Home The Bridge
Options

How do you like the Skirmish changes?

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Since Rara brought up the topic of chronitons, here's my story. Currently top 30 (though will likely drop out of that rank overnight). Started with just over 13k chrons. In addition to doing countless space battles, I also spent maybe a few thousand on away missions during this weekend, as well (both with a Supply Kit running, of course). Also had a Voyage come back, with about 500 chrons. Bought the special offer 5x, too. After having expended the latest of my Intel reserves, I'm sitting with about 5500 chrons now. So I'm definitely seeing a drain. I wouldn't be surprised if I run out of chrons some time tomorrow.

Talking to a few fleetmates, they've had a worse chroniton ROI than I have enjoyed so far, by several thousand chrons, at least.

In previous Skirmishes, starting with 13k chrons would have been way more than I'd ever use in the course of the weekend. I've never not been able to play during a Skirmish weekend, because I've always had a reserve that I could tap into. This time, that may not be the case, despite having been far better off when I started the event.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Keep: eveything as is.
    The auto and speedup need to be bigger or further apart, really like the idea to move one button to the left to minimize tapparitis a little bit. Also agreeing with DD Smelly it hurts way more on the fingers lol. The changes in scores will gravely effect my ranking though, only finished outside top50 once during skirmish events and this will definately be my second lol
  • Options
    I wonder if the poll numbers would change much if we ask again on Tuesday.

Haha, here here. Lol
  • Options
    Seven ConstanzaSeven Constanza ✭✭✭✭
    I cleared the threshold rewards for a skirmish a day and a half after the event start for the first time because of the auto feature. I usually slog through it all weekend, clearing threshold Sunday afternoon. Still not a favorite but I don’t dread it as much as I did before the change.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep: Intro/outro skip, Speed-up - Change it back: Auto-play
    I had my doubts but they are nice. Keep them all but if I had my druthers I would get rid of the auto. I keep tapping it accidently.
  • Options
    I agree with Seven Constanza, I normally clear threshold in the last 24 hours and am so tired of the battles that is all I do. This time, I am not stoping as the battles take hardly any time, and auto allows me to keep going. This might be my best ever Skirmish finish.
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'd like to see one change:

Custom settings. I can setup the order in which I'd like each ship ability to be triggered in with custom triggers for things like cloak or position checks as well as setting when to trigger "charge up" abilities and then be able to turn auto and 3x on and from that point forward I wouldn't have to touch controls again unless I wanted to manually run a ship battle. Ship to ship combat has a near zero skill value to it, so it's tedium once you've got a crew that works. However, it's a massive improvement over how it was. But don't let that stop the devs from continuing to improve.
  • Options
    Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    Keep: Intro/outro skip, Auto-play - Change it back: Speed-up
    I'd like to see one change:

Custom settings. I can setup the order in which I'd like each ship ability to be triggered in with custom triggers for things like cloak or position checks as well as setting when to trigger "charge up" abilities and then be able to turn auto and 3x on and from that point forward I wouldn't have to touch controls again unless I wanted to manually run a ship battle. Ship to ship combat has a near zero skill value to it, so it's tedium once you've got a crew that works. However, it's a massive improvement over how it was. But don't let that stop the devs from continuing to improve.

I could not agree more. In fact, if you could create a custom, "when to trigger a charge up", that would negate a lot of my argument from the last time I posted.

(That is, of course, only if said "when to triggers" where on all the time and you didn't have to 'reactivate' them every battle.)
  • Options
    I was so not engaged with previous skirmish game play, I would regularly nod off for seconds+ in a battle, wake up, and then still win the battle. I'm much more engaged with skip and speed up taps added in.

Going from ~2.5 minutes (most time spent waiting) to ~1 minute (mostly tapping) is the biggest event improvement since the prng crit was removed from expeditions.

And if I wanted to make it easier to *ahem* multitask during game play, now I could hit skip + auto.

