Home The Bridge
Options

The Voyage Project (Part 1)

Comments

• Options
    JiveDutchJiveDutch ✭✭✭
    Righto .. i modified my numbers to reflect this.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I notice that only 0 to 2 hours drops base (0*) components. 2 to 6 drops only common (1*) components. 6+ hours drops 2* components. And the only component that does drop at all is spices.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    I notice that only 0 to 2 hours drops base (0*) components. 2 to 6 drops only common (1*) components. 6+ hours drops 2* components. And the only component that does drop at all is spices.

Yup, this project has already borne fruit, it is exciting to be a part of.

Actually, I think I am going to find it very tough to go back to longer voyages, I've been doing 6 hour voyages since we started this and I'm finding it very satisfying.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Bylo Band wrote: »

Actually, I think I am going to find it very tough to go back to longer voyages, I've been doing 6 hour voyages since we started this and I'm finding it very satisfying.

Ya, when you created this post I was wondering with your data, if 6 hours might be the better choice. Only problem I do not yet have all the portal superrares, still I think I am going to go 6 hours too.

Edit: while I am gathering data I am going to keep doing 8 hours. Starbase is level 43 so I do not want to waste a voyage supply token by going for 10 hours.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, when you created this post I was wondering with your data, if 6 hours might be the better choice. Only problem I do not yet have all the portal superrares, still I think I am going to go 6 hours too.

I'm sticking with 10 hours for now. I want those Binars (because of the episode), so I'll farm them from voyages for now. The ten hour rhythm generally fits my schedule too. Super interesting experiment, though.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    One minor comment when working on shared files ...

- please don't leave your cursor/selected cell as the first open cell at the bottom of the list ... see picture below

v9uhgcgti2dh.png

the green highlighted cell is someone else ... but I want to add my data:
    1) if I skip a row others might think "why was this row skipped?" - which could lead to a blank row in the middle of the document because people continue to not populate it.

2) I populate the cell/row ... when someone comes back from idle they accidentally write over what I've put in.

--> if you want to leave the sheet open in a browser tab, highlight/select a cell with your name or in the 8 hrs section of the row you are populating. Helps avoid possible confusion. Thanks!

Anyway, yes interesting stuff ...

Will continue to run 8 or 10 hr voyages because I still need to farm some in-portal 4*s, and voyages are a faster method, for me, to do so than opening up the packs that trickle in.
    Key crew I'm looking for are; the Binars (32 in total, gulp!), 1 Mutated Paris, and Indignant Seven for fuse purposes.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a first rate observation about the cursor, thank you for the lesson.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to say thank you to whoever managed to lock the top row of the spreadsheet so the categories stay on top as we scroll down, that was a very useful and kind gesture.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JiveDutch, to do this, after the 6 hour dilemma, take the straight Honor accumulated and add it to the Honor value of all the crew drops you acquired. 4* = 200, 3* = 100, 2* = 50, 1* = 25.

z1z3wgslbqcn.jpg

For example, in the screen shot from the 4 hour mark, this voyage has an Honor total of 200 + 50 + 38 = 288 so far.

And Off The Books Part 1 and 2 as the first two dilemmas... nice!

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I'm sticking with 10 hours for now. I want those Binars (because of the episode), so I'll farm them from voyages for now. The ten hour rhythm generally fits my schedule too. Super interesting experiment, though.

I'm with you. In addition to 2 voyage-specific crew I'm missing (Worf & Picard, from the same 3-parter!), there are several SR crew that were recently added to the portal that I don't have yet (or have but aren't FF). My voyage priorities are getting missing 4* crew, adding honor, and adding chrons to my endless stack of chrons (166k+ as I write this).

For me, there aren't any resources acquired on voyages that make it feel worthwhile to have to manage more shorter voyages in a day, despite what these interesting studies might suggest from a statistical perspective. This thread has been a fun read - great work.
  • Options
    That is a first rate observation about the cursor, thank you for the lesson.

