Options

Steam Skirmish Animations in Event

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Iknamur_ wrote: »
    I agree with @·§ë· For the Many , in that more thought needs to be given for how this situation impacts next week & further on. @Banjo1012 also brought up farming for future galaxy Events, so while it’s very much appreciated that you are bumping everyone up one rank tier, perhaps y’all need to look ahead a bit.

I don't think it has any negative impact on future events. Battles are shorter so you can use more chrons to farm, but you get the same amount of items for those chrons. I think most of the players decide how much they skirmish based on chrons or the desired rank, not on a limit of hours. The speed of battles affects directly the ranking and the time involved, but not the inventory.

I farm and skirmish as much as I can in the time I have. Yes I have goals in mind but exceeding them is great too. If you think about it you will realize that faster battle times lead to someone being able to farm more items than I. It’s not far fetched.

• Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    And Data, your numbers are off. My crew can clear a set (from one “Begin Skirmish” button to the next) in 2:04 during most skirmishes so consistently you could tell what time it is by counting sets. This event I’m running 2:03. I time myself as part of my routine. I had one set this event clock in at 1:57 but that was an anomaly. And For The Many has a faster crew than me. I don’t know what it is, but someday I may beg her to tell me. The animations take 4 seconds each. That’s 20 seconds per set, every time, without fail (at least on iOS). If you feel like it, run those numbers and see what you get. I’ve been afraid to.

It's not that I don't believe you, but I've not come across any combo of ship and crew that can end a battle that quickly. For the total time to be 16 seconds, you would need to destroy the other ship in the first 3 seconds after the crew and ship positions appear. For instance, I have Rios on my Skirmish ship because he's got a 4-second initialization. But to get the numbers you're talking about, I would have to win the battles before he even gets initialized. .

I find this very helpful. ;)
    11wadxh4l2xm.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Data, your numbers are off. My crew can clear a set (from one “Begin Skirmish” button to the next) in 2:04 during most skirmishes so consistently you could tell what time it is by counting sets. This event I’m running 2:03. I time myself as part of my routine. I had one set this event clock in at 1:57 but that was an anomaly. And For The Many has a faster crew than me. I don’t know what it is, but someday I may beg her to tell me. The animations take 4 seconds each. That’s 20 seconds per set, every time, without fail (at least on iOS). If you feel like it, run those numbers and see what you get. I’ve been afraid to.

It's not that I don't believe you, but I've not come across any combo of ship and crew that can end a battle that quickly. For the total time to be 16 seconds, you would need to destroy the other ship in the first 3 seconds after the crew and ship positions appear. For instance, I have Rios on my Skirmish ship because he's got a 4-second initialization. But to get the numbers you're talking about, I would have to win the battles before he even gets initialized.

I'd be very curious to learn what crew and ship you might be using to achieve this.

Edit: I should clarify my statements above. When you said "20 seconds per set", it was my assumption you meant 20 seconds from one "Engage" button to the next "Engage" button (as opposed to 20 seconds per battle itself). But if you were indeed talking about total "set" time, then your estimate of 2:03 doesn't match those numbers. 20 seconds per set (which would include the time between "Engage" and the start of the ship animation), plus the 2 seconds to claim VP & bonus reward (for the first 4 battles alone), would only amount to 108 seconds, or 1 minute 48 seconds. That is what I was basing my statement on, regarding having to end each battle in the first 3 seconds after the crew appears.

However, I now realize you must have been referring to the battles themselves taking 20 seconds — which is the length I stated in my original post above. So 2:03 for a round isn't unheard of, although it's very, very fast — I just timed a few rounds and got lucky with a best time of 2:10. But even at 2:03, the savings from using the bug to eliminate the final 5 seconds of each battle would only amount to an additional 20% in VP, not 25%.

For what it's worth, I'm playing on Steam, with a very fast broadband connection, so I can't imagine there would be much difference between the in-between numbers I see and what another player is seeing.

