Home The Bridge
Options

Gauntlet since Red Angel

RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
Has anyone else noticed since Red Angel appeared Gauntlet rounds have become skewed.
Many rounds I think I should have won and would have done in the past seem to be destroying me.
Star Truckerz
It's only my opinion but....

Comments

• Options
    No, I have lost some I thought I should have won, but know I might not.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Par for the course. Had several Gauntlet matches since I've been playing, where the exact Crew would face each other. One with lower Rolls wins quite often. Depends on which end of he range each hit rolls, and Crits......

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done the Gauntlet since they added the Red Angel.

I am filled with despair every time I lose because I don't have the Red Angel.

Kind of like when I didn't have Armus or Caretaker or Guinan or Locutus.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exanimus wrote: »
    I don't know that the game forces a loss any more or less than usual. But what is noticeable is an expected shift because of interest. I actually had 6 walls of Caretaker in a row. Not a complaint, but being competitive now costs considerably more merits that people who haven't had an interest I'm a while likely have to spare. The shift to a more powerful general representation even at the low end is disrupting the ability to maintain a win streak even at lower ranks. It is certainly a more expensive activity, though I wouldnt go so far as to say the mechanics in the background have changed. Again, the shift was expected, just irritating.

Well said. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I'll admit, it is a struggle at times to accept how Gauntlet works, I am almost always competing very hard and am one of the crazies that actually drops (too much) dilithium in there, and if I was going off of a strict return on investment model of analysis I'd go bonkers given how few times I've actually won the "prize" vs all the reports of people who casually announce they hit the jackpot TWICE in a week from finishes in the 50s or similar stories, but I'm just enough of a contrarian to enjoy the process. Mostly.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    When there is a new crew to chase, the losses are extra frustrating. When you're trying harder and picking matches more carefully, you're more invested. When you still end up losing, the defeats are even more emotional. I don't think there are game mechanics at work here, but I certainly wouldn't swear to it.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I’ve noticed is more people playing the way Bylo plays (no criticism, just using the example). A few days ago, my gauntlet leader had 8100 pts at the 24hr mark. :o So basically it’s harder to win one for those of us that don’t use Dil, but otherwise it’s business as usual for me.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    The only thing I’ve noticed is more people playing the way Bylo plays (no criticism, just using the example). A few days ago, my gauntlet leader had 8100 pts at the 24hr mark. :o So basically it’s harder to win one for those of us that don’t use Dil, but otherwise it’s business as usual for me.
    I think I get away with it for 2 reasons. First, I called my shot in advance so people are mentally prepared...

ve5n6ewsausr.jpg

...and 2, I think people know that I won't win so at the end of the day it isn't such a big deal :p
  • Options
    RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    My wins are about 40% atm I normally run at about 60 - 80%
    Maybe it's because there are more people returning to play.
    I am not sure why. But I am sure there has been a shift.
    I am not complaining about rewards those I put down to RNG it's the match ups that are getting to me.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one was closer than the numbers said it should have been.....

6ve8uahpvkq1.png
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, look. It's this thread again.
  • Options
    Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gauntlet is definitely geared towards luring people into micro spending their dilithium and merits in pursuit of “the prize”.

I was lucky enough to get a red angel early on, from a 12 win streak crate. So, i wont be dropping crazy amounts of dilithium to try and get another.

For those who do feel compelled to drop dilithium in this pursuit, just a friendly reminder that IF your gauntlet crate contains a legendary crew, there is only a 1/5 chance that it will be the red angel. Just putting it in perspective folks. Manage those expectations.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Gauntlet is definitely geared towards luring people into micro spending their dilithium and merits in pursuit of “the prize”.

I was lucky enough to get a red angel early on, from a 12 win streak crate. So, i wont be dropping crazy amounts of dilithium to try and get another.

For those who do feel compelled to drop dilithium in this pursuit, just a friendly reminder that IF your gauntlet crate contains a legendary crew, there is only a 1/5 chance that it will be the red angel. Just putting it in perspective folks. Manage those expectations.

The odds for the featured gauntlet crew member is higher than the odds for the other gauntlet legendaries. How much more TP has not said. You are right though that the odds of getting one is low so you have to play a lot of gauntlets to get it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

The odds for the featured gauntlet crew member is higher than the odds for the other gauntlet legendaries. How much more TP has not said. You are right though that the odds of getting one is low so you have to play a lot of gauntlets to get it.

From the way they described it when they made the change, the odds of getting the featured crew is equal to the combined odds for the other crew. So let's say 1% for featured crew and then 1% for other gauntlet crew. If you hit the 1% for featured crew you get red angel. If you get the other, it then does a second spin to decide between which of the other crew you get.
  • Options
    Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

From the way they described it when they made the change, the odds of getting the featured crew is equal to the combined odds for the other crew. So let's say 1% for featured crew and then 1% for other gauntlet crew. If you hit the 1% for featured crew you get red angel. If you get the other, it then does a second spin to decide between which of the other crew you get.

Interesting. Did not know that, but that explains why i ended up with so many Armus’
  • Options
    As others have already mentioned, the gauntlet odds are heavily weighted in favor of the defender. The defender, on average, will score higher values within their skill proficiency ranges as well as more criticals, and they will always win ties.

Most of what you posted is spot on, but when there is a tie there is an additional roll to add 1 point to either the defender or the attacker. It is definitely possible to win ties.

On a tangent, I (had) gone back to pursuing a more rigorous red shirt strategy and the number of times that a skill combo would pop up for a crew I just sacrificed regularly happens 3-5 times in a row. Everyone always focuses on the gauntlet match roll outcomes, but a much heavier thumb is on the scale for match selection options.
  • Options
    Since I lose more often than I win, I play roughly a dozen matches every day where I'm the underdog. It's simply because, after any hope of further rewards or winning streaks is gone, I still need to tank each crew for the sake of eventually reaching 20K matches. So I do regularly see the shoe on the other foot, as it were. And I can tell you that, all things being equal, defending underdogs win more matches than attacking underdogs do.
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III