That was my fault. I'm sorry, all! Glad it was pointed out because that was actually something I thought would help the next person to have the cursor at the next starting point. Good to know that I should do it differently.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Here’s a game to play. While doing 6 hour voyages see how high you can get your lowest skill

sxbgfj0i97jk.jpeg

Almost 3000 AM at 6 hours. Man I wish I had the Banjo method going right now

sezvrrb0n9e7.png

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here’s a game to play. While doing 6 hour voyages see how high you can get your lowest skill

sxbgfj0i97jk.jpeg

sezvrrb0n9e7.png

Maximizing your lowest skill is going to result in your AM growing higher than it will in other methods. You're gaining 5AM every skill check until that lowest skill reaches its limit. In other approaches with lower min skill you start to fail sooner so your AM slowly drops.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

sxbgfj0i97jk.jpeg

sezvrrb0n9e7.png

Your screenshot demonstrates one of the patterns/trends I have observed from my own 6 hour voyages, namely that I'm doing pretty well on Honor yields. You've got 681 Honor visible there, I'd guess I'm averaging around 415 since we started, and since I'm able to run two complete 6 hour voyages in a day, I have been pleasantly happy that my ability to continue generating Honor has not suffered during this data collecting time.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

sxbgfj0i97jk.jpeg

sezvrrb0n9e7.png

Maximizing your lowest skill is going to result in your AM growing higher than it will in other methods. You're gaining 5AM every skill check until that lowest skill reaches its limit. In other approaches with lower min skill you start to fail sooner so your AM slowly drops.

Um. Yeah. I knew that
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

sxbgfj0i97jk.jpeg

sezvrrb0n9e7.png

Your screenshot demonstrates one of the patterns/trends I have observed from my own 6 hour voyages, namely that I'm doing pretty well on Honor yields. You've got 681 Honor visible there, I'd guess I'm averaging around 415 since we started, and since I'm able to run two complete 6 hour voyages in a day, I have been pleasantly happy that my ability to continue generating Honor has not suffered during this data collecting time.

I didn’t even notice that til you said something. There’s five three star crew there. That’s pretty dang good
  • Options

sxbgfj0i97jk.jpeg

sezvrrb0n9e7.png

One of the assumptions that I've always gone with for voyages is that the better your lowest skill stat the more "goodies" your voyage brings in.
    By that I mean, you get a reward between each skill test where you either lose 30 AM or gain 5 AM. Now, often when I check there's no reward between those tests (granted I'm usually checking my voyages at 8+ hrs). So the better your scores the more stuff you get until you start failing.
    And so I've always tried to raise my 4 other skills as high as possible when the two main skills hit a required level ... which in turn is one of the reasons the likes of RAF O'Brien/Xindi Insectoid are on so many of my voyages.

(Heh, it is also the reason why I value crew with high third skill over crew with two high main skills (e.g. Borg Queen is better than Forrest for CMD/DIP voyages) ... but this is a massive tangent ...)

So, it would be interesting to see if voyages that only go for 6 hrs, like yours @Bylo Band , have a higher average chroniton (including converted items) and Honor return at 6 hrs than those voyages that end up going 8 or 10 hrs (like mine).
    (I assume that your voyage stats look similar to @Banjo1012 's, but maybe less extreme.)

Now, it could be that my initial assumption is wrong and then all this above is moot ...
  • Options
    Sorry, I hate to be that irritating guy (really), but ...

An observation:

- The standard minimum amount of Honor possible is 240.
    - The absolute minimum amount of Honor possible is 160.

For Standard:
    3 dilemmas that give: 3x 2* crew (150 Honor) and 3x 30 Honor (90) = 240 total Honor.

For Absolute:
    2 dilemmas that give: 2x 2* crew (100 Honor) and 2x 30 Honor (60) = 160 Honor
    1 dilemma (the third only possible I think due to dilemma rarity) that gives ship schematics. --> 160 total Honor.
    Note: There is a possibility that less is obtained if a player gets both parts of a 2-part Dilemma sequence/crew first, but does not choose the crew in pt. 2 and gets a component or something and then the third dilemma is a higher tier dilemma that gives e.g. ship schematics (for a minimum of 80 Honor). This scenario is extremely unlikely.

