rate/derivative stays the same after 8 hours.
    The experiment instead looks into the average rate. I also think that this is an interesting topic and there is nothing wrong in following the question that you found more interesting; but I found it worth to mention that the experiment did not cover information about the original statement.
    Actually, that is not relevant if you just want to look at the plain optimal per time reward.
    Our purpose was to determine if 8-hour or 10-hour voyages were more beneficial for honor-farming - including a sleep schedule. For that purpose, recall time is relevant.
    OK, but the sleep schedule does not show in the given average numbers, right?
    So, the recall time information only refers to the part of the three-player simulation done by Bylo Band!? Thanks for pointing that out again.
    == AM == (antimatter)[...]
    For that, I conducted my own experiment and got the result that the average AM for the 90 voyages that ran between 10 and 12 hours was 2775 (with the smallest at 2625), where the average AM for the 346 voyages that ran between 8 and 10 hours was 2738. [...]
    This part is almost interesting. You don't present any skill (stat) breakdown to support your argument, so it carries no more weight than Bylo's assertion. However, you do present a floor AM value for reaching 10 hours, which does support Bylo's conclusion. Banjo, Rayzor, and a couple others have threads dedicated to reaching 10 hours and beyond. I don't want to re-hash any of that here. It appears to be a side observation, anyway.
    I have some maxed-out 5-star ships. So, 2625 AM is basically as low as it gets when I start a voyage and have bad luck with traits. So, that I never had a 10 hour voyage with less than 2625 AM does not proof any floor AM value. It just means that basically all my voyages (i.e. since I started hitting the 10 hour mark), started with at least 2625 AM.
    I have to add that I still don't manage to hit the 10 hour mark with every voyage.
    On the other hand, that I hit the 10 hour mark even with just 2625 AM (aka the smallest realistic* value), shows that there is no realistic* lower bound needed for 10 hours. I can just hit the mark with any starting AM that realistically will come up for me - as long as I have a good crew for the skill combo.

* What does "realistic" mean here? Obviously, there is a needed floor start AM to hit the 10 hour mark and that is 0 AM. With less than 0 AM, you won't ever get to any mark. But also, you can't start with that amount. I think, you also can replace the 0 with the AM amout for a level 1 one-star ship. That is obviously a floor value. But it is practically as irrelevant as it can get.
    This part is almost interesting. You don't present any skill (stat) breakdown to support your argument, so it carries no more weight than Bylo's assertion. However, you do present a floor AM value for reaching 10 hours, which does support Bylo's conclusion. Banjo, Rayzor, and a couple others have threads dedicated to reaching 10 hours and beyond. I don't want to re-hash any of that here. It appears to be a side observation, anyway.
    So, you denounce my statement for focussing on the AM part and not rehashing the skill parts that we all know from the other threads just to then add that you don't want a rehash of these information here? Hmm.

Live long and prosper,
    Doctor 8472
  • Options
    Yes, but there is a difference between "rewards of the voyage up to 8 hours" and "rewards between 8 and 10 hours". From your experiments, you can say that the rewards between 8 and 10 hours mark are bigger as the ones before 8 hours. But your experiments does not include information about whether the rewards after 8 hours still grow. Basically, it is the difference between average and marginal rate (or average and derivative).

Paladins statement is: the marginal rate/derivative stays the same after 8 hours.
    The experiment instead looks into the average rate. I also think that this is an interesting topic and there is nothing wrong in following the question that you found more interesting; but I found it worth to mention that the experiment did not cover information about the original statement.

You lost me. We were testing 8-hour voyages vs 10-hour voyages. Our numbers reflect one vs the other. Nothing more, and I'm pretty sure nothing less, though I won't swear to it.
    OK, but the sleep schedule does not show in the given average numbers, right?
    So, the recall time information only refers to the part of the three-player simulation done by Bylo Band!? Thanks for pointing that out again.

The sleep schedules mentioned are for our three fictional players. We conducted our research voyages as our RL schedules allowed.
    I have some maxed-out 5-star ships. So, 2625 AM is basically as low as it gets when I start a voyage and have bad luck with traits. So, that I never had a 10 hour voyage with less than 2625 AM does not proof any floor AM value. It just means that basically all my voyages (i.e. since I started hitting the 10 hour mark), started with at least 2625 AM.
    I have to add that I still don't manage to hit the 10 hour mark with every voyage.
    On the other hand, that I hit the 10 hour mark even with just 2625 AM (aka the smallest realistic* value), shows that there is no realistic* lower bound needed for 10 hours. I can just hit the mark with any starting AM that realistically will come up for me - as long as I have a good crew for the skill combo.

* What does "realistic" mean here? Obviously, there is a needed floor start AM to hit the 10 hour mark and that is 0 AM. With less than 0 AM, you won't ever get to any mark. But also, you can't start with that amount. I think, you also can replace the 0 with the AM amout for a level 1 one-star ship. That is obviously a floor value. But it is practically as irrelevant as it can get.