The 20 seconds per set was in reference to the animations (4 seconds x5). Total set = 2 minutes 3 seconds (in phase one). So 2:03 - 0:20. I consider my skirmish crew good, but not superb, as I said, some people are using some combo that’s slightly faster.
  • Options
    If you have a PC or laptop, you can get STT on steam. I find it loads slower than a phone. Maybe it just my low level PC. You 5G cell owners have a distinct advantage over the players with a 3G or 4G phone. If you want to cry, try a game involving soccer/futbol. All the players do is cry in that game.
  • Options
    No select groups, this is a random mistake. Overloaded rewards will get this complaining down some. Get on every platform so you can game the system when you can. This is why I don't view forums very often. Victims, not hard chargers. Odo, my milk is too warm. Do something about it.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11wadxh4l2xm.jpeg

As my fleetmates can attest (because I bore them regularly with my findings), I have done a massive amount of testing ships and crew during Skirmishes. Strangely, while the Krayton performs well in Arena, it had one of the worst showings in Skirmishes whenever I tested it. I will still occasionally try out ships (with varying and different lineups), especially new ones that I've just maxed (the Valdore being the latest), but while some have been "okay", none have risen to the challenge of beating the best. Which are, according to my own personal testing: Discovery (tops for me in this event); Sarcophagus (surprising, but true); NX-01 (a workhorse); and then the Cube and the T'Ong are also decent, but not as good as the previous three in the list.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    11wadxh4l2xm.jpeg

As my fleetmates can attest (because I bore them regularly with my findings), I have done a massive amount of testing ships and crew during Skirmishes. Strangely, while the Krayton performs well in Arena, it had one of the worst showings in Skirmishes whenever I tested it. I will still occasionally try out ships (with varying and different lineups), especially new ones that I've just maxed (the Valdore being the latest), but while some have been "okay", none have risen to the challenge of beating the best. Which are, according to my own personal testing: Discovery (tops for me in this event); Sarcophagus (surprising, but true); NX-01 (a workhorse); and then the Cube and the T'Ong are also decent, but not as good as the previous three in the list.

Do you always play on Steam (with a mouse)? If so, I’d bet my right arm I can tap faster than you can click, which could easily account for the discrepancy between our times.

*EDIT* I can beat pretty much any ship’s cloak by tapping (2 handed technique) unless I’m just not paying attention. That’s more challenging to do on my Steam account with a mouse.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11wadxh4l2xm.jpeg

The krayton is by far the best skirmish ship. No other ship has the 2 second haircut and a 350% insta damage.

Optimal line up is pretty much krayton with the following:
    mirror Spock or ardra (I prefer Spock since can activate early)
    Two of killy/rpc/kes/Garth (one of which is ff)
    And the event crew

You can reliably finish skirmishes in just under 2 minutes as 90% of the battles are over within 5 seconds of the battle starting. If you use any ship other than krayton or valdore you don’t get to activate killy like crew until 6, and the valdore has no built in extra insta damage like the krayton.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you always play on Steam (with a mouse)? If so, I’d bet my right arm I can tap faster than you can click, which could easily account for the discrepancy between our times.

*EDIT* I can beat pretty much any ship’s cloak by tapping (2 handed technique) unless I’m just not paying attention. That’s more challenging to do on my Steam account with a mouse.

Yeah, that could be the difference. I used to play on a tablet, but it's an older version and isn't always the fastest at rendering things, so I switched to pretty much exclusively playing on Steam, despite the issue with not being able to move the mouse around the screen as quickly as I could tap on a touchscreen.

And regarding the Krayton: I did try it once again, and found it occasionally led to a faster battle, but in the long run, not so much, as a number of them just dragged on. And again, this may be exclusively due to me not being able to mash buttons with fingers. But I may try again, subbing out Ardra or Locutus for Garth alongside Killy. Paladin, do you find with that ship, that Locutus isn't needed, or wouldn't be helpful? He's always been part of my Skirmish lineup to help soften up the opponent for the one-two Ardra-Killy punch. But maybe on that ship, it wouldn't make a difference? I sort of figured that Ardra would be the one I could replace, as with that, it appears to be more about just delivering a massive attack than anything else.

Also, my statements in a previous post regarding the ships I use has been slightly amended, since I've found that phase two required some rejiggering. So I switched over to a completely different ship that I haven't used in some time, and it's now got me back to the Killy Insta-Kill. ;)

• Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean Facebook users had an advantage aswell? Was under the impression it was Steam only

Skirmishing takes, depending on your PC, in my experience double to triple the time on FB vs on a halfdecent phone. You can never speak of an "advantage" for FB players in this context, they are screwed anyway. Do they ever get any compensation for the bad performance? It is rather their choice, and if they have none, their bad luck.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

And regarding the Krayton: I did try it once again, and found it occasionally led to a faster battle, but in the long run, not so much, as a number of them just dragged on. And again, this may be exclusively due to me not being able to mash buttons with fingers. But I may try again, subbing out Ardra or Locutus for Garth alongside Killy. Paladin, do you find with that ship, that Locutus isn't needed, or wouldn't be helpful? He's always been part of my Skirmish lineup to help soften up the opponent for the one-two Ardra-Killy punch. But maybe on that ship, it wouldn't make a difference? I sort of figured that Ardra would be the one I could replace, as with that, it appears to be more about just delivering a massive attack than anything else.

