Home The Bridge
Options

Steam Skirmish Animations in Event

Comments

• Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Update: there will be phases to this and the first one is rolling back our Steam and Facebook version from 7.5 to 7.4.2.

This is happening now.

Thank you Shan
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder which option they will go with? A Mirror Picard for everyone? Or an HMS Pinafore Data for some? This feels more like a HMS Pinafore Data scenario, but hey, you never can tell.

Can we pick what we want? I want a Juliana Tainer.

No, that's not how this usually works.

I'm sorry. I was being facetious. I would not mind any compensation they offer, to be honest.

EDIT: Even if it's Intel.

So was I. DB had a history of "fixing" mistakes with bigger mistakes. I hope TP is a little wiser, but I guess we'll find out. Unfortunately, I think this is a situation where some people are gonna get the shaft, and few are going to be satisfied with the results. For people like Bylo and myself who put 15+ hours into the start of the event to give ourselves enough of a lead to be able to sleep a few hours during the next 3 days... how do you fairly compensate for that? I don't know.

I'm not sure how they compensate for that, but those are hopefully small enough that it will be on a case by case basis.

I'm at least thankful that they acknowledged the issue, started by rolling back the version, and have said there will be more to come. Giving everyone +1 or 2 rank tiers would probably be a good way to approach this. It does double benefit the people on steam, but these issues never tend to be resolved with making everyone equal, just bringing people back up to what they lost out on. If other people end up ahead it's much harder for that to be resolved back down.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    For people like Bylo and myself who put 15+ hours into the start of the event to give ourselves enough of a lead to be able to sleep a few hours during the next 3 days... how do you fairly compensate for that? I don't know.

Speaking of which, has anybody ever heard of anyone ever dropping Alka Seltzer tablets directly into a cup of coffee? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I wonder which option they will go with? A Mirror Picard for everyone? Or an HMS Pinafore Data for some? This feels more like a HMS Pinafore Data scenario, but hey, you never can tell.

Can we pick what we want? I want a Juliana Tainer.

No, that's not how this usually works.

I'm sorry. I was being facetious. I would not mind any compensation they offer, to be honest.

EDIT: Even if it's Intel.

So was I. DB had a history of "fixing" mistakes with bigger mistakes. I hope TP is a little wiser, but I guess we'll find out. Unfortunately, I think this is a situation where some people are gonna get the shaft, and few are going to be satisfied with the results. For people like Bylo and myself who put 15+ hours into the start of the event to give ourselves enough of a lead to be able to sleep a few hours during the next 3 days... how do you fairly compensate for that? I don't know.

I'm not sure how they compensate for that, but those are hopefully small enough that it will be on a case by case basis.

I'm at least thankful that they acknowledged the issue, started by rolling back the version, and have said there will be more to come. Giving everyone +1 or 2 rank tiers would probably be a good way to approach this. It does double benefit the people on steam, but these issues never tend to be resolved with making everyone equal, just bringing people back up to what they lost out on. If other people end up ahead it's much harder for that to be resolved back down.

I think the closest it will come will be discouraging Steam users by taking away their advantage. Some will press on and take advantage of their (relatively) short-lived boon. Others will realize that they'll actually have to put in the hours over the next 2+ days and just take what they already got. I'm just glad that WRG reacted relatively quickly. Faster than DB used to, anyway. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    There's also the not insignificant issue that IF those on Steam were in fact able to complete skirmishes 25% faster (and I don't know if that figure is indeed accurate or not), the player in first place wouldn't BE in first place, much less leading by a comfortable million point margin after the first day of the event.

I'll laugh if they give up, now that the playing field is being re-leveled.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Yeah bumping the reward tier would probably be my preferred choice.
  • Options
    Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    I just tried on Steam and the feature is gone. All back to normal.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    There's also the not insignificant issue that IF those on Steam were in fact able to complete skirmishes 25% faster (and I don't know if that figure is indeed accurate or not), the player in first place wouldn't BE in first place, much less leading by a comfortable million point margin after the first day of the event.