You could start a thread called "What is the lowest starting anti-matter you've had on a 10-hour voyage?"

We made a small observation based on a small set of data. If you're having trouble getting to 10 hours on a voyage, consider citing someone who has traits that come up frequently on voyages if you think that is the best way to improve your game.
    So, you denounce my statement for focussing on the AM part and not rehashing the skill parts that we all know from the other threads just to then add that you don't want a rehash of these information here? Hmm.

Live long and prosper,
    Doctor 8472

I will be happy to discuss such things in a relevant thread. Pick a relevant thread, present your argument, and tag me. Banjo has his methods of balancing skills, I have mine, and Bylo has his. Using a particular method to reach 10 hours was not within the scope of the experiment, be it starting anti-matter or skill balance. I'm still experimenting with ways to get more consistent 10-hour voyages. If you have ideas, then I would love to discuss them in a better setting so as not to hijack Bylo's thread. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let people also know they will get the most base and common components running a 4 hour voyage. So running longer voyages will provide more chron, better rarity crew and honor, 8 hour voyages may actually be the better choice.
    Or, if not better, that the extra drop of components that are needed might offset what one gains from longer voyages.

I think the only 2 star component I need is database.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I can not speak for my experiment mates, but I can speak for my own sleep schedule. I am one of those people who wake up randomly at night. Throw in that one of my dogs has to get up and go to the bathroom 2-4 times a night, and I am able to solve dilemnas all night long then go back to sleep. Or if I recall before bed I’m able to send another one out before I get out of bed in the morning
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can not speak for my experiment mates, but I can speak for my own sleep schedule. I am one of those people who wake up randomly at night. Throw in that one of my dogs has to get up and go to the bathroom 2-4 times a night, and I am able to solve dilemnas all night long then go back to sleep. Or if I recall before bed I’m able to send another one out before I get out of bed in the morning

That use to be me too. But for some reason over at least the last year(I think around 2) I have been sleeping though the night. I had to start modifying my play accordingly with faction events. That means using those 9 hours boosts at night before going to sleep.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »

That use to be me too. But for some reason over at least the last year(I think around 2) I have been sleeping though the night. I had to start modifying my play accordingly with faction events. That means using those 9 hours boosts at night before going to sleep.

I don’t know what or why but it just happens. Except for the dog, Einstein. I get up then so there isn’t poop in the basement

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the work y’all have done so far on this project. I look forward to seeing what insights you develop in Part 2. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Paladin. When you suggest adjusting chron drop for components, what would be an reasonable adjustment in your opinion? A direct chron cost for a single copy of the item at the top recommended run?

Sometimes multiple copies drop. Sometimes the run fails to drop what you want. Would you consider these to reasonably cancel eachother out suggesting an assumption of a single run to convert? Would a cost shift of 1.25x be more realistic to reflect practical play?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t change, Bylo, not one bit. If it wasn’t clear that I liked your painting, it’s because of my own failure to communicate. :)
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Paladin. When you suggest adjusting chron drop for components, what would be an reasonable adjustment in your opinion? A direct chron cost for a single copy of the item at the top recommended run?

Sometimes multiple copies drop. Sometimes the run fails to drop what you want. Would you consider these to reasonably cancel eachother out suggesting an assumption of a single run to convert? Would a cost shift of 1.25x be more realistic to reflect practical play?

Average chron costs to obtain items are easily available on the wiki. (Whether you choose to factor in the cost reduction via a supply kit - if, for example, you farm only during Skirmish events - is up to you.) Of course your real costs for farming will vary with every time you press the Warp button or run a mission, but unless you really enjoy math the averages should be sufficient for voyage efficiency calculations.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    We are collecting thoughts and working on what data we want to collect for the next phase of our voyage project. @Paladin 27 's thoughts on components are particularly intriguing. But it also brings its own set of questions.

Is it acceptable to use chroniton costs from the wiki? If not, what method might be better?

Dirk raised my own question about supply kits and skirmishes. I only farm with supply kits, personally, and skirmishes are hit and miss. My thoughts are Supply Kit YES and Skirmish NO. We are open to hearing other thoughts though, of course.

Which 0* and 1* items have a practical chroniton value? This is the bigger and more subjective question. I have an abundance of some components, while others save me chronitons. We don't want to give a chroniton value to items that most players will not spend chronitons to farm. Hopefully this makes sense.

Due to the practicality of collecting data, I think it will be more realistic to pick 4 or 5 high cost items, then lump the rest together and assign an average chroniton cost so we can capture the data on some level. (Sorry if this is not ideal, but we live in a real world and not an ideal one.)

After we answer these questions, it will take take some time to arrange a spreadsheet for data collection. Please let us know if you are willing and able to help us collect voyage data for the upcoming phases of our voyage study.

Thank you!

Edit to specify 0* and 1* items. We may also track 2* databases because I also found that those save me chronitons.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering components, it is also interesting to note that players who achieve longer voyages need different components. For example, when I was new, many of the 2* items mattered to me. Now I have so many that I never have to warp a mission for them. But the "cheap" items that are abundant in the first two hours are the ones I'm always missing. I remember when I would recall always after 2 hours and coordinate my voyages with sending shuttles. I was swimming in cheap items I now lack, but I was waiting an hour to ad-warp a mission for 2* components. That makes your job of choosing chroniton value more difficult. Good luck.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The components get a little complicated.

As @DavideBooks mentioned, as a starting player, the 2* components are important, as are gold trainers. if you can't get to 8 hours reliably, chances are you also need gold trainers and some 2* components so that probably tilts things to trying to get as far as you can up to 8 hours.

For most folks who can reach 8 hours consistently, 2* components other than maybe databases are no longer an issue. Whether or not 2*databases are a need or not is even dependent on other game play decisions. If you pre-farm loads of 3* casings on Pirate Problems during skirmishes as I do, you'll never have a 2* database need.

For 0/1 star components. I think pretty much everyone would give value to 0/1* furs, 1* databases, 0/1* casings, 0/1* clothing patterns. A decent number of folks might also have value for 0* databases, 0/1* power cells, 0* subprocessors, 0* sensors, 1* interlinks, 1* crystal emitters, 1* synthesized polymers, 1* spices, 1* alcohol, and 1* polyalloys.

I would at least reduce the assigned chron value by supply kit value. Beyond that it gets complicated, in addition to possible skirmish discounting some of the missions I run for these drop other items as well, so the cost attributable to each item is less.

• Options
    Considering components, it is also interesting to note that players who achieve longer voyages need different components. For example, when I was new, many of the 2* items mattered to me. Now I have so many that I never have to warp a mission for them. But the "cheap" items that are abundant in the first two hours are the ones I'm always missing. I remember when I would recall always after 2 hours and coordinate my voyages with sending shuttles. I was swimming in cheap items I now lack, but I was waiting an hour to ad-warp a mission for 2* components. That makes your job of choosing chroniton value more difficult. Good luck.

Good point - I remember having to worry about 2* and even some 1* items before some of the later episodes were released, and now I have more than I could ever need. Prime Lorca’s point about not counting chron values from items that are overly abundant is a good one.
    Dirk raised my own question about supply kits and skirmishes. I only farm with supply kits, personally, and skirmishes are hit and miss. My thoughts are Supply Kit YES and Skirmish NO. We are open to hearing other thoughts though, of course.

Two things:

1) Chron costs from the wiki seem reasonable to me as they are usually the result of many data points collected by many people. The real question is whether to always use the lowest-cost mission or to use the lowest-cost ship battle (when possible) to account for people who preferentially farm holoemitters.

2) I figure that I am going to go hard in every Skirmish (for honor accumulation purposes) and do the vast majority of my item shopping while loading up on Intel that I would be acquiring anyway, while doing only very limited farming work on a regular basis for satisfying the daily mission requirements. I feel this approach scales to players of most skill/experience levels, to maximize the benefit of opening supply kits, but do recognize that not everyone uses the chron-hoarding approach that makes this work best.

Given that not everyone uses supply kits, and nobody can use them all the time without a serious dilithium drain, I think it would be appropriate to present the results without supply kits, and anyone who wishes to farm only with one can apply that 25% savings on their own...unless you want to get in real deep when it comes to how it’s not always 25% thanks to missions with base chron costs not wholly divisible by 4.
  • Options
    Good list, Paladin.

0* furs
    1* furs
    1* databases
    0* casings
    1* casings
    0* clothing patterns
    1* clothing patterns

My thoughts are to see if any of these are close to the sort of low-end average and lump them in for streamlined data collection. I would also like to see if there is concensus on this and see if any on Paladin's secondary list are more appealing:

0* databases
    0* power cells
    1* power cells
    0* subprocessors
    0* sensors
    1* interlinks
    1* crystal emitters
    1* synthesized polymers
    1* spices
    1* alcohol
    1* polyalloys

0* databases and 1* alcohol jump out to me. But again, if they are close to that low-end average, then they could be lumped in.

Dirk, how would you feel about accounting for supply kit, then anyone who wants to adjust can add 33% and we can move the rounding errors over to the other side?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk, how would you feel about accounting for supply kit, then anyone who wants to adjust can add 33% and we can move the rounding errors over to the other side?

That seems like a reasonable safety factor to me.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, this is getting exciting! Anybody interesting in volunteering to help us gather data on the 0-2 hour items listed, please let us know. My inbox is open if you are not comfortable replying publicly :)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll see what I can do.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Alright, this is getting exciting! Anybody interesting in volunteering to help us gather data on the 0-2 hour items listed, please let us know. My inbox is open if you are not comfortable replying publicly :)

I can get you info on any voyage stuff. What do you want? Screenshots? Let me know and where to send it.
    Let’s fly!