There are a few reasons with my lineup that combine to make Locutus be slightly less optimal. at least 1 Killy is FF, I use Mirror Spock who activates before the 4 second point, so I can tap Killy at the same time as the 2 second reducer, and I use killy at 4 seconds with the krayton and not 6 (2 less seconds of benefit from Locutus’s atk).

That said, if any of those aren’t true I can see testing out locutus versus either a second Killy or ardra.

In fact once the next update goes live, I may try out locutus instead of one of the Killy’s or Spock because of the auto play rules. Having locutus activate early would make the insta damage from the ship be off locutus’s atk since it plays left to right at the 4 second mark.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that Locutus is actually useless on my Krayton. I use two Killy’s and they seem to cancel him out because no matter when I activate him he does nothing. The two Killy’s do everything and they are all is needed
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks, guys — I appreciate the info! Even after playing for as long as I have, I know there are still things that can be improved in my play, and especially when learning those things from folks who have excelled in various areas of the game.

++++++++++++++

Edit: So, I just tried the Krayton again, with a couple of variations of Paladin's suggestions above, and while it got me a slightly quicker battle a few times, when it didn't, it was much worse than the ship and lineup I'd been using before. However, I'm willing to concede that this may just be an issue with me playing on a computer and not being able to click things as quickly as if I were just reaching across a tablet touchscreen with my fingers.

For the time being, though, I'm fine with my setup, as it still is much quicker than most I've tried, not to mention that the extra 10 seconds or so (per total round of 5) between my best battle times and a few others' times as noted above is not a concern, since I am generally not shooting for top 25 or even top 50.

I will say that it is a lot tighter in the top 200 than it usually is in Skirmishes, but at least I've gotten a ton of free pre-farming done and have had many nice Honor drops, as well, which makes it all worthwhile for my money.

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys — I appreciate the info! Even after playing for as long as I have, I know there are still things that can be improved in my play, and especially when learning those things from folks who have excelled in various areas of the game.

++++++++++++++

Edit: So, I just tried the Krayton again, with a couple of variations of Paladin's suggestions above, and while it got me a slightly quicker battle a few times, when it didn't, it was much worse than the ship and lineup I'd been using before. However, I'm willing to concede that this may just be an issue with me playing on a computer and not being able to click things as quickly as if I were just reaching across a tablet touchscreen with my fingers.

For the time being, though, I'm fine with my setup, as it still is much quicker than most I've tried, not to mention that the extra 10 seconds or so between my best battle times and a few others' times as noted above is not a concern, since I am generally not shooting for top 25 or even top 50.

I will say that it is a lot tighter in the top 200 than it usually is in Skirmishes, but at least I've gotten a ton of free pre-farming done and have had many nice Honor drops, as well, which makes it all worthwhile for my money.

This could entirely be my own biases and memory stuff, but the Krayton does amazing for me in Skirmishes and somewhat less so in the Arena. Even if Killy (3/5*), the Commandant (also 3/5*), or the EMP miss while Mirror Spock (also also 3/5*) is active, I can usually finish a Skirmish opponent pretty quickly. On very rare occasions do I have to sit around and wait until the power surge is ready again to finish them off.

On the flip side, even with only the Skirmish event crew replaced by my immortal Mountaineer Spock there seem to be a lot more misses in the Arena that leave openings for my opponent to earn a win. Is it due to more hull/shield capacity and therefore a smaller margin for error? Probably, but what if Evasion actually is sort of important in the Arena and is a non-factor in Skirmishes?
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly believe that ship usability is partly dependent on your game and expectations. Some players prefer the Cube, some the Krayton, some the prakesh (which I think is utter garbage in particular). I struggled with skirmish when they first started and thanks to arena prizes I managed to slowly level my T'Ong which meant I was biased towards that ship for a ridiculously long time. I heard some stuff about the Krayton and so when SilverRose mentioned in passing it was her skirmish ship I decided to give it a go. I practiced in arena for a good month first. For me it made a huge difference.
    Since then I've had some great crew tips from Paladin and ForTheMany, both of whom I consider absolute bosses in skirmish. My Mirror Spock is only 2/5 so I do favour Ardra. I have a FF Killy and RPC, both I cited as I use them in multiple events per year. I am also one of those players that are total crap on steam, partly because my laptop is very slow and partly because I'm conditioned to a touch screen now.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Part of the reason why I stuck with the IKS T'ong & RPKirk for so long was its consistency in battle times. I knew I was giving up at least 10s per set of Skirmish battles, but the massive hull seemed to even out my timing.

