Home The Bridge

New Star Trek Series - Star Trek: New Worlds = New Cards

Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in The Bridge
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/star-trek-new-worlds-pike-spock-and-number-one-set-for-new-series/

New show means new crew added to the game. Who would you like to see?

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty excited about it. More Pike, Spock, and Number One sounds awesome!
    Farewell 🖖
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it as well. Anson Mount really rocked as Pike. Banjo will be thrilled 2 if I remember his liking for them right...
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it as well. Anson Mount really rocked as Pike. Banjo will be thrilled 2 if I remember his liking for them right...

@Banjo1012 , your thoughts please?
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Banjo1012 , your thoughts please?

After seeing the end of Discovery season 2, this was the obvious direction to go in. I thought Discovery was going to go this direction. Wasn’t expecting a whole other series but I definitely like it! Those three already have shown they can form a really solid core to a great show

• This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hung out with some of them on the last cruise. Peck is one heck of a dude and Mount is really cool and likes his Fosters :)
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I seem to recall predicting this when they were on Disco Season Two. Glad to see that happen!!!!!!

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    More Bohannon and Mystique in space!!!!! I can't wait.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking great to me! Anson & Rebecca are both outstanding, so can't wait!

And now, Shan can move this to Strange New Worlds...like she does.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone gets excited and posts here. I may even have done it one time, my own self.

And, this is exciting news for everyone who loved the actors portraying the classic characters in Disco.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

grumbles

I apologize for being pedantic. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Hung out with some of them on the last cruise. Peck is one heck of a dude and Mount is really cool and likes his Fosters :)

Foster's is gnats piss. He's gone WAY down in my estimation.
  • Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    Probably going to skip this one too if it's going to be like Disco.
  • [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m excited. Pike and crew are the most exciting thing about the three new series.

Plus that Enterprise bridge...fantastic.
  • edited May 2020
    Quote from Peck: “I believe so much in what we’re doing,” he says. “I don’t think that there’s ever been a better time for ‘Star Trek,’ because of its ideology. It’s all about coming together and using the ways that we’re different from one another for the advantage of people as a whole.”

Hear, hear!

They're describing this as being tonally more like classic trek, both in optimism and more episodic style, so yeah, I'm genuinely excited for the possibilities.

ETA: "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Featuring Spock and Pike Will Be ‘Optimistic and More Episodic,’ Creators Say"

“I imagine it to be closer to the original series than even ‘DS9,'” Goldsman says of “Strange New Worlds.” “We can really tell closed-ended stories. We can find ourselves in episodes that are tonally of a piece.” Of the type of episode that “Strange New Worlds” might attempt that “Discovery” or “Picard” might not, Goldsman says, “It’s hard to do a shore-leave episode in the middle of a long, serialized arc.”
  • Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot wait! It's been on the wishlist of every star trek fan since the end of Disco. More Anson woo!
  • [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot wait! It's been on the wishlist of every star trek fan since the end of Disco. More Anson woo!

I readily admit my man crush on Pike.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    “I imagine it to be closer to the original series than even ‘DS9,'” Goldsman says of “Strange New Worlds.” “We can really tell closed-ended stories. We can find ourselves in episodes that are tonally of a piece.” Of the type of episode that “Strange New Worlds” might attempt that “Discovery” or “Picard” might not, Goldsman says, “It’s hard to do a shore-leave episode in the middle of a long, serialized arc.”

...Has anyone ever suggested DS9 was especially close to TOS?

To illustrate the difference between the two sub-forums, @Dirk Gunderson started a thread there about this, 41 minutes before this one. As of right now, there are only four comments on that one versus nineteen in this thread. Two of the former were mine, and this makes the 20th in this thread unless someone else has chimed in while I was typing.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks for sharing the news! Sounds amazing!
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I think most would have said TNG was the closest series to TOS in tone and being episodic but now that Star Trek Picard has come you cannot say TNG without people thinking Star Trek Picard and this Pike show is going to be much different from Picard. As far as how close or far DS9 is to TOS, I think co-creator Akiva Goldsman is likely referring to the DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations episode and how DS9 was able to make an episode that recreated TOS with DS9 crew and a storyline that interweaved them both.

4np8d5pa48fq.jpeg

Such a great episode I have to put another photo.

4ie2xc3frjlb.jpeg

And one to grow on.