The % will vary based on your normal skirmish speed, but 20%-25% is about right for people at 2:00 a skirmish beforehand.

The 1st place person might still be up there without the bug, she had won a skirmish without it before. However, some folks decided to stop trying to compete once they realized something was wrong with the accumulation rate Thursday afternoon, and others switched to Steam if they figured out what was happening or heard after this post was made.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah bumping the reward tier would probably be my preferred choice.

Sounds good to me.

Don't you need to change your username now? :wink:
  • Options
    Iknamur_Iknamur_ ✭✭✭

The figure is accurate. And the player in first place would still be in first place with a significant lead.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll laugh if they give up, now that the playing field is being re-leveled.

Reynolds added the tag Bella Ciao to their name, meaning either this is their "beautiful goodbye" or else flying the flag of "The Resistence"; in either case, I highly doubt slowing down is likely.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Iknamur_ wrote: »

The figure is accurate. And the player in first place would still be in first place with a significant lead.

By my math YOU would be in 1st and he'd (she'd?) be comfortably in second. Of course, that doesn't account for For The Many who was leading and dropped out when she realized something screwy was going on. She is FIERCE in skirmishes.
  • Options
    Iknamur_Iknamur_ ✭✭✭
    By my math YOU would be in 1st and he'd (she'd?) be comfortably in second. Of course, that doesn't account for For The Many who was leading and dropped out when she realized something screwy was going on. She is FIERCE in skirmishes.

I thank you for your confidence, but I haven't lost more than 100K points to Reynolds because of Steam, since I figured it out pretty quickly and started using it myself maybe 10 minutes before Paladin started this thread. The 1M point difference between Reynolds and me was due to the fact that she played continuously, while I slept 6 hours. You can argue that the difference between me and you would be much lower, but Reynolds would still be far ahead.
  • Options
    Drago MusevniDrago Musevni ✭✭✭✭
    gavy9d50btpd.jpg

TP said the space battle improvements weren't going to go live in this version. TP lied. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, they've been lying about shuttle percentages for years.
    01000010 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001
  • Options
    There's also the not insignificant issue that IF those on Steam were in fact able to complete skirmishes 25% faster (and I don't know if that figure is indeed accurate or not ...

Just to put the counter point of view. I play on Steam. The bug will make no difference to where I finish because I'll play until I run out of Intel. I just run out a little faster and can go do something else with the extra time. Appreciating that that's because I don't have a zillion crons.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just so I'm clear, I hold NO ill will for the player in #1. Nor am I suggesting they should stop playing or anything ridiculous like that. It's just unfortunate something like this happened at all.
  • Options
    Iknamur_Iknamur_ ✭✭✭
    TP said the space battle improvements weren't going to go live in this version. TP lied. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, they've been lying about shuttle percentages for years.

That is also inaccurate, since the battle improvements aren't actually live. To skip the animation you need to click, otherwise it would load the animation normally. Such a feature makes no sense, if this were a feature the animation would just be taken off completely. My guess is this is just a bug.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:
    - we will not force restart everyone, that would be too disruptive and might create additional issues for players who might not even be participating in this event

- we are pushing a server change to expand the ranked rewards for this event, I will let you know once that is done.

Sounds cool! Thanks.
  • Options
    Update:
    - we will not force restart everyone, that would be too disruptive and might create additional issues for players who might not even be participating in this event

- we are pushing a server change to expand the ranked rewards for this event, I will let you know once that is done.

I've seen DB try to send out rewards by rank retroactively. It was kind of awful. I wish the team luck on altering the reward table before the end of the event. It seems like no small task based on past experience.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'd be down with a forced restart for EVERYONE, not just the Steam players. I could use that time to stretch my hands out and possibly see about getting my eyes to focus again :p