Then I decided to give the Dakota Krayon (hi, @DScottHewitt !) another go, and ... whoa. I knew the cooldown timer makes a difference, but 2s per battle, 5 battles per Skirmish, and however many Skirmishes ... yeah, that adds up to more than a few hours. Steam/FB users gaining 20s more?

I won’t enter a gunfight with a knife. No more client upgrades on Thursdays, please & tyvm. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    11wadxh4l2xm.jpeg

You need to retest. Krayton can do an entire round of skirmish 5 battles in 1min56sec. It is the optimal skirmish ship.
  • Options
    For those saying D’kora can complete a set in under 2:00, I just wanna make sure we’re measuring the same. I’m measuring from this button...
    36xpqy7d5s2f.jpeg
    ...until I’m back to that button. The closest I get REGULARLY is 2:03 during phase one of this event. But usually it’s 2:04. I had one set clock in at 1:57, but like I said, that was a freak anomaly.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I haven’t read the entire thread... but, has anyone from TP officially responded to this?
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Honestly, I haven’t read the entire thread... but, has anyone from TP officially responded to this?

There was in In game message Friday announcing the response including rolling back the version and expanding rank rewards.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

There was in In game message Friday announcing the response including rolling back the version and expanding rank rewards.

Thank you. I will have to check my in-box.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Drone_oneDrone_one ✭✭✭
    For those saying D’kora can complete a set in under 2:00, I just wanna make sure we’re measuring the same. I’m measuring from this button...
    36xpqy7d5s2f.jpeg
    ...until I’m back to that button. The closest I get REGULARLY is 2:03 during phase one of this event. But usually it’s 2:04. I had one set clock in at 1:57, but like I said, that was a freak anomaly.

Just timed my setup with the D’kora. Slightly slower than yours at 2:20. I am running with Killy, Ardra, Garath of Izar and Soji. A bit faster if I replace Ardra with RP commandant, but then I end up loosing an occasional battle if I am not paying attention (or waste a lot of time as it goes into a 2nd round).

• Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also just timed my set-up. Based on a sample of 1 (highly unscientific and no real conclusions should be made here):
    Borg Cube - button-to-button was 2mins 18
    Krayton - button-to-button was 2mins 23

It could be that I just don't have the right crew for the Krayton to be effective, or there were other confounding factors...
    However, Krayton felt as though it took longer to win a battle.

Again - must point out: 2 samples of size 1 - no real conclusions can be made.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    The folks comparing timings..

The crew is massively important obviously, but also I think you need to be on a good internet connection with the server to minimise load times, contacting starfleet etc.

That probably means playing on a decent enough spec PC with a hardwired ethernet connection, in the US and nobody else in the house hammering your broadband. That could shave 5-10 seconds off a full round.
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    The folks comparing timings..

The crew is massively important obviously, but also I think you need to be on a good internet connection with the server to minimise load times, contacting starfleet etc.

That probably means playing on a decent enough spec PC with a hardwired ethernet connection, in the US and nobody else in the house hammering your broadband. That could shave 5-10 seconds off a full round.

This 100%! I skirmish several accounts on different devices and my all singing all dancing new phone is miles faster than my other devices. Plus we have several devices connected to our internet now the children are home learning.
    I timed one of my battles yesterday, just one, and it was 2 mins and 9 seconds.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a spare mobile device i have with no other apps running, all non-essential services killed. basically nothing to slow down the STT app. When on an enterprise network wifi, with two separate 1 gig internet feeds, i can run a full skirmish in under 2 minutes. I've also run a borg cube and finished a skirmish in 2:07
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    So which AWS data center does STT use? Who is going to be the first person to setup a colo in that data center to reduce network latency?
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    their ELB sits in Amazon West. who knows where the rest of the farm is.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!