I'm gonna call this a win and keep it moving.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Keep: Intro/outro skip - Change it back: Auto-play, Speed-up
    What is the point of a game that plays for you?
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Since Rara brought up the topic of chronitons, here's my story. Currently top 30 (though will likely drop out of that rank overnight). Started with just over 13k chrons. In addition to doing countless space battles, I also spent maybe a few thousand on away missions during this weekend, as well (both with a Supply Kit running, of course). Also had a Voyage come back, with about 500 chrons. Bought the special offer 5x, too. After having expended the latest of my Intel reserves, I'm sitting with about 5500 chrons now. So I'm definitely seeing a drain. I wouldn't be surprised if I run out of chrons some time tomorrow.

Talking to a few fleetmates, they've had a worse chroniton ROI than I have enjoyed so far, by several thousand chrons, at least.

In previous Skirmishes, starting with 13k chrons would have been way more than I'd ever use in the course of the weekend. I've never not been able to play during a Skirmish weekend, because I've always had a reserve that I could tap into. This time, that may not be the case, despite having been far better off when I started the event.

I'm just not seeing it ... I am now +1000 chronitons! without purchasing any of those offers.
    - 20.6k Chronitons (with a 500+ voyage coming in shortly)
    - 9k Intel left to spend
    - almost 700k VP - rank 1690 approx.

Granted, I didn't play a single skirmish battle yesterday (only did enough in-game to get the dailies) because I was out playing golf and then went to the beach ... dropped to rank 2000 or so.
    Played a little this morning, but am about to go out into nature again in a bit, so I'm out for today.
    Might pick up one of the deals to be able to purchase more post-mega packs ... undecided as of yet.

End goal for me, a mediocre player ... top 1500 ... have plenty of time Monday to make up rank, so we'll see how far my chronitons drop by the end ... will make sure to post it here.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    I would have preferred them to fix the OCD nightmare that is 76/150/300 splits on chron rewards TBH. That haunts me.

76 ... ::shudders:: 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    I'm just not seeing it ... I am now +1000 chronitons! without purchasing any of those offers.
    - 9k Intel left to spend

Granted, I didn't play a single skirmish battle yesterday (only did enough in-game to get the dailies) because I was out playing golf and then went to the beach ... dropped to rank 2000 or so.

I chalk it up to the fact that chron drops are incredibly streaky. In past Skirmishes, I have gone hours without getting a single one, and then other times had segments of 20 minutes or so where I made thousands. Suffice it to say that with the 3 million+ VP I've earned, I've played many more rounds than someone who's in the range where you currently find yourself. And thus, those streaks have balanced out.

For much of the first 2 days, my ROI was very good, then Friday night and Saturday, that started to turn. Overall, it seems to be well in line with what I often experience in Skirmish events — usually ending up in the top 500 — where the amount of chronitons I make back is decent, but definitely not even close to a 1:1 ratio.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    The changes have make the event alot easier to play. Downside is that normally I be finish by now and still that still be ranking better then 1,000. At the moment I,m not sure that I will be able to stay in the top 1,500 unless I can find time before and after work to carry on playing this event. So I,m not sure if the changes are a good thing.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to skirmish two accounts on separate devices at the same time. This was made possible by loading screens. Now... If only we could get WRG to add a skip button to the loading screens... :D

It felt pretty productive to skirmish on two accounts. I find myself leaning toward "leave everything as-is." This is the first event where my alt cleared thresholds - and that's on normal difficulty.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Spock-OSpock-O ✭✭✭
    Other (Please explain.)
    Great to see mouse recorders being fully utilized. Much easier now, less clicks to record, tap tap to 3x tap to auto....less mouse movement, less chance for a timing issue, well done!
  • Options
    Holy crap, anyone have any idea what top 1000k is looking like in terms of VP?
  • Options
    [10F] Unnar[10F] Unnar ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Holy crap, anyone have any idea what top 1000k is looking like in terms of VP?

Here is 800. nqlh08e8wb1m.png

Edit: and I assume you were trying to ask about top 1k, not 1M. Don't think we have that many players. :smile:
  • Options
    Unnar Too wrote: »

Edit: and I assume you were trying to ask about top 1k, not 1M. Don't think we have that many players. :smile:

Hi there, thanks. Yeah I meant 1k lol, if we had 1M players I would hope the reward structure would be different.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Please explain.)
    I was able to skirmish two accounts on separate devices at the same time. This was made possible by loading screens.

I was able to do this too. I think I’d like the battles harder so it makes using manual vs auto more of a choice.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here is close to rank 500. It is about 2.5 times my normal score, but I've played less than half the normal time and felt no stress about needing to play. I've just raked in the rewards. I only stopped because I ran out of things I need. I may do a little in the morning, but I'm confident I'll stay in the top 1500.
    xxww5ozwlbbn.jpg
    Edit: As far as chronitons go, with my normal goal of 650K to 750K and my normal voyage and daily activity and crew building, I expect to lose a few thousand chronitons. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm only down about 4K. I don't pay close attention anymore since I have more chronitons than I can possibly use. But it once mattered to me, so it may matter to others.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    - 9k Intel left to spend

I chalk it up to the fact that chron drops are incredibly streaky. In past Skirmishes, I have gone hours without getting a single one, and then other times had segments of 20 minutes or so where I made thousands. Suffice it to say that with the 3 million+ VP I've earned, I've played many more rounds than someone who's in the range where you currently find yourself. And thus, those streaks have balanced out.

For much of the first 2 days, my ROI was very good, then Friday night and Saturday, that started to turn. Overall, it seems to be well in line with what I often experience in Skirmish events — usually ending up in the top 500 — where the amount of chronitons I make back is decent, but definitely not even close to a 1:1 ratio.

This morning:
    - Rank 2.179 - VP 792k on the nose (ended up not doing anything on Sunday either)
    - 22.653 Chronitons and 1500 Intel.

Lunch Update:
    - Rank 1.582 - VP 1.085.100 (my highest VP total ever was around 1.3 million)
    - 20.868 Crontions and 500 Intel.

Starting Chronitons on Thursday was 19.5k, so still up 1,3k ... still a ways to go, so we'll see ... let me just put it this way, with all the comments previous to the event about the new set-up, I was expecting to be down 5000 Chrons at this time for my goal of top 1500.

The only sad realisation I've come to is that my top rank ever of 215 (also in a Skirmish) will likely remain so forever, as real life and auto battles just do not mix ... I used to enjoy Skirmish events because I was able to see a good reward for the time I had available for the game ... the VP needed now to even just reach top 1500 is just stupid.
    I don't have lofty goals like you or Paladin and many other forum regulars ... but if this is what it takes for even modest goals then it is just not for me anymore. Ah well.
  • Options
    I think the new is good, but that the points needed to place well are way inflated. I never had the time to use all my intel, at least now I do, I had hoped to get into the top 1500, but that would still take multiple hours of extra play that anyone with a life just does not have.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    After my own experiences with the event and reading about everyone else’s, I’ve come to the following conclusions:

-keep the intro/outro skips
    -for events only, remove auto-play and the speed-up options

I still really like both of those things in the Arena. They help reduce the time spent on perhaps the most onerous and least productive of the daily missions, particularly for someone like me who only does Arena battles to complete dailies and is unconcerned with rank thanks to the choice of schematics for each month.

For Skirmish events, however, it does take away from one of the things I liked best about events: being able to play while doing something else in a relaxing manner. If only the auto-complete system is removed, running battles at 3x speed is no longer relaxing - you have to pay constant attention like a Galaxy or Expedition event. And without the speed boost, why bother having automation at all?

I don’t imagine it would be easy to have different code running battle interfaces for events and for the Arena or regular ship battles. And if that’s the case, I would rather give up automated Arena battles than stop enjoying Skirmish events.

Some good points. I think I would be comfortable with this, but for different reasons. The 3x speed makes my Killy less valuable. It used to be a significant advantage in skirmishes to be able to earn VP more quickly with Killy immortalized. That is no longer the case. Now Killy only shaves off one, maybe two, seconds each round. I got my use out of her up to this point, but now that class of skirmish crew just isn't needed anymore.shaving off the intro/end animation and taking away 3x speed would make Killy and others even more valuable than before.
    Farewell 🖖