1rvug3jjwitn.jpeg

Let’s fly!
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most would have said TNG was the closest series to TOS in tone and being episodic but now that Star Trek Picard has come you cannot say TNG without people thinking Star Trek Picard and this Pike show is going to be much different from Picard. As far as how close or far DS9 is to TOS, I think co-creator Akiva Goldsman is likely referring to the DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations episode and how DS9 was able to make an episode that recreated TOS with DS9 crew and a storyline that interweaved them both.
    4np8d5pa48fq.jpeg

I think Goldsman was referring to DS9 being the first ST series which totally gave up on being episodic. So imho he tried to point out how similar to TOS and TNG it will be in contrary to everything after those.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually liked Disco season 1 better but enjoyed the Strange New World's cast in season 2 so can't wait
    edited May 2020

4np8d5pa48fq.jpeg

I think Goldsman was referring to DS9 being the first ST series which totally gave up on being episodic. So imho he tried to point out how similar to TOS and TNG it will be in contrary to everything after those.

By the ’90s and early 2000s, a new wave of shows including “The Next Generation,” “Voyager” and especially “Deep Space Nine” introduced elements of serialized storytelling to a structure that was still essentially episodic.

An excerpt from the article https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-spock-pike-episodic-1234608181/?fbclid=IwAR1iVFRy9V1yKEvjeZhf9FaJHFPYE9OMsexNRQVQgibxMrXA-Xb0IQ9kjZw

It is true DS9 is less episodic than TOS and TNG but many DS9 episodes were episodic as the article says it “was still essentially episodic.” DS9 did have ongoing storylines and character development in later seasons but many episodes were still easily accessible for viewers that had missed some previous episodes. But yes essentially I believe your interpretation is close in that Goldsman is suggesting the new show will be without a doubt more episodic than Picard and Discovery and maybe even more episodic than DS9. Goldsman though also points out that there will be some character development.

But episodes won’t be quite so contained as, say, “The City on the Edge of Forever,” the classic original-series installment in which William Shatner’s Kirk and Leonard Nimoy’s Spock meet Edith Keeler, a brilliant social worker played by Joan Collins whom history has fated to die young.

“I think one thing that we always struggled with [as fans] was that Kirk is heartbroken at the loss of Edith Keeler in ‘The City on the Edge of Forever’ and has to be just fine the next week,” Goldsman says. “I think what we would want to do is keep the characters having moved through and recognizing the experiences they’ve had in previous episodes, but to be able to tell contained, episodic stories.
    Let’s fly!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m very excited for this new series. Will be hard for them to screw up the Federation because of where it fits in the timeline, so instead they can focus on the “Strange New Worlds”. Tons of potential.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Wouldn't it be cool now if the powers that be decide to do a massive crossover of DSC, PIC and SNW in a 3 part episode, similar to the WB's Crisis on Infinite Earths? Ironically, they could call the 3 part mini-series "Star Trek: Timelines"!
    Wouldn't it be cool now if the powers that be decide to do a massive crossover of DSC, PIC and SNW in a 3 part episode, similar to the WB's Crisis on Infinite Earths? Ironically, they could call the 3 part mini-series "Star Trek: Timelines"!

There were many book series that had a threat that would affect TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY crew.
    Let’s fly!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

To illustrate the difference between the two sub-forums, @Dirk Gunderson started a thread there about this, 41 minutes before this one. As of right now, there are only four comments on that one versus nineteen in this thread. Two of the former were mine, and this makes the 20th in this thread unless someone else has chimed in while I was typing.

I was wondering if someone would mention the double posting. I read the forums on most recent, so I never actually know which sub forum they are under. I look at all of them, but don't always respond.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be cool now if the powers that be decide to do a massive crossover of DSC, PIC and SNW in a 3 part episode, similar to the WB's Crisis on Infinite Earths? Ironically, they could call the 3 part mini-series "Star Trek: Timelines"!

To be honest, I have zero interest whatsoever. Some crossovers work really well. I think my favorite remains NBC's "Hurricane Saturday", which stranded characters from Empty Nest, The Golden Girls, and Nurses with one another during a hurricane in Miami. More often, though, I've been disappointed because they just felt like what they were: Contrived pretexts for putting different toys in the sandbox. Would I watch a CBS Trek crossover? Of course. Might it be the bee's knees? Yep, and I would cross my fingers that it would. But, as I said, I have no enthusiasm and would just as soon they didn't.