--> If you find you are populating the 6 hr Honor cell with something less than 240, please double check your numbers. If under 160, triple check. :)
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY good catch! I just looked over the sheet and it seems like 100% of such instances are being reported by the same captain.
  • Options
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Sorry, I hate to be that irritating guy (really), but ...

An observation:

- The standard minimum amount of Honor possible is 240.
    - The absolute minimum amount of Honor possible is 160.

For Standard:
    3 dilemmas that give: 3x 2* crew (150 Honor) and 3x 30 Honor (90) = 240 total Honor.

For Absolute:
    2 dilemmas that give: 2x 2* crew (100 Honor) and 2x 30 Honor (60) = 160 Honor
    1 dilemma (the third only possible I think due to dilemma rarity) that gives ship schematics. --> 160 total Honor.
    Note: There is a possibility that less is obtained if a player gets both parts of a 2-part Dilemma sequence/crew first, but does not choose the crew in pt. 2 and gets a component or something and then the third dilemma is a higher tier dilemma that gives e.g. ship schematics (for a minimum of 80 Honor). This scenario is extremely unlikely.

--> If you find you are populating the 6 hr Honor cell with something less than 240, please double check your numbers. If under 160, triple check. :)

Thanks, @RaraRacing . I figured out how to freeze that first column so I could check mine. I had one that was just 25 above the standard minimum. I knew that was an awful voyage! And then it only gained that standard minimum 80 honor at 8 hours. Luckily I made it to 10 hours because that almost doubled my honor.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Do we have a cut-off point for data collection?
    I just realized that the data for 8 and 10 hours is useful. They stop accumulating items, but they still have all of the items from the first 6 hours. Documenting that chroniton gain from 6-8 and 8-10 will be a little more helpful in making comparisons. Hopefully the new data can be incorporated into the old spreadsheet for 8 and 10 hour voyages to get more data points.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    We probably should have set a stopping point prior to starting, but I was just going to keep posting results at least until the faction event starts. By then we should be pushing 100+ entries.
  • Options
    We probably should have set a stopping point prior to starting, but I was just going to keep posting results at least until the faction event starts. By then we should be pushing 100+ entries.

Works for me. Thanks! :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I just want to give a quick thank you to all those working on this project. Knowing that 8 and 10 hour voyages result in similar honor/chron drop rates makes it easier to recall if I think I might not make it to 10.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo, I just had the most insane voyage, I need to post a few pics here of it!

md7epnkmukv0.jpg
    f8my70yttfob.jpg
    dr2iugtwxnt5.jpg
    o9vzscekft7r.jpg
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so we have well over 100 data points recorded, so first off, thank you to everyone who has been participating! I am not sure how much more we need, but I'll leave the spreadsheet up for everyone to continue to use it.

Since it was a massive community endeavour anybody is welcome to use the data we recorded for any purpose relating to this project, and if somebody wants to take this data and create a true chroniton score, that would be amazing. I am about to go to bed, but I can try and work on it tonight after I wake up and deal with the kids' home school work.

Oh and Sven
    Your Honor totals do not make sense, do you happen to have the data from your voyages still, because your Honor totals are mathematically impossible

I know personally, without having done any number crunching at all, I've had so much fun working on these 6 hour voyages and my chrons/Honor/components have been accumulating so rapidly I may never go back to 8-10 hour voyages, being able to cram two full 6 hour voyages into a single day has really had a positive impact on my numbers.
  • Options
    Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    [quote=
    Oh and Sven
    Your Honor totals do not make sense, do you happen to have the data from your voyages still, because your Honor totals are mathematically impossible
    [/quote]

Unfortunately don't but I took screen shots and transcribed the numbers straight from